• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I personally can't stand Liepard. I kept him around because he was a minority Pokemon for quite some time. I ditched it when Simisage learned Bite. It has been good enough for me thus far. I've had a much easier time having Simisage around and besides, I've always been partial to the monkeys...possibly because of the flying purple ones living in my head!
AND THEN...
EXCADRILL

Seriously, you're going to have the day where Simisage is ditched in the PC for eternity. Many stronger Grass types exist, and not much overall is weaker than the Monkeys. I forgot about the Route 8 battle with Bianca, but got the right one out against Cheren on Route 10 and it got crushed. I tried it out against some Audinos and slammed it back in the box before I was done because I wasn't impressed with its attacking power. Maybe they just were given poor attack pools and would be better if they got something powerful in there, but as designed, they are weak.

I'll figure out some powerful TMs they can learn once I get them over Lv.55, as I'm currently training them (up to Lv.53; it's easy when all but a couple of Audinos use Heal Pulse every other turn) and can try them out in battles with their more powerful moves, and they might deserve a second chance to see if they can earn their victories.

Cyclone

Jiggly Jello

DJ Squiggles
Years
Excadrill....

I never had a problem with a battle until I hit Clay's gym and that freaking thing! I managed to one shot every one of his Pokemon until he threw that out there. I lost 4/6 Pokemon before I finally beat it!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Excadrill....

I never had a problem with a battle until I hit Clay's gym and that freaking thing! I managed to one shot every one of his Pokemon until he threw that out there. I lost 4/6 Pokemon before I finally beat it!
This is exactly why Excadrill will never make the list of "Most Disappointing Pokémon From The Fifth Generation". It's one of the most bad-ass Pokémon out there, and its attack power when it gets to higher levels literally crushes opponents. My first trip upstairs in the Battle House in Opelucid featured him in my trio, already at Lv.41; all you have to do is spam Earthquake thrice (in a Rotation Battle, while in Triple Battle you would KO your teammates) and the battle is over. It will become one of the top Pokémon in my PC, personally.

I'll VM you with advice on catching one if you're interested.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
This is exactly why Excadrill will never make the list of "Most Disappointing Pokémon From The Fifth Generation". It's one of the most bad-ass Pokémon out there, and its attack power when it gets to higher levels literally crushes opponents. My first trip upstairs in the Battle House in Opelucid featured him in my trio, already at Lv.41; all you have to do is spam Earthquake thrice (in a Rotation Battle, while in Triple Battle you would KO your teammates) and the battle is over. It will become one of the top Pokémon in my PC, personally.

I'll VM you with advice on catching one if you're interested.

Cyclone

I don't remember if I posted it in this one or another like it, but Excadrill was posted here XD

The one I had failed horribly. It died really easily against most Pokemon that it really shouldn't have. Its best used in metagame where you can take advantage of its abilities, otherwise it was horrible for me to use and I ended up ditching it before I got to Brycen.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I don't remember if I posted it in this one or another like it, but Excadrill was posted here XD

The one I had failed horribly. It died really easily against most Pokemon that it really shouldn't have. Its best used in metagame where you can take advantage of its abilities, otherwise it was horrible for me to use and I ended up ditching it before I got to Brycen.
You must have ended up with a relatively weaker one. I've never had a problem with mine. That and a Zoroark are among my strongest Pokémon. It's amazing how two people can have completely different experiences with the same Pokémon.

One thing I note is that Drilbur evolves shortly before Brycen's level (at earliest Lv.31) but, if evolving is held off, can learn Earthquake at Lv.33. That combined with a combination of moves that can wipe out a variety of types makes it efficient as a regular team member now, but not as much in the maingame where I agree I didn't have an easy time using it. Only after it became Excadrill did it look bad-ass and start getting strong.

Cyclone

rubin

czytała Krystyna Czubówna
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
Hey, Simisage isn't that bad. The only bad period it has is the one between Vine Whip and Seed Bomb (13-22?) - I agree that at that point, training Pansage is an absolute pain. But once it learns Seed Bomb, it only gets easier from there - you get Dig, then Acrobatics, then Rock Slide... and many more. I evolved my Pansage right after it got Acrobatics, and even though it had a horrible nature (Bold) it kept being a major powerhouse right until the very end of the game. (final set Seed Bomb / Acrobatics / Rock Slide / Shadow Claw)

Now, if we're talking about bad Grass types in BW(2), look no further than Cottonee and Snivy, aka "I can't damage things to save my life".

Last edited:

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
For me, it had to be Hydreigon.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad Pokemon in any respect. It's just, the type combo and the height of it's evolution levels.. I expected it to be more then what it can do.

Its not really a bad pokemon, it can be a good mixed sweeper with the right training.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Snivy. Most horrible out of the five grass starters ever used. (Yes it has a nice DW ability for competitive but im talking bout ingame here.)

Felt a wasted potential too since from its design it can be easily turned into Grass/Dragon for the final form. Damn GF.

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
My most disappointing pokemon was my Zebstrika. He had good attack, but no good moves to back it up.

Sirfetch’d

For me it is Carracosta. Not that it isn't strong or anything but water/rock fossils are tiring to me. And on top of that its cousin archeops has a much higher base stat total. Just seems like it got screwed.

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
Probably, the most disappointing to me is Snivy (and its evolutions). Snivy is my favourite starter, because it's cool and I like it... but when it comes to battles... I used him till I completed the Pokémon League but I finally had to leave him.
I'm sorry Snivy, I still like you, but I can't carry you with me.

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
Swoobat. It was good after it evolved, but mine didnt evolve until level 30. It wasnt that useful

Years
My most disappointing pokemon was my Zebstrika. He had good attack, but no good moves to back it up.

I agree with you, although I beat Elesa with one I eventually ditched mine in favor of stronger Pokemon. And it doesn't have much in the way of physical Electric attacks other than Spark and Wild Charge which is disappointing.

Swoobat. It was good after it evolved, but mine didnt evolve until level 30. It wasnt that useful

Yeah, mine took that long to evolve as well. Even though I got a Special Attack boosting nature on mine, raising his happiness took an eternity for me. Not to mention it's the worst of the Psychic-type options in the game.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
I would have to say liepard, The sad thing was that I thought it my Purloin would be better when I evolved but the move set just didn't work out for me.

Years
I would have to say liepard, The sad thing was that I thought it my Purloin would be better when I evolved but the move set just didn't work out for me.

Yeah, I trained one myself and it was not fun at all. It kept falling so easily, its movepool is terrible and all its stats other than Speed are bad. It takes way too long to learn Night Slash and the one I trained was Hasty, which made him even more frail.

It's like one of those Pokemon whose stat distribution is leaning towards only one stat, which is a bad sign that it's terrible.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Someone over at the team thread has indicated Purrloin will be on the final team. I don't mean this to come across as a gambling wager, but I'd put money down on whether Purrloin serves an integral part of the final team. There are a couple of TMs that give a STAB for it, but Liepard does not stand up to Zoroark despite being the same type.

Cyclone

rubin

czytała Krystyna Czubówna
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
Yeah, Poorloin is pretty bad. Liepard's 88 Base Attack is loltastingly bad late game, and it's level-up is pathetic.

Plus there are so many better Dark types in this game (Scrafty, Krookodile, Zoroark) that I can't see why anyone would want to use Liepard (unless it's his/her favourite Pokemon or whatever).

Years
Pansear I received before the first gym champion was really too bad.

With him, I couldn't OS a grass or bug type 6-7 levels lower than pansear (I precise the pokemon hold a coal to boost his fire attack). Pansear need 3 or more attack to beat his opponent.

I catched another one in the mooving grass and it's the same... he's not really strong. I am sad with this pokemon.

Finally, I think elementary monkeys are not for me.

I look forward to meet another Fire pokemon.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Pansear I received before the first gym champion was really too bad.

With him, I couldn't OS a grass or bug type 6-7 levels lower than pansear (I precise the pokemon hold a coal to boost his fire attack). Pansear need 3 or more attack to beat his opponent.

I catched another one in the mooving grass and it's the same... he's not really strong. I am sad with this pokemon.

Finally, I think elementary monkeys are not for me.

I look forward to meet another Fire pokemon.
I have a couple of Tepig Eggs up for grabs.

Just sayin'. ;)

If that interests you, VM me. I agree that Pansear is the worst however of all Fire types.

Cyclone

Years
I have a couple of Tepig Eggs up for grabs.

Just sayin'. ;)

If that interests you, VM me. I agree that Pansear is the worst however of all Fire types.

Cyclone

Hi Cyclone,

Thanks for your interesting offer, but I can't access to the internet with my DSi or my DSLite for the moment. My Internet Provider has changed our box and this new don't support the WEP key protection. And my sister is going to the see with it's 3DS. So, I don't connect for exchange.

I must waiting for an updating software for my box.

I have no great pokemon to exchange with you (I don't say that to hold my precious pokemon, It's true. I have on pc's box a Patrat level 4, a Lillipup level 4 and an another Sawk level 17). Ah yes, I have 2 pansear... ^^.

I didn't catch too many pokemon in this party. Because I am focus on training the four pokemon I have in my team.

About Pansear, I don't play since long time but I think as you said he is the worst fire pokemon I met in Black, HG/SS. (I didn't play to the previous games).

But thank you so much

Back