The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Luigi-San
Decisions, Decisions...
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Luigi-San Send a message via Skype™ to Luigi-San
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuVrDiSC View Post
im kinda dumb when it comes to the Calculators too i am having a hard time grasping the whole IV thing or the RnG stuffs. i need a tutor lol.
Alternatively, you can find your Pokemon's Hidden Power type by battling a Kecleon (due to its' Color Change ability). Your Pokemon's Hidden Power type will be the type that Kecleon changes into after the turn. Note that if the attack does Super Effective damage, the Hidden Power type is Fighting, and if Kecleon doesn't change types, the Hidden Power type is Ghost (as you can't have a Normal-type Hidden Power).

If you don't have access to a Kecleon, you can also find your Pokemon's Hidden Power type by using it on a sequence of Pokemon types based on the outcome of the attack: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php (under "Manual Calculation")

<--- Level these up!

<--- Join us!
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
MacAndCheese
Beginning Trainer

Hi guys....

Me and my friend are interested in battling and trading, GBA style, but don't know a thing when it comes to cables. Where(Online Please) could I find the best quality cable?
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
Amazon is more reliable than eBay, so I would suggest that.
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM
vinylscratchp0n3
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START

Nature: Adamant
(Repost because never answered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartortle Battalion View Post
Every time I plug in the cartridge, it gets past the gba "ba-ding!" screen, and shows a white screen. It used to work if i warmed the cartridge in my hand a little while, but now it refuses to boot at all. I've cleaned the contacts with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, nothing works. Do I have to get a new one, (won't be much lost, I was only at the fifth gym) or is there some way to fix this?
I've looked it up a bit and it seems like it's a problem commonly had with emulators, but I'm playing on the cartridge.

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:23 AM
SKPTymMisery216
Unhatched Egg

To be exact I'm looking for Official Pokemon Gamer Guides for Ruby & Sapphire Versions and Firered & Leafgreen Versions.

I'd like to be able to purchase them New if at all possible with the risk of damages with Used copies.

Not really a
Pokéquestions but is there a difference between Nintendo Power Official Guides and Prima Publishing Official Guides?

Which one is better if so?

Last edited by SKPTymMisery216; August 5th, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Keegsu
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post

True. I really dunno what to tell you about the battery though. :/ That's a pain that you did go through that trouble and it didn't work. Hopefully someone that understands the batteries better than me will come along and see your question. Also, you might consider asking in the Video Gaming forum. I don't know if there were other GBA games that needed a battery replacement, but chances are, there might be some more people that know about it in that forum. I might be wrong, but it's worth a shot, right? Just to be safe though, when you post, make sure you mention I sent you since I thought you'd have better luck there. It's still video game related so yeah. Hope you can get an answer.

Thanks, I will see what I can find out.
I just want to mention that I am experiencing this exact same issue as bookworm29, having manually replaced the internal battery in my Ruby Version a few days ago. This particular copy of Ruby has been patched for the Berry Glitch via Pokemon Colosseum since before the internal battery ran dry. I haven't found any documentation online what's supposed to happen when you replace the internal battery, but as far as I've observed I've gotten back most of my in-game time-related functionality (mostly tested Shoal Cave) but not berry growing. I'm annoyed by this and trying to figure out whether there's a fix but R/S battery replacements seem to be relatively rare and the aftermath almost completely undocumented.
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Jasmin88

Hello guys can anyone help me i want to know something about STAB. I know how this work but i need to know about holding items and if they increase and by how much they can stack with STAB? Example I have Charizard and i use Flamethrower with him, now because he is Fire Type he gain 50% increase in move power that is basic, so his attack power will be 142. Now what i want to know will Charcoal holding item increase power by 10%. That way his move power will be around 152 that's devastating.

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin88 View Post
Hello guys can anyone help me i want to know something about STAB. I know how this work but i need to know about holding items and if they increase and by how much they can stack with STAB? Example I have Charizard and i use Flamethrower with him, now because he is Fire Type he gain 50% increase in move power that is basic, so his attack power will be 142. Now what i want to know will Charcoal holding item increase power by 10%. That way his move power will be around 152 that's devastating.
Flamethrower will have 156.75 power.

95 x 1.5 x 1.1 = 156.75
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Jasmin88

So basically Charcoal stack with STAB, that's all i wanted to know thanks.

Hello i have a question about Swords Dance and simmilar moves like Agility. When your Pokemon use Swords Dance it said "Scyther's attack sharply rose", but i want to know how much it increased by 1, 2, 4, 8, 10 or something else? Is there any way to know this exactly?

Last edited by Jak; August 8th, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Don't double post, please.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

Sharply indicates that it raises attack by two levels, so you can use it 3 times in a battle before it starts saying "___'s attack won't go any higher!"
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin88 View Post
So basically Charcoal stack with STAB, that's all i wanted to know thanks.

Hello i have a question about Swords Dance and simmilar moves like Agility. When your Pokemon use Swords Dance it said "Scyther's attack sharply rose", but i want to know how much it increased by 1, 2, 4, 8, 10 or something else? Is there any way to know this exactly?
This link explains how stat changing moves work.

Swords Dance will essentially double your attack when first used.
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM
EeveeLover143
Beginning Trainer

Hi, k so i have the national Pokedex on diamond and I've beat the elite four on diamond and sapphire and I've gone to pal park and its still not giving me the option to migrate. Please Help.. !
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I am close to acquiring a copy of Emerald to play on an older DS Lite model that I acquired earlier today; I intend to eventually port my catches in there over to Black, or even White 2 eventually, so that I have a full Pokédex on both games for the purposes of a future Trade Shop (and will someday have my own thread over there for Gen. V games).

My question is not so much about Emerald or Fire Red as it is about something else, however. When I'm done with a Pokémon in these games (or if I decide I do not plan to use it), how do I go about importing them into a fourth generation game? As with Black (where the building to import is on Route 15, closed until after the first E4), do I have to finish one of the fourth gen. games before I can ever import? I know once I finish one of them I can have my other (SS or Platinum) on a second system and swap them over there, but for now my problem will be getting them into the fourth generation. If I need to connect a cable or something, I'll need to get that someday.

For now, I still have to play both SS (or Platinum) and Emerald before I can even think of importing, but this would be useful information.

I may be back in this forum to discuss Emerald more as I start playing it, but I want to start here with this query.

Cyclone

EDIT: I should clarify, I am trying to get them to Black eventually. I determined already that I will require two systems and got the one with GBA capabilities so I can cover all five generations with Emerald and Fire Red. I know you can import to a game on the same system, but I eventually want to move them to Black on the 3DS. Or White 2 once it comes out and I find some missing ones there.

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Last edited by Cyclone; August 8th, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Add.
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
X-Files
Can Yuo Udnertsand

Can someone play FR/LG and migrate me a Squritle with the OT Name K please I have most legends and event pokemon I will trade for it thanks! PM Me~

Spoiler:
One of the best RPGs around come to it for an awesome time
http://orangeislands.net/index/

Lighty the level 55 Pikachu fear us!
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

...Try asking in Trade Corner's Quick Trade Thread. PS: You can get Squirtle in HGSS, so you don't even need FRLG to get one anymore.
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

No one has answered my question above. Is there really no answer to it? I am attempting to determine whether my two systems can communicate with each other (in the same way that two systems with Black and/or White communicate with each other) or whether I will have difficulties getting the Pokémon, which should be able to import to Soul Silver or Platinum, to move back to the first system for import into Black on the 3DS. I now am playing Emerald and am looking to know what I'm doing when the time comes.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old August 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
No one has answered my question above. Is there really no answer to it? I am attempting to determine whether my two systems can communicate with each other (in the same way that two systems with Black and/or White communicate with each other) or whether I will have difficulties getting the Pokémon, which should be able to import to Soul Silver or Platinum, to move back to the first system for import into Black on the 3DS. I now am playing Emerald and am looking to know what I'm doing when the time comes.

Cyclone
Using a DS or DS Lite you can transfer Pokémon from Emerald to 4th gen when you have the National Dex in Emerald and unlocked the Pal Park in 4th gen. You can then use the PokéTransfer to transfer them to 5th gen. You should only need your 3rd gen game, a DS Lite/Phat and another DS.
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Using a DS or DS Lite you can transfer Pokémon from Emerald to 4th gen when you have the National Dex in Emerald and unlocked the Pal Park in 4th gen. You can then use the PokéTransfer to transfer them to 5th gen. You should only need your 3rd gen game, a DS Lite/Phat and another DS.
I have all of those, but my question is will the DS systems be able to communicate with each other without a link cable? I haven't figured out how to set connection settings yet on the original Lite model (I'm very familiar with the 3DS), but at the same time know there is a way to import your Pokémon through menu options on Emerald after beating the game. From the sounds of it, however, not only will I need to unlock the Pal Park (Soul Silver), but I will also have to complete another fourth gen. game (Pearl, Platinum) on the LITE system and unlock the ability to forward Pokémon on THAT game. In other words, I have four games to finish, and so far one is done. (Five if I throw in Fire Red for a few stray missing Pokémon.)

Cyclone

Last edited by Cyclone; August 14th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I have all of those, but my question is will the DS systems be able to communicate with each other without a link cable? I haven't figured out how to set connection settings yet on the original Lite model (I'm very familiar with the 3DS), but at the same time know there is a way to import your Pokémon through menu options on Emerald after beating the game. From the sounds of it, however, not only will I need to unlock the Pal Park (Soul Silver), but I will also have to complete another fourth gen. game (Pearl, Platinum) on the LITE system and unlock the ability to forward Pokémon on THAT game. In other words, I have four games to finish, and so far one is done. (Five if I throw in Fire Red for a few stray missing Pokémon.)

Cyclone
You don't need a link cable, you use the dual slots on the DS Lite for the Pal Park and DS Download for the PokéTransfer.
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:06 PM
LuVrDiSC
pokéGirL Power !

Nature: Modest
is there anyway for Pikachu to learn Nasty Plot in Leaf Green ?

you cant get a Pichu til Gen IV right ?

is there anyway to teach slowpoke / slowbro TM thunder Wave in Gen III ?

thanx any help is much appreciated
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:23 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
is there anyway for Pikachu to learn Nasty Plot in Leaf Green ?

you cant get a Pichu til Gen IV right ?

is there anyway to teach slowpoke / slowbro TM thunder Wave in Gen III ?

thanx any help is much appreciated
Nasty Plot is a Gen IV move and doesn't exist in LeafGreen.

Thunder Wave can be taught at the move tutor in the Silph Co. in FR/LG, in Agate Village in XD and at the Battle Frontier in Emerald.
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM
LuVrDiSC
pokéGirL Power !

tyvm

one more question about move tutor moves & breeding

are move tutor moves passed down in breeding

for example if i teach a boy Snorlax Seismic Toss or Softboiled

will the babys possibly have those moves ? or no
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Xeninacra
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm29 View Post
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place for this, but I Googled and Googled and nothing answered my question! My internal batteries ran dry on Ruby and Sapphire. My boyfriend soldered new ones (with tabs) to the boards for me and the message went away. The games still work, saved files and all. The clock runs when the game is off, I've downloaded the Berry Patch from FireRed (in fact, Ruby said it didn't need it), and my berries still won't grow! They grew well past 100 hours of play before the batteries died, but now they just stay as little lumps in the ground. Any ideas?
You should know that when you use the Berry Patch, you are patching the savegame and not the game (because a ROM cannot be patched), which means that if you have restarted your game after patching "it", you'll have to patch it again to make the berries grow.
Anyway, there was no need to change the battery when it ran dry, just the patch.

Allez, hop!
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
tyvm :)

one more question about move tutor moves & breeding

are move tutor moves passed down in breeding

for example if i teach a boy Snorlax Seismic Toss or Softboiled

will the babys possibly have those moves ? or no
No, the Pokémon's offspring will only have the move if it were already designated as an egg move for it though. Snorlax can't learn Softboiled btw.
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
LuVrDiSC
pokéGirL Power !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
No, the Pokémon's offspring will only have the move if it were already designated as an egg move for it though. Snorlax can't learn Softboiled btw.
tyvm for the fast awnser ! that was just an example..
but i didnt kno that tho.

Snorlax cant even learn it from a Move Tutor ?

i guess i was always under the impression that any Poké could learn any Move from a Tutor
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links