• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Spriter's Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The dithering is very spot on, especially on the body. The only part that bothers me is that the wings look out of style. Perhaps you add some dithering and more anti-aliasing to those as well, mainly on the ends.

kid1513

~ Pixel Artist
Years
My best sprite among all the sprites I have done so far:
violets_are_blue_by_kid1513-d58nnyw.png

You can check out my Gallery in this [LINK] :D.

Years
First pokemon pixel - critique please ^^

Here's my first attempt at pixel art xD I used photoshop since that's what I'm most familiar with. I looked up theres pixel programs but I don't have those :D

I love to draw so pixel art isn't too hard for me but i'm not that good yet with making round edges and shapes correctly. I feel it's a little off. I want to create a ton of these for my site so I really want to perfect pixeling ^^ If anyone can give me some feedback and critique I'd appreciate it :D

Years
I had to merge your thread with this one because to have your own thread, you require 4 examples of pixel art. This place is if you just want to show a single image you've been working on or have worked on that you're looking for critique.

Furthermore, your sprite is fantastic for a first attempt. As you've said yourself about the outlines, they aren't as round but they are amazingly well done for a first. Also, you don't need pixel art programs to make some great pixel art. I, myself use Photoshop as well for pixel art, so don't worry about those programs. Use what you're comfortable with. :D

There's probably more that can be said about the sprite, but I'll leave that to the community! I hope to see more from you. :)
Don't forget to read the pixel art rules.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
First scratch attempts at spriting... I tried :S

FYI I know the Pokemon concepts suck and are unoriginal, this was just practice for sprites in general. Feedback is appreciated so all the problems I missed can be pointed out.

23a261ed8541506e3a5ebedd4849df36-d5an3ps.png
437cd3733be9b3223da2f979e905216b-d5ang8p.png
dbb54817ffeebcf5a42499068a41d61d-d5apxb3.png

Years
I had to merge your thread with this one because to have your own thread, you require 4 examples of pixel art. This place is if you just want to show a single image you've been working on or have worked on that you're looking for critique.

Furthermore, your sprite is fantastic for a first attempt. As you've said yourself about the outlines, they aren't as round but they are amazingly well done for a first. Also, you don't need pixel art programs to make some great pixel art. I, myself use Photoshop as well for pixel art, so don't worry about those programs. Use what you're comfortable with. :D

There's probably more that can be said about the sprite, but I'll leave that to the community! I hope to see more from you. :)
Don't forget to read the pixel art rules.

Oh, thanks! I'm a bit new to forums, I'll make sure to check the rules :) And thanks for the feedback! I'll try to post a series of them later ^^

Pinta77

Not the best in the world, and some are better then others. What do ya think? I guess these would be considered splices or something.

@Snowdrop
Not that I'm any expert spriter, but they're pretty good. Coloring, shape etc. is good. But they look a bit flat and boxy.

Last edited:

Varin

Storm'd at with shot and shell
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 24, 2013
4BqPj.png
Spr_3r_338.png

A Lunatone/Solrock pre-evo concept.

PzRs2.png
Spr_3r_227.png

A Skarmory pre-evo concept.

IsUfD.png

A tree intended for a ROM hack I'd one day like to attempt to make.

Any thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Years
Hey y'all! I'm extremely new to pixel art! If you could please take a look at it that would be amazing! The first image is the trainer sprite and the second image is the character that I did a sprite of c: Please I would love to hear your thoughts/critiques/advice!

Pinta77

@Varin - awesome tree! Your pre-evos look cool too :)

@Alluararenee - it looks like you're off to a good start :) in my opinion, thats a pretty good sprite.

Drimza

Open up your senses.
Years
Here is a sprite I finished a couple of days ago and I would like some feedback on it. I think it's really good comparing to the other sprites I have made before.

Poino.png

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
Tao Kyurem: The Tao Trio finally reunites!

Reshiram and Zekrom are said to represent the different sides of the Yin Yang, and Kyurem is said to represent emptiness..cold...
The cold hatred that was left when the twin brothers separated the single dragon that once represented unity.

But, now that dragon has returned!

As Tao Kyurem:

144tjq.jpg

Yes, I know, a lot of people probably have done this already, and I also know that it's not the best. But I wanted to show it to the PokeCommunity so that I can hear some thoughts! Heck, maybe it'll inspire a better artist to make a Tao Kyurem themselves;

The dragon will return to its true glory!

Trivia:
About 80% custom
I made the head, the tail, the arms, and I heavily edited the torso of Zekrom, and added the legs of White Kyurem.
This is the first sprite I've actually put a lot of effort in, and I'm quite proud of it :D
I know it can use some improvement, though, anyone care to point something out?

Last edited:

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
Sprite threads requires a minimum of 4 sprites (preferably scratch). I moved it on over to the showcase to prevent clutter.

Sorry! I didn't notice the Spriter's Showcase thread last night, it was really late and I was a bit tired! Sorry again for making you move this thing!

Years
Reshiram and Zekrom are said to represent the different sides of the Yin Yang, and Kyurem is said to represent emptiness..cold...
The cold hatred that was left when the twin brothers separated the single dragon that once represented unity.

But, now that dragon has returned!

As Tao Kyurem:

144tjq.jpg

Yes, I know, a lot of people probably have done this already, and I also know that it's not the best. But I wanted to show it to the PokeCommunity so that I can hear some thoughts! Heck, maybe it'll inspire a better artist to make a Tao Kyurem themselves;

The dragon will return to its true glory!

Trivia:
About 80% custom
I made the head, the tail, the arms, and I heavily edited the torso of Zekrom, and added the legs of White Kyurem.
This is the first sprite I've actually put a lot of effort in, and I'm quite proud of it :D
I know it can use some improvement, though, anyone care to point something out?

I REALLY like this redesign of Kyurem.. it just makes so much more sense to me. I mean, the normal Kyurem is just ugly and looks like it has nothing to do with taoism. I love this! It was also very well done, perfect even. (:

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
I REALLY like this redesign of Kyurem.. it just makes so much more sense to me. I mean, the normal Kyurem is just ugly and looks like it has nothing to do with taoism. I love this! It was also very well done, perfect even. (:

I'm glad you like it! and it's not exactly a re-design of Kyurem; it's the restoration of the original dragon before it separated into Reshiram and Zekrom.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
So yeah, I've been trying to get back into spriting. I made some monkey-based Fakemon, whch are probably gonna be compared to the Unovian monkeys (especially the evolution.) XD Oh well. ^^

Bronkey
qzm06d.png

Type: Grass
'Bronkey's hang onto branches high up in trees. They rely on Moncree's to bring them food.'

Moncree
kex5bp.png

Type: Grass/Fighting
'Despite not appearing tough at first, it has enough power in its tail to swing a large tree trunk around.'

Years
Bronkey
qzm06d.png

Moncree
kex5bp.png

Oh, monkeys! They look cute, but not completely like monkeys. I think because of the body of Bronkey, I think it looks less like a monkey. Maybe it's just me. XD

So, lets see what I can get out of not working on pixel art in forever!
So, I'd like to start off with that they're nice sprites, I like the fact it looks somewhat the style of Pokemon sprites in the third generation games. I always liked that style of shading for the sprites. I hope that's what you were aiming for! I think the sprite would have been posed differently, shaded and outlined differently if it was meant to be a sprite style of that of the fourth and fifth generation of Pokemon sprites.

I'd have to say, though, there's some unnecessary shading and a great use of dithering. When I mean "great use", I just mean a lot of use of the shading style. It looks nice until it's over done. Unfortunately, I think Bronkey's sprites has too much dithering. That, and the values for the shades and colors look really weird together. The shading on its stomach, tail-leaf and face doesn't look like they're shaded from the same lightsource. The shading on the stomach, I think, is not needed. It looks out of place, I'd advise to not shade so much on it's stomach.

The value of the colors you used to shade around the ears looks funky. I can't see the grey ish peach color as much due to the dark lime green color beside it.

I think Bronkey's body shape is really circular. o..o Is it meant to be like that? It doesn't look like it has much of a neck.

Now, onto Moncree. I think this has a much better body shape than Bronkey. I want to say, before going onto shading and such - I think that purple color for the shiny sprite isn't such a good idea. It's probably the same value as the brown shading, so it's kind of hard to see it. Actually, taking a look into the color and shadings, I think in both sprites, the shading colors are the same values so it's really hard to see the colors on the knees, for example. Both of the shadings for green and the peachy yellow(?) have the same values, so it's kind of hard to seem them clash together like that. x..x

For shading, I think the shading under the leaves (under or on the neck) is not necessary, due to its shading and light source. Also, I think the brown outline against the leaves (I think) on its neck should be darker. Hmm, judging by the face and body shading, I would have less of the lime green shading color on the knees. The shading on the knees make it look as if the light is coming from above it.

Uh, that was a lot more than I wanted to write, but I hope this helped you out! Sorry I wrote a lot! =x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back