The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck View Post

But that's why people stress over it. Because it generally does affect others. Not caring about something because you aren't personally affected by it is just wrong.
Yes but it is a choice they make, so there is not much you can do. If someone was forced to smoke it would be something different but everyone knows the consequences and some still choose to do it so then there is no need to worry unless they are close relatives maybe. Why should I care about someone I don't know choosing to screw up their health?
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
Why should I care about someone I don't know choosing to screw up their health?
Not that I really care, but because you're probably gonna wind up paying for their healthcare through taxes (though depending on where you are, taxes on cigarettes draws in a lot of money for the government).

But then I'd just advocate for people to pay for their own healthcare and for less taxes.
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Yoshikkko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amachi View Post
Not that I really care, but because you're probably gonna wind up paying for their healthcare through taxes (though depending on where you are, taxes on cigarettes draws in a lot of money for the government).

But then I'd just advocate for people to pay for their own healthcare and for less taxes.
I don't agree with people having to pay for their own healthcare - if you're beaten up on the street you're screwed if you don't have the money to pay for a doctor. I do think people who smoke or drink excessively should pay all the costs that are linked to their unhealthy habit.
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
Yes but it is a choice they make, so there is not much you can do. If someone was forced to smoke it would be something different but everyone knows the consequences and some still choose to do it so then there is no need to worry unless they are close relatives maybe. Why should I care about someone I don't know choosing to screw up their health?
Smoking is an exception. Many people don't know what they're truly doing to their body.

Again, just because you're not affected by it doesn't mean you shouldn't care. It's their choice, yes, but they may be ignorant of the consequences, and even if they're not they're probably unwillingly affecting other people. There's nothing wrong with letting a person ruin their body as long as they don't expose others to it and are fully aware of the consequences, but these two requirements are almost never met.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:11 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:

Smoking is an exception. Many people don't know what they're truly doing to their body.
I thought the graphical television ads and the pictures of rotting feet on the cigarette packaging paints a pretty clear picture if what it can do.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I think public ridicule would keep most people from smoking right in front of me. js

I'm not a bad person

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think ridiculing someone is public for it is wrong, droomph. No one is perfect, would you want someone to ridicule you if you do something in public that's bad for you? What if someone ridiculed you for having a big meal at a restaurant? ;x

My mom's so funny, she's in the middle of quitting and now she's super judgmental about smokers when she wasn't judgmental about them a week ago hahaha. Mostly it's the money thing though - some people smoke a ton and then complain about having no money. That's why she's quitting, money instead of health.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

The problem I have with smoking is it affects others as well as the smoker, who dosent care they they may be affecting the health of those around them and smoke around other people. I dont care if you smoke, but I dont want to inhale the smoke from other people's cigarettes.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

That doesn't sound too nice. You know what they say - mo' money, mo' problems :(
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

MO MONEY MO STEAM SALES YOU MEAN RIGHT LUCK
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

The Steam Sales need to be shorter. Oh my god I've added 9 games to my backlog in the last week (although not all through Steam) and it's horrible. T_T Plus I'm considering getting at least one or two more things before the sale is done in a week.

I just need to ban myself from the internet until the 23rd or something, lmao.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Eh well my church youth group does it sooo yeah :/

I think you mean mo money, mo plushies and Pokémon related merchandise

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

I've talked about the sales so much but I've only bought 5 bucks worth of games!! I'm such a good pennypincher.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Despite all the games on sale on Steam, barely anything interests me. The only game I got during the whole sale was graciously donated :(
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

:P I've only spent ~$16 so far (plus $5 on gifts today). I think that's pretty good. I was hoping to not go much over $20.

Nothing on my wishlist is something I need RIGHT AWAY OMG and I'm not anticipating anything I really want going on sale at a price I'll bite at so I think I'm pretty safe for the rest of the sale. Hopefully. Maybe.

tumblrtwitter

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
I've bought nothing on the Steam sale. I don't like gaming on my computer. Gets too loud and hot and slow. I need a new one.

But I have been eyeing the Nelson Tethers and Time Gentlemen (not so much this because it is Windows only) packs. Cave Story + too. Those all seem... not intensive? XD Haven't committed though
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
I have stuff on other wishlists! Just not steam. XD
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Tom's bought over 60 bucks of games...I think my bad computer holds me back. I don't buy the great AAA games because my computer can only handle little indie games. XD;
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:21 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Despite all the games on sale on Steam, barely anything interests me.
This. This a million times over.

If it is a big-name title, then I'd want it on a console. For all the small indie stuff I look it at, read a review, watch a trailer, and just go "Oh, I guess that's kinda neat?" and move on.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

You're missing out on so much if you skip the indie stuff. D; I'm obsessed with Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy right now.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Algo Fonix
oh god

I've gifted a loooot more than I've gotten for myself this time around. It feels good though. :D Besides, the more copies of Ys games I gift to people... the more possible it will be for XSEED to release more Falcom games on Steam. Or somethin'.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:42 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
You're missing out on so much if you skip the indie stuff. D; I'm obsessed with Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy right now.
I'm okay with smaller/newer devs. But like actual indie stuff? A team of two people? When I've tried demos they just seem a little... off. They don't feel real, or something. Not sure how to describe it. But I don't enjoy playing them
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

From my experience, most indie games are very mediocre. I still enjoy most of them, but I think they still have a long way to go before they become truly good. Cave Story+ and 90% of indie games should be fine on your computer, unless your computer is roughly the size of a factory.

I do like what indie developers are standing for, even if 90% of them are arrogant asshats. Video games won't become any worse if they try to become more artistic. I just don't want it to become some kind of Dada art.
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Well if you play them and then decide you don't like them that's different than writing them all off because they're indie. :P
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Indie games are my favourites, especially when it comes to PC. When they're done right, you can almost feel the love and care in them and while they don't last as long as the AAA titles, I usually enjoy them so much more. Most of my favourite games in the last while have been indie titles (Cave Story, Orcs Must Die, Recettear, Sequence, Ben There Dan That!, Puzzle Agent). My computer runs some of the older AAA titles fairly well and once I replace my graphics card with my brother's old one, it should run pretty much anything I throw at it, but I find myself drawn far more to indie games than anything else.

I actually kind of dislike a lot of the big ticket games now in comparison. They feel too bulky and generic or something. I can't really pinpoint what it is but I vastly prefer indie games when it comes to PC gaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algo Fonix View Post
I've gifted a loooot more than I've gotten for myself this time around. It feels good though. :D Besides, the more copies of Ys games I gift to people... the more possible it will be for XSEED to release more Falcom games on Steam. Or somethin'.
This is true! I'm pretty sure XSEED came right out and said, after Y's: Origins released this summer, that if it didn't sell well, they wouldn't bother continuing to do what they do (at least in the PC market). :( I've never even played a Y's game and I don't want that to happen.

tumblrtwitter

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links