The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:40 PM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
With ourselves now in the Fifth Generation, have you moved on from the Fourth? Have you passed Sinnoh, Johto and Kanto? Are they just too old to be interesting anymore? Will you still continue to play the games? In the near furutre do you think you'll ever pick up a Fourth Generation game again? Or would you more likely to pick up a 1st or 2nd Generation?

Discuss! \o/
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I have totally moved on now, ever since discovering my favoritism towards 5th Generation.

Although I am doing a new run on Platinum, I spend most of my time playing Black version. I guess I've found D/P/Pt and HG/SS too old to enjoy anymore cos I go through that transition when a new generation gets released.

So yeah, I come to the conclusion that I have completely moved on and I am not going back to an older game anytime soon.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:57 PM
ShadowE
Swarm Hosts, abusing dem Swarm Hosts
Community Supporter

I moved partially over, cause my badass team from HG/SS is not completely on my Black and White games... but when that has been done... i moved over, i love the Unova region on all parts.

I might get back to my FireRed game, because i love playing old GBA games and that is the only one i have left xD
Old August 15th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Grif of Hearts
Que sera sera~

Nature: Naive
Sinnoh will never become boring for me. Certainly my favourite main-game region so far.

Although, saying that, GenV has much more interesting gameplay and a far better story, so I'd say that Black and White are ultimately superior games to those in GenIV. It's fairly balanced though, as it is with most of the other Pokemon Generations. While I'll be focusing more on the recent Pokemon games, I am chipping away at a Steel-type monorun on Platinum.
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Perico
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
Am I the only who find the 5th generation the borest? The only thing I'd miss from BW when I play 4th generation games would be the battles, and probably the new Pokémon and graphics. Black and White have a very short story. I think they're by far the fastest games I've ever completed. Some examples: gym leaders are way too easy, HMs are not required to go through the game (excluding Cut which is required in Dreamyard) or Pokémon are no longer affected by poison when they're not in battle. It looks like they've made the game easier (and even more casual) plus the story is the same as usual.

I think 4th generation will never bore me because, on the one hand, I have a new whole story (DPPt), which is not boring to me, and on the other hand, I have some super remakes to play (yeah, HGSS).

And this doesn't mean I don't like BW at all. I just find them boring because you can beat the game within a few hours. So if I had to replay a game from the 4th or BW, (I haven't tried B2W2 yet) it would be a 4th generation game (and it is actually what I am doing XD).

Allez, hop!
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:20 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Why are the top three threads in this section, as of posting, so negative? =p
Quote:
Am I the only who find the 5th generation the borest?
Nope, but that's because which games are the 'best' is a subjective thing. Some like other gens more, etc. (That said it is arguably easier given objective changes such as the removal of poison effects outside battle, higher frequency of people healing your Pokemon mid-route, a gift Lucky Egg and changed exp system favouring those who don't grind that much, etc).

I will say BW adds more things in some aspects, but in the end 4th gen offered more to do post game, and it's the staying factor that makes those more enjoyable to me. BW may have more effort put in the story, but it's also not without flaws. It has better graphics and all, but that's hardly surprising (and frankly Game Freak were obviously proud of it, coughbridgesofcameraanglescough) and I like Pokemon for its gameplay more than the graphics. BW felt too linear for my liking, and I prefer the openend-ness of say Kanto in HGSS and even part of Johto. Others prefer the other way around, and that's cool.

Certainly am considering playing HGSS again in the near future (and previously have been doing monotype challenges), as well as B2W2 when it comes out. Sometime I'd do more chaining in Platinum as well. I like both gens, so in the end I'll keep on playing both.

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
FlutterRaeg
The Cult of Personality

I got Black from eBay a week ago and I still haven't played it other than choosing a starter. I'm currently working on beating HG alongside my friend. He's had better luck with the NPC battles, and me in the battles against each other. That is, until Kanto where I am utterly destroying anything that moves.
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Polizard'12
Pokemon Trader

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Polizard'12
I've made it my goal to own all of the 4th Gen games, which I have achieved, I do plan on playing them, but at the moment I'm busy with studies, the only ones I have played is SoulSilver and Pearl, Its going to take a while to finish the others!
I also have White (Finished Black) so I'll go through the Unova region once more. I just need a second DS so I may trade Pokemon easily...

Black: 1464-1648-3107 (Connor)
SoulSilver: 0562-3433-1970 (Gold)
Pearl: 3482-9492-0865 (Adam)

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I've moved on from Gen IV, but I can't help but go back and replay Platinum and HG when I stop being lazy to do that.

Old August 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Katie the Friendly Ghost
I like rain.

Nature: Adamant
For me anyways, I want to try to get that Shining Charm in BW2, so I'll be revisiting not just the 4th Gen, but even the third to try to complete the Pokedex. But I do love Sinnoh and Johto, the DS games were by far my favorite. They'll never get old<3
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:15 AM
rayan.b
i like cinnamon :)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polizard'12 View Post
I've made it my goal to own all of the 4th Gen games, which I have achieved, I do plan on playing them, but at the moment I'm busy with studies, the only ones I have played is SoulSilver and Pearl, Its going to take a while to finish the others!
I also have White (Finished Black) so I'll go through the Unova region once more. I just need a second DS so I may trade Pokemon easily...
start platinum as soon as possible it was the best for me

i like cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif of Hearts View Post
Sinnoh will never become boring for me. Certainly my favourite main-game region so far.

Although, saying that, GenV has much more interesting gameplay and a far better story, so I'd say that Black and White are ultimately superior games to those in GenIV. It's fairly balanced though, as it is with most of the other Pokemon Generations. While I'll be focusing more on the recent Pokemon games, I am chipping away at a Steel-type monorun on Platinum.
grate minds think alike ;P

Last edited by rayan.b; August 17th, 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Bourne-mouth
Trainer

Nature: Serious
I moved partially. Gen V wasn't much of a favourite for me, so here I am, feasting on the older generation's scraps. I've had a lot more memories with this Generation than the others anyway.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

Soulsilver is still my best game, lots of events, some shinies... I think it has something to do with walking with Pokemon that makes it my favorite. I like Black and White, but not as much as HG/SS.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
i just got pokemon black but its just not the same there was no excitement getting the starters. i'm going to play black more often now since trading is easier but i'll keep the fourth gens around for experiments (tweaking and pokesav at the beginning of the game)

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Gen IV was by farm my favourite generation. It has the best region and pokemon. I'm not going to be done with the fourth generation for a long time.
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:54 AM
soopaord
Togepi

I'm not going to lie, without HGSS, Gen IV would have been lackluster for me. Don't get me wrong, DPPt where great games and I've owned all three copies and have played them throughly, but it never really appealed to me as much as Gen 1 - 3 & 5.
Old September 14th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Apricots
Cream Puff

Nature: Gentle
I haven't really been that big on the new generations in general; the games didn't catch and hold my interest as strongly as the ones before it. I still enjoyed them a lot, though, so I don't think I really "moved on". I definitely like Generation IV a lot more than V.

Heck, I clocked 400 hours in Diamond...

tumblr | deviantart | pixiv | twitter
Old September 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I have found myself trying to move on from Gen IV, and while I don't have any plans of picking up my Platinum for a while, it's my HeartGold that I play more often than White. I'm not sure if it was just some of the little things like having your Pokemon follow you around, the Battle Frontier or even the Pokeathlon that make me go back to it, but unless B2/W2 absolutely blow me away next month, I don't think I'll have moved on from the 4th gen.
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
PikachuGuy
THOSE CHU'Z

Nature: Calm
I play my HG/SS a lot more than I play my White, so I'm still in 4th Gen. I can only EV train on my HG, that's one of the reasons why I don't play White that much. I plan on EVing a team and trading it all to White so I can have a competitive team on there. Plus, I seem to like HG/SS over B/W any day...it just seems more laid back and quiet, plus the lead Pokemon gets to follow you, I really like that as well.
My Trade Review: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=318949
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I'm in limbo, I still play some games in Gen IV but I'm still playing Gen V a little bit, too.

Honestly I won't fully transition to Gen V until they finally come out with a main 3DS game. I'm getting tired of playing my DS games on my 3DS with either crappy resolution full screen or adjusted resolution on like 1/3 the screen. It's bull.-
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Ninjagon
Back from a break.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjagon
SS is probably the game I hunt on the most for my shinies, the last one being Shiny Ho-oh. I also loved HGSS and Platinum, they are some of my favourite games. I probably won't ever move on, at the most, i'll leave my game untouched for 2 years and the find interest in it Gen IV and Gen V are completely different, but in my opinion I like them equally.

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
Old September 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

I don't think Gen IV has had it's time at all. The Sinnoh region was utterly amazing at certainly shouldn't ever be forgotten! I'm not a big fan of Unova so I'm a little biased, but I really think that Gen IV was on the whole much better than Gen V and certainly hasn't "had it's time" :3 As for picking up the older generation games, I'd be unlikely to do that too since the Pokéathlon and the following Pokémon are two things I'd miss far too much! So in summary; Gen IV rules.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
No and never will, I'm staying put. D/P/Pt are amazing games in my opinion. The new Pokemon introduced are wonderful, great designs and best of all unique! Puzzles like Candace's gym to give me a real challenge in the game and proving it wasn't just battling. Characters in this game were some of my favourites - Looker, I love how he's disguised as a boulder in Stark Mt., always found that bit hilarious. Barry as well, best rival ever who was introduced in the 4th Gen.

Then there's HGSS. GAMEFREAK, MOST AMAZING REMAKE EVER :D!!! Although I never played GSC, HGSS was my favourite game. The follow me feature, I adored how my close Pokemon could follow me around. The music was stunning as well, like the Champion and Red's theme along with the Kanto Gym Leader one.

I will not move away from the 4th Generation. It is a great generation and always will be xD.
. :p
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:09 AM
slim spazzy
Best Beta tester

Nature: Hasty
well...... i have not yet........ black and whittes pokemon look horrible ( zekrom is ok)...... it has a very short story line and you cannot rebattle hym leaders and the pokemon do not follow you....... hgss brings back memories....... i wish hgss was made like bw in graphics....

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Are there Oceans in Space?
abc.

I haven't even touched the 5th generation yet, so for now, I'm gonna have to take a break from 4th gen.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here