• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Shiny Pokemon in HGSS

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I didn't run into too many shinies in HG/SS, but I did catch a shiny Mewtwo in HG before I lost it. In SS, I caught a shiny Tentacool and Golbat, which was surprising, since I never saw more than 1 shiny in the same game that time since Platinum.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Early on, I found a shiny Bellsprout in HG. Luckily, it was only two levels behind the regular Bellsprout I already had, so I replaced it with my brand new shiny one. Tendrils the Victreebel is now an awesome powerhouse.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2011
I have played pokemon for years, and, never got one shiny. I hear there's stuff you can do to get them, like go to herds and stuff, but, I never cared to.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I have played pokemon for years, and, never got one shiny. I hear there's stuff you can do to get them, like go to herds and stuff, but, I never cared to.
There's no 'herds' for shiny Pokemon - you can use the Pokerader to chain for shiny Pokemon in DPPt but beyond that and the Masuda breeding method (and RNG I suppose...) there's no other way besides being lucky.

I have found two shiny Pokemon in HGSS thus far! Both on my monotype runs - one is a Donphan in Victory road, and another was a Miltank.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2012
I got a shiny roselia while trying to train for the elite four in platnium. i was shocked XD. um my second shiny i just finished plying soul silver and i wanted to restart with a chikorita. I have started with a cyndaquil. I wanted the chikorita to be female. so after 2 restarts if it being male i restarted again. i was browsing to click on chikorita when i thoguth I saw one of the pokemon seemed odd. I went back and it was a shiny cyndaquil O_O I was shocked lol still want a female Chikorita but im happy with my shiny. it was unexpected. I didnt know you could get a shiny starter XD. I've been playing since the old red and blue and those are my only shiny encounters.

my little brother has caught 2 shinys too one Ratatta outside of Goldenrod and a Phanpy by Backtorn. He's fairly new to pokemon and he's so lucky!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Unfortunately I've had no luck in scoring myself any shiny pokemon in HGSS. Although I caught myself a cute little swinub on the original gold. Other than that, I don't think I've come across any other shiny pokemon across my other games. I've got a shiny Tyranitar in Pokemon White, but I recieved that through trade. (Which I'm sure doesn't count.) I really wish I would find a shiny Pokemon in HGSS, since it's one of my fav games -- but I supppose it depends on luck and then the determining factor how much you play the game; which for me isn't a lot anymore. :x

Last edited:

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I have been playing for 5 years, never to even encounter a shiny. I must be unlucky, because im sure i have encountered more than 1800 wild pokemon easily.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Don't bump threads over a month old since the last post, please.

That said, I'll leave it open as it's a topic that usually gets a lot of posts anyway.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I've caught a shiny SUNKURN, (evolved into a SUNFLORA), shiny VULPIX, shiny GRAVELER and of course the scripted shiny GYARADOS.

It's funny that I decided to stop playing any emulators until I got a shiny on a REAL POKeMON game for the DS and before that, between various emulators and previous games I had never caught a shiny until I bought SoulSilver.

And I'm always proud to mention I found my shiny SUNKURN long before I got to the scripted GYARADOS.

Furthermore, when I encountered my shiny SUNKURN I was, at first, skeptical; (the alternate color palette isn't much different for a non shiny SUNKURN) so I made sure I saw the red star (even after seeing the signature shiny sparkles upon the beginning of the battle), then I went on google and made sure the red star meant shiny. :P

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2012
I caught a shiny Onix in my SoulSilver version. Other than that, I don't think I've caught a shiny Pokémon before. I'm somewhat sure that I encountered a shiny Pokémon in Yellow before, but I didn't know what it was at the time, and it was a Pokémon that I didn't really want, so I let it get away. Oh well...

Meru

Pickle Barrel
Years
Well, my first shiny was a Golduck but, it was in Pokemon Black. (Caught it btw. Named her Gummy. xD)
In Soul Silver my first shiny was a male Ponyta I caught and named Meteorite <3
Those are the only shinys I've ever encountered out of all the pokemon games I played.

Years
In my SoulSilver, aside from Red Gyarados I have caught two Shinies - a Graveler and Farfetch'd. Both are male.

Years
In all my years of playing pokemon, I am yet to encounter a shiny. Go figure. I could probably RNG one, but it's not worth it.

Red99

World Champion
Years
I have never seen or caught a shiny, other than the red gyarados, which is unfair because. my older brother has caught over 10 shinys in the course of one day. Shinys never come when you're looking for them.

Years
I've had my fair share of shinys. I've had a shiny ditto, whismur (now an ev'd Exploud), Caterpie, and giratina. I found a shiny weezing and now i regret not using the masterball but it used self destruct >.<

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I saw a Red Gyarados in SoulSilver. I think it was at the Lake of Rage... Made it faint too!

That is all.

ShinyJohtomaster

Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
As a shiny hunter, I feel obligated to say that I've found loads of shinies. Not true. I've found 2 Cyndaquil (one in Soul Silver, now a Typhlosion), one in Heart Gold (now a Quilava). In Silver, I found a shiny Totodile without even hunting it. I was just 5 and thought something was wrong with the game. I have the red Gyarados. Then on Emerald, I found a shiny Lotad while looking for a Ralts. In Ruby I found a shiny Zigzagoon, but I was on my way to beat May the first time, so I couldn't catch it. I have a shiny Charmander that took 6-7 hours of soft resetting on my Fire Red. I'm currently hunting Lugia on SS right now. Day 6 of that hunt.

Squirtle Is Life

Casual Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 21, 2012
I caught a shiny pokemon the other day in heart gold it was a drowzee I evolved it and nicknamed it Pinkno. O_O

As a shiny hunter, I feel obligated to say that I've found loads of shinies. Not true. I've found 2 Cyndaquil (one in Soul Silver, now a Typhlosion), one in Heart Gold (now a Quilava). In Silver, I found a shiny Totodile without even hunting it. I was just 5 and thought something was wrong with the game. I have the red Gyarados. Then on Emerald, I found a shiny Lotad while looking for a Ralts. In Ruby I found a shiny Zigzagoon, but I was on my way to beat May the first time, so I couldn't catch it. I have a shiny Charmander that took 6-7 hours of soft resetting on my Fire Red. I'm currently hunting Lugia on SS right now. Day 6 of that hunt.
Nice story! Good luck catching shiny Lugia! That would be awesome!

Last edited:
Back