The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Going to move this to the Help thread as that's where questions belong.

It's the first I've heard of it though. Don't know why that'd happen byond some weird sort of glitch. =/
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Teddscau
Unhatched Egg

Hmm. I've had no luck figuring out what happened, so I guess I can always ask the developers... Strange though, because my Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Golduck, Ponyta, and Palkia all had it...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
epicbawler
Unhatched Egg

Ok so i was gonna get soul silver today and i was wondering what pokemon is the best one out of these: HootHoot, Zubat, or pidgeot?

oh yeah and i was wondering whats a good place to train my pokemon before the first gym because i like to overlevel them before i fight any gym leaders..

Last edited by epicbawler; July 2nd, 2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
The farthest you'll get out is the route before Cherry Grove. So take on lots of Bellsprouts and Gastly in Sprout Tower.

Also I prefer Pidgey and Hoot isn't a bad choice either. It's all a matter of preference and comfort with that Pokemon, I would say the Pokemon you have more experience with.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbawler View Post
Ok so i was gonna get soul silver today and i was wondering what pokemon is the best one out of these: HootHoot, Zubat, or pidgeot?

oh yeah and i was wondering whats a good place to train my pokemon before the first gym because i like to overlevel them before i fight any gym leaders..
Pidgey > Pidgeot and Zubat > Crobat are you best choices here imo. Although HootHoot > Noctowl is good, it's not as powerful as Pidgeot later in the game, as well as Zubat > Crobat who I'd recommend over all for it's best typing, which will prove especially useful against Bugsy. Although if you think you're going to have trouble with Morty, catching an additional HootHoot and training it or placing it in the Day Care until it either is able to evolve and/or learns a few psychic moves such as Hypnosis and Confusion would be extremely useful. Although, Hypno would easily fill in such a place -- which is able to be caught on the same route as the Day Care center is located.

And, I highly suggest you train in the bellsprout tower (which will give your pokemon quite a few levels anyway) like previously mentioned, alongside griding in route 30 and 31. The Ruins of Alph is also a possible training area as well the first patch of grass on Route 32.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Dragonsong
Beginning Trainer

How is confusion damage (hurt itself) determined in Diamond? My lvl 53 Lucario just 2shotted itself after being confused, the first one did about 120 points of damage. He used Sword Dance once.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
It's based on their attack/defence stat and boosts. Basically the higher their attack is compared to their defence, the more damage they'll do to themself (which is the thinking behind Swagger which confuses and boosts attack). So with that Swords Dance already Lucario would do a lot of damage to itself.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:53 AM
Teddscau
Unhatched Egg

Really? Never knew that was the theory behind Swagger. On another note, I find it kind of strange how they don't seem to mention EV's, IV's, or the effects of a pokemon's characteristic (or when it's mentioned, they don't get into much detail). So, when EV's were first discovered, people actually spent dozens of hours calculating the EV's that each pokemon gives?

Okay, here's an actual question: Can you have all IV's maxed out in one pokemon (ie: 31 for HP, 31 for Attack, 31 for Defence...)?
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddscau View Post
Really? Never knew that was the theory behind Swagger. On another note, I find it kind of strange how they don't seem to mention EV's, IV's, or the effects of a pokemon's characteristic (or when it's mentioned, they don't get into much detail). So, when EV's were first discovered, people actually spent dozens of hours calculating the EV's that each pokemon gives?

Okay, here's an actual question: Can you have all IV's maxed out in one pokemon (ie: 31 for HP, 31 for Attack, 31 for Defence...)?
Yes you can. Although it's hard to do it without RNG'ing or cheating.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Psiiionic
RNG please ^-^

Nature: Timid
Does anyone it possible to RNG in HG and other 4th Gens with just RNG reporter or do you need Pikatimer and all those programs that I have seen in a few vids cause in 5th Gen I only need RNG reporter. In those videos i was really confused since they were using a really old version of the RNG reporter and the time finder was way different to version 9.95. Can you give me a good link where I can learn how to RNG legends(in addition to the calibration) thanks. I heard some guy named Everstone had a guide but I have never seen it though.
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Teddscau
Unhatched Egg

I think it's possible to RNG in HG. Type in "rng heartgold" on google and a bunch of videos and guides pop up. Smogon seems to have a decent guide for RNGing legendaries and stuff. Just look up "RNG reporter" and "RNG legendaries" on google. I'm pretty sure the results that pop up are helpful, but I wouldn't really know since I just found out about the term "RNG" from dragonomega .
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Professor_Jiro
New Authority

I recently got Pokemon platinum for my Ds, and ever since my friend traded me a caterpie I can;t get into my PC box without it turning into a black screen.

I can deposite, but the withdraw or move options give me a black screen. Is there a way to fix this???
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Shootingace
Lord

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Jiro View Post
I recently got Pokemon platinum for my Ds, and ever since my friend traded me a caterpie I can;t get into my PC box without it turning into a black screen.

I can deposite, but the withdraw or move options give me a black screen. Is there a way to fix this???
If you could say how far you are in the game it would help but this might be a glitch, so try restarting. I had platinum since it's release and never had a black screen.
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiiionic View Post
Does anyone it possible to RNG in HG and other 4th Gens with just RNG reporter or do you need Pikatimer and all those programs that I have seen in a few vids cause in 5th Gen I only need RNG reporter. In those videos i was really confused since they were using a really old version of the RNG reporter and the time finder was way different to version 9.95. Can you give me a good link where I can learn how to RNG legends(in addition to the calibration) thanks. I heard some guy named Everstone had a guide but I have never seen it though.
Use EonTimer c: And as for a guide, I suggest joining the Trade Corner IRC channel (they have a link in the Trade Corner section) and they'll link you/help you get to grips with it :3 I know TwilightBlade and Everstone have both written guides and there are members such as Gonz0 who teach 4th gen RNG, so I think going there is your best bet. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Jiro View Post

This sounds like your game has glitched :( Try cleaning the cartridge and if that doesn't work, try restarting the game. If neither of these things work then unfortunately you'll most likely have to get a new copy of the game. :c
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Dragonsong
Beginning Trainer

Sinnoh Battle Tower Tips?

I'm currently trying to get 80 BP (EIGHTY?!?!) for TM26 (earthquake)

I've gotten 14 wins in a row so far (9 BP), but I have no idea how to approach Barry's father - especially that one Pokemon of his with like, 4 elemental attacks >.>

I also lost once against a Sharpedo because I didn't know that Fighting was effective against Dark (I beat it with my Lucario but the next pokemon was a Machoke)

Right now I'm using my Espeon as a starter up to sweep everyone out with Psybeam, who usually 1hkos everything except Dark/Ghost/fat pokemon, at which point I pull out my Dragonite and sweep with that instead (Dragon Rush, she doesn't know Outrage yet) My third pokemon is usually Lucario or Milotic, another sweeper and a special def wall.

Are there any Pokemon I should switch out? Other Pokemon I have are:

Drifblim, Empoleon, Rapidash, Rotom, Garchomp, and Honchkrow
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsong View Post
Sinnoh Battle Tower Tips?

I'm currently trying to get 80 BP (EIGHTY?!?!) for TM26 (earthquake)

I've gotten 14 wins in a row so far (9 BP), but I have no idea how to approach Barry's father - especially that one Pokemon of his with like, 4 elemental attacks >.>

I also lost once against a Sharpedo because I didn't know that Fighting was effective against Dark (I beat it with my Lucario but the next pokemon was a Machoke)

Right now I'm using my Espeon as a starter up to sweep everyone out with Psybeam, who usually 1hkos everything except Dark/Ghost/fat pokemon, at which point I pull out my Dragonite and sweep with that instead (Dragon Rush, she doesn't know Outrage yet) My third pokemon is usually Lucario or Milotic, another sweeper and a special def wall.

Are there any Pokemon I should switch out? Other Pokemon I have are:

Drifblim, Empoleon, Rapidash, Rotom, Garchomp, and Honchkrow
Well Palmer's team on the first go is Dragonite, Milotic and Rhyperior. It would be smart to bring along a Water type, since a strong water move will OHKO Rhyperior and if the Pokemon knows an Ice move it deals with Dragonite, leaving only Milotic. Milotic is a bulky Pokemon that can cause problems, so I recommend bringing along a stall-like Pokemon that can use Toxic and resist Milotic's moves. I suggest making your team; Empoleon (teach it a strong ice and water move), Garchomp (can probably destroy Dragonite if Empoleon cannot) and then the Toxic/bulky user. Perhaps slapping Toxic on Lucario since Milotic can't really harm it.
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Dragonsong
Beginning Trainer

Cool thanks =D

My Empoleon knows Hydro Pump (inb4 he misses) and Ice Beam (would Surf work too?)
My Garchomp's strongest Dragon move is Draco Meteor.

Not so sure about putting Toxic on Lucario tho....

Last edited by Dragonsong; July 6th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsong View Post
Cool thanks =D

My Empoleon knows Hydro Pump (inb4 he misses) and Ice Beam (would Surf work too?)
My Garchomp's strongest Dragon move is Draco Meteor.

Not so sure about putting Toxic on Lucario tho....
Surf is still viable if you're worried about missing.

While Draco Meteor is good on a mixed Garchomp, Garchomp is still better off using physical STABs (Dragon Claw, Outrage, Earthquake) to hit the opponent as hard as it can. Really, the only Special move it should be using is Fire Blast to hit physically defensive Pokemon hard, especially those weak to Fire.

Don't think about putting Toxic on Lucario. While its defensive typing is good, its defenses are average at best. It should just set up Swords Dance or Calm Mind and smash into things.

Last edited by PlatinumDude; July 6th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Bofahad
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Brave
I Have a big problem!
When i play HG i beated "Kanto" and "Johto", i got my "Pal Pad", but when im in the start menu for the game trying to put internet information.. theres is no advance setup? and when i try to use "Accses Range" or whatever it called its say "Not supported"?, how can i get my FC now?

White 2:

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:10 PM
T!M

Is there any particular reason my Eruption (TYPHLOSION) does less damage then Flamethrower against Lance's SALAMANCE? I'm pretty sure last I checked, Eruption had more power then Flamethrower.
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Ninjagon
Back from a break.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Timothy View Post
Is there any particular reason my Eruption (TYPHLOSION) does less damage then Flamethrower against Lance's SALAMANCE? I'm pretty sure last I checked, Eruption had more power then Flamethrower.
This, i second this I have the same occurrence (not with Lance, just in general), but with Hyper Beam. My Kingdra has a Modest nature 252 EV's in SAtk and an IV of 28. Somehow Signal Beam will work better than it. Odd...

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:28 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Eruption's base power depends on your Pokémon's HP, the more HP your Typhlosion has, the more damage it'll do. At full HP, Eruption has 150 base power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjagon View Post
This, i second this I have the same occurrence (not with Lance, just in general), but with Hyper Beam. My Kingdra has a Modest nature 252 EV's in SAtk and an IV of 28. Somehow Signal Beam will work better than it. Odd...
I'm not sure how to explain that, maybe a type match up?
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Ninjagon
Back from a break.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I'm not sure how to explain that, maybe a type match up?
Maybe, i'll look into it more later.

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:55 AM
T!M

Is there anywhere to get another Dark Pulse TM in Johto? If not, does TYRANITAR learn it again at some point after evolving from PUPITAR?
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:59 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Is there anywhere to get another Dark Pulse TM in Johto? If not, does TYRANITAR learn it again at some point after evolving from PUPITAR?
The Dark Pulse TM can be found in Victory Road. More can be bought in Celadon's Department Store for P3000.

No, Tyranitar can't learn Dark Pulse again after you stop it from learning it, unless you take it back to the move relearned in Cianwood.

And to point something out, Crunch is a better alternative over Dark Pulse because it works off of its higher physical Attack.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links