The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Scripts & Tutorials
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Scripts & Tutorials This forum is for scripts and code, as well as all kinds of tutorials, software, tools and so forth. Remember to give credit!
The thread revival limit does not apply here.


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Info: Ever since I was a little 8 year old, I've always been obsessed with Zelda, everything about it made me want to make my own game like it.
The one series that intrested me was the Oracle/Awakening Series.
The one for the Game Boy Colour. It was, to me, the best I've played, it did so much for such a early console.
Since playing them, I thought this would be the games i'd try base my own game on.
As I grew older I learned of the Rom hacking community and Lin91's ZOLE (Zelda Oracle Level Editor), but over time, I realized rom hacking wasn't me. After researching Game development, there weren't many Oracle based games or engines, any that there was, were discontinued or private resourced.

So, I decided to make my own, So I give to Pokécommunity.

Zelda Oracles Engine!!

Features:
Blue = DoneOrange = DoingTo be Done
  • Oracle styled Movement and Actions
  • Sword
  • Rupee System
  • Heart system
  • Pause Menu/ Item Menu
  • HUD Bar
  • Heart Pieces, Heart Containers and Extra Hearts
  • Insert a Oracle of Seasons Tilesets

  • Power Bracelet
  • Dungeons
  • Towns
  • Multi Room transport
  • Enemies
  • Bosses
  • Shovel
  • Insert a full Oracle of Ages + Link's Awakening Tileset

  • NPCs
  • Oracle Styled Shop
  • Dungeon 'Treasures'
  • Save System
  • Dungeon Bosses
  • Dungeon Traps
  • Bombs & Bomb Bag
  • Intro
  • Credits


Screenshots: (new to old)
Spoiler:

Infomation:
How Tilesets are done: In the tiles section of the 'Room' you'll find various backgorunds with places from the officail games, like Holodrums world map. To save me making a whole tileset I've made it so you can just take the tiles from the Map to your Game. Each map is about 10 blocks wide by 8 blocks height.


Credits:
Nintendo: Zelda
Capcom: Oracle Series
Spriters-resource: Various sprite resources.

Downloads:
I've not made enough progress for my to think of releasing anything yet.
__________________
gone.

Last edited by Nintendork15; October 18th, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM
pokehackster's Avatar
pokehackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Gender:
Love the idea, and I'm even making an entire island in my game dedicated to the mario sonic and zelda series. I hope this does well for you, but one question I do have is why you would go with the oracle graphics. I know they're "classic", but the link to the past graphics are quite a step up and still have that classic look of zelda.
__________________
Pokémon Dual Shades

My deviantART

Sometimes you just have to ask your self "would I rather be crazy or stupid?"
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I'm using oracle graphics because it's what I'm use too, and alot of Lttp graphics need Link to appear under the graphics, for top of tree's and roofs. I'm not 100% sure how to recreate that in game maker.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Slight update:

Dungeon system updated.

Added Grass animaiton

Started adding towns and inner buildings.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty

Upped the window size, to make the game a higher quality.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old July 1st, 2012, 02:54 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty

Roc's Feather. Done.
Power Bracelet. Done.
Rupees. Done.
Rupees are like normal. Green = 1 Blue = 5 Red = 20 and Purple = 50
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
QuilavaKing's Avatar
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Omg, I love these games sooooooo much. I'm actually making a game based on the sidescrolling sections of these games with MMF2. lol

Looking forward to this. :D
__________________
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon


Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Umbreon's Avatar
Umbreon
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nearby my feet.
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
I'm using oracle graphics because it's what I'm use too, and alot of Lttp graphics need Link to appear under the graphics, for top of tree's and roofs. I'm not 100% sure how to recreate that in game maker.


This is done with the depth (1 will appear below 0)
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
Omg, I love these games sooooooo much. I'm actually making a game based on the sidescrolling sections of these games with MMF2. lol

Looking forward to this. :D
Thank you ... I'm glad to see another Oracle Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiec View Post




This is done with the depth (1 will appear below 0)
Okay, thanks.
But I'm still gonna use Oracles style. If anyone wants Lttp Graphics they can insert them, by themselves.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:02 PM
AmethystRain's Avatar
AmethystRain
Crystaline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Female
If nobody uses this to make this, I'm going to be extremely disappointed in all of you.

That's right, especially you.

Looks good so far though, keep it up!
__________________
With Love, Your Shadow~
Proud owner of Reborn and spearhead of the Pokemon Reborn game~
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmethystRain View Post
If nobody uses this to make this, I'm going to be extremely disappointed in all of you.

That's right, especially you.

Looks good so far though, keep it up!
Hehe.
Someone has already figured out my purpose for making this.
On another note, are you aware there's a Ages from hack for Hours, it's got 2 dungeons and is worth the play.

Also, I've had to restart since I lost alot of data, but i shall slowly rebuild it all.
I've already started the basic coding.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty

After losing all my stuff back in August.
I'm working on this again.
So far all in blue is what's done in the OP.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM
KingCharizard's Avatar
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
nice have you ever thought about building something like this inside unity? It can do 2D not easily but it can be done look at my signature
__________________
My personal website. UPDATED 8/29/2013
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I'm doing it for Game Maker due to familiarization and it's something we're learning in my college.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM
KingCharizard's Avatar
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
I'm doing it for Game Maker due to familiarization and it's something we're learning in my college.
Not to sound harsh but any college teaching/using Game Maker should not be teaching Game Development.. But It was just a suggestion, I see you have no intention of switching so good luck and i'll be following your progress... because i think this is cool
__________________
My personal website. UPDATED 8/29/2013
Reply With Quote
  #16    
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I don't see why?
It's a coding language just as anything else.
Some better than this, yes. But it's what we are currently learning.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #17    
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:22 PM
DaSpirit's Avatar
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
GameMaker is better than using an engine in C++. It gives you an easy to use IDE and the company developing it is adding a C++ compiler (to replace the current interpreter) in the next version so it should be as fast as one too. Don't say that the company who are making it are not experts in the programming field because they are. The team that is making it is headed by Sandy Duncan who was head of Xbox in Europe and Mike Daily who created Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings. The company is funded by the Scottish government where the company building resides.

GameMaker does a good job of teaching basic programming. Its form of abstraction makes it a nice way to learn critical concepts. I learned just about everything I know about programming (memory, critical optimizations which includes using bitwise operators, polymorphism, the process of 3d rendering through matrices and when you use DLLs you extend your knowledge grows even more with things such as threads and packets). You're underestimating how powerful it really is, King Charizard. I learned these concepts faster than I would have if I jumped directly to C++.

Anyway, I'm not sure of what use this project really is. It seems outdated in terms of graphical style and therefore perhaps even a few features so only a few would really want to use it. Honestly, I think more people would use a Minish Cap styled engine.
Reply With Quote
  #18    
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM
KingCharizard's Avatar
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
GameMaker is better than using an engine in C++. It gives you an easy to use IDE and the company developing it is adding a C++ compiler (to replace the current interpreter) in the next version so it should be as fast as one too. Don't say that the company who are making it are not experts in the programming field because they are. The team that is making it is headed by Sandy Duncan who was head of Xbox in Europe and Mike Daily who created Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings. The company is funded by the Scottish government where the company building resides.
Yeah the people who made it are in fact experts who have made the entire engine probably in C++. The industry standard.
Quote:
GameMaker does a good job of teaching basic programming.
at the college level you shouldn't be learning such things. Besides, GML is not a good language to learn its sloppy it teaches you bad programming habits. Its like trying to shoot fish in a barrel. Your not gonna learn algebra in college are you? No your expected to go into college knowing algebra.

Quote:
I don't see why?
As I said above GameMaker is very basic, its like the ABC blocks a baby would use. There is not one area of professional game development that I know of that your experience with GameMaker will be beneficial. Since this is a college class I assume you want to develop games seriously. You'll see soon enough that GameMaker will not help you reach that goal.

As a hobbyist GameMaker wouldn't be a bad toy. If you want to seriously develop games you'll need to look into more professional languages. It doesn't necessarily have to be C++, it could be Java, Python, LUA, C, C++, C# or other languages that engines use such as UnityScript or UnrealScript.
__________________
My personal website. UPDATED 8/29/2013
Reply With Quote
  #19    
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
DaSpirit's Avatar
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
at the college level you shouldn't be learning such things. Besides, GML is not a good language to learn its sloppy it teaches you bad programming habits. Its like trying to shoot fish in a barrel. Your not gonna learn algebra in college are you? No your expected to go into college knowing algebra.
I disagree. In my Intro to Computer Science course I took last year, we started with Alice as most courses do. Game Maker is better than Alice in terms of features. Not everyone understands basic concepts. Our class moved on to Python later and a majority failed. I'm sure more people would have failed without Alice. I also disagree about bad habits. There are bad habits in every language, especially C++.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
As I said above GameMaker is very basic, its like the ABC blocks a baby would use. There is not one area of professional game development that I know of that your experience with GameMaker will be beneficial. Since this is a college class I assume you want to develop games seriously. You'll see soon enough that GameMaker will not help you reach that goal.

As a hobbyist GameMaker wouldn't be a bad toy. If you want to seriously develop games you'll need to look into more professional languages. It doesn't necessarily have to be C++, it could be Java, Python, LUA, C, C++, C# or other languages that engines use such as UnityScript or UnrealScript.
No. GameMaker produces games at a professional level. It allows you to make Android, iOS, Windows, Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone, OSX and HTML5 using a single code set. You can make a multi-platform product at a very low cost.

I'm sure you're not programming in C++ at a level that would be considered on par with other software, Mr. Extraordinaire. I'm sure you're not an expert. You would probably make a game using the C++ STL, which is a huge no-no. GameMaker is highly optimized and does things correctly. Though probably not as optimized as Unity, I can probably make something that you make in C++ in a fraction of the time and at better speed and with more flexibility. Don't question what language others choose. There are a lot out there and each have their advantages and disadvantages but GameMaker is no let-me-down. I prefer programming in GameMaker over C++ at most times.
Reply With Quote
  #20    
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
KingCharizard's Avatar
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
I'm sure you're not programming in C++ at a level that would be considered on par with other software, Mr. Extraordinaire. I'm sure you're not an expert. You would probably make a game using the C++ STL, which is a huge no-no. GameMaker is highly optimized and does things correctly. Though probably not as optimized as Unity, I can probably make something that you make in C++ in a fraction of the time and at better speed and with more flexibility. Don't question what language others choose. There are a lot out there and each have their advantages and disadvantages but GameMaker is no let-me-down. I prefer programming in GameMaker over C++ at most times.
STL(Standard Template Library) a no no? Really? Love to hear your reasoning behind this statement..The only valid reason is performance but if programmed properly its not an issue... While not perfect the STL is very valuable... Also you cannot make an entire game using the STL. I use C++ and Direct X to develop games. Also your assumption of my skills is wrong and insulting...

Quote:
Android, iOS, Windows, Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone, OSX and HTML5
Since when? so can construct 2

I've looked at the Gamemaker website they have changed alot added some fancy grahics to their site. but the core features of the engine remain he same, they just raised the prices its still the same and still doesn't change my opinion.. FYI this is no way in hell I would pay $499.00 for GM and wouldnt advise anyone to do so either...

Quote:
No. GameMaker produces games at a professional level.
Name one...

I offered a suggestion to the OP and your turning this into an argument. I'm not gonna argue you have your opinion I have mine lets leave it at that
__________________
My personal website. UPDATED 8/29/2013

Last edited by KingCharizard; October 16th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21    
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Please keep this thread on topic by discussing Nintendork's Zelda Engine.
__________________
A MODEST PROPOSAL
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7766537
Reply With Quote
  #22    
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM
DaSpirit's Avatar
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
snipped
The OP already choose his tool. He already explained his reasons.

Sorry bro, but the STL is bad because you cannot directly control how it allocates memory. No professional game developers uses it because of this. It relies on the heap too much rather than on the stack which is considerably slower. It's not designed for games. It's made for general use. You should read about programming game engines, I have a book (written by the lead of Naughty Dog) that I refer to.

Don't try to suggest something like this. The OP probably knows his/her options prior to making an engine and they would have chosen the best tool they could have made.

Now back to topic:
@Nintendork15: Have you figured out how the red/blue switches will work yet? If done correctly, you should be able to stand on high blocks if you switch it while standing on a lowered one. It's probably the most difficult you would have to add, as it might have to change your collision system. It was the first thing I always programmed whenever I made an Oracles engine.
Reply With Quote
  #23    
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:04 PM
KingCharizard's Avatar
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Sorry bro, but the STL is bad because you cannot directly control how it allocates memory. No professional game developers uses it because of this. It relies on the heap too much rather than on the stack which is considerably slower. It's not designed for games. It's made for general use. You should read about programming game engines, I have a book (written by the lead of Naughty Dog) that I refer to.
The STL has been used in many professional games also it's defined by the very same standard document that defines the language itself. Read this

interesting how your trying to tell me what to do..
Quote:
Don't try to suggest something like this.
haha

But im done with this arguement...
____________________________________________

OP, is this gonna be a SDK for others to use or a game in development? If its an SDK can it be used with the free version of GM?
__________________
My personal website. UPDATED 8/29/2013
Reply With Quote
  #24    
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
Yeah the people who made it are in fact experts who have made the entire engine probably in C++. The industry standard.

at the college level you shouldn't be learning such things. Besides, GML is not a good language to learn its sloppy it teaches you bad programming habits. Its like trying to shoot fish in a barrel. Your not gonna learn algebra in college are you? No your expected to go into college knowing algebra.


As I said above GameMaker is very basic, its like the ABC blocks a baby would use. There is not one area of professional game development that I know of that your experience with GameMaker will be beneficial. Since this is a college class I assume you want to develop games seriously. You'll see soon enough that GameMaker will not help you reach that goal.

As a hobbyist GameMaker wouldn't be a bad toy. If you want to seriously develop games you'll need to look into more professional languages. It doesn't necessarily have to be C++, it could be Java, Python, LUA, C, C++, C# or other languages that engines use such as UnityScript or UnrealScript.
I presume the way you describe college you're out of the UK area.
In UK college is a High school level, i think, of America.
University is where you need to know all the stuff before entering.

And besides I come to college to learn not to show what I know. It's a waste of money otherwise.


ANyway, Last night I started working on dungeons, but no screenshot yet...
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #25    
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Catman's Avatar
Catman
Fast man
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cyber Space
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
Not to sound harsh but any college teaching/using Game Maker should not be teaching Game Development.. But It was just a suggestion, I see you have no intention of switching so good luck and i'll be following your progress... because i think this is cool
We're only using GML as a simple example of Object oriented programming.

Anyway, you want me to do the up-scaling thing for you again Varion? It looked like you had lost that part
__________________
This signature has been disabled.
Your signature is 21px too wide. :(
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.