The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:49 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOfWolf View Post
In which program I can use to cause the player start the game somewhere else instead his room? (FR)
Thank you.
You can use SMCA or Start Map Chooser Editor!

Here's a link to that in Hackmew's toolbox... http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85025

xD
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:24 AM
DarkOfWolf
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros View Post

You can use SMCA or Start Map Chooser Editor!

Here's a link to that in Hackmew's toolbox...

xD

Thank you very much !
One last question : inside the program "SMCA" where's FR\LG Extra i can put only the X value instead of X\Y like the R\S\E's values...
So now i do not know how to place the player in the map with X value only...
Can you help me?
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:16 AM
raging-inferno-1986
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging-inferno-1986 View Post
I have replaced the script (the whole thing) where Prof. Oak says '"OAK: Now, [player].\pInside those ..." but now I can't activate the script where you choose your starter. How do i fix this?

Thanks.
Can anyone help? I can't move on with my hack until i fix this.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM
ArthurWaine
Unhatched Egg

Hello pokecommunity! So far my hacking progress has been going pretty smoothly (thanks to the many great tutorials on here), but I'm kind of stuck at something right now: to bypass the limit on the amount of map names you can have, I decided to be smart and simply name all routes in the game PALLET TOWN, simply setting the option 'don't display name' in the header menu. However, when I enter the map, it displays the name anyway! I've tried doing this from both sides (both maps set to 'don't display name') and it still display both names. I'm kind of stumped with this, so any tips how to fix would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurWaine View Post
Hello pokecommunity! So far my hacking progress has been going pretty smoothly (thanks to the many great tutorials on here), but I'm kind of stuck at something right now: to bypass the limit on the amount of map names you can have, I decided to be smart and simply name all routes in the game PALLET TOWN, simply setting the option 'don't display name' in the header menu. However, when I enter the map, it displays the name anyway! I've tried doing this from both sides (both maps set to 'don't display name') and it still display both names. I'm kind of stumped with this, so any tips how to fix would be greatly appreciated.
This seems like a good idea, but I see one major pitfall: Maps. With all the routes set to PALLET TOWN, your head will always appear on Pallet Town, instead of the route in question. Barring that, of course, it might just be that town and route names are set to appear no matter what. Maybe try using one of the other map names, such as Celadon Dept. or S.S. Anne. (One of the names that doesn't pull up an image when you enter it).

However, if I may suggest an alternate, why not reverse what you wanted to do? For example, instead of making all the routes have the same name and setting it to "Dont Show", make all the maps you want to have the additional names have the same name and set it to "Dont Show", or just have the map share the name of the route it's on. I think it'd probably end up looking better, since if you opened the map (or even Fly), all the routes would say PALLET TOWN, and it might confuse your players.

You can always extend the list of names, in any case.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:14 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOfWolf View Post
Thank you very much !
One last question : inside the program "SMCA" where's FR\LG Extra i can put only the X value instead of X\Y like the R\S\E's values...
So now i do not know how to place the player in the map with X value only...
Can you help me?
Sorry, but there's no Y values in SMCA you can just reposition the map you have to the alignment you have in the X value...

Just adjust the map position for you to have it working properly...
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Epitaph93
Intermediate Digidestined

Nature: Calm
Anyone know how to change the level of newly hatched pokemon? I want to change it from 5 to 1. I'm thinking it's gonna involve ASM, which is no problem, I just can't find any information on it.
I'm Epitaph and I plan on releasing the first full-fledged Digimon hack of Pokemon Fire Red. We're getting close to the first release so come check it out in the Progressing hacks, and see how you can help us with the project.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
doredialove
Beginning Trainer

Hello everyone. I am a new rom hacker, and I want to know is it possible to modify the effectiveness relationship between types in black and white versions? (Eg. Making grass type super effective against bug type. etc)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:05 AM
MrSandman64
Pokemon Moon Creator

Hey PC!
For the past few days I've been trying to replace the FR Pokemon center with my own, but I've been having trouble can someone please help me?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman64 View Post
Hey PC!
For the past few days I've been trying to replace the FR Pokemon center with my own, but I've been having trouble can someone please help me?
What do you mean? Do you mean the Pokemon Center theme?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
ArthurWaine
Unhatched Egg

@MrSandman64:
Well, that would depend on what part you're having trouble with
A slightly more detailed description (what doesn't work/what breaks your game/etc.) goes a long way! Although I'm far from an expert, I've seen some common problems around the forums, and I might be able to give a tip or two.

@redriders180
Woops, hadn't thought about the part with the world map! Thanks for pointing that out ;
But anyway, I thought it wasn't possible to modify the amount of available map names unless you knew ASM (which I don't)? If it is indeed possible, any and all tips on how to do so (or a reference to a tut/guide that explains it) would be immensely appreciated!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:55 AM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurWaine View Post
@redriders180
Woops, hadn't thought about the part with the world map! Thanks for pointing that out ;
But anyway, I thought it wasn't possible to modify the amount of available map names unless you knew ASM (which I don't)? If it is indeed possible, any and all tips on how to do so (or a reference to a tut/guide that explains it) would be immensely appreciated!
Changing the amount of names doesn't exactly require ASM, it just requires a little repointing, and changing limiting bytes. There is a semi-beginner-unfriendly tutorial here, written by Jambo51, which details two ways to go about it (adding more names to the end, or using the Ruby/Sapphire names that are already in the game).

Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
MrSandman64
Pokemon Moon Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
What do you mean? Do you mean the Pokemon Center theme?
I'm talking about replacing the Pokemon center in the game with my own custom Pokemon center
I added the tiles into tileset2 (pallet town) in advance map but I couldn't figure out how to replace the FR Pokemon center tiles with my tiles

[QUOTE=ArthurWaine;7284143]@MrSandman64:
Well, that would depend on what part you're having trouble with
A slightly more detailed description (what doesn't work/what breaks your game/etc.) goes a long way! Although I'm far from an expert, I've seen some common problems around the forums, and I might be able to give a tip or two.

I inserted the Pokemon center into tileset 2 (pallet town) and when I tried to take the tiles that I enserted into tileset 2 I couldn't figure out how to replace my Pokemon center tiles with the original tiles

Last edited by MrSandman64; August 3rd, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
The_Show
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I searched "How to add flying position to a new map" and a lot of people have asked, but I only found one good and notable answer:

Spoiler:

You have to edit it in hex - Blazichu

Now, does anyone have an idea of how to do that?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Show View Post
I searched "How to add flying position to a new map" and a lot of people have asked, but I only found one good and notable answer:

Spoiler:

Here is a thread on how to do it on Pokemon Fire Red:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=206197
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:28 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Show View Post

Spoiler:

You ought to poke over to the tutorials thread...this is the best one (and as far as I can tell, the only one), and the one I used, with extreme success.

Edit: Why must you steal my thunder, CrystalStatic ()

Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Hey guys, just a quick question regarding the 25 extra ???????? slots for adding extra Pokemon. If I were to make these into new Pokemon, these will not show up in the National PokeDex, right?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:51 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
Hey guys, just a quick question regarding the 25 extra ???????? slots for adding extra Pokemon. If I were to make these into new Pokemon, these will not show up in the National PokeDex, right?
Those 25 Pokemon won't show up in either Dex.

Old August 4th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Hey guys, I am completely new to ROM hacking, and I am wondering what are the best programs for hacking DS and GBA games? Thanks :).
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:34 AM
ArthurWaine
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman64 View Post
I inserted the Pokemon center into tileset 2 (pallet town) and when I tried to take the tiles that I enserted into tileset 2 I couldn't figure out how to replace my Pokemon center tiles with the original tiles
Okay, I'm going to explain how to do it, and I'll assume you have Advance Map. If you don't, I don't have direct link, but your best bet would be to just get the Pokemon Game Editor by (I believe) Gamer2020, which you can find in the toolbox section, where it is one of the top posts, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Sorry, I can't post a link, but haven't quite gotten to fifteen posts yet

Just fire up Advance Map, open your rom, and either go to an existing PC map or to your own PC map (with tilesets 12 and 14 set as tilesets).
There, you'll have to open up the Block Editor (the button that looks like a puzzle piece). Then, on the top menu, you click picture --> save tileset 2. Just give it a name you'll recognize, like PC tileset or something, and save as either .bmp or .dib. After that, you'll want to follow Cello's amazing tutorial, which you'll find slightly towards the bottom of the first page of the Tutorial Section, as I think he explains it better than I ever could (and he has pictures: that helps a lot).

Now remember, if you want to easily and exactly replace ALL tiles in the PC with your tiles, without having to do any manual replacing (which mind you, might actually be a good idea, because you might experience some tile errors anyway), you could just search out the PC tiles, and paste your own in the exact location. Personally, I'd just do it the hard way, copy my tiles in the empty room underneath the PC tiles, and then construct my own blocks with that. But that's up to you.

Now, you'll need to remember that inserting tiles isn't enough: Advance Map constructs it's map out of BLOCKS, not tiles. As such, you'll need to either:
A. replace all tiles carefully. If you replace every PC tile with a matching tile of your own (one that would go on the exact same location in a block/map), you won't need to do any block-building of your own. However, as I said, this can be tricky, and I imagine it might lead to block errors.
B. build your own blocks. Slightly (or royally, depends on how much blocks you need to add) tedious, but very effective. This merely requires you to add the tiles to the empty space, after which you'll be able to build your own blocks to your hearts content.

Now, I haven't quite covered everything, probably, so feel free to ask if you still don't get something! (if it's something fairly specific and small, might as well pm me, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to help out)

Hope that was helpful!

@Zupplu
Well, that very much depends on what you want to do. Being fairly new myself, I can't say anything with total certainty, and I honestly don't know anything about DS hacking, but I do know that for GBA, you want to get yourself Advance Map, which you can get (as described above) in the Gamer2020's toolset, Pokemon Game Editor, which has not only two different versions of A-Map, but also a great selection of other tools so you'll be set for a good portion of things you might possibly want to do. Also, I can really advice getting Nameless Sprite Editor 2.X (or NSE 2.X), which lets you edit pretty much all of the pictures in the game. Also, you will need to learn a bit of scripting (because scripting is pretty much what makes anything happen in the game): XSE seems to be standard, and, how nice, it's included in PGE! You might need to look at some tuts though, because I personally didn't find scripting quite self-explanatory. However, a lot can be learned through just looking at stuff through A-Map, so that's always a good place to start As for everything else, just take a look around the forums: whatever you want to do, there's probably someone here who's done it, and a good chance there's even an easy tool for it, which let's you do it without having to go through the trouble of ASM, or even Hex editing. For anything more specific, just go ahead and ask away, and good luck hacking!

Last edited by ArthurWaine; August 4th, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Okay, how can i add a new house into a city? I made one on Advance Map, but how do I make the inside and stuff? Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:41 AM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
Hey guys, I am completely new to ROM hacking, and I am wondering what are the best programs for hacking DS and GBA games? Thanks .
As for the DS games, I believe the best program out there is something called PPRE, or Project Pokemon's ROM editor. It functions for the DS games similarly to how Gamer2020's Pokemon Game Editor functions for the GBA games; As a sort of tool that calls other tools. It's a little clunky, since its only at version 0.14, but it seems to get the job done.

I'm only a noob at DS ROM hacking myself (I just started trying it a few days ago), so my info might be somewhat outdated. I believe that most aspects of the games are editable, but maps seem to be one of the harder, or least documented, aspect of hacking the DS Games. Other useful tools I've seen so far are PokeTex, which edits OWs (in a much more hard-to-understand way, nothing like XSE or Overworld Editor RE), and a program to look at .narc files, which are all the files inside of a DS game (I have NDS Editor).

This meager amount of info I've only gained from poking around here, so Google is your friend in this case. While it might not turn up as many hits as looking up info on GBA tutorials and tools, someone's probably done a fair amount of investigation on whatever you need (as such, the most-known about games are probably D/P, and the least-known about are probably B2/W2).

Good Luck!

Edit: PPRE works best for D/P/Pt, although a couple of its tools work with HG/SS.

Old August 4th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
As for the DS games, I believe the best program out there is something called PPRE, or Project Pokemon's ROM editor. It functions for the DS games similarly to how Gamer2020's Pokemon Game Editor functions for the GBA games; As a sort of tool that calls other tools. It's a little clunky, since its only at version 0.14, but it seems to get the job done.

I'm only a noob at DS ROM hacking myself (I just started trying it a few days ago), so my info might be somewhat outdated. I believe that most aspects of the games are editable, but maps seem to be one of the harder, or least documented, aspect of hacking the DS Games. Other useful tools I've seen so far are PokeTex, which edits OWs (in a much more hard-to-understand way, nothing like XSE or Overworld Editor RE), and a program to look at .narc files, which are all the files inside of a DS game (I have NDS Editor).

This meager amount of info I've only gained from poking around here, so Google is your friend in this case. While it might not turn up as many hits as looking up info on GBA tutorials and tools, someone's probably done a fair amount of investigation on whatever you need (as such, the most-known about games are probably D/P, and the least-known about are probably B2/W2).

Good Luck!

Edit: PPRE works best for D/P/Pt, although a couple of its tools work with HG/SS.

Thanks mate definitely look into it. Okay, how can i add a new house into a city? I made one on Advance Map, but how do I make the inside and stuff? But when i go to the door it doesn't open or anything. Thanks in advance.
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:00 AM
ArthurWaine
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
Okay, how can i add a new house into a city? I made one on Advance Map, but how do I make the inside and stuff? Thanks.
For starters, every single map you enter is a single map in A-Map. So, the make a new 'inside' for a house, you'll have to make a new map, which you'll have to connect to the outside of your house. Here's how:

First, have a look at the different tabs in A-Map.
For starters, you'll need to confirm what movement permissions you need to have, and what kind of tile for entering (for just you normal house, the entire house needs to be set to 1, and door tiles automatically have the correct function for warps to work), then, you'll have to figure out where to put your 'warp' event: the thing that lets you teleport to another map, in this case the inside of your house. You could just check some other houses (clicking on the 'events' tab will show you all events on a map: people, signs, warps, and scripts), but for doors the general rule is to put them on top of the door tile.

Then, you'll have to select your warp, and tell it where it needs to go: it will ask for a warp #, a map #, and bank #, which really speak for itself. Of course, this means the inside of the house needs to have a warp as well, which (in normal cases) points right back to the one on the outside of your house.

Well, that's pretty much it, hope it helped.
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM
destinydownloads

Is it possible to remove a pokemon from the player with poketscript. If so what is the command?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
I believe they will not show up in the pokedex.

Last edited by destinydownloads; August 4th, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links