Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tutorial] A Beginner's Guide to Shiny Hacking

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old January 7th, 2012 (10:15 PM).
hiiiii

Nature: Calm
Hey guys!
This tutorial will teach you everything you know about Shiny Hacking. If you want to make some sort of epic event that gives you a Shiny Pokemon for your hack (or if you just want to learn it), then this tutorial is for you. I'm trying to make this tutorial as beginner-friendly as possible and I hope everyone reading this would understand this tutorial

Someone has already made this tutorial somewhere before but the thread died out so I decided to make another one but this time more beginner-friendly. But if you are a newbie, please make sure to learn how to use AdvanceMap and PKSV first, since there are many tutorials here explaining how to use it.

Below is a video demonstrating the miraculous works of this hack.

Now to get started...

Programs/files needed:
Spoiler:
  • Shiny Hack Maker
  • PKSV
  • AdvanceMap
  • Any of the following supported ROMs: BPRE FireRed (USA) - AVXE Ruby (USA) - BPEE Emerald (USA)
  • Your emulator

You may download PKSV here and AdvanceMap here. Oh, and Shiny Hack Maker here (credits to HackLars for making the tool ).

Getting Started:
Spoiler:
Alright, so to get started, first open up Shiny Hack Maker then go to File>Open ROM. The ROM should read and clarify what kind of ROM you just opened. Now click "Edit Shiny Routine."

Now that the shiny routine has been edited, you may now make your script. For the scripting part, you'll need the callasm command and if you don't know how to make one or are too lazy to make one yourself, then too bad for you you can always follow the script pattern I made for you below. Note that the ones in open and close parenthesis are the ones you need to fill in.

Spoiler:
#dyn 0x740000
#org @main
callasm 0x71B771
checkflag 0x(insert flag number here)
if true jump @done
addpokemon (insert Pokemon here) (insert level here) (insert held item here) 0 0 0
message @take
callstd MSG_NORMAL
callasm 0x71B771
setflag 0x828
setflag 0x(insert flag number here)
release
end

#org @done
message @hi
callstd MSG_NORMAL 
release
end

#org @take
= (insert message here)

#org @hi
= (insert message here)

Note: DON'T CHANGE THE CALLASM COMMAND UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST SOME KNOWLEDGE OF ASM!!!

You can copy paste that to notepad and then "fill in the blanks" from there. Here's a finished script I made:

Spoiler:
#dyn 0x740000
#org @main
callasm 0x71B771
checkflag 0x200
if true jump @done
addpokemon CHARMANDER 5 NONE 0 0 0
message @take
callstd MSG_NORMAL
callasm 0x71B771
setflag 0x828
setflag 0x200
release
end

#org @done
message @hi
callstd MSG_NORMAL 
release
end

#org @take
= dragon456: So you're here.\nWell, well, nice work.\pAs a reward, I give you this.\nIt's a rare Pokemon I found.\pRaise it well.

#org @hi
= So how's CHARMANDER doing?

Now go to ROM>>Compile and then copy the offset to your clipboard.

After that's done, open up AdvanceMap. Now create the person event, then paste your offset and VOILA!!! You have a Shiny Script Event

And that's all for now

Thanks for wasting spending your time on this tutorial. I plan to update this post soon and create an XSE tutorial as well once I learn XSE basics and stuff.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me anytime
Old January 11th, 2012 (04:31 PM).
What da!?
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to zZJoennZz
There's XSE and I think many hackers uses it compare to PKSV but still, thanks for the tutorial.

...mehehehe
Old January 15th, 2012 (07:45 AM).
Beginning Hack-maker

Nature: Adamant
What's changing if you changed the shiny routine? Is there a bigger chance now for encountering shinies? Or is it that you can "force" to make Shiny events?

Don't know much about hacking except for the mapping, so it'll take a while before I release the first beta
Old January 15th, 2012 (07:51 AM).
hiiiii

Quote originally posted by N!elz:
What's changing if you changed the shiny routine? Is there a bigger chance now for encountering shinies? Or is it that you can "force" to make Shiny events?
It alters the shiny routine for our specified 'callasm' script to match with the new routine. So in a way, it 'forces' the game to make shiny events, yes.
Old January 15th, 2012 (11:46 AM).
Beginning Hack-maker

Quote originally posted by dragon456:
It alters the shiny routine for our specified 'callasm' script to match with the new routine. So in a way, it 'forces' the game to make shiny events, yes. :)
Okay! Thanks for the answer :) I'll be using this one in my hack I think!

Oh, and by the way, if I wanted to make it a battle against a ''forced'' shiny, can I use that same "callasm" script but place it in a battle script, or doesn't it work that way? (you don't have to give explanation if you don't feel like it)

Don't know much about hacking except for the mapping, so it'll take a while before I release the first beta
Old January 15th, 2012 (11:17 PM).
hiiiii

Quote originally posted by N!elz:
Okay! Thanks for the answer I'll be using this one in my hack I think!

Oh, and by the way, if I wanted to make it a battle against a ''forced'' shiny, can I use that same "callasm" script but place it in a battle script, or doesn't it work that way? (you don't have to give explanation if you don't feel like it)
Yes, it works exactly the same way, but you'll need a different script, I guess. You'll still be using the same 'callasm' command, though.
Old January 16th, 2012 (12:49 PM).
Beginning Hack-maker

Quote originally posted by dragon456:
Yes, it works exactly the same way, but you'll need a different script, I guess. You'll still be using the same 'callasm' command, though. :)
Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate that! :) I just wrote my first working scripts today! A plain message script, a give Pokémon script and edited a PokéMart script to my needs. And I also want to thank you for being responsible for a part of my understanding for scripting!

Old January 16th, 2012 (02:15 PM).
Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!

Nature: Hardy
This is great!!! I can't wait for the XSE tutorial (because that's the one i use, i no longer use pokesav) Once again this is a great
Old August 6th, 2012 (05:31 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Okay so this is the only way I can force a Pokemon in like another Trainer's party? Like Im making a optional Trainer battle and he has a Celebi that is suppose to be shiny while the other Pokemon are normal. How would I go and just add Celebi into being a shiny?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)