The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Yamiidenryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
Heres a small map I made using the default tileset that came with Essentials.

-snip-
Not bad. It's pretty compact, which isn't necessarily a bad thing- I'm guessing you were trying to make a small town? The only problem I can see is in the bottom left corner, where you have a tree overlapping a house- that looks really awkward. Either move the tree a tile to the left or the house a tile to the right. Other than that, it looks good to me.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:20 AM
shadowriver
Beginning Trainer

Between route 1 and Rinhill city ignore the whit line it was just my copy pasting skills it conects perfictly in game.

i have still got to tidy them up abit.
Spoiler:

#EDIT: Heres another map. this is PinWheel forest

Spoiler:

Let me know what you think.
p-Sign
Clowcardruler
Maruno
Venom12
FL .
Help-14
zingzag
rick1234

Last edited by shadowriver; July 27th, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Bramvdh
Unhatched Egg

Hi! I'm making maps for Pokenation. Please tell me what you think about them so I can improve them later on.

Route 1
Spoiler:

Pallet Town
Spoiler:

Last edited by Bramvdh; July 27th, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

shadowriver: you might want to use a name other than Pinwheel Forest. After all, that's in Unova. The rock area in Route 1 below makes no sense with trees on either side. Also, you can put all four maps in one file if you want; just manually expand the trees. I'm doing a project like that right now on an existing hack. EDIT: To the comment on this post, yes, I get that this isn't the hacks forum. I'm referring to something I'm doing on a hack, not suggesting the map is for a hack.

Bramvdh: :o You went all out of the tiling work, quite clearly...and you used different trees in the forest area. Never seen that. Also see the attempt to add depth on the right. However, I think the grass actually starts Route 1, doesn't it? Not sure why it's on the town map.

Also, Bramvdh, you might want to put the maps inside spoiler tags...

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Last edited by Cyclone; July 27th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Bramvdh
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post

Bramvdh: :o You went all out of the tiling work, quite clearly...and you used different trees in the forest area. Never seen that. Also see the attempt to add depth on the right. However, I think the grass actually starts Route 1, doesn't it? Not sure why it's on the town map. The rock area in Route 1 below makes no sense with trees on either side. Also, you can put all four maps in one file if you want; just manually expand the trees. I'm doing a project like that right now on an existing hack.
Thanks for the feedback.
About the rocks, my idea was of a broken off cliff. a sort of forgotten piece of a rock avalanche. Maybe the rocks are a bit to big.

About the grass in Pallet Town, I just made it on my memory and I remember professor Oak rushing from the village that why I added it their. I can fix it when it becomes a problem.

Are the different trees a good idea? It gives a more realistic view imho
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramvdh View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
About the rocks, my idea was of a broken off cliff. a sort of forgotten piece of a rock avalanche. Maybe the rocks are a bit to big.

About the grass in Pallet Town, I just made it on my memory and I remember professor Oak rushing from the village that why I added it their. I can fix it when it becomes a problem.

Are the different trees a good idea? It gives a more realistic view imho
The rock comment was on the wrong paragraph, you can disregard that. I meant the area under Route 1 in the map post above yours. Just corrected that.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
shadowriver
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
shadowriver: you might want to use a name other than Pinwheel Forest. After all, that's in Unova. The rock area in Route 1 below makes no sense with trees on either side. Also, you can put all four maps in one file if you want; just manually expand the trees. I'm doing a project like that right now on an existing hack. :)
I must have read your mind cause i had already fixed the rock area,replaced it with trees, before you posted lol.
and thanx for telling me bout the name i had no idear about that since i havent plaayed black or white yet.
p-Sign
Clowcardruler
Maruno
Venom12
FL .
Help-14
zingzag
rick1234
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowriver View Post
I must have read your mind cause i had already fixed the rock area,replaced it with trees, before you posted lol.
and thanx for telling me bout the name i had no idear about that since i havent plaayed black or white yet.
If you want to know names to avoid, in that case, here's a list:

Spoiler:
Wellspring Cave
Pinwheel Forest
Chargestone Cave
Mistralton Cave (which could be named for Mistralton City later on)
Lostlorn Forest
Cold Storage
Challenger's Cave (though this could be used in another area technically)
Celestial Tower
Twist Mountain
Moor of Icirrus (but that's for Icirrus City)

And that's the maingame, I'm not in the eastern side of Unova yet (still a little weak and will likely wander in Route 11 grass and hunt Audinos), though the E4 and Ghetsis have fallen. I do know Abyssal Ruin(s) and Giant Chasm are over there.

Cyclone

Old August 8th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Prof Oakley
JourneyofPossibilities Creator

Nature: Quiet
Spoiler:

I'm making a game with a sort of unique approach to it (although it sadly is like Pokemon Island, if you played that). This is where the wild pokemon would be and a few trainers, much like a route in official games. I don't know if I should have a closed off area like on the left with stairs to get to the next floor, either up or down, or if I should have them all connected together on one giant floor (it would have more than one connecting pathway like shown, I just wanted a visual example).
The blog is the place for where I update in more blog form about those topics and my personal life as well.
~~~
Others
Game Guides on Hubpages, DeviantART, Wattpad (Stories)
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Bramvdh
Unhatched Egg

Not sure what you mean Oakley.. They look almost the same to me

Viridian city
Spoiler:

Any comments?
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Prof Oakley

It's the same map, that's why it looks the same. I just don't know if having them all connected and on one floor in a giant map would be good or if I should keep it like the mystery dungeon games and have a ton of floors. The one on the right would be like a Northern edge of one giant map, like the safari zones have different areas.

Yours, Bramvdh, looks amazing. My only issue is that the gym roof is too close to the color of the pokemon center, so on some maps I might get confused if I didn't already know which was which.You also have a trashcan? that is kinda going through the fence in the middle house. I like the different flower colors and tree shades. Other than those minor things it looks great to me!
The blog is the place for where I update in more blog form about those topics and my personal life as well.
~~~
Others
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet

Nature: Sassy
Bramvdh, your maps are very nice and the nature blends in well with the houses, I especially like the variety in trees. 2 things, though, having the mailbox in front of the blue roofed house in pallet town looks awkward, it would be better to just swap it with the flowers or move it somewhere else. Also, I think it would be beneficial to get more modern, hgss-style tiles, since the kylestyle houses do look a bit old compared to the the newer trees.
Old August 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket-Dock View Post
Here my new creation for Natrium:
I like this.
Your tiles are simply marvelous. C:
Can't wait to see more.
Spoiler:

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Prof Oakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Spoiler:

overall I like this, though the tall grass tiles look a bit off to me. Your mountain edge pieces have a weird bright outline to them that make them look fake and unnatural. I do like the random patches of dirt path and rocks though if a bit blocky.

Spoiler:

okay, keep in mind I haven't added decorative items like benches, trees, shrubs, etc. Nor have I edited some of the edge trees to be different. This is just the overall look of the main city in my game.
~~~
Others
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
RaulCortez
The Emblem of Fire

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RaulCortez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Oakley View Post
Spoiler:

okay, keep in mind I haven't added decorative items like benches, trees, shrubs, etc. Nor have I edited some of the edge trees to be different. This is just the overall look of the main city in my game.

Hmm...it's way too big. Way too square, and way too empty. Even if you add benches, trees, or anything else i have the feeling it will still feel empty. I suggest making it smaller, and if you need more space make it bigger gradually. That way you'll make sure the map is correctly filled and on its right proportions. Also play with the trees, the shape of the river, the streets and all those things to make it look way more natural. Don't know what's going on there, but i guess it's part of your story. Moving on...

Spoiler:

I have two questions -

How many species do you think i should add to a forest like this? I first had 8 different species in the morning, 8 in the night, and 7 in the day, but i think that's a bit too much...any ideas?

What do you think of this grass? Do you think it fits the map or a Gen 3 grass tile would be better? (It's a gen 3 styled game, btw)

That being said, looking forward to your advice and opinions!

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Bramvdh
Unhatched Egg

@RaulCortez, I have no clue how many species you could put in that size of map but you seem to want a lot.
Everything looks the same color which makes it kinda monetary (not sure if that is the correct word)

Some interiors for Pallet Town, I find them hard to do so I could use some feedback. Thanks In Forward!
Spoiler:
Oak's Lab

House 1 + 2nd floor.

House 2 + 2nd floor

House 3 + 2nd floor

Old September 27th, 2012, 03:27 AM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
hey its my games starting town Newbud Townjust asking how the tiles look? should i change them?
Old September 30th, 2012, 04:14 PM
mrsnuggles

Nature: Careful
how is everyone getting such good pictures of their maps
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
arrhm arrhm if you want to take a picture of your map without some layers being darkend or the event grides just go to view and deselect the option dim other layers wolla you got your self a clear view of your map

Last edited by ppooookkkkkkk; October 1st, 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo's
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:16 PM
mrsnuggles

Nature: Careful
i know that but are they print screening & then Editing out everything but the maps or what?

here is one of my maps, Its called the great forest but im more than happy to take better name suggestions

Spoiler:

Last edited by mrsnuggles; October 1st, 2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Nilaul

Edit:

This is the pokemon game I making based around the concept of "each screen fits a map exactly". Every-time you go onto a new screen that "screen" will be discovered and registered on your map. The world will be around 169 of these maps (including cities). However not all maps will be so dense and many will future multiple paths (You will be able to tackle a few gyms in any order you like).

However this is the opening area of my game. The top two screens is the village of Vothamos (some things I'm working on still: Customizing the Professors lab, creating or finding some farm tiles and adding a scarecrow). The gateway leads to the town of Ekali

I'm still working on implementing a few things many because I discovered that RPG maker excepts transparency So I going to figure out how to do some animated transparent water hopefully xD

Any comments on the map design so far?

Last edited by Nilaul; October 14th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Pinta77
Swadloon Trainer
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77

Wonder Trade!!!
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Nilaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnuggles View Post
i know that but are they print screening & then Editing out everything but the maps or what?

here is one of my maps, Its called the great forest but im more than happy to take better name suggestions

Spoiler:
Ye print screen, paste and crop it. Just like you did It will be very easy to get lost in that map. Its just a series of trees and bushes. Nothing that a player could use for orientation. Add some dirt paths, add some water perhaps, elevate/lower some areas, add unique features or even recolour some trees (I think recolouring the leaves in a few trees is such a good idea that I'm gonna go do it in my own project xD). . Its a good start though :-)

Later, if you want to take in-game shots of your game, you can do that by pressing ALT+Printscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramvdh View Post
Hi! I'm making maps for Pokenation. Please tell me what you think about them so I can improve them later on.

Holly. Man these are amazing. I like how you re-imagined the classic locations yet you stayed true to the original. I do have a question though... if its an online game... shouldn't you be worried about choke points? Or could players just walk over each other? You potentially have quite a few there. :-)

Last edited by Nilaul; October 14th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
This is only a revamp of a map, but I wanna sdee peoples thoughts on it.
Spoiler:

Revamp of:
Spoiler:
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Nilaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
This is only a revamp of a map, but I wanna sdee peoples thoughts on it.
Spoiler:
Well I guess it makes more sense, then the old one. But since your making it more sense-full, why dont you make the gap between the ledges the length of the whole path?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links