Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old July 13th, 2012 (12:06 PM).

Sorry if this has been asked before but I absolutely cannot find it. How can I edit the beginning talk with prof. Oak in FR/LG right when the game starts like when Oak asks what your name is, what your rival's name is, etc.
Old July 13th, 2012 (12:26 PM).
Legendary Trainer ZX

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
Quote originally posted by Reum:
Sorry if this has been asked before but I absolutely cannot find it. How can I edit the beginning talk with prof. Oak in FR/LG right when the game starts like when Oak asks what your name is, what your rival's name is, etc.
That would be using the program Advance Text.
Old July 13th, 2012 (12:27 PM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote originally posted by FrozenInfernoZX:
I am currently doing some scripting. Not wanting to waste free space I decided to start off by editing existing scripts (reusing their offsets to create entirely new events). If my new script is larger than the original script in terms of size, does the script editor automatically repoint the script to a place with free space or would other scripts/things in rom get overwritten?
Yes, it will overwrite the other scripts. That's why I'm a strong proponent of Rom Bases with every script removed. It gives you greater control of scripts and where they go, and you aren't limited to a pre-existing script size.

Quote originally posted by SacredMurathJohn:
The SS is in the attachment.
Also, do you happen to know which palette you used while editing this?

Quote originally posted by Reum:
Using Advance Text will allow you to edit the dialogue. Nothing but ASM will let you edit the intro itself.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old July 13th, 2012 (01:26 PM).
Legendary Trainer ZX

Okay, so I currently have 6-7 scripts inserted to my first city. So I should be fine as long as keep scripting here on out? Such as not reusing any other scripts and just reusing the offsets? (By offsets, I mean that box you put the $ number in Advance Map).

Or just delete all the scripts in the game, (manually through each map). The thing is that if all the existed scripts are deleted, and I want to reuse the offset, where would I be able to find the offset? Or when deleting a script through advance map, does the script turn into freespace?
Old July 13th, 2012 (02:05 PM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by MissDigitalis.

When I try to open my APIE I'm told that the INIs are not compatible. Can anyone help?
I'm hacking fire red so it should be BPRE right? I've gone down my list of all my INIs and none of them are supposedly compatible with my ROMs.

To be more specific my error message is "the ROM is not compatible with any files in the INIs folder"

Old July 13th, 2012 (02:11 PM).

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Okay, so I currently have 6-7 scripts inserted to my first city. So I should be fine as long as keep scripting here on out? Such as not reusing any other scripts and just reusing the offsets? (By offsets, I mean that box you put the $ number in Advance Map).

Or just delete all the scripts in the game, (manually through each map). The thing is that if all the existed scripts are deleted, and I want to reuse the offset, where would I be able to find the offset? Or when deleting a script through advance map, does the script turn into freespace?
Deleting scripts can be done a few ways. Open XSE and do one of the following:

1. #removeall 0xOFFSET. This will completely delete a single script from the game, turning the space it occupied into 0xFF. This includes strings, Pokemart data, applymovement data, goto and call commands.

2. #remove 0xOFFSET. This will delete one part of a script: Basically, just the commands. Strings, Pokemart data, applymovement data, and scripts that are called via "goto" or "call" are preserved for future use.

Note: #removemart, and #removemove also exist. They remove Pokemart data and Applymovement data, respectively.

3. #erase 0xOFFSET 0xLENGTH. This will take the bytes starting at 0xOFFSET, and ending LENGTH bytes from that offset, and turn it into free space. Example: #erase 0x800000 0x5 will erase 0x800000, and the five bytes after it.

4. #eraserange 0xOFFSET1 0xOFFSET2. This will take the bytes between OFFSET1 and OFFSET2 and turn it into free space. Example: #eraserange 0x800000 0x900000 will erase everything between 0x800000 and 0x900000.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old July 13th, 2012 (02:36 PM).
ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by redriders180:
Also, do you happen to know which palette you used while editing this?
If I knew the pallette, I would change with APE and fix it to normal colors.
Old July 13th, 2012 (03:36 PM).
Legendary Trainer ZX

Okay, I used it. And now the script has a bunch of #raw 0xFF. Then the old script is all the way at the bottom. Is that normal?
Old July 13th, 2012 (03:38 PM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by redriders180.

Quote originally posted by SacredMurathJohn:
If I knew the pallette, I would change with APE and fix it to normal colors.
The badges' palette is odd...when I tried to use other colors besides the first five, the game would crash when I opened the trainer card. Be careful if you do edit the palette...it might cause similar pitfalls. Make a backup, of course, and if the game does do something crazy, you'll just have to use the old palette.

Anyway, the palette is either at 0x3CD2C0 or0x3CD2E0. Both of the palettes at these offsets are identical, so there's nothing I can do to determine which is the right one. Just try both and see what you get.

Okay, I used it. And now the script has a bunch of #raw 0xFF. Then the old script is all the way at the bottom. Is that normal?
The commands I gave you fill the space occupied by the script with 0xFFs. They would be interpreted as #raw 0xFFs by XSE if you tried to decompile them like a script. So yes, it is normal.

Actually, which of the four did you use? When I use #removeall, nothing shows up at all when I decompile the script.

Old July 13th, 2012 (04:09 PM).
Legendary Trainer ZX

Okay, and when looking for freespace, how do I know how much to look for? The default in pksv is 0x100. Thanks for the help by the way.
Old July 13th, 2012 (04:12 PM).

Okay, and when looking for freespace, how do I know how much to look for? The default in pksv is 0x100. Thanks for the help by the way.
Just use dynamic offsets...no need to look for free space, since XSE will do it automatically. As for the people who use the free space finder to find offsets, and then take those offsets and use them for dynamic offsets, you're wasting your time. Just being every script with #dynamic 0x800000...its less work for everyone

Old July 13th, 2012 (07:29 PM).

Oh, I figured it out. In case anyone else was wondering how to fix this you just have to reinstall the INIs that come with the main program.

Old July 13th, 2012 (07:30 PM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by FrozenInfernoZX.
Legendary Trainer ZX

Thanks alot man. I appreciate it. I am starting to get the hang of things. Almost finished my first town with fully functional events!

Edit - Quick question. What exactly does setvar do?
Old July 13th, 2012 (09:05 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
I have a question. Does anyone know if there is any limit to how many scripts you can assign to one map? Or is it basically infinite?
Old July 13th, 2012 (09:29 PM).

Quote originally posted by CrystalStatic:
I have a question. Does anyone know if there is any limit to how many scripts you can assign to one map? Or is it basically infinite?
As far as I can tell, the theoretical max for each type of script (Person, script, or signpost) is 255 per. However, only 16 person events can be displayed at a given time on a given screen. Otherwise, I think that's it...although it'd probably lag if you put that many scripts on a map.

Old July 13th, 2012 (09:37 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
As far as I can tell, the theoretical max for each type of script (Person, script, or signpost) is 255 per. However, only 16 person events can be displayed at a given time on a given screen. Otherwise, I think that's it...although it'd probably lag if you put that many scripts on a map.
Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.
Old July 13th, 2012 (10:15 PM).

Quote originally posted by CrystalStatic:
Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.
The change is temporary. If you called such a command in a script, the person will continue to have that behavior until you leave the map, either by warping or walking. The only way to have it as a permanent change is to place it in a level script.

Old July 13th, 2012 (10:37 PM).
Legendary Trainer ZX

I actually used XSE to delete the script and used PKSV to script. PKSV shows all those raws I told you about and XSE does not. Same thing?
Old July 14th, 2012 (01:34 AM).
ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
The badges' palette is odd...when I tried to use other colors besides the first five, the game would crash when I opened the trainer card. Be careful if you do edit the palette...it might cause similar pitfalls. Make a backup, of course, and if the game does do something crazy, you'll just have to use the old palette.

Anyway, the palette is either at 0x3CD2C0 or0x3CD2E0. Both of the palettes at these offsets are identical, so there's nothing I can do to determine which is the right one. Just try both and see what you get.
Both of them are not pallettes. But you gave me an idea and I found the palette offset from UNLZ-GBA and changed with APE.
Thanks so much.
Old July 14th, 2012 (07:31 AM).

How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0
Old July 14th, 2012 (07:52 AM).

Quote originally posted by adenosin:
How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0
The "Checkmoney" routine requires a word as it's input, and variables are only half-words. The easiest way is ASM...I will gladly write you a simple routine, but I can't find where the money is stored in the RAM. Once I find it, I'll send the routine to you in a VM.

Old July 14th, 2012 (11:20 AM).

When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.
Old July 14th, 2012 (11:23 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by SpadeEdge16:
When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.
A MIDI is a type of music file that you can compose using MIDI editing programs, and most game systems use some sort of MIDI as the music. MP3's cannot be used in hacking at all, you need to search for the MIDI file of whatever music you want to insert, due to the... I want to say simplicity, but that's not the right word. More of the layout of MIDI files allowing for an easier difference of the instruments and voicegroups in the file, whereas MP3 files are more compressed... It's difficult, but basically MIDI files are a different kind of music files that can be composed and created using specific programs on the computer, and can be used in games such as Pokemon.

If you want a really really good hack, it can take years. For one that is reasonably basic, then it takes months. It depends on the hack and the hacker, as well as what you want to include. ASM heavy hacks take ages due to the knowledge needed or the work, whereas small script edits and graphics take a shorter amount of time (depending on the scripts). So it depends.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old July 14th, 2012 (11:53 AM).

Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.
Old July 14th, 2012 (11:55 AM).
Kariyai.
CS

Quote originally posted by HaydenSane:
Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.
You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.
art by Churaka
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links