Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs
Reload this Page The Hive ~Bug Types Fan Club!~

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2012 (08:08 AM).
This is how we live!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Starsprite
What is your favorite concept of a bug pokemon, and why?

Well, I think of all the interesting Bug Type concepts, Pineco and Forretrss are my favorites. This is mostly because, for the longest time, I didn't know what they were. I was intrigued as to why a pinecone evolved into a shell with cannons (cannons still don't make a lot of sense, but this is Pokemon.).

But when I found out they were based on bagworms, I thought it was a really cool concept, that they were using the pinecone and shell respectively as armour.

I also like Shuckle and (as much as I hate to admit this) the way Nincada evolves into Ninjask and Shedinja. I just have a serious vendetta against cicadas. They give me nightmares. xD

I also like a lot of the Gen V Bug Types, actually. Genesect confuses me though.
Old July 23rd, 2012 (12:25 PM).
Pokemaniac

Nature: Modest
AW MAN A BUG TYPE CLUB!? Count me in! Sign -Up commence!
UserName: POKEMONTRAINERZER0
Partners: Beedrill, Shedinja
Reason:BUGS are the most unique of all types in my opinion. Great design, incredible/unusual movesets and strategies, And, well I like bug-types!

Favorite concept of a Bug Pokemon?
Well, there are definitely a lot of awesome bug types, but the one that is most appealing to myself? Shedinja. It's just- how is it alive? Magic. I guess all I can say is that it's uniqueness and awesome design makes it one of my favorites.
Old July 23rd, 2012 (01:07 PM).
One of a kind.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Welcome POKEMONTRAINERZERO!

I really like shedinja too, the whole nincada line is very interesting. Even if shedinja is somewhat of a gimmick pokemon, the entire concept is really fascinating of it just being a shell. I also like the myth that goes with it of anyone who stares into it's back will have their spirit stolen.

Quote originally posted by Starsprite:
I also like a lot of the Gen V Bug Types, actually. Genesect confuses me though.

I agree, Genesect is really confusing. I like how it was once a prehistoric bug but I don't get why team plasma would put a canon on its back, or what they were planning to use it for. Also, why did they make it look like a robot? :? (presuming it was less robotic before (since all fossils pokes are usually part rock type so I'm thinking it was team plasma who made it a steel type))

When did I become us?
Old July 23rd, 2012 (01:51 PM).
Pokemaniac

Thanks Golurk, Good to be a part of this club.

So hmm a topic question?
uh..?

OH! Bug in real life that is a really good idea to be a base for a pokemon?
Old July 23rd, 2012 (05:23 PM).
CS

Nature: Jolly

Their cuteness.

I really think my favorite concept of a bug-type Pokémon is the factor that they have a type advantage to grass type. I remember when I first discovered that (by accident) and then I just took advantage of it one day in a battle.

Garnet is my birthstone, after all.
moderator of computers & technology
Old July 23rd, 2012 (09:00 PM).

Nature: Naughty

The question kind of confused me so I'm just going to go on with what I think is more fitting.

Bug type attacks such as X-Scissor, U-Turn & Megahorn are few of my favorite attacks. The type advantage that I most favor is how Super Effective Bugs are against Dark types, and like Zach said, Grass. It took me a long while to realize how effective it was against Dark Pokemon. As soon as I learn this, I didn't have to worry about Fighting type moves any longer. So as you can see, Bug type moves is a savior after all

The Pokemon I found interesting in design is Volcarona, because it reminds me a lot like Mothra in the Godzilla movies. Not to mention many nickname her that so its very common I presume.

What kind of bug is Escavalier suppose to be anyway? I don't recall ever seeing a bug hidden under a STEEL shell. Steel is man-made, right? I hope there isn't a scientist out there inventing/creating bugs like this. What if it became dangerous & poisonous? Sorry about the rambling lol

I've always thought Genesect was some sort of ripoff to Mewtwo..I don't even like the look of Genesect. Its Burn Drive/Techno Blast move seem pretty useless as it has a very wide set of movepool anyway.
Old July 24th, 2012 (10:34 AM).
This is how we live!

Quote originally posted by GolurkIsDaBomb:
I agree, Genesect is really confusing. I like how it was once a prehistoric bug but I don't get why team plasma would put a canon on its back, or what they were planning to use it for. Also, why did they make it look like a robot? :? (presuming it was less robotic before (since all fossils pokes are usually part rock type so I'm thinking it was team plasma who made it a steel type))
Of all the teams, Team Plasma is not the one I could envision modifying a Pokemon with a cannon. I haven't heard much about B2/W2 though, so I don't know. Still, it just looks strange. I can't really imagine it being a rock type though, like a fossil Pokemon. For some reason I can only imagine it being a pure bug type (albeit a scary carnivorous one) back 300 million years ago when it was supposed to exist.

Quote originally posted by Sector Revenge:
I've always thought Genesect was some sort of ripoff to Mewtwo..
That actually sounds about right, considering it's origins. I hadn't though of it that way before, but I agree with that.

Quote originally posted by Sector Revenge:
What kind of bug is Escavalier suppose to be anyway?
Apparently it's based on a Japanese Snail-Eating Beetle. Like...I guess it's using the steel like it would a shell. (At least I presume the beetles do something with the shell.)

Spoiler:
Old July 24th, 2012 (10:50 AM).

username: kazekage1ichibi
partners:caterpie. that is all.
why you like bug types: theyre way too underrated
topic: lack of bug type moves.
Old July 24th, 2012 (08:52 PM).
One of a kind.
Crystal Tier

Welcome kazekage1ichibi!

What's your favorite concept for a bug pokemon?
Lol. Sorry for the confusion guys. I originally meant what was your favorite "inspiration" for a bug type, but I like the way you answered it too! @Zach and Sector, That's one of my favorite qualities too! I love using bug type moves against psychic, dark and grass types. It's very helpful against the first two since they aren't weak to a lot. Plus it's just... I don't know, really fun using bug moves! :D

What's a bug in real life that should be a base for a pokemon?
Nice topic, Zero! I'd like to see a trapdoor spider, a mosquito, and an assassin bug. A roli poli would be cool too. Insects and arachnids are really cool and diverse in real life, but not quite so in the pokemon world (compared to say the water, grass or normal types) There tend to be a lot of bagworms, butterflies, bees, and beetles. I'd also love to see version exclusive bug types where one is based on a leaf bug and the other is based on a stick bug

Why do you think there is such a lack of bug type moves?
Thanks for the topic kazekage! (as a side note, I really enjoy when you guys make topics. I don't think I always have the best ideas and it's a new take, I guess) I'm not sure, to be honest. It's silly how few there are, as there are a lot of things bugs do that could be made into attacks. (web spin, sting, some nectar based attacks lol) I'm going to expand this to attacks you'd like to see actually, since I think that goes hand in hand with this topic. As for attacks I'd like to see, more powerful ones, and more stat boosters. Maybe one could be called Scurry (the user scurries away from the opponent, raising its speed and lowering the opponent's accuracy?) Another could be Sting attack (The user attacks the opponent with a large sting. The foe may become inflicted with paralyzation, poison or sleep) (60 power, 10% chance of one of the status inflictions happening.

Side note. Rewards will be coming soon! :D

When did I become us?
Old July 27th, 2012 (05:54 PM).

It be cool to have a praying mantis pokemon probably bug/dark possibly something like a roach or a botfly and i dont think theres any ciceadas wich is weird being as how many there are in japan mabye even a full on wasp with the stinger in the back unlike beedrill

As for attacks i definatley want an attack besides bugbite and tackle for caterpie, common fears for bugs is that they will burrow into your brain or lay eggs on you, those might be a little vile for the game but laying eggs could function like leech seed or mabye even do that with say it drops the enemy one def and raises you one attack because as the eggs hatch they hurt the enemys protection and give you a little army

One more thing for a ability for bugs hive mind which boost the stats of your pokemon for wvery bug type in your party, because bugs hardly ever fight alone, and what do you mean about rewards?
Old July 27th, 2012 (05:58 PM).
give me the words
CS

Nature: Mild
Quote originally posted by kazekage1ichibi:
It be cool to have a praying mantis pokemon probably bug/dark possibly something like a roach or a botfly and i dont think theres any ciceadas wich is weird being as how many there are in japan mabye even a full on wasp with the stinger in the back unlike beedrill
I'm pretty sure we've got most of these laready -- the praying mantis being Kricketune, and the ciceadas Shedinja and Ninjask. The wasp concept it good, but I still think Beedril basically covers it. Although, it's not like we haven't had two pokemon cover the same concept.. so I think gamefreak could do something like this, and still keep things fresh!
Old July 27th, 2012 (06:23 PM).

Quote originally posted by Curious.:

I'm pretty sure we've got most of these laready -- the praying mantis being Kricketune, and the ciceadas Shedinja and Ninjask. The wasp concept it good, but I still think Beedril basically covers it. Although, it's not like we haven't had two pokemon cover the same concept.. so I think gamefreak could do something like this, and still keep things fresh!
Forgot about shedinja and on the wasp part i was going on the basis that beedrill left some to be desired i was thinking one of the wasps with the long thin tale that turns into a fat stinger also mabye we should get a water spider, and mabye a spider that corresponds to the rainforest ones. And still i dont recall any flys being done
Old July 28th, 2012 (09:38 AM).
Say my name, silverflame, take control
Silver Tier

Hmm, I guess it has to do with the popularity of Bug type Pokémon, and just how there isn't much to them. There's a limited amount of attacks you could think of when bring up bugs, and most of them would have to with stings, bites, or something poisonous, which pretty much already has been covered in just the few attacks there are.

So yeah, I think it's mainly the limited amount of things you can base Bug type moves on that's the cause of a lack of Bug type moves.

Old July 28th, 2012 (11:32 AM).

Quote originally posted by Olli97:

Hmm, I guess it has to do with the popularity of Bug type Pokémon, and just how there isn't much to them. There's a limited amount of attacks you could think of when bring up bugs, and most of them would have to with stings, bites, or something poisonous, which pretty much already has been covered in just the few attacks there are.

So yeah, I think it's mainly the limited amount of things you can base Bug type moves on that's the cause of a lack of Bug type moves.
well they have several different types of bite. why cant bugs have ones that are based on different elementals, give bugs a chance to freeze, and technically poison sting is poison type.
Old July 28th, 2012 (12:16 PM).
Say my name, silverflame, take control
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by kazekage1ichibi:
well they have several different types of bite. why cant bugs have ones that are based on different elementals, give bugs a chance to freeze, and technically poison sting is poison type.
Well I don't feel like that would be very Bug type like. And on the contrary, moves based on elements like Ice, Fire and stuff like that usually fall under their respective typing, and on the topic of biting moves, that would just go to Pokémon that are big enough to bite with a certain power, unlike with Bug type Pokémon, who have their own type of bite, due to it differing from others. So yeah, it wouldn't really make sense for Bug types to be able to learn moves based on elements that already have typings, which is also why there are so few moves.

Old July 28th, 2012 (12:17 PM). Edited July 28th, 2012 by Starsprite.
This is how we live!

I personally would like to see a Diving Bell Spider as a Bug/Water type. They're so interesting to me, the way they use bubbles. I know that spider Pokemon have already been made, but the developers do tend to reuse concepts.

Also, I'd like to see...maybe a Katydid. There's no real reason for me wanting that other than that I think they look pretty cool. It would have to be another Bug/Grass type I imagine.

It might be nice to have some type of arctic insect as well, but I don't have a specific example for that.
Old July 28th, 2012 (05:08 PM).
Ledian Used Starlight!

Nature: Sassy
Username: Ciax
Partners: Volbeat & Illumise
Reason: Do I need a reason? Bug types are my favourite tpye, underated and disliked by some, they are still super duper strong. While I like the strong bugs like Scizor and Heracross, my favourite bugs are the ones that are percieved as weak but can actually work really well. Like Venomoth, Volbeat or Butterfree. Bugs Rule!

@ Starsprite-That would be an awesome pokemon, Surskit is sort of already
that but it evolves into a generic Bug/Flying and I'm sure they would make it look different. Bug/Water is an awesome combo and they should make a fully evolved pokemon that takes advantage of this typing.

What about a mosquito pokemon, it could have a move like Bloodsuck, which absorbs health and has a chance of poisoning and could evolve from a small-ish mosquito into a giant blood sucking bug that strikes terror into the hearts of his opponents.
Old July 28th, 2012 (05:36 PM).

Nature: Naughty
Sometime I see those ants with wings that fly around, that'd be a perfect evolution for Durant, though I don't think the Steel half would fit perfectly...So just have a different Pokemon with its own evolution/family line I guess, since it'll most likely be bug/flying.
Old July 28th, 2012 (06:03 PM).
One of a kind.
Crystal Tier

Welcome Ciax!

You guys have some great ideas! A diving bell spider would be really cool, and so would a mosquito and a flying ant. Another bug I'd like to see (as gross as it is) is a dung beetle, or a scarab beetle. I think those would be pretty cool.

I have to agree with Olli97, kazekage1chibi. If there were bug type moves that froze, it'd seem like those moves were being stolen from ice types. Even tough bugs don't have a whole lot of too base attacks on, I think the creators could get pretty creative. There definitely needs to be some bug type attack where the noise from their wings hurts the opponent or something haha.

@kazekage1chibi I'm glad you asked about rewards! They are now officially starting now, and it's all in the first post. Good luck! Also, if it's kinda unclear, please tell me as I feel I tend to be bad at explaining things haha. :D

When did I become us?
Old July 29th, 2012 (06:11 AM).

i suppose its not quite buglike. but i do think what i mentioned about the ability i came up with should be done. not many bugs fight solo, so they should do something that has to do with the "hive" mentality. the fact that they are alone out there is why people see them as weak they work together. so an ability akin to plusle and minum would be nice.
Old July 29th, 2012 (06:43 AM).
CS

I think bug-type Pokémon should come in flocks over certain areas like bugs in real life. Of course this is demonstrated in the anime, but what about the game? In every area that you see and discover bug-type Pokémon in the wild, they have various types, but I think that certain patches of tall grass should only contain one species of bug-type Pokémon (if you know what I mean ).

Btw, we can create our own topics relevant to bug-type Pokémon, right?

Old July 30th, 2012 (12:48 PM).
Pokemaniac

Oh, lack of posts from me. I forgot to answer my own topic question!

Well, i've always thought it would be cool if they created a dragonfly pokemon that actually looked sort of like a dragon-Yanma and Yanmega are awesome, but it would even cooler if they took "DRAGONfly" literally.

Also, it would be amazing if they based a pokemon off of a Termite.
Old July 30th, 2012 (01:43 PM).
Protect his very soul.
Super Moderator
CS

Username: TwilightBlade
Partners: Venomoth and Volcarona
Reason: I love Bug Pokemon! There's so many awesome Bug type Pokemon. They have such creative designs... Considering the fact that I'm scared of bugs irl, Gamefreak did a good job making these Bug type Pokemon the most amazing, huggable critters ever.

What's your favorite bug type, and why?
Volcarona, hands down. It's just so fierce and red... I love the idea of a flamethrowing bug too! Gee I look at my partners and I notice they're both moths. Moths scare me. They freaking fly everywhere and in my face and ASDFKGFDl;

Why do you think Bug types are the weakest?
Ahh Olli pretty much summed up my thoughts. Their real-life counterparts don't really pose a threat... You can crush bugs with a tissue or swat them into oblivion.

What is your favorite concept of a Bug Pokemon and why?
Galvantula... He's a static-y spider that clings to you! Spider webs are scary enough when I walk through them, but Galvantula's webs are infused with electricity... AWESOME. Also, I thought Chargestone Cave was pretty cool in general, haha.

Old August 2nd, 2012 (05:17 AM).
Ledian Used Starlight!

Nature: Sassy
Welcome TwilightBlade, that's a bit weird that you don't like bugs irl but like them in pokemon. I personally love bugs in real life and pokemon so it's win-win for me.

I would like to start a new topic.
If you could choose one bug type pokemon to gain an evolution which one would it be?
I personally would choose Ledian, it has an awesome design right now but doesn't really have the stats to back it up. It's evolution could be Bug/Fighting and rival Heracross as a truly strong bug.
Old August 2nd, 2012 (05:34 AM).
CS

If you could choose one bug type pokemon to gain an evolution which one would it be?

I am gonna go with Volcarona. Volcarona is probably among the strongest bug-type Pokémon in my opinion because of its contradicting dual-type (bug and fire), thus dealing some good damage to grass-types. I know Volcarona is already large enough, but it's just a thought.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links