The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
OH! that sounds amazing, side quests are always awesome, and it makes sense in your game! I really like all of your side quests!
I think its kinda cool how its all there, but you aren't forcing them to complete them. I cant wait to see what happens! good luck!

and I wouldnt mind working on those two sprites anything to procrastinate! :3
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:51 PM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Thank you a lot, man! First for the sprites, and for your feedback. It really motivates me to work on my game harder and faster !

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Saving Raven

I told my cousin about the idea of your game and he is adamant that the game should be you playing as "the metal" and the gym leaders are other music genres and you cannot be defeated. Regardless, I like your game an hope it turns out fantastic! and I'll get back to you either later tonight, or sometime tomorrow with the sprites!
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Catman
Fast man

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningAlex View Post
What is this, that stands before me? Big black shape with eyes of fire... is this the end, my friend?
Epic references, epic references everywhere!
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:46 AM
LightningAlex

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
JB, I added your name to the credits. You really helped me a lot, it usually takes me a while to edit an existing sprite. Again, thank you for that!
As for your cousins idea, it could be made into another game, but for this one, I'm just trying to make a game based on rock & metal, by cramming a lot of references (Obvious and not-so-obvious ones) into the game, with awesome soundtrack playing while battling the gym leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mCatman View Post
Epic references, epic references everywhere!
Well of course, how could I make a Metal-based game without referencing that xD

I was thinking of creating songs in the styles of all the musicians I'm referencing, and putting them as battle soundtracks. So far, I have several instrumentals in the style of Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Vivian Campbell (Original guitarist of Dio who played his most popular songs) & others, but my equipment is so bad that I can't record them just yet xD I'll probably get a new guitar in the near future, making it possible for me to do it... I was just wondering if you guys think this is a good idea or not?

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
LightningAlex

UPDATE!
- 270 maps.
- 5 gyms complete!
- Introduced a new sidequest!
- I need to create only 2 more routes and 2 more cities to complete the whole world!
- More screenshots (WARNING: Some maps were so big that I had to view them at 1/4th of their size, so I resized them a bit in Paint.NET, so they look blurry. It's not like that in-game!)
- Updated the old sprites of gym leaders, with a huge help of Secret Raven!
- Updated the "Characters" section (Check it out, it's got all of the completed gym leaders, and the new rival!)

Okay, so first of all, in the new screenshots I've uploaded pictures of 3 cities. This is so that you can see that there are all kinds of cities in this game (Special, classical or modern).
Second, I decided to reveal how most of the cities got names - some of them are obvious, some aren't.
Spoiler:

Rainbow - Rainbow is a band formed by Ritchie Blackmore & Ronnie James Dio. One of my favorite bands.
Kashmir - Kashmir is a song by Led Zeppelin.
Thrill City - It's the home of gym leader Angus, who's based on Angus Young from AC/DC. Shoot to Thrill is a song by AC/DC.
Renota City - Home to gym leader David, who's based on David Coverdale from Whitesnake. David Coverdale currently resides in Reno, Nevada, near Lake Tahoe.
Orion City - Home to gym leader James, who's based on James Hetfield from Metallica. Metallica has a song called Orion.
Worksop City - Home to gym leader Bruce, based on Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden. He was born in a town called Worksop.

So, I added a new sidequest. A group of people called "The Stargazers". Many, many secrets are hidden within this one! More information... later

Old August 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Saving Raven

to say it first, I love the new update, it sounds like a demo is coming! :3
anyway. . .

workshop city: a few "open areas" will they have any something there? if not it looks empty

route 8: above the 2 trees in the bottom left corner, right before the break between land and water, there is no land "edge"

renota city: the corner of the water on the land is white, it should be on the second layer, and be invisible

purlamp town: LOL I have a village just like that xDDD but mine is more primative, maybe they're distant cousins, all kidding aside, I feel the gym should ALSO be jungle like, if you want I'll make you a custom forest-gym tile :3

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old August 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
LightningAlex

Worksop City - Most of the green areas around the actual city won't be visible in-game. As for the city itself, I've intended to add a few more random houses or something else. I know the right part of the city is empty, but I haven't sat down to fix it yet xD

As for the water tiles, I've been placing them wrong in more than half maps xD Once I noticed, I started fixing them all - must've forgotten some. Thanks for the notices.

As for Purlamp Town, lol such a coincidence that we both have similar villages xD But in my case, Purlamp isn't really that primitive - there's still electricity in the houses, and I'd just prefer the gym like this.

Also, there's been a demo up for download for a long while now, but it's really outdated now. I'll update it tomorrow.

Old August 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Worksop City - Most of the green areas around the actual city won't be visible in-game. As for the city itself, I've intended to add a few more random houses or something else. I know the right part of the city is empty, but I haven't sat down to fix it yet xD
I was referring to the inside of the city (more accurately the corners on the right side )

Quote:
As for the water tiles, I've been placing them wrong in more than half maps xD Once I noticed, I started fixing them all - must've forgotten some. Thanks for the notices.
No problem, I just wanted you to know, incase you overlooked it, its understandable as its so minor xDD

Quote:
As for Purlamp Town, lol such a coincidence that we both have similar villages xD But in my case, Purlamp isn't really that primitive - there's still electricity in the houses, and I'd just prefer the gym like this.
lol, I never saw a tree house with wifi and tv xDDD sounds awesome, and no problem

Quote:
Also, there's been a demo up for download for a long while now, but it's really outdated now. I'll update it tomorrow.
I'll have to look into this O.O

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old August 25th, 2012, 02:13 PM
LightningAlex

Well, I know it seems nonsensical that there is electricity and technology in Purlamp, but that's because the town itself isn't primitive, but it is built to look like "one with the nature". Without electricity, the Pokemon Center wouldn't work.

Also, the demo is up-to-date with all 5 gym leaders in it. However, Route 16 doesn't have any trainers yet (Working on that), some trainers haven't been tested, so an unexpected error can show up.
If anyone is willing to test the game, let me know, so I can create an event that'll give you strong Pokemon on the beginning, so you can go through the game without any troubles.

Here's some new information about the new sidequest, "The Stargazers":
Spoiler:

The Aehnka
2000 years ago, a part of Arala was inhabited by an ancient civilization called Aehnka. The Aehnka had a lot of knowledge in architecture, medicine, art, technology & mathematics, but, unfortunately, they weren't good trainers. They used Pokemon for work, kept them as pets, but never battled with them.
Fall of the Aehnka
The Aehnka lived in an area near today's Mt. Steen, in the great ancient city Naboru. The area itself had a lot of natural resources, so it was a good target for other civilizations. Soon enough, a group of people attacked Naboru, and a war began. The attackers, whose leader was known only by his title "Stormbringer", had something the Aehnka didn't have - Pokemon. Sure enough, the attackers won and took over Naboru and renamed it "Pokepolis" (I was gonna go with "Pokemopolis, but then I found out that there's something like that in the anime). However, Pokepolis didn't last long, either. The entire city disappeared, for a yet unknown reason.

That is the known part of history. Now for the unknown.

After the attackers, led by the Stormbringer, took over Naboru, women and children of the Aehnka were turned into normal citizens of Pokepolis, but the men were turned into slaves. They were forced to build a tower, made entirely of stone, that will show how great the Stormbringer is. He wanted to "reach the sky" with that tower. Day in, day out, the slaves worked on that tower, unable to fight back. All they could do is work over day, and gaze at the stars over night, thinking about the non-existing freedom. It is then that they changed their name from the Aehnka to the Stargazers.

So what has all of this got to do with today? This is all ancient, long forgotten history. Or is it? The Stargazers never completely vanished from the face of Earth - there are still some of them left today. There is one single difference now - they're all great trainers. And every one of them knows what happened to their ancestors. But that's not all. The Stormbringer himself is long gone, of course, but he has a heir, who is a very well-known person. This basically means that the war between the Stormbringer and the Aehnka (Stargazers) never finished. What will happen? Will you get involved? Which side will you choose?

So, what do you think? I don't think I was able to properly put the story into words, but I think this gives you a decent idea of what I'm talking about. I doubt anyone will really like it, but adding it won't make any huge difference to the gameplay, since almost no information will be revealed about this sidequest during the main game.

Old August 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
LightningAlex

I'm posting to inform you guys that I'll have to slow down the making of this game, mainly because a lack of sprites. Also, college is starting soon xD
Anyway, I've almost finished Paradise City (The only things left to finish in it are the power plant, daycare, and a random house). It's a big city, maybe even bigger than Worksop City (Screenshots below).

So, here's a list of sprites I need:
Spoiler:
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath guitarist)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest singer)
Dio (Vocalist of Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio and Heaven & Hell)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica guitarist)
Janick Gers (Iron Maiden guitarist)
Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath & Ozzy Osbourne vocalist)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen guitarist)

Of course, I don't need all of them now, but I need some in order to continue making my game xD Since I'm working on them myself, and I'm terrible at drawing, it'll take a while until I finish them (This includes the overworld sprites, too) xD
At least I'll soon finish the 6th gym, and then I can post a decent update.

Paradise City:
Spoiler:

See the yellow building on the right? I've built all 5 floors + ground floor for it xD

Old August 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
MegaSceptile1
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Lonely
This is looking like a good game
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM
LightningAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSceptile1 View Post
This is looking like a good game
Thank you, that's really great to hear

So I've finally posted a new update. The 6th gym is done! The gym leader is based on Rob Halford, vocalist for Judas Priest. Rob trains Psychic Pokemon. I originally intended him to have more types, not just one. The reason behind this is to make his team "colorful", like a rainbow, because Rob Halford is gay... but I gave up on it, since it's tradition for gym leaders to train only one type of Pokemon. So I came up with a stupid reason to have him train Psychic Pokemon.

Anyway, here's a little spoiler about the power plant:
Spoiler:
Once you reach the entrance to Paradise City, it's blocked by police officers. When you talk to them, they tell you that there's "something wrong" in the power plant that could endanger people, so the whole city's evacuated. Later (When you have 5 badges), the city is unblocked, and a few NPCs will tell you that the power plant workers fixed whatever was wrong. However, when you go to a power plant, you meet a guy named Tony, who tells you that something is suspicious here, and he wants to investigate it.

The power plant is really old. It was created in the year 1850 - humans didn't know a lot about electricity, but they were able to exploit the power from electric Pokemon. But now, there are machines and technology to create electricity, so there's no need for Pokemon anymore. However, when the power plant was originally built, a big part of it was dedicated for Pokemon only. That part of the power plant is there even today, and wild electric Pokemon live there.

In the power plant, you find out that the reason for evacuation was an unknown emission of radiation. The workers feared it could damage their machines and cause explosions, endangering the entire city. But the emission stopped. They said that none of their equipment caused it, so the cause must be somewhere in the Pokemon part of the power plant.

In the Pokemon part, you find some machines, despite the workers telling you there are none. It turns out that all of those machines were used for a "simple" riddle, that, when you solve it, opens up a secret passage. Of course, it might be simple today, but back in 1850, it sure was complicated and required a lot of equipment and space.

The secret passage leads to a room, with a computer in it. Tony says that the computer seems too modern to be from 1850, and that it's probably today's technology. On the computer, there's an option that says "Start emission", meaning that it was a cause of the radiation. There's also a diary-like document, from which you find out that a person with the code name "Stargazer" caused all of this. The reason is to attract wild,powerful electric Pokemon. Below that it says "Rotom has showed up". Sure enough, Rotom can be found in the power plant, but the person with the code name is nowhere to be found. All you know is that someone codenamed "Stargazer" intended to catch powerful electric Pokemon.

The riddle to open the secret passage is explained in this next spoiler. Yes, it's a spoiler within a spoiler, spoilception xD
Spoiler:
The riddle itself is a bit complicated. You can find 8 computers (In 8 different rooms), that ask you "How much do you want to add?". All you have to do is add numbers from all the computers, until the total is the number that triggers the opening of the secret passage. That number is 1850, the year the power plant was built. Every computer gives you the option to add 50, 100, 150 or 300.

So, the maps for the power plant didn't turn out exactly as I pictured them (They suck xD ), but it's not a big problem. The big problem are sprites for Tony and Rob (In-battle and overworld sprites). The ones I have were drawn by myself, and I'm the worst artist anyone knows xD If anyone reading this is willing to make them for me, I'd be really thankful xD

Old September 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
LightningAlex

Okay, so here's another update. Seven gyms are completed, the overworld is completed, the only maps I need to create now are another mountain, the island where the League is and the airport. I'll probably finish the eight gym tomorrow, and then create these maps. It shouldn't take too long.

I've updated the download link. Now the demo contains all 7 gyms.

So... the island where the Pokemon League is located... I want a maze before the League, like the Victory Road. However, I'm not sure if it should be a cave, or maybe some outside maze, like a forest, jungle, or something like that. What would you like to see? I need your ideas!

Also, I've decided to change one of the E4. I wanted the first member to be based on M. Shadows, the lead singer for the band Avenged Sevenfold (Whose real name is Matthew), but now I've changed my mind. I could base the first E4 member on any musician I want, but I'm not gonna do that - I want to base him on a musician you want! Create an E4 member, based on a rock/metal musician. If I like it, I'll put him in the game.

Old November 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
AChipOffTheOldBrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nature: Naughty
Sounds cool, I just downloaded it. Cant wait to give it a play.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM
LightningAlex

Hey, thank you for the reply, and for testing the game :D I'm afraid that I haven't been working on it at all in the past 2 months... But that's because college started again, and I'm overloaded with other stuff. I'm sure I'll continue it during winter break, and maybe even finish it then.

Old December 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM
FiyahKitteh
Bubbly Fiyah kitteh

Nature: Quiet
SHUP AND TAKE MY MONE--Oh. It's not done yet? Okay. °a

Haha, seriously though: Major, MAJOR props to you for including a lot of metal- and rock references! That's right up my alley, for I am the Dork of Mullet Rock and all. xD

I see you already included a Led Zeppelin reference there, which makes me happy in my...well, everywhere. =DDD

So far, I like the sound of it and I really dig the custom sprites, that look exactly like the person they're named after (Jimi, anyone? ;D).

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this! <3

As for more references...well, you obviously covered Led Zep. I don't know if you covered the classics such as Queen; Foreigner; Bad Company and all the others, but hey, there you go.
Welp, now I am excited. Thank you! xD
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:13 AM
LightningAlex

Oh hey, thank you for your post I'm really glad that you like my idea! I don't think that'll be the last Led Zeppelin reference... maybe I plan to use their most famous song, too
I don't think I did any Queen or others that you named, but I've still got a long way to go until I finish the game It's just that I have been really, really busy the last couple of months...
However, after the 18th, I'll have an at least 20 days break, so that might be a good time to make some progress in the game :D

Wow, I'm really sorry it took me a month to reply...

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
TotalCabbage
Unhatched Egg

Hi. If you don't mind, do you think you could post the police officer sprite?

P.S. Great Idea Btw
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:53 AM
LightningAlex

The... police officer sprite? Here you go:

Old October 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Bidoof Overlord
All hail Raticate

Nature: Serious
This is what I have been waiting for. A combination of metal... and Pokemon. Thank you Lightning Alex. However, have you put in Buckethead?

Come at me bro.
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Fading Tree
SRK

Nature: Docile
Rapidfile doesn't work :/
PokeMetal. I totes want to play this game!!!!

Upgrading Pokemon
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath guitarist)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest singer)
Dio (Vocalist of Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio and Heaven & Hell)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica guitarist)
Janick Gers (Iron Maiden guitarist)
Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath & Ozzy Osbourne vocalist)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen guitarist)
Do you still need these?
I can try to make overworlds for them?

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Oi, no necroposting.

Closed.

Sponsored Links