The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:19 PM
fiOWNya
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd12smitty View Post
Ok guys. So I finally got around to remaking and taking a screenshot of my fan games home town again. I posted it a while ago and you gave me some helpful critiques. Those included making the ponds less boxy, making the north path thinner, and making the town as a whole smaller. I did not want to change the size of the map, unless you still think I really should. Anyway, here it is

Spoiler:

Let me know what you think. I have more maps coming soon.
I think the size of the map is fine. My only negative comment is that for a pretty neat, clean town, the branches seem a bit out of place. The branches right by the water are fine, but the rest seem a bit out of place, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamelo View Post
This was my most recent Pokémon Map Made. I have uploaded some new maps for deviantART but those were done before this one. Let me know what you think. The tiles are a courtesy of Hex-el-Grande, Zeikaro and WesleyFG from DeviantART

Spoiler:

Let me know your opinions. (I am not currently using this for any game)
It seems to me like you may be using too many different trees with different styles. They don't all fit together very well, I'd personally take away one or two of them. The large mushrooms, the pillar-like rocks, and the white, blue and black items next to some light posts seem out of place as well. That said, I like how the town itself is mapped, it is well distinguished from the rest of the forest but still has a wild feel to it. I'd consider changing the stone tiling to dirt to make it a little more foresty, but the stone works alright too. Great job on staying away from a boxy looking map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
This is a starting town I made for my current project. I have only recently started on this project, so any and all critique is appreciated.
Spoiler:

Once again, I would really like some feedback, and I am going to post some more maps soon.
Not bad! The only thing I see is the trees - some is all lined up, and some is scattered around. I'd try to keep the style more consistent.
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Ok, fiOWNya, I will change the branches.

Here is route 1 for my game

and the second half

And here is the second town
Newera Town
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Unknown#
'Cause why not?
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Well, here are some more maps from my project, which I have decided to call Pokèmon Bronze.

Spoiler:

This is the redone starting town, now called Aloe Town

This is Route 1.

And this is Lento Town, which is the second town.

Once again, I am happy with any and all feedback, so please give me your opinion on these maps.

Old June 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Aamelo
Reality Bender.

Nature: Quiet
Well. This is another of my maps. A Snowy one, that was actually for a non Pokemon Game, even if made in its style. This is Jolly Town and was made up based on a old map of a 'Friend' of Mine. The Building at the Top is a Art Museum.
(Tiles by LighterZein and PrinceLegendario)

(The Trees aren't blured out tiles, it just happen do to the Fact it was printed directly from RPG Maker XP, at actual size, they look okay)

Also my opinions on Unknown Maps. I love to see GSC, and, even if the tiles were actually like that, I don't think the white behind some houses looks that nice. Still, I love the way that you did. This actually makes me want to map a GSC Map :I

Well, Opinions on this map?
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:08 AM
khkramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
Well, here are some more maps from my project, which I have decided to call Pokèmon Bronze.

Spoiler:

This is the redone starting town, now called Aloe Town

This is Route 1.

And this is Lento Town, which is the second town.

Once again, I am happy with any and all feedback, so please give me your opinion on these maps.
They look great and I like the GSC style

Quote:
Well. This is another of my maps. A Snowy one, that was actually for a non Pokemon Game, even if made in its style. This is Jolly Town and was made up based on a old map of a 'Friend' of Mine. The Building at the Top is a Art Museum.
(Tiles by LighterZein and PrinceLegendario)

(The Trees aren't blured out tiles, it just happen do to the Fact it was printed directly from RPG Maker XP, at actual size, they look okay)

Also my opinions on Unknown Maps. I love to see GSC, and, even if the tiles were actually like that, I don't think the white behind some houses looks that nice. Still, I love the way that you did. This actually makes me want to map a GSC Map :I

Well, Opinions on this map?
Your map has lots of variety and I think it looks great overall
Are you mapping for fangames?

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Aamelo
Reality Bender.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by khkramer View Post
Your map has lots of variety and I think it looks great overall
Are you mapping for fangames?
Well, I am just programming one called 'Fakemon Celestite' (Is on the Begginer's Showcase), but I am not graphic designer, leader or Mapper of it. I might make a game soon but in RTP Style of RPG Maker maybe.

Anways, here is another map I made back then in Game Maker, with Effects from Photoshop.

Comments on this one?
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:57 PM
titiy
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Well, I am just programming one called 'Fakemon Celestite' (Is on the Begginer's Showcase), but I am not graphic designer, leader or Mapper of it. I might make a game soon but in RTP Style of RPG Maker maybe.

Anways, here is another map I made back then in Game Maker, with Effects from Photoshop.
Spoiler:

Comments on this one?
I think it's a great map. The lighting is a little bit overdone but the map is clean, detailed and it looks easy to navigate. Good job!

Here's a map I made not so long ago.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by titiy; July 3rd, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:28 PM
Cavou
Togepi

A random map I made. What do you think?

Old July 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
titiy
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavou View Post
A random map I made. What do you think?
It's a good looking map. However, the waterfalls clash with the water. (different color) So you might want to fix that.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by titiy View Post
It's a good looking map. However, the waterfalls clash with the water. (different color) So you might want to fix that.
Agreed. Thats the only major problem i see
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:10 PM
fiOWNya
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
My one comment is that there should be more water on the higher levels. Such a small lake on the top there wouldn't feed a waterfall for very long. I feel like a stream should feed into it. The opposite happens with the upper right lake - a large waterfall feeds into a small lake. I would connect it to the rest of the streams.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Cavou
Togepi

Ok Ill fix and add those things. Thanks for the feedback!

Old July 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Riansky
Purr

A map from my game Pokemon Guardian Wish
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM
jim42

@Riansky; This is a well designed map, and I love the tiles and palettes you've used, however a few things of note:

-The cliffs you use are vertical, meaning that, at present, the stiars you have are being presented as a ladder in terms of dimensiality (shut up, it's a word if I say it is). What you need to do is add another tile of stairs so that it is at least three tiles high, preferably four. Think about the whole pythagoras thing if you aren't sure what I mean.
-Speaking of the cliffs, they apparently disappear when you get to the trees. What you should do is remove all your trees from where the cliffs run into them and below, take the cliffs out to the edge of the map, then replace your trees accordingly.
-You appear to have some kind of omni-directional shadows coming off your houses. Pick a direction and stick to it.
-The four-wide path at the bottom left of the upper tier is quite disconcerting. Probably best to keep it to three-wide.
-The top right house should probably be moved left two tiles and the soil be placed within the (extended) fence, with the path widened out to the house and the two tiles next to the letterbox of the left house made into just regular grass.

Hopefully that makes sense. Great work on this map, mate.
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:04 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
@Aamelo everyone is a critic.... i really like your maps they are IMO very well done, professionally done even... just my opinion however. but if i were making a fan game i'd ask you to map for me....
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

A new map for my fan game: Pokemon Melanite. This will be a part of the post game. Any criticism would be appreciated.

I give you: Ruïn, the underwater city.

Spoiler:

The buildings there are two of are normal houses, and the one with the design is the city elder's house, who teaches a special move. The large building is a gym.
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:12 PM
khkramer

Wow, Rayd12smitty !
That looks amazing, and it's an original idea too.

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkramer View Post
Wow, Rayd12smitty !
That looks amazing, and it's an original idea too.
Thank you. Here is the other half of the city. This includes a large market area, and still needs a bit of work.

Spoiler:
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM
shadowriver
Beginning Trainer

I really like thoughs maps and the idear behind them Rayd12smitty.

heres a couple from my game.

this is the home island starfish island.
Spoiler:

and this one is of the second city Aquamain city.I still need to tidyit up abit and some of the rocks in the water are a little to random. it still feels alittle to beer to me. i dont know what do you think.

Spoiler:
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowriver View Post
I really like thoughs maps and the idear behind them Rayd12smitty.

heres a couple from my game.

this is the home island starfish island.
Spoiler:

and this one is of the second city Aquamain city.I still need to tidyit up abit and some of the rocks in the water are a little to random. it still feels alittle to beer to me. i dont know what do you think.

Spoiler:
Thank you. I like the ideas here. I also like how it is all on water, which is original. I noticed in the first one that the sunken ship is ontop of some of the small rocks. Remove the rocks and it will look better. At least just the ones that it overlaps.
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:43 PM
warpras
Chief of Pokémon Time Version

For my fangame, I'm changing my style to BW, so here is three maps that I've redone.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old July 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpras View Post
For my fangame, I'm changing my style to BW, so here is three maps that I've redone.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Very nice maps. I know this isn't the place to ask, but are those beach tiles still tiles, or do you have BW sand auto tiles. I can't find them anywhere, and if you have them, would you be willing to share?
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Rocket-Dock
Dragonite Trainer

Here my new creation for Natrium:
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:45 PM
TheRexion
Elite Trainer

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheRexion
Here's a map I made in Tiled:
Spoiler:
Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Unknown#
'Cause why not?
Community Supporter

Heres a small map I made using the default tileset that came with Essentials.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links