• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Do you think that some of the Unova Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
The only pokemon I will agree that does not look like a pokemon is Druddigon. It really does look like a digimon but it is a pokemon. Most people like the Ice Cream pokemon. In fact,it's one of my favorites.

Years
I like all of Gen V designs and I kinda feel like if it was made by pokemon and declared to be a pokemon than it must be a pokemon, looks included...
So I don't entirely get how it can't look like a pokemon haha
I mean, sure, some of th designs don't look like they'd fit in with the original 151 (garbodor, druddigon, golurk) but that doesn't mean to me that they don't look like pokemon.

Although I will say the versions of kyurem look a little... out there.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2012
Well, Pokemon can be whatever. Thats what commercials say- Pokemon in all different shapes and sizes. But i see where your going, A water turtle(squirtle), Fire dragon (charizard), and rat (rattata) to ice cream, a candle, and trash.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
It all depends on your opinion on what a Pokémon is. You just have to get used to them I think.

And yeah, Trubbish is a weird Pokémon, but still, we had Grimer in the old days...

Years
You think that Gen 5 Pokemon look weird, but I read someone's signature and they were saying Red and Blue were new and Black and White were the first, but only to look at the Red and Blue Pokemon. A rock with arms, a MIME, whatever the hell Jinx is!! Some of the original Pokes were weird so don't say that the new ones are weird!!!

Well, Pokemon can be whatever. Thats what commercials say- Pokemon in all different shapes and sizes. But i see where your going, A water turtle(squirtle), Fire dragon (charizard), and rat (rattata) to ice cream, a candle, and trash.

A candle? Pokemon seems to be ripping Digimon off a lot in the past few games and Black & White 2 with fusion evolution. Primape from D/P/Pl looks A LOT like Apemon, and so on. Apparently the sound of Kuwagamon from Digimon Adventure is the same as the Anime sound of Rayquaza, so Pokemon ripped off Digimon with that. Ironic isn't it?

A lot of them are reminiscent of Digimon, but...you can tell the difference, I think. That being said, ice cream? Garbage bags? You can do better than that, Gamefreak ;___;

Buuuut on the other hand, Samurott, Serperior, Braviary, Joltik/Galvantula, Larvesta/Volcarona, the Lillipup line (i love dog pokemon <3) are some of my all-time favorites. I think the good designs far outweigh the bad ones, tbh.

What makes that reminiscent of Digimon? Just because they look strange? Pokemon is ripping off Digimon with Fusion Evolution in Black 2 and White 2 so yeah!!!

Last edited:

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
A candle? Pokemon seems to be ripping Digimon off a lot in the past few games and Black & White 2 with fusion evolution.

What makes that reminiscent of Digimon? Just because they look strange? Pokemon is ripping off Digimon with Fusion Evolution in Black 2 and White 2 so yeah!!!

Technically, it is not a "fusion evolution", it is just a "fusion".
Also, this "fusion" looks better than anything Digimon has.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
For all you people out there saying "IF GAMEFREAK SAYZ ITZ A POKEYMANS THEN IT LOOKZ LIKE A POKEYMANZ", then would you think that this would look like a Pokemon if Game Freak released it?
RCQYDW29.jpg

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah... that would look like a Digimon lmao. But really as far as Digimon-looking Pokemon in B/W go, it's really only Reshiram and Zekrom. When I first saw them they looked kinda out of place from everything else. As far as everything else is concerned it's more just GF went crazy on designs. :x Well, for a few of them aka Trubbish etc.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Yeah... that would look like a Digimon lmao. But really as far as Digimon-looking Pokemon in B/W go, it's really only Reshiram and Zekrom. When I first saw them they looked kinda out of place from everything else. As far as everything else is concerned it's more just GF went crazy on designs. :x Well, for a few of them aka Trubbish etc.

Nah that looks more like a Yugioh character lol.
Back OT, how can they not look like pokemon when there is no standard or rules for what a pokemon must look like?

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
When i first saw them I would agree that I didn't think some seemed to look like Pokemon, but I knew once I saw them in the anime i'd become to accept them.
The only one i really remember i didn't like was Heatmor (that's its name yeah?) but now i've seen it in the anime i'm okay with it.
There were a few more, but i cant remember them

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
If Gen V Pokemon don't look like Pokemon, then Gen I Pokemon don't look like Pokemon too. I mean...Seel? It's just a seal with a horn. It's 99% like the real thing. Ekans and Arbok too. They are just bigger than their real counterparts.

And previous Gens have as much weird looking Pokemon as the new Gen has. People are mostly hating on Pokemon that are really similar to the older ones.

Trubish = Grimer
Gothita line = Jinx = Ralts line
Haxorus = Rhyhorn = Tyranitar = Aggron
Vanillite line, tell me how it's not different than Slugma
Spikes on dragons = spikes on dinosaurs. Useless? In the game they mean nothing, but you know, if they were behaving like real animals, they'd use those spikes for offence/defence. It's not like previous Gens didn't have Pokemon with spikes.
The only really new thing was Chandelure. I like it, but I can understand people disliking that.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I think pokemon designs have evolved. Back in the days of R/B/Y no one had seen anything like this so pokemon stood out with simple designs. Fast forward to now and video games have become a lot more complex and popular so to stay ahead of the game Game Freak put all these different markings, spikes, and blades to make pokemon look "cool" to the younger audience. As proof of this take Arbok and Serperior. Arbok's markings include it's hood and the evenly spaced lines that wrap around it's body. Serperior's markings include... well just look at my avatar. A big difference right? I feel that if Serperior was made in gen 1 then a lot of the markings wouldn't be there. So do gen 5 pokemon still look like pokemon? Yes, but with a lot of accesories.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2018
First off, I'd like to say -- as has been said before in this thread -- anyone complaining about the Trubbish line and other Gen V lines based on inanimate objects (eg, Chandelure) that likes or doesn't complain about the Magnemite/Voltorb/Grimer/Koffing lines is really applying a double standard. If a trash or a candle Pokemon is unacceptable because of what it's based on, then any other Pokemon based on any kind of pollution / based on any inanimate object would have to be unacceptable as well, by that standard.

Now, I've been playing Pokemon since I got my hands on a copy of Yellow in 2002, and have thoroughly played through at least one game from every generation, including FR/LG (but not HG/SS yet) and I initially didn't like the Gen V Pokemon when B/W were announced. I firmly believed that Gamefreak were "running out of ideas" and that the new Pokemon "didn't look like Pokemon". After realising that both of those reasons were 1) completely invalid, and 2) didn't even make sense, I warmed up to the idea a little, and remained rather apathetic 'til I got White last week. Since playing that, I've warmed up to the new Pokemon, and even love a fair amount of the designs. The only ones I still really dislike are Vanilluxe and Watchog, but the rest I'm used to. Frankly, it was the nostalgia goggles clouding my vision, and me not wanting to accept the new designs out of stubbornness.

The fact is, the designs have just evolved over time, but they still look like Pokemon, and they are Pokemon. Not accepting the newer designs because they supposedly don't look like Pokemon is ridiculous. Same with claiming that they're bland and unoriginal. Having a personal dislike for the designs I can understand, that's completely reasonable, but just admitting that rather than trying to justify it with silliness like the arguments I've mentioned is, in my opinion, nonsensical.

Apologies if that's a bit long, or if I seem to ramble. :3

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I don't quite agree with Ice Cream becoming Pokemon it makes me laugh and hungry! :)

Also Stunfish, a Pokemon seems to be odd but I quite relate it to Magikarp.... :)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Vanillite line, tell me how it's not different than Slugma

Vanillite is a frozen dessert and Slugma is a molten slug. How are those the same things? Slugma was a great design idea, combining the slimy slug with molten lava, creating a brilliant design. Vanillite combined ice cream with the obvious element of ice, creating a really, really uncreative and random Pokemon. Plus, Vanillite evolves twice and Slugma evolves once.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Also Stunfish, a Pokemon seems to be odd but I quite relate it to Magikarp.... :)
I believe you mean to say Stunfisk. I don't relate it to Magicarp as Maricarp is the only Pokémon in history to only know the move "Splash" at Lv.14.

Cyclone

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
Years
Okay, some Pokemon I don't get: Klingklang. Like, I know it's a huge gear in appearance. I guess it's Unova's version of Magneton or something. When I first saw it, I'm like "what is GameFreak doing...?". Stunfisk is another. It has a derpy face, and I probably would have called it the Unown ! to be something else. Dunno what Scraggy's supposed to be, other than a chameleon or something along those lines. XD I find it cool, but yeah.

Keldeo looks like a My Little Pony thing instead of a Musketdeer. Even it's new form suggests this. XD

And man, Tynamo. It appears...ugh. D: It has such a cute cry, but ugh. Lol.

I don't quite agree with Ice Cream becoming Pokemon it makes me laugh and hungry! :)

Vanilite makes me hungry, too. And it has such a cute face. <3 Vanilluxe, too. But, the second one, I forgot what it was called (as I've never raised one), also has a funny face. They should make another Pokemon based off food. XD

Also Stunfish, a Pokemon seems to be odd

Exactly what I mean. It's sprite makes me laugh a bit, though.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Vanilite makes me hungry, too. And it has such a cute face. <3 Vanilluxe, too. But, the second one, I forgot what it was called (as I've never raised one), also has a funny face. They should make another Pokemon based off food. XD
Bulbapedia is your friend. :)

How about Pizzagresh? :P Signature move: Pepperoni. :D

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Bulbapedia is your friend. :)

How about Pizzagresh? :P Signature move: Pepperoni. :D

Cyclone

Only issue is this thread isn't for speculating on future food-related Pokemon. :( Juust in case anyone gets any ideas, of course!

Also @ another post, I agree about Tympole. It looks somewhat "nice" in the anime, but in the games it looks too realistic for... Pokemon. XD That's one of the few that really look different from what we've come to expect from Pokemon, imo.

Back