The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking > Hacks Showcase
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hacks Showcase Want to play a hack? Here, you can play some good quality hacks… or you can make your own and submit it here! (Unless you can show a significant amount of development, your hack starts at the "Progressing Hacks" forum first.)
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


View Poll Results: Hack of the Quarter?
Pokémon CrystalDust 69 26.85%
Pokémon Snakewood 117 45.53%
Pokémon Dark Future 71 27.63%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Ach7AC's Avatar
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
For you guys who actually voted for snakewood, did you actually play it? Not to be mean to the owner, but when I say CoolBoyman play it during the Rom Hacking Charity, it was really disappointed. A lot of the maps were ruby maps, with added rocks. . . Most of the fakemon where just pallet edits, and some of the trainers looked really weird.

I was surprised by how popular it was, and how it could be in this competition, let a lone be winning, I know that sounds mean, but it's true. . .
I do not exactly agree with you. Snakewood did take place in a post-apocalyptic Hoenn, so it would be natural to use Ruby's default maps. Not to mention that Cutlerine did create a bunch of new maps, such as the Shakya Monastery, the S.S. Cangrejo, and the Lilycove Sewers. Plus, even though I have to agree that Cutlerine's spriting skills are... not really above average, to put it in a polite manner, his story is truly unique. Even though zombies have been done to death(pardon the pun) in modern media, the plot twists, the sheer amount of factions, they all took my attention. To paraphrase Cutlerine, "While a pretty picture can take your attention for five minutes, an engaging plot can enrapture a person for hours." You can't really judge a hack's quality just by seeing its first few scenes.

In my opinion, Cutlerine's game was successful, his intent was not showing off with well-done sprites, nor was to showcase his mapping skills, but it was to tell a serious and dramatic story, with a few insanely crazy bits and pieces.

But I have to say something, Snakewood seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it game, sort of like Baro's Quartz.

Last edited by Ach7AC; August 5th, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
  #27    
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:42 PM
manutdrule's Avatar
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach7AC View Post
I do not exactly agree with you. Snakewood did take place in a post-apocalyptic Hoenn, so it would be natural to use Ruby's default maps. Not to mention that Cutlerine did create a bunch of new maps, such as the Shakya Monastery, the S.S. Cangrejo, and the Lilycove Sewers. Plus, even though I have to agree that Cutlerine's spriting skills are... not really above average, to put it in a polite manner, his story is truly unique. Even though zombies have been done to death(pardon the pun) in modern media, the plot twists, the sheer amount of factions, they all took my attention. To paraphrase Cutlerine, "While a pretty picture can take your attention for five minutes, an engaging plot can enrapture a person for hours." You can't really judge a hack's quality just by seeing its first few scenes.

In my opinion, Cutlerine's game was successful, his intent was not showing off with well-done sprites, nor was to showcase his mapping skills, but it was to tell a serious and dramatic story, with a few insanely crazy bits and pieces.

But I have to say something, Snakewood seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it game, sort of like Baro's Quartz.
agree with this. Of the countless hacks ive played, only Snakewood stands out for its interesting story and zombie theme.

It may not even be pretty (there are MANY other hacks of those with unique tilesets and creative mapsets and other watnots) but playing Snakewood felt...refreshing compared to playing other hacks which are basically just the same old boring "beat the gyms and elite4 while defeating so-and-so evil team" concept.

.
__________________


Last edited by manutdrule; August 5th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
  #28    
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
NarutoActor's Avatar
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brooklyn/Marlboro
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
While a nice story line is something I expect, it is part of the aspect of professionalism. I feel that, that is the most important part. All problems people could have with a Rom Hack are really just lack of professionalism, does it look professionally done? Is the question everyone must ask themselves when they play a hack. Does this look like it could have been a legit game? If it fails to do that, then the hack needs to be fixed.
__________________
~There are those people who understand hex, F the rest
  #29    
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
Gungnir!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
While a nice story line is something I expect, it is part of the aspect of professionalism. I feel that, that is the most important part. All problems people could have with a Rom Hack are really just lack of professionalism, does it look professionally done? Is the question everyone must ask themselves when they play a hack. Does this look like it could have been a legit game? If it fails to do that, then the hack needs to be fixed.
I disagree, a good hack can have a crappy presentation. For instance, Pokemon Ash's Quest, despite it's flaws, was a pretty good hack, and yet it was simply dropped off in the scrapbox and touched again but once, it wasn't too professional looking, either. Similarly, there are games out there that don't have good presentation but are insanely fun.
__________________
  #30    
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM
NarutoActor's Avatar
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brooklyn/Marlboro
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
A Lack of professionalism shows a lack of effort, and lack of effort equals less fun. If you're in to lock quality, then go head play it, but this thread is for the Best Hack, not the most fun. The best hack, hack meaning hacking, as in things beyond what you can do with Advance Map. Adding Text, trainers and some events (plus rocks) does not equal a Hack.

Also as to the argument that is is, post Hoen apocalypse doesn't satisfy wouldn't you think things would still look diferent, like empty houses, lots of messes, ect? There is a zombi in the PokeMart, is it that causal of a thing? Oh yeah buy some pokeballs, oh look a Zombi whats up? If the apocalypse happened now there would be houses in ruin, broken windows, fires, chaos, and people would run away from zombies! I don't understand, did the Zombies bring rocks with them? Because that was all that changed in those maps.
__________________
~There are those people who understand hex, F the rest
  #31    
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
Gungnir!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
A Lack of professionalism shows a lack of effort, and lack of effort equals less fun. If you're in to lock quality, then go head play it, but this thread is for the Best Hack, not the most fun. The best hack, hack meaning hacking, as in things beyond what you can do with Advance Map. Adding Text, trainers and some events (plus rocks) does not equal a Hack.

Also as to the argument that is is, post Hoen apocalypse doesn't satisfy wouldn't you think things would still look diferent, like empty houses, lots of messes, ect? There is a zombi in the PokeMart, is it that causal of a thing? Oh yeah buy some pokeballs, oh look a Zombi whats up? If the apocalypse happened now there would be houses in ruin, broken windows, fires, chaos, and people would run away from zombies! I don't understand, did the Zombies bring rocks with them? Because that was all that changed in those maps.
First I would say that a lack of professionalism isn't always a lack of effort. Many people try their hardest to make something that we would consider "unprofessional". Not always, but it happens often enough. Sometimes it's a lack of vision, sometimes it's eccentric vision, sometimes it's lack of creativity, and sometimes it's layout ignorance, all of which I have seen on more than one occasion, and that's more a lack of ability or difference in vision than anything else (though, as I said, it's not always the case. And I would say those things are a hack. Simply adding a rock is a hack; it may not equal a good hack, but a hack nonetheless. But if people just edited those things, that's not to say the hack would be bad. Some hacks are way more fun simply because of edited characters or just because of text, some hacks have small changes so enticing that they actually successfully persuade many into playing the games again just for the small changes.

Also, about the "post-apocalyptic" theme, there are various ways one could go about this. Just because there exists a zombie, that doesn't mean the zombie is evil. There have been cases where zombies were allies or members of society. Also, there are many different types of apocalypses. There's the "No Destruction" type, often see in plague-induced disasters. Then there's the "No Electricity" route, where there's destruction, but it's not so much "disastrous" as it is desperate. Then there's the mainstream zombie apocalypse, the Nuclear War Apocalypse, the Natural Apocalypse- it all depends on the vision of the one telling the tale.

BTW, did you ever play the game?
__________________
  #32    
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM
NarutoActor's Avatar
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brooklyn/Marlboro
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
No that is a Mod, a hack requires more than that, and a little bit of skill. It is a lack of effort, anything can be done with enough effort, and knowledge (With knowledge obtainable through effort).

But that is not the storyline, the zombies are the bad guys, and thats why you are fighting them, it wouldn't be an apocalypse if they were your friends.
__________________
~There are those people who understand hex, F the rest
  #33    
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:35 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
Gungnir!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
No that is a Mod, a hack requires more than that, and a little bit of skill. It is a lack of effort, anything can be done with enough effort, and knowledge (With knowledge obtainable through effort).

But that is not the storyline, the zombies are the bad guys, and thats why you are fighting them, it wouldn't be an apocalypse if they were your friends.
What I described was indeed a hack. You're changing a tile on a map to that of a rock. You are modding the game, but you are changing the hex to create the rock texture, thus it's both. In many cases, a hack is a mod (I did my research on the subject, but a quick Google search wouldn't hurt. A hack can be as simply as changing a single piece of text, and I can guarantee you that one doesn't take more effort or content than the other. If you don't believe me, look up Elsweyr for Oblivion and then compare that to...any hack in the hack showcase, there was quite an extensive amount of work done on it.

Also, that's not completely true about effort. One may think that what they have is perfectly fine, and that they did put all of their effort and knowledge into making it, does their ignorance mean that they didn't put enough effort into it? Is that even really ignorance at all? No, because it's their opinion that what they've made is "professional", and it's strictly someone else's opinion that it's not, the subject itself is very objective. A lack of effort implies that one didn't give it their all in what they were doing, and in many cases of unprofessionalism that's not the case.

Also, have you played the game?
__________________
  #34    
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM
First time hacker's Avatar
First time hacker
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: May 2011
Gender: Male
All the hacks look great! I have played snakewood and the thing about it was even though it was the same maps, it was a completely different game. This hack had true originality and creativity to it. Another remake (even though very well done) is a very used theme. I voted for Snakewood because my favorite part of hacks is starting a NEW adventure in pokemon.
  #35    
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Crimson5M's Avatar
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
I voted for Snakewood because Crystal Dust is a remake, and I've never heard of the other one. That and I enjoyed the storyline and it is the most original hack created to date.
__________________

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC

Last edited by giradialkia; August 9th, 2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: off topic parts
  #36    
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM
diegoisawesome's Avatar
diegoisawesome
Not the Script Help Thread
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Goldenrod City, Johto
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
I voted for Snakewood because Crystal Dust is a remake, and I've never heard of the other one. That and I enjoyed the storyline and it is the most original hack created to date.
So you didn't vote for CrystalDust just because it's a remake? I'm okay with you voting for Snakewood, but being a remake doesn't mean that it's a bad hack, and you're supposed to judge based on quality, not necessarily originality.
__________________


My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles

Last edited by giradialkia; August 9th, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
  #37    
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:12 AM
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
A Lack of professionalism shows a lack of effort, and lack of effort equals less fun. If you're in to lock quality, then go head play it, but this thread is for the Best Hack, not the most fun. The best hack, hack meaning hacking, as in things beyond what you can do with Advance Map. Adding Text, trainers and some events (plus rocks) does not equal a Hack.
I agree with the part about professionalism - most hacks lack this and is the main reason I often get bored with each one I play. I've finished Ruby Destiny Rescue Rangers a couple of years ago but don't think I've played through any other rom hack since then (expect for finishing Prism's summer beta but that's that). Yet even both of these were missing the real excitement even if they had lots of nice scripting, especially Prism.

About the other fact though, I've to disagree even though I also used to think like you do. We should be voting for the most entertaining hack, not the hack with the most skillful creator. I believe diegoisawesome is the best among the three of us although it's hard to say anything for sure, I too am pretty fluent with (GB) assembly these days, and can't say a thing about Cutlerine. But that's not the point of the competition now is it ?

Personally, if I had never played G/S/C (wouldn't be creating Dark Future then though, hahha), I would vote for CrystalDust instead of Snakewood (and possibly my own hack). It would be something way more original then but I'm not a big fan of remakes myself so haven't gotten far with it either (not sure if I have even ever played it or not ?!). This far, I haven't voted for any because it's a bit unclear whether you can vote for your hack or not but would that really make a difference if all three of us did so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uran10 View Post
Now like I said Snakewood has got this, great storyline, great character development. If dark future was completed it probably would be kicking some butt right now.
You've no idea how right you're right with this assumption as the game (storylinely-wise) doesn't really even begin in Beta 3.
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations

Last edited by miksy91; August 6th, 2012 at 01:20 AM.
  #38    
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Bix Nood
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Male
Voting for Dark Future, since Miksy did a lot of awfully hard work on it, and it's nice to see Silver so thoroughly hacked.
  #39    
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:11 AM
General Faroh's Avatar
General Faroh
So...kidneys change colors?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
No that is a Mod, a hack requires more than that, and a little bit of skill. It is a lack of effort, anything can be done with enough effort, and knowledge (With knowledge obtainable through effort).

But that is not the storyline, the zombies are the bad guys, and thats why you are fighting them, it wouldn't be an apocalypse if they were your friends.
I love how you keep dodgeing this question.
Quote:
Also, have you played the game?
If it's a no, why bother commenting on a hack you never played. If it's a yes, then that's your opinion but doesn't give you the right to talk down about a hack that "isn't as beautiful as Flora Sky" (the tiles hurt my eyes in that hack) but what mostly is a beautiful hack has an unoriginal story. I'd rather pick an original hack then a graphicly amazing.

I voted for Snakewood because I never played the other two games but I might give them a try.
__________________

  #40    
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:07 AM
LiquoriceBeef
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Off-topic: Hi, I'm new to PC btw.
On-topic: My vote goes to Snakewood because it has a great storyline, creepy zombie Pokes and some cool Fakemon. I'd love to play CrystalDust but I have a Mac and the latest version of VBA-M won't run in my WineBottler, so :c
I'm going to try Dark Future; but if it were just between Snakewood and Crystal Dust, it'd be a tie 'cause Crystal Dust looks EPIC.

[snip]

Last edited by giradialkia; August 9th, 2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Don't be rude in your posts, please.
  #41    
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:57 AM
PokemonGiratinaX's Avatar
PokemonGiratinaX
Will be always PGX
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Blue Earth
Nature: Modest
I have vote Snakewood because it have a new storyline and new Pokemon. I also liked it because it have a "Zombie Theme" and that is rare to find in many Pokemon Hack. Also, I like the reference and the new character in this hack.

Last edited by PokemonGiratinaX; August 6th, 2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Corrected some word.
  #42    
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Crimson5M's Avatar
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome View Post
So you didn't vote for CrystalDust just because it's a remake? I'm okay with you voting for Snakewood, but being a remake doesn't mean that it's a bad hack, and you're supposed to judge based on quality, not necessarily originality.
I will vote on every aspect of the hack, including originality. In my opinion there is no point in making a remake when there are a countless amount of them already out there, the reason Shiny Gold was loved so much is because it was new, it hadn't been done and everyone wanted a remake. Now we have Shiny Gold, Liquid Crystal, Oro Sole, that one on WAH, the one ZodiacDaGreat made, tons of newbies have tried to make one, your own hack, and even Game Freak made remakes.

Now think about it. Do we really need another one? Seriously? No thinking goes into it, you're not writing your own plot, you're not making your own sprites--well, other than the few people that take a sprite from the originals and change the colours on it thinking it looks good--you're not making your own maps, you're barely doing anything at all, you're porting Game Freak's work from their game into yours.

I'm not saying your hack is bad, it could be a really amazing hack, but I don't feel we need more remakes, there are very few original hacks out there, Snakewood is without a doubt one of the most original, whereas remakes are the least. I think Snakewood has tons of flaws, but I'm voting for it because it is more original than the others and new hackers should be aspiring to make something that will have people gripped and entertained, something different that people can gain ideas from, as a community should, instead of something that everyone and their mother has done.
__________________

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
  #43    
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
Gungnir!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
So far Crystal Dust is very impressive, it may be a mostly pure remake, but as a hacker, I appreciate all of the work put into it and how it was utilized (seriously, the use of ASM is mindblowing). The music melds so well with the voicegroups, it's really commendable, and the sprites look professional, all of which I appreciate; heck, you'd think it was an official game. I still have to try the other two, but if they are anywhere near as impressive...well, I'll be anticipating great things in the future of Pokemon Rom Hacking.
__________________

Last edited by machomuu; August 6th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
  #44    
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM
manutdrule's Avatar
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
So far Crystal Dust is very impressive, it may be a mostly pure remake, but as a hacker, I appreciate all of the work put into it and how it was utilized (seriously, the use of ASM is mindblowing). The music melds so well with the voicegroups, it's really commendable, and the sprites look professional, all of which I appreciate; heck, you'd think it was an official game. I still have to try the other two, but if they are anywhere near as impressive...well, I'll be anticipating great things in the future of Pokemon Rom Hacking.
if all that hacking prowess had been used for say, Snakewood with its more original story (and maybe refined a little). Was precisely thinking if Snakewood has better graphics/sounds/ASM...perhaps some grimy L4D2/Fallout esque post apocalyptic tilesets/mapping plus better designed sprites for the Fakemon (rather than just recolor), woot. What about custom music relating to zombie themed pop culture? We would easily had ourself a Hack of the Year.

Felt it was wasted on a hack which already has countless remakes. Already have more than enough my fill of nostalgia playing HGSS/Shiny Gold/LiquidCrystal/Gen2 hacks etc thank you.
__________________


Last edited by manutdrule; August 6th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
  #45    
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Ach7AC's Avatar
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
if all that hacking prowess had been used for say, Snakewood with its more original story (and maybe refined a little). Was precisely thinking if Snakewood has better graphics/sounds/ASM...perhaps some grimy L4D2/Fallout esque post apocalyptic tilesets/mapping plus better designed sprites for the Fakemon (rather than just recolor), woot. What about custom music relating to zombie themed pop culture? We would easily had ourself a Hack of the Year.

Felt it was wasted on a hack which already has countless remakes. Already have more than enough my fill of nostalgia playing HGSS/Shiny Gold/LiquidCrystal/Gen2 hacks etc thank you.
That's sort of missing Cutlerine's point. Snakewood was his successful attempt of showing that a good storyline can make a hack go as far as decent graphics and sprites. But when it comes to ASM, I'm pretty sure that with the twisted Hoenn setting, there could be quite a lot of potential.

Returning to Crystal Dust. Even though the game is highly refined and is of excellent quality, it sort of lacks in originality. ShinyGold is only famous as it was one of the first attempts at re-creating Johto with a Gen. III engine. Nowadays, there is not only Crystal Dust, several other small attempts at re-making Johto, and ShinyGold, but the official DS remakes (HG/SS), and even the more game-wise advanced Liquid Crystal.

Dark future also seems interesting with a few original concepts like Snakewood, and I will likely play it once it is finished. Especially since this may be an unique experience, considering how rare are the Gen I and Gen II hacks.

Like I said above, every hack has its own charms, so this "X hack is the worst hack ever because I didn't like Y." is really getting old.
  #46    
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
Gungnir!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
^That's really the point of CD, though. Crystal Dust is so impressive simply because it's a pure remake, something I usually loathe. It uses advanced and creative hacking techniques to replicate that of GSC, rather than taking liberties to make something new at the expense of various features. Thus, it is original in it's own right, as no other game actually does what it does, I'd say decrying the game for that would be a mistake, but it's subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
if all that hacking prowess had been used for say, Snakewood with its more original story (and maybe refined a little). Was precisely thinking if Snakewood has better graphics/sounds/ASM...perhaps some grimy L4D2/Fallout esque post apocalyptic tilesets/mapping plus better designed sprites for the Fakemon (rather than just recolor), woot. What about custom music relating to zombie themed pop culture? We would easily had ourself a Hack of the Year.

Felt it was wasted on a hack which already has countless remakes. Already have more than enough my fill of nostalgia playing HGSS/Shiny Gold/LiquidCrystal/Gen2 hacks etc thank you.
Great, but I wasn't contributing to any argument or debate, I was just making a general statement.
__________________

Last edited by machomuu; August 6th, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
  #47    
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
CycloneGU's Avatar
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
if all that hacking prowess had been used for say, Snakewood with its more original story (and maybe refined a little). Was precisely thinking if Snakewood has better graphics/sounds/ASM...perhaps some grimy L4D2/Fallout esque post apocalyptic tilesets/mapping plus better designed sprites for the Fakemon (rather than just recolor), woot. What about custom music relating to zombie themed pop culture? We would easily had ourself a Hack of the Year.

Felt it was wasted on a hack which already has countless remakes. Already have more than enough my fill of nostalgia playing HGSS/Shiny Gold/LiquidCrystal/Gen2 hacks etc thank you.
I'm sorry, but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you. Snakewood contains a lot of Fakemon in it. For me, a Pokémon hack should still be centered around the Pokémon. Not fake creations (see Quartz, where all 251 got makeovers with their existing stats). And the storyline, while there are interesting elements, takes away from a true Pokémon game by not requiring a Trainer to battle all of the Gym Leaders before the Elite 4. These two differences make it feel less like a Pokémon game. I admit the screenshots look great, but there's something to be said for visiting familiar places.

You also have to note the other real challenge here. CrystalDust is a remake of Crystal on the platform of EMERALD - I mean, if Diegos wants, he could stick Hoenn Pokémon all over Johto! They're already coded, nothing fake! He has a full 386 Pokémon to play with, and can even create new storylines right in the middle of the Crystal storyline if he wishes (see Millenium Comet with Jirachi, or a way to summon Deoxys by collecting certain items scattered across Johto and Kanto). And they're the real thing, not what Crystal itself would call "Fakemon".

In other words, I'd say redoing the entire G/S/C game here is a solid effort in the ROM hacking realm. It's definitely not a "waste of time". It's still a beta, not a finished product, and deserves support. Heck, I'm playing it right now as I type.

Cyclone
__________________


Pokémon Black - National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012
- My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada is still in Unova. I will be cloning it and importing a number of clones into Kalos for anyone interested. DW females may also be available if I have them.

Pokémon SoulSilver FC: 4943 2589 0519
Pokémon Black FC: 2538-0207-3336
Pokémon White 2 FC: 1335-5830-8725

Also playing Pokémon Light Platinum. Currently in Snowce City.
  #48    
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
Gungnir!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
There is a crapton of work put into Crystal Dust, and it's just plain inconsiderate to trash it because "it's been done". There are a bunch of games that have been done and redone in different ways and no one seems to care. The fact of the matter is, you're getting an option to play a game that someone put hours upon hours of work into creating, for free, I might add. Then to say "that work is wasted, it could be put to use on something better" is not only inconsiderate, it's almost downright criminal. Just plain disgusting. CD is a different take on GSC, and at the same time, it's the same take, but done differently than has been done before. It adds to the variety of choices, most of which are free, of GSC remake hacks, and you'll actually complain about this? Really? I doubt Snakewood's creator wouldn't be so happy hearing that his job could be done so much better, and then having all of the flaws of his hack pointed out. Oh, and he's doing this for free, too. It's just plain disgusting, and completely inconsiderate.
__________________

Last edited by machomuu; August 6th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
  #49    
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
SK3's Avatar
SK3
Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Johto
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SK3
My vote is split between Dark Future and CrystalDust, respectively.
I respect every hacker who has his hack represented in this competition, however I can honestly say, after playing, I did not enjoy Snakewood as much as I did Dark Future and CrystalDust. It did not feel like a Pokemon game to me. Although I am a person who respects originality, and am completely open to it, there is a certain point where you draw the line, the line being where you lose that "Pokemon feel". The zombies, the Fakemon, was a total turn-off for me. Not following Nintendo's footsteps when you make your hack can end up leading to something epic or something disappointing.

However, I'm not here to diss this hack, just share my experience with it. The amount of time and effort Cutlerine put towards it is very commendable. Considering he completed pretty the entire project by himself makes me respect him. However, I still enjoy the other two hacks more, because tons of effort were put into them as well, but they also came out to be very enjoyable (for me, at least). That's just my two cents
__________________

Pokemon
Daydream White version


Want to help out? Just PM or VM me!

  #50    
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Crimson5M's Avatar
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you. Snakewood contains a lot of Fakemon in it. For me, a Pokémon hack should still be centered around the Pokémon. Not fake creations (see Quartz, where all 251 got makeovers with their existing stats). And the storyline, while there are interesting elements, takes away from a true Pokémon game by not requiring a Trainer to battle all of the Gym Leaders before the Elite 4. These two differences make it feel less like a Pokémon game. I admit the screenshots look great, but there's something to be said for visiting familiar places.

You also have to note the other real challenge here. CrystalDust is a remake of Crystal on the platform of EMERALD - I mean, if Diegos wants, he could stick Hoenn Pokémon all over Johto! They're already coded, nothing fake! He has a full 386 Pokémon to play with, and can even create new storylines right in the middle of the Crystal storyline if he wishes (see Millenium Comet with Jirachi, or a way to summon Deoxys by collecting certain items scattered across Johto and Kanto). And they're the real thing, not what Crystal itself would call "Fakemon".

In other words, I'd say redoing the entire G/S/C game here is a solid effort in the ROM hacking realm. It's definitely not a "waste of time". It's still a beta, not a finished product, and deserves support. Heck, I'm playing it right now as I type.

Cyclone
It's not just a hack, it's a fake Pokémon game, therefore a Fakémon game.
Try again.
__________________

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.