The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Vandette
Beginning Trainer

I'm new to scripting, but not new to programming.
I wrote a pretty basic script with some messages and movement and I tried putting it into a script tile on a map in AdvanceMap after I complied it. The script does not activate upon stepping on the tile. I set the unknown value for the tile to 0003 (I tried 0300 too) and the Var number to 4050 as instructed, but to no avail. I know the issue is not with the script itself, because I checked it by assigning it to a Person Event, and it ran as intended.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:16 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandette View Post
I'm new to scripting, but not new to programming.
I wrote a pretty basic script with some messages and movement and I tried putting it into a script tile on a map in AdvanceMap after I complied it. The script does not activate upon stepping on the tile. I set the unknown value for the tile to 0003 (I tried 0300 too) and the Var number to 4050 as instructed, but to no avail. I know the issue is not with the script itself, because I checked it by assigning it to a Person Event, and it ran as intended.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Could you please post the script? (Just so I know what is supposed to happen)
Also, do you want the script to activate the instant the player walks into a new map?
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:08 PM
Vandette
Beginning Trainer

Thanks for your response! Here's a copy of the script I'm using. I realize that it does have errors (which I noticed when I ran it out of the person event, but I'd like to get the script tile to work before I do that.)

Spoiler:

'---------------
#org 0x71A400
goto 0x871A47A

'---------------
#org 0x71A47A
textcolor 0x0
pause 0x1E
playsong 0x12E 0x0
msgbox 0x871A4F0 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"???: Hey you!"
closeonkeypress
applymovement 0x2 0x871A68F
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x871A501 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"ALEKO: I'm glad that\nI ran into y..."
closeonkeypress
givepokemon 0x85 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox 0x871A589 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"ALEKO gives you an EEVEE!"
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0x828
msgbox 0x871A5A5 MSG_YESNO '"Would you like to give a\nnickname..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 call 0x871A4E9
msgbox 0x871A5D3 MSG_NORMAL '"ALEKO: I know that you've\nalways ..."
applymovement 0x2 0x871A69B
waitmovement 0x0
releaseall
end

'---------------
#org 0x71A4E9
call 0x81A74EB
return

'---------------
#org 0x1A74EB
showbox 0x1A 0x8 0x9 0x4
goto 0x81A7507

'---------------
#org 0x1A7507
special 0x17F
return

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x71A4F0
= ???: Hey you!

#org 0x71A501
= ALEKO: I'm glad that\nI ran into you before\nI head off to the Pokemon\nLeague for my internship.\nI got you something to\nremember me by.

#org 0x71A589
= ALEKO gives you an EEVEE!

#org 0x71A5A5
= Would you like to give a\nnickname to EEVEE?

#org 0x71A5D3
= ALEKO: I know that you've\nalways wanted a Glaceon,\nbut Ice Stones are\nreally hard to come by\nthese days.\nI'm going to be late\nif I don't leave now\nso I gotta run.\n

'-----------
' Movements
'-----------
#org 0x71A68F
#raw 0x13 'Step Right (Normal)
#raw 0x10 'Step Down (Normal)
#raw 0x66 'Happy ()
#raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

#org 0x71A69B
#raw 0x11 'Step Up (Normal)
#raw 0x12 'Step Left (Normal)
#raw 0x60 'Hide

So that's it. The script event tile is on the Route 1 map, so it's not activating as soon as I enter a new map, no. I just want it to activate once this particular tile is stepped on, and that's not happening.
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Matheus290
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Matheus290
Guys, I need help with two problems.

First: I created a new map, 1.123. I connected it with the existing map 1.113 (both are inside the folder "ICEFALL CAVE"). Done correctly, the 1.123 with 1.113 and 1.113 with 1.123. Went to test in VBA. When I move the map 1.113 to 1.123, the character goes through normally. However, when I went over 1.123 for 1.113, he did not return. It is as if the map were not connected. Tried to turn the maps by Advance 1.92 and 1.95 Map and none worked. How to solve this problem?

Second: This second map that I created, the character does not run. Just walk or use the bike. But if I press the B button (GBA) the character does not run. How to resolve?

Thank you!
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandette View Post
Thanks for your response! Here's a copy of the script I'm using. I realize that it does have errors (which I noticed when I ran it out of the person event, but I'd like to get the script tile to work before I do that.)

Spoiler:

'---------------
#org 0x71A400
goto 0x871A47A

'---------------
#org 0x71A47A
textcolor 0x0
pause 0x1E
playsong 0x12E 0x0
msgbox 0x871A4F0 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"???: Hey you!"
closeonkeypress
applymovement 0x2 0x871A68F
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x871A501 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"ALEKO: I'm glad that\nI ran into y..."
closeonkeypress
givepokemon 0x85 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox 0x871A589 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"ALEKO gives you an EEVEE!"
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0x828
msgbox 0x871A5A5 MSG_YESNO '"Would you like to give a\nnickname..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 call 0x871A4E9
msgbox 0x871A5D3 MSG_NORMAL '"ALEKO: I know that you've\nalways ..."
applymovement 0x2 0x871A69B
waitmovement 0x0
releaseall
end

'---------------
#org 0x71A4E9
call 0x81A74EB
return

'---------------
#org 0x1A74EB
showbox 0x1A 0x8 0x9 0x4
goto 0x81A7507

'---------------
#org 0x1A7507
special 0x17F
return

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x71A4F0
= ???: Hey you!

#org 0x71A501
= ALEKO: I'm glad that\nI ran into you before\nI head off to the Pokemon\nLeague for my internship.\nI got you something to\nremember me by.

#org 0x71A589
= ALEKO gives you an EEVEE!

#org 0x71A5A5
= Would you like to give a\nnickname to EEVEE?

#org 0x71A5D3
= ALEKO: I know that you've\nalways wanted a Glaceon,\nbut Ice Stones are\nreally hard to come by\nthese days.\nI'm going to be late\nif I don't leave now\nso I gotta run.\n

'-----------
' Movements
'-----------
#org 0x71A68F
#raw 0x66 'Happy ()

#org 0x71A69B
#raw 0x60 'Hide

So that's it. The script event tile is on the Route 1 map, so it's not activating as soon as I enter a new map, no. I just want it to activate once this particular tile is stepped on, and that's not happening.
Okay, try this:

You need a "lockall" command at the beginning of your script. (Just before "textcolor 0x0") Also, there needs to be a "setvar 0x4050 0x1" command just before your "releaseall" command at the end of your script.

Your AdvancedMap settings are correct, but since you used 4050 for the var number, you also need to insert a "setvar 0x4050 0x1" command at the end of your script. This will make it so that when the script ends, it will be removed from the game forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheus290 View Post
Guys, I need help with two problems.

First: I created a new map, 1.123. I connected it with the existing map 1.113 (both are inside the folder "ICEFALL CAVE"). Done correctly, the 1.123 with 1.113 and 1.113 with 1.123. Went to test in VBA. When I move the map 1.113 to 1.123, the character goes through normally. However, when I went over 1.123 for 1.113, he did not return. It is as if the map were not connected. Tried to turn the maps by Advance 1.92 and 1.95 Map and none worked. How to solve this problem?

Second: This second map that I created, the character does not run. Just walk or use the bike. But if I press the B button (GBA) the character does not run. How to resolve?

Thank you!
For the first problem:

Where exactly does the player end up after they go from 1.123 to 1.113? Does the game freeze or does the player get warped to a random map or something?

For the second problem:

Go to the second map's header. Under "Map Options" and "Type", what does it say? If it says "Inside", change it to something else. Any map with an "Inside" typing will disable the run feature for that specific map.

Last edited by Renegade; July 21st, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Matheus290
Beginning Trainer

Thank you for answering me. Well, I linked the maps. I'll show a image so that you understand what's going on... (open the Spoiler to see the prints)

Spoiler:

It was not to have problems ...

---------

On the second problem, the character cannot run. No, is set to "Underground" instead of "Inside". See:

Spoiler:

Why this is happening?

------------

EDIT: The second problem I fix changing set the "Show name on entering" to "??? [07]". But the first problem persists.

Last edited by Matheus290; July 21st, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM
Vandette
Beginning Trainer

Thanks for the help! I had another script using the same variable which would explain why this one wasn't triggering.

I appreciate the explanation, it really helped!
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:31 PM
mewmasterify
Actual Mew

Nature: Quiet
how do i insert an item that does a different effect like a Life orb into a gba rom?
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmasterify View Post
how do i insert an item that does a different effect like a Life orb into a gba rom?
Try this tutorial:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...=Item+creation
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheus290 View Post
Thank you for answering me. Well, I linked the maps. I'll show a image so that you understand what's going on... (open the Spoiler to see the prints)

Spoiler:

It was not to have problems ...

---------

On the second problem, the character cannot run. No, is set to "Underground" instead of "Inside". See:

Spoiler:

Why this is happening?

------------

EDIT: The second problem I fix changing set the "Show name on entering" to "??? [07]". But the first problem persists.
This might be a complete hunch, but it might be that your offset is an odd number. The game seems finnicky about odd numbers as an offset...if you look in the original games, I don't think any map has an odd number as an offset. I've had a few in my game that cause problems, and a few that don't. I can't think of anything else, though :\

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old July 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM
FrozenInfernoZX
Legendary Trainer ZX

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
Is it safe to use Advance Map 1.92 and 1.95 interchangeably? Due to me having to use the World Map editor.

Edit - I also want to remake my map as a DPPt map. How do I get the correct palettes for inserting into the game? It was easier for a FRLG map since the maps uses the original palettes.

-----------------------------------------------
Pokémon Teal Version
: Alphere's Throne
Pokémon Ultimate ZX
: God of Restoration
Uiyto region map still in progress...

Last edited by FrozenInfernoZX; July 21st, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:55 PM
dragonluver449
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonluver449 View Post
I'm curious, would it be possible at all to script this:
In my hack I would like to do something like, you get a glitch pokemon however it can be 'disinfected' (remove the glitch turn it back into a normal pokemon, while retaining nicknames, moveset, held items, level ect.). Upon 'disinfecting' a roaming legendary would spring up but what legendary it is would be determined by the starter you chose. I was wondering if there could be a way to do that??? If not I'll just leave that feature out of the game.

Thanks in advance!
Not trying to be pushy or seem impatient but my scripter was bugging me about this and saying that it's impossible, so I'd really like to know. Thanks~
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:54 AM
Ark_Silvanos

Quote:
Not trying to be pushy or seem impatient but my scripter was bugging me about this and saying that it's impossible, so I'd really like to know. Thanks~
nope its possible... though not to the extent your hoping for... but it requires some asm routines + good knowledge of scripts + a little imagination.

encryption/decryption routines.
Changing Pokemon Species.

Those plus clever use of flags and scripts and you've got urself atleast something similar to what you want.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Jasmin88

Hello, guys can anyone please help me. I just started editing Pokemon Wild Encounters in LeafGreen using Advance Map 1.95 and everything worked great i tried it in the game. So then i looked in the folder where ROM is located and i have Pokemon - Leaf Green Version (USA).bak extension. How can i combine or patch this extension so it can stay attached to the ROM, so i can only have Pokemon - Leaf Green Version (USA).gba ROM.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:36 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin88 View Post
Hello, guys can anyone please help me. I just started editing Pokemon Wild Encounters in LeafGreen using Advance Map 1.95 and everything worked great i tried it in the game. So then i looked in the folder where ROM is located and i have Pokemon - Leaf Green Version (USA).bak extension. How can i combine or patch this extension so it can stay attached to the ROM, so i can only have Pokemon - Leaf Green Version (USA).gba ROM.
As far as I know, you can't, that .bak file serves as a save file for the ROM (something like that) but it's not needed anyway why bother....
Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:38 AM
Jasmin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros View Post

As far as I know, you can't, that .bak file serves as a save file for the ROM (something like that) but it's not needed anyway why bother....
Thanks for answering. So if i delete the bak extension will the stuff i edited be lost?

Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:43 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin88 View Post
Thanks for answering. So if i delete the bak extension will the stuff i edited be lost?
No, it shouldn't, but do not delete it yet, as it is a backup version of your ROM. Basically, if something does now go wrong, you can change the extension to GBA, and you'll have the ROM as it was before the next edit, or that edit... One or the other, either way, it's a handy backup of your ROM.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Jasmin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
No, it shouldn't, but do not delete it yet, as it is a backup version of your ROM. Basically, if something does now go wrong, you can change the extension to GBA, and you'll have the ROM as it was before the next edit, or that edit... One or the other, either way, it's a handy backup of your ROM.
Thank you that makes sense. I was also wandering in the A-Trainer tool, is there easier way to find trainers, like by IDs or is there some kind of list of IDs for trainers.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:20 AM
LugiaMZ

Hello everybody, I have a question here. How to edit grass animation tile?
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Matheus290
Beginning Trainer

I managed to fix the first problem, the connections of the maps.

What I did to fix? I connected random maps on 4 directions (up, down, left and right) in the "rebellious map".

After I connect the 4, I removed all. So I connected just the map needed to be connected. Voila, problem solved. Thank you! :D
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
dragonluver449
Beginning Trainer

Me again. Ummm, how would I make this patch work on Ruby?
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=164
I love the tiles and really want to use them but I don't want to use Fire Red.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Me again. Ummm, how would I make this patch work on Ruby?
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=164
I love the tiles and really want to use them but I don't want to use Fire Red.
I don't think there is anyway to get it to work on Ruby. The only way to use these in Ruby would probably be to insert them manually. If you look in the tutorials section there are quite a few tile insertion tutorials.

My Question:
Is there any way to prevent items from disappearing out of the inventory when they are used? There are a few items I want to make multi-use, including the TMs
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
dragonluver449
Beginning Trainer

Thanks, how would I get the tiles for manual insertion? Or would I have to ask the maker of the patch for them?
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
oobio
Beginning Trainer

How can I change the respawn point of the player when they lose a battle?
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Thanks, how would I get the tiles for manual insertion? Or would I have to ask the maker of the patch for them?
You have to either get the image from the post you linked to and create the tiles yourself from that or apply the patch to a Firered rom and then use Advance Map to get the tiles.

Sponsored Links