Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
I've avoided it all, including the Opening Ceremony. I got to work and my sister (who I work with) was like, "did you watch the Opening Ceremony?" and I was like "...of what?" I just had no idea.

I've actually barely noticed it's been going on at all. I have been watching other channels and haven't seen or heard a word about it. I saw about 10 seconds of footage of the long jump at a friend's house before we switched over to the Breaking Bad DVD, but that's literally everything I've seen of the Olympics lol.

That and pictures of hot swimmers. You can blame Meganium90 for that one

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:43 PM
s0nido
turn up the engine
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to s0nido
I haven't watched any portion of the 2012 Olympics yet, and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. XD
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
Oh, I'm watching the Olympics as I type this... please don't burn me at the stake. I've never really cared about the Olympics before this year when I decided just to watch it on a whim.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Though I do think baseball should be in the Olympics. We need to prove to the world how awesome we and Japan are at winning at life.
Yes, because the Olympics needs yet another sport for America to dominate in.
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

God, how did we start talking about The Olympics in here too?

Old August 7th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Ugh, I know. Culture tends to die during any Olympics, and I don't want it to happen here as well. Indeed, it's probably time for a title change! :D
Blame Jon, Andy. The harbinger of Olympic evil.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Sure, I'll take credit. I love the Olympics, but am aware of how much of a devastating effect they have on other cultural pursuits (I imagine that without TDKR in the picture, cinema box-office grosses would have taken a sharp nosedive over these past two weeks). But I love the Olympics. With my crappy internet at the moment, they've been the only thing keeping me sane for the past couple of days! :D
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:48 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Yes, because the Olympics needs yet another sport for America JAPAN to dominate in.
Fixed it for you. geez get your cultural facts right. Japanese people work hard at stuff, have good ethic and they play baseball.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old August 7th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Esper

What's with the Olympics dislike? They're very entertaining and very educational.

And really, we don't need to be talking about Kristen Stewart or Kim Kardashian or other tabloid nonsense so any distraction from that stuff for people is good.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
What's with the Olympics dislike? They're very entertaining and very educational.

And really, we don't need to be talking about Kristen Stewart or Kim Kardashian or other tabloid nonsense so any distraction from that stuff for people is good.
I don't dislike the olympics, I'm just not interested :D.
Arrive without traveling
See all without looking
Do all without doing
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Same here. If it's sports I would rather play than watch. Though you can't get me to play sports without forcing me but once I'm there it's totally awesome for me.
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:

Although I enjoy the Olympics, it’s the total dominance of world affairs that begins to frustrate me after a while. I wish I could be one of those people who remains utterly infatuated by every single thing about the Olympics and cannot say a single bad word about it, but alas, I just not that person. But, let it be said that I like the Olympics, even if my interest begins to wane immediately after the Opening Ceremony – which, may I add, I thought was wonderful.
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:

Basically +1 me for Harlequin's reasons, but also it's... athletics. It's boring. And I've always hated the way people lose their **** over sport as though it's the most impressive thing in the world. I'd much rather talk about Kristen Stewart and Kim Kardashian than dull athletes. Though on that note, I don't think we've ever discussed Kristen Stewart, Kim Kardashian or anybody like them in here.

So, 'entertaining' is definitely a matter of opinion and as for educational... well, I haven't watched The Olympics this time around at all, but I can honestly say I've never learned a thing from an Olympic broadcast in my life. It's just... it's watching exercise. People fighting each other to be better at exercise.

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

Quote:
It's just... it's watching exercise. People fighting each other to be better at exercise.
That's...a really odd way to word it. It's competition, people like watching competition (even if it isn't always physical) and supporting whoever they think is the best or someone who in some way represents them. (hence fans of countries) I can understand people not liking sports though, I used to despise them as a kid and even now the only sports I'd consider myself a huge fan of are soccer and basketball. It's just odd to word it as simply "exercise", you're stripping away other factors that go into making sports interesting.

The Olympics, at least in the US, aren't actually all over the place. There's some terrible broadcasting going on in one channel and...well, depending on where you go to for news, it's not the number one topic. If you're going to the TV for news, you do have to understand that they're never going to be covering every important topic, just whatever gets them the best ratings at the time. Real news sources are able to cover a much broader spectrum of topics.
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Ugh entertainment

Being entertained is horrible

Anywho I would much rather listen to music or watch Soul Eater/Haruhi compulsively sort my Pokémon cards (I have issues okay) or be on PC than watching news (on TV at least), the Olympic, or anything movie or media. Though I am addicted to ABC's YouTube channel.
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Ryoutarou you actually gave me another thing - probably the biggest thing - I hate about the Olympics. I honestly can't believe I didn't think to say this before. The patriotism. Ugh I hate patriotism so bad.

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
Ugh entertainment

Being entertained is horrible

Anywho I would much rather listen to music or watch Soul Eater/Haruhi compulsively sort my Pokémon cards (I have issues okay) or be on PC than watching news (on TV at least), the Olympic, or anything movie or media. Though I am addicted to ABC's YouTube channel.
What, Bloodex-Haruhi-san, is your problem with movies?
Old August 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

What? I don't understand.
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Esper

Quote:
What? I don't understand.
He's asking why you don't like movies. Imma guessing because movies are things you have total control over watching (usually) and there are movies for all tastes so usually most people like at least a few movies.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
AotY is finally here.
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mentalii
Back

I finished Clannad earlier. Gosh, that's not really my kind of anime, but that one was pretty good. And sad. I guess it's one of the saddest anime ever.

I think I'm now gonna watch Sword Art Online, this animé seems to have much success. Hope it'll be good.

Old August 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Clannad was cool, I actually rewatched it between last December and March this year. Enjoyed it all over.

I would talk about SOA but I don't want to. I've only read the first volume anyway.
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Well alright then.

This news is a few days old now but I'm gonna just say it anyway:

JOSS WHEDON HAS SIGNED ON FOR THE AVENGERS 2!!!!!

He's going to be writing and directing The Avengers 2, creating a Marvel-themed TV show for ABC, and he's going to have creative input on other Marvel projects. The deal he's inked with Marvel extends to June 2015, but I'm sure he will be entirely successful and it will be extended!

And that, my friends, is how Marvel won the age-old debate of "Marvel vs. DC". Sorry DC, maybe in another lifetime.

Old August 11th, 2012, 06:06 PM
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter

So how was the AOTY?

Also wheres the best place to buy anime/ where do you buy yours?

Also SAO is great.
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

The DC world is still a much, much better brand in comics. :P The only time I ever like Marvel are in occasional movies.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here