The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenSane View Post
Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.
You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
HaydenSane
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post

You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.
I have XSE. I just didn't know it gave me the offset to put into A-Map. Where do I find that?

Sorry for being an idiot.

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out. Thank you!

Last edited by HaydenSane; July 14th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
A MIDI is a type of music file that you can compose using MIDI editing programs, and most game systems use some sort of MIDI as the music. MP3's cannot be used in hacking at all, you need to search for the MIDI file of whatever music you want to insert, due to the... I want to say simplicity, but that's not the right word. More of the layout of MIDI files allowing for an easier difference of the instruments and voicegroups in the file, whereas MP3 files are more compressed... It's difficult, but basically MIDI files are a different kind of music files that can be composed and created using specific programs on the computer, and can be used in games such as Pokemon.

If you want a really really good hack, it can take years. For one that is reasonably basic, then it takes months. It depends on the hack and the hacker, as well as what you want to include. ASM heavy hacks take ages due to the knowledge needed or the work, whereas small script edits and graphics take a shorter amount of time (depending on the scripts). So it depends.
So, if I found a song on YouTube or have a song that I like as an mp3 (I'm not asking to use mp3s in the game) would there be any way to put those songs into the game?

Dang...I've seen people who get together on here and make hacks, how would I go about possibly getting some help? Cause I know that since my hack is FR it wouldn't take as long as a Black and White hack, but I do have a lot of ideas for it and I don't want it to take too long. :/
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
So, if I found a song on YouTube or have a song that I like as an mp3 (I'm not asking to use mp3s in the game) would there be any way to put those songs into the game?

Dang...I've seen people who get together on here and make hacks, how would I go about possibly getting some help? Cause I know that since my hack is FR it wouldn't take as long as a Black and White hack, but I do have a lot of ideas for it and I don't want it to take too long. :/
No, unless you can find a MIDI file of the same song on the internet.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old July 14th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenSane View Post
I have XSE. I just didn't know it gave me the offset to put into A-Map. Where do I find that?

Sorry for being an idiot.
What you need to do is set your script out like:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @Start
lock
etc.
etc.
etc.
Making sure all your @pointers are like that, not specific numbers. Then in the 'file' section of XSE, the bit just above where you type the script, open up your ROM.

If you then hit the compile button, which looks like two gears, it will check the ROM for errors and then give you the offsets. Use the copy button to copy the '@Start' part of your script, or whatever you have called the first pointer, and paste that into the offset box in A-Map.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
No, unless you can find a MIDI file of the same song on the internet.
Is there a link or something where I can find a lot of different MIDI files?
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Use Google, there isn't one list of all the MIDIs, it is your best option to find specific MIDI files.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old July 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
My favorite resource for midi files is here. There are a ton of ripped music from other video games, meaning it's perfect for finding simple midi files, instead of very complex ones (10 tracks IS the minimum, after all)

I should've realised I never added a link...>_<

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Last edited by redriders180; July 14th, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
My favorite resource for midi files is here. There are a ton of ripped music from other video games, meaning it's perfect for finding simple midi files, instead of very complex ones (10 tracks IS the minimum, after all)
That sucks, cause you know there's all those cool battle remixes on YouTube and I was hoping I could use something like that, not just another song that's exactly like all the other original games.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
That sucks, cause you know there's all those cool battle remixes on YouTube and I was hoping I could use something like that, not just another song that's exactly like all the other original games.
Some remixes are actually created using MIDI files. The site that was linked may contain some (if it was vgmusic, as I am unsure as to the site linked because this laptop sucks)

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Some remixes are actually created using MIDI files. The site that was linked may contain some (if it was vgmusic, as I am unsure as to the site linked because this laptop sucks)
Quote:
I actually did something stupid...I never posted a link. I just edited my previous post to have the link. It was vgmusic, so good call, Banjora

Edit: I was actually going to say that .midi files are fairly easy to remix, since they are set amount of different tracks, you can cut and paste a bunch of different ones together, if you wanted to. I've only dabbled a very small amount in the GBA music, partly because I always play all Pokemon games on mute, so I might not be able to help as much as someone more experienced.

Old July 14th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Eelektross
Unhatched Egg

Shared map data ;w;
I can't seem to fix it myself, so uh...
It's not the simplest of simple questions, and I don't expect anyone would like to help, but...
I tried changing the Contest Hall maps to maps of hidden hollows. The first one worked fine, then it all went pear-shaped as I was in the process of remapping to be identical, editing movements and events. There's a copy before and after the Fallarbor Town Contest Hall (one room) broke, so if someone could maybe help me out, that'd be great D: Even restoring the Contest Halls would be good...

BEFORE BREAKING: http://www.mediafire.com/?a8n909fbdjn7icq
AFTER BREAKING: http://www.mediafire.com/?a3un517msk7a5ln

Sorry ;w;
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:36 AM
LugiaMZ

I just repost and add more question at here... Don't know why... No people answer me, I wonder is my bad english.

1) If I use Showpokepic command at XSE, when I test at game It show pokemon sprite and has cry sound when pokepics is appeared, how do I make it when show pokepic but no cry sound effect?

2) I played a hacked rom called "Pokemon Mirage" it Rom base is Ruby I think. At the game started, after the intro, it appeared many full screen sprite to say its story ( In the game, its Arcues and the fakemon at the sprite ), can I make it too? At FR rom also can do it?

3) I use Advance Map 1.92, How to Import or Export map? EX : I want to use Pallet Town and import the map to Vidirian City, how to do it?

4) I seen Fire Red Hacked engine, the trainer customization change the add more trainer back sprite function, it say "if you want to insert images to use with this, you cannot insert them over Un-LZ,"
How to insert trainer back sprite without not using Un-LZ?
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:04 AM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
I just repost and add more question at here... Don't know why... No people answer me, I wonder is my bad english.

1) If I use Showpokepic command at XSE, when I test at game It show pokemon sprite and has cry sound when pokepics is appeared, how do I make it when show pokepic but no cry sound effect?

2) I played a hacked rom called "Pokemon Mirage" it Rom base is Ruby I think. At the game started, after the intro, it appeared many full screen sprite to say its story ( In the game, its Arcues and the fakemon at the sprite ), can I make it too? At FR rom also can do it?

3) I use Advance Map 1.92, How to Import or Export map? EX : I want to use Pallet Town and import the map to Vidirian City, how to do it?

4) I seen Fire Red Hacked engine, the trainer customization change the add more trainer back sprite function, it say "if you want to insert images to use with this, you cannot insert them over Un-LZ,"
How to insert trainer back sprite without not using Un-LZ?
1. The option to play a cry is built-in to the command itself. You could edit the commands properties with ASM, but it's much easier to just ignore the cry.

2. This was probably achieved using ASM as well. It's not very difficult if you know ASM. Simply use the decompression swi to decompress the image and tilemap, write the palette to the WRAM, and you're good to go for fullscreen images. If you don't know what I'm saying, don't try it.

3. File > Map > Save map as... will save a map, and File > Open Map will open it.

4. Firered's person backsprites are uncompressed images, which means UNLZ.gba doesn't work, since UNLZ.gba only deals with compressed images. Nameless Sprite Editor will let you import and export uncompressed images into your game.

Old July 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM
FrozenInfernoZX
Legendary Trainer ZX

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
How do I make a sprite disappear or reappear from a different map? Like the the guy in the original FR/LG that blocked Cerulean Cave.
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:09 PM
SacredMurathJohn
ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
I don't know what I did, but a major bug appeared on my hack:
My POKéMON cannot evolve anymore. When my POKéMON evolves and writes "X evolved to Y.", it freezes.

Is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: POKéMON FIRERED (BPRE)
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Hello, I have another question. I wasn't sure where to post this - on the script help thread or this one. But I'm having trouble with this script. Well, not really with the script. The problem is, when the script gets to the "applymovement 5 @m2" command, somehow the player gets turned into the person event... The camera unlatches from the player and locks onto the person event... Then, the script ends and my game freezes. Help please?

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
textcolor 0x0
message @t1 6
applymovement 0xFF @m1
waitmovement 0x0
message @t2 6
giveitem 0x4 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
trainerbattle 0x1 0x2E5 0x0 @before @after @further
end

#org @further
message @t3 6
applymovement 5 @m2
waitmovement 0x0
hidesprite 0x5
setflag 0x527
setvar 0x5024 0x1
release
end

#org @m2
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0xFE

#org @t3
= Thank you for battling me.\nYou may pass.

#org @after
= Very nice. You may pass.

#org @before
= But before I let you pass, how\nabout a POKéMON battle?

#org @t2
= I'm here to give all of the new\ntrainers a starting POKé BALL.\pPOKé BALLS can be used to catch\nPOKéMON in wild battles.\pHere you go!

#org @m1
#raw 0x1
#raw 0xFE

#org @t1
= Excuse me...
(Wasn't sure where to post this because it's not really a scripting problem I don't think... It's more of a bug or something.)
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
Hello, I have another question. I wasn't sure where to post this - on the script help thread or this one. But I'm having trouble with this script. Well, not really with the script. The problem is, when the script gets to the "applymovement 5 @m2" command, somehow the player gets turned into the person event... The camera unlatches from the player and locks onto the person event... Then, the script ends and my game freezes. Help please?

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
textcolor 0x0
message @t1 6
applymovement 0xFF @m1
waitmovement 0x0
message @t2 6
end

#org @further
message @t3 6
applymovement 5 @m2
waitmovement 0x0
hidesprite 0x5
setflag 0x527
setvar 0x5024 0x1
release
end

#org @m2
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0xFE

#org @t3

#org @after

#org @before

#org @t2
= I'm here to give all of the new\ntrainers a starting POKé BALL.\pPOKé BALLS can be used to catch\nPOKéMON in wild battles.\pHere you go!

#org @m1
#raw 0x1
#raw 0xFE

#org @t1
= Excuse me...
(Wasn't sure where to post this because it's not really a scripting problem I don't think... It's more of a bug or something.)
What I believe is the problem is either the 5 is supposed to be 0x5 (if that's the guy's People ID), or that trainerbattle command is only supposed to display the one message @t3 after the battle, and nothing but, which is why it freezes if it attempts to do anything else.

I also have an AdvanceMap question:
Is it possible to rearrange maps to create my own order? Like if I wanted to have Saffron City's map with Pallet Town's house interiors, could I rearrange them so they'd be in the same category?

Last edited by Darkrai Lv.1000; July 15th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:39 PM
redriders180

Quote:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
textcolor 0x0
message @t1 6
applymovement 0xFF @m1
waitmovement 0x0
message @t2 6
end

#org @further
message @t3 6
applymovement 5 @m2
waitmovement 0x0
hidesprite 0x5
setflag 0x527
setvar 0x5024 0x1
release
end

#org @m2
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0xFE

#org @t3

#org @after

#org @before

#org @t2

#org @m1
#raw 0x1
#raw 0xFE

#org @t1
= Excuse me...
Is it a green script tile that activates it, or a person event, or a level script? If person event, and the event you talk to is set to "Look down", change it to "No movement". Otherwise, I'm not completely sure. XSE is completely fine with taking numbers that don't begin with 0x...0x simply means its a hex number. Omit it, and XSE will assume it's a decimal number, and do the necessary conversions.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
How do I make a sprite disappear or reappear from a different map? Like the the guy in the original FR/LG that blocked Cerulean Cave.
The best way is to assign a unique person ID to the person, and set the flag with that person ID. So, if you gave the person an ID of 0027, using "setflag 0x27" will make him disappear permanently.

Last edited by redriders180; July 15th, 2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Quote:
Is it a green script tile that activates it, or a person event, or a level script? If person event, and the event you talk to is set to "Look down", change it to "No movement". Otherwise, I'm not completely sure. XSE is completely fine with taking numbers that don't begin with 0x...0x simply means its a hex number. Omit it, and XSE will assume it's a decimal number, and do the necessary conversions.

Edit:

The best way is to assign a unique person ID to the person, and set the flag with that person ID. So, if you gave the person an ID of 0027, using "setflag 0x27" will make him disappear permanently.
Ah, it worked. Just for the record, it was a script tile. But the person that the player talks to was in a "looking down" state. Changed it to "no movement" and it worked. Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:40 PM
oobio
Beginning Trainer

I want to have a "spawn" point in a town so that if you lose to a wild Pokemon or a trainer, you will return there. I am assuming that this may be incorporated in a Flying Position, but I cannot add any of these as events. How can I do this?

Another question, how can I edit Professor Birch's speech in the beginning of the game?

Last edited by oobio; July 15th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Does anyone know what the number in unLZ is for the Team Rocket Grunt? (The boy grunt)
I was searching for it and I could not find it... Thanks.
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM
KhaosKnight
The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Does anyone know what the number in unLZ is for the Team Rocket Grunt? (The boy grunt)
For Fire Red the unLZ # for the male Rocket Grunt is 1608

Old July 16th, 2012, 12:31 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
You can view them much easier in NSE 2.x...
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:44 AM
LugiaMZ

Quote:
1. The option to play a cry is built-in to the command itself. You could edit the commands properties with ASM, but it's much easier to just ignore the cry.

2. This was probably achieved using ASM as well. It's not very difficult if you know ASM. Simply use the decompression swi to decompress the image and tilemap, write the palette to the WRAM, and you're good to go for fullscreen images. If you don't know what I'm saying, don't try it.

3. File > Map > Save map as... will save a map, and File > Open Map will open it.

4. Firered's person backsprites are uncompressed images, which means UNLZ.gba doesn't work, since UNLZ.gba only deals with compressed images. Nameless Sprite Editor will let you import and export uncompressed images into your game.

1) But I need to use showpokepic to show a person face, like some hacked rom.

2) Have a tutorial there?

3) Thanks!

4) When I using Nameless Sprite Editor just open the sprite I want to insert and go to File > Insert > Image Data and set the free space I where I want to insert, that a method to insert a uncompressed images?

I got some more question.

5) This question is about .s file. .s file original manuscript is Unknown Application, I double click the .s file. After that, It appeared 2 choices " Use the Web service to find the correct program " and "
Select a program from a list of installed programs ". I choosed "
Select a program from a list of installed programs " and choose Notepad and checked "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".
Then, I use Sappy 2006 mod 15 to assembly .s file and click " Cook it "( In another Version that's "Assembly that ugly thing", it appeared a error, "XXXX Can't find file "MPlayDef.s" for inclusion Assembly halted". I placed MPlayDef.s file with the .s file I wanted to insert my rom, but also have this problem, so I think is the " "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" problem. I use Windows 7, how can I change the .s file return to Unknown Application? Or a else way to fix this problem.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links