The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge

Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Old August 23rd, 2012 (10:36 AM).
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow View Post
@Hovde: I'm afraid not, but only because of the 'legendary' part. It's my personal experience that most roleplayers do not enjoy the presence of legendaries in an RP, and so I have no intention of introducing them.
From what I've seen, it's not so much legendaries themselves that people don't like, it's the allowance of legendary PCs; reason being that it leads to power imbalance, canonical and biological discrepancies, and just plain chaos. I, personally, would endorse legendary NPCs being bosses.

Then again, I do see where the trouble comes in, what with you being able to take other PokeSpirits and all, then PCs would indeed become legendary and overpowered. Not to mention that some players may overpower themselves and make beat the legendaries that, in reality, they shouldn't be able to due to the difference in power between a normal pokemon and a legendary (which is quite staggering). It would be near impossible, if not impossible, to beat a legendary, so having one as a boss would be a ironic.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (11:24 AM).
<Challenger>
Stay Dandy, baby.

Nature: Jolly
Alright.I'll fix it. No problem. I'll also get my opening post.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (11:26 AM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
@Machomuu: This isn't the anime. Legendaries are not godmodders. They're X level and weak to fighting type moves. Or whatever. They are only marginally stronger than their equivalent non-legendaries, generally.

Regardless, I guess if more people agreed I could consider it. I definitely feel uneasy about it though.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (11:47 AM).
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
I'm honestly not up for it; the fact that Arceus is the one who removed the Pokémon from the planet in the first place, wouldn't he just as easily be able to take the spirits back, too, let alone GIVE that power to any other potential bosses like Dialga, Palkia and Giratina? Giving the power to those three even makes sense, since they could remove Pokémon spirits to their own dimensions.

That said, I doubt any NPC bosses would be willing to allow any kid that challenges them to keep their Pokéspirit if they lose (and some may not even let the kid live depending on their degree of malevolence). Since the acquisition of Pokéspirits was fairly recent, no kid should be legitimately strong enough yet in the first place (Nicholas, too, since his power was shown by Hyper Beaming a city of arguably defenseless adults), so what's the point?

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (12:00 PM).
Kezius
Mime Jr.

Yeah, I'm with Torn here, Arceus allowing Legendaries back as pokespirits just doesn't feel like it works right. I mean if he was going to give up that kind of power the kid would have to have gone above and beyond to show how innocent their intentions were, right? And if a kid like that was to get that sort of power it would be easy to walk over them, in my mind that is.

Then we have the image of a character with genocidal preferences such as Ignis or Hailey(?) getting there hands of them however unlikely it is it is still possible. That would bring many awful events to the world.

Pokemon Trainers Academy:
C.J. Styles
Lexi Styles

Pokemon: Journeys Through Novia
Taegan Power

Pokemon Fallout:
Ignis Gerentis-Torch(Magmar)

Fulgur Gerentis-Static(Electabuzz)
Old August 23rd, 2012 (12:04 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by machomuu.
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
@Machomuu: This isn't the anime. Legendaries are not godmodders. They're X level and weak to fighting type moves. Or whatever. They are only marginally stronger than their equivalent non-legendaries, generally.

Regardless, I guess if more people agreed I could consider it. I definitely feel uneasy about it though.
Well I'm talking about this more in the context of the non-level based RP, in which case, they'd still be rather strong. Maybe not invincible or as strong as previously stated, but seeing that it's possible for a regular pokemon to beat another pokemon 20 levels above them (heavily depending on the pokemon in question), it does give something of a reference point as to whether one should fear them or not, especially given the margin in their natural stats. I mean, I'd be a little disappointed if The Original One was beaten by some 10 year old and his six pokemon, which sadly is incredibly possible and almost easy. I'd like to think that legendaries live up to their name and couldn't be defeated so easily given their importance, but due to the strict RPG nature of the games and the marginal difference between the canons of the games and pretty much every other piece of pokemon media out there, there's nothing to suggest such a thing to be true, and thus, we're forced to rely on stuff like levels, stats, and the like. It really does detract from the surreal realism of it all, especially since quite a few things aren't explained, thus making us work with what we know. It also detracts quite a bit from the terror and power that legendaries appear to exude, and even in the non-main games legendaries are pretty easy; which is pretty disappointing to me.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure we were referring to the legendaries that did get erased, like Mewtwo and Rayquaza, not the ones that still exist. I was, at least.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (12:57 PM).
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to dcjboi
Maybe... Yellow would it be possible to have a npc character who has a legendary as a pokespirit. Also I have another question to pose. Is Arceus still in physical form so to speak?

Old August 23rd, 2012 (01:04 PM).
Kezius
Mime Jr.

@dcjboi - Your first question is the topic at hand currently.. As for your second

Quote:
Only Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus are still physically present, and that's only because they live beyond the reach of the virus. That is to say, not in the mortal realm. (There's a hint in what I just said at an interesting tidbit of information.)
Was answered already on the last page

Pokemon Trainers Academy:
C.J. Styles
Lexi Styles

Pokemon: Journeys Through Novia
Taegan Power

Pokemon Fallout:
Ignis Gerentis-Torch(Magmar)

Fulgur Gerentis-Static(Electabuzz)
Old August 23rd, 2012 (01:53 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by <Challenger>.
<Challenger>
Stay Dandy, baby.

Name: Boston Jargis

Nickname (Optional):Boss or Jarg

Age (10-13): 13

Sex (Male or Female): Male

Appearance: Boston is 5'5, about 120 pounds, and has long green hair that reaches his shoulders. He has muscular arms, and is a quite fast. He always wears a long sleeved navy blue shirt with a Cascade Badge displayed on the front. He keeps his sleeves rolled up and wears dark blue jeans and a navy beanie. He also has a blue backpack that Mike gave him before he died. He fought a gang once by himself, and was cut across the chest deeply by a knife. He also has deep, navy colored eyes with red flecks in them. He always wears blue trainers with neon blue shoe laces and black outlines.

Personality (How does your character act and react to others? Their mental state? Flaws and/or personal weaknesses?): He's very defensive of himself and people who have earned his respect. He used to be a trouble maker, and still is if it involves adults. He tends to be a bit arrogant, but is really sweet if you take the time to know him. He used to be quite a jerk, but has taken the road to becoming nicer. The only reason he survived the wilderness was by searching for whatever berries and bark he could find. He wants to destroy every adult that would even dream of attaking kids, and will stop at nothing to do so. He has a war cry, "Viva la children!!"

History: Boston grew up in Eterna City where some adults hate children and some don't. He tended to pick fights with the ones that didn't, which led to him getting in trouble quite a bit. His parents moved to Jubilife at a young age, for they hated children. He was alone until one kind teenager named Mike Wizowski found him and took him under his wing. They stayed together through thick and thin, but eventually agents from Jubilife kidnapped and killed Mike. Boston took his [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]revenge[/COLOR][/COLOR] by turning into Polo and slaughtered an entire squad of adults with his mighty Hydro Pump Hyper Beam combo. In a fit of anger, he fled to Hearthome City in hopes of joining the kid resistance.

Pokéspirit (No legendaries. Alternate color schemes are allowed.)
Species: Blastoise

Nickname (Optional): Polo

Personality (Can be as short or long as you want): He's excactly like Boston in terms of personality.

Moves (Maximum of 6. TM and egg moves are allowed. These are the moves your character gets when they fuse): Hydro Pump,Focus Blast,Iron Defense,Rapid Spin,Mirror Coat,Hyper Beam

Other (Optional): Only uses one cannon for Hydro Pump and Focus Blast, and when he's in deep trouble, uses one for Hydro Pump and one for Hyper Beam. He's a forest green.

Opening Post: Boston stumbled out of the forest, and gaped at the ruins of Hearthome City. It's not what I thought it would be, but it's free of adults, and that's good enough for me. He started to walk towards it. It had been mere days since they had killed Mike, and his heart was pumping with hatred. I know that fellow wielders would help me get revenge. They have too! Mike, I won't let you down buddy. I WILL avenge you! Believe it! He clenched his fist with determination and continued walking. These guys hate adults just as much as me, I'm sure of it! He dug around in his pack for one of the many interesting things he found during his journeys: a piece of wood that mysteriously like a wave. It always calms him to look at it. I'm sorry Mike...I couldn't get there in time. It's all my fault...

He ate the last of the Oran Berries he had gathered hours ago as he entered the city gate. He had been living off of whatever berries and edible bark he could find, which in all honesty wasn't that much. He had managed to put off weight, which was bad at the current times. He couldn't turn into Polo due to the fact that he would merely rage and destroy anything. Where could I find the leader here? He wondered around spotting handfuls of kids here or there, but no one seemed to notice the lost, hungry kid with a scar. "Hello? Where is the leader?" he called out hoping for a response.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (02:16 PM).
espoengirl
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Naive
yes i am aware of that and thanks for accepting my SU.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (04:14 PM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Community Supporter

@TornZero: Well, for the record, pokespirit wielders are a significant deal stronger than even the trainer owned pokemon of old. Legendary Pokemon are wild. In the games, trained pokemon are approximately 10% stronger than equivalent wild pokemon. I'd estimate that pokespirit wielders can fluctuate between 20%-40% stronger than equivalent wild pokemon depending on how well the human and pokemon spirit synchronize and work together, as well as how good the relationship is between the two.

I'm really handing spoilers to you right now, but basically I'll tell you that I say these things based off of lore, all of it from the games, and some of it somewhat secret. I'd say that if you wanted, there are methods of having your character learn about lore. A convenient trip to Canclave, where a ruined library is still intact, would be an excellent place to start. However, a book or two could wind up anywhere over the region, especially in the hands of the adults, who very likely turn to searching ancient mythology for answers to their problems at this point.

But I see what you mean.

@Machomuu: Well, I mean, the absense of levels in the RP doesn't change the fact that they give us a relative strength to go by when dealing with unique canon characters like legendary pokemon. Legendaries would not/will not godmod. I don't like that trope anyway.

@espoengirl: You're welcome. c: Let me know if there's anything I can do for you or help you with.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (04:22 PM).
Hovde

Nature: Quiet
oh, sorry about bringing that up then

Old August 23rd, 2012 (04:30 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by machomuu.
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:

@Machomuu: Well, I mean, the absense of levels in the RP doesn't change the fact that they give us a relative strength to go by when dealing with unique canon characters like legendary pokemon. Legendaries would not/will not godmod. I don't like that trope anyway.
As far as RPs go, I feel the same way. Personally I do think they should have incredible power to compliment the magnitude of their elements of governance, but as characters I don't think they fit; far too many power imbalances and other discrepancies. Plus, they're depicted in canon as being far too weak to have the strength you'd expect from "legendaries (I mean, they did canonize the capture of one, technically two legendaries, one of which governs Yin/Yang, so that tells you something about how strong they are). It's sad, really, since they are mostly literally embodiments of facets of reality, you'd think they'd have incredible power. Oh well, I blame childhood ambition.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (05:30 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by PkMnTrainer Yellow.
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Community Supporter

@machomuu: The problem is that /normal/ pokemon have incredible superpowers. You're comparing legendaries to them as if normal pokemon are some dog on the street, when in reality fire pokemon can generally burn through any known substance, electric pokemon power civilization, psychic pokemon are pretty self-explanatory. Ghost pokemon are the /masters of death itself/. (See, pokemon are immortal, and will simply reincarnate unless a ghost pokemon kills them due to their soul eating tendencies.) Etcetera

Legendary pokemon tend to have maybe one to two extra quirks that don't necessarily imply extra strength at all but rather an expanded horizon of powers to wield when you consider that pokemon already had insane superpowers to begin with.

With the exception of certain legendaries such as Arceus in Mewtwo, but their levels are at 80. Compare that to a champion at the top of their game at maybe 74-77 per pokemon and you determine that yes, they're far too strong to be taking on one versus one, but not so much that they can pull an action movie and take out an entire team of competent pokemon working together against them. |D

Being legendary seems to have more to do with uniqueness and unique quirks, considering there are plenty of normal pokemon, such as Tyranitar, that are honestly much stronger than most legendaries.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (05:51 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by machomuu.
machomuu
Community Supporter

Fair enough, it does seem to take away from that "terrible power" when you see them on the same level as normal pokemon, which in reality, they may be. Groudon, for instance, seems to be this incredibly powerful Godzilla-esque creature, and he is, with Kyogre's help he can literally create continents, but it could still be taken down by a Blastoise. It saddens me, really, in the sense of power over substance.

Growing up, I've always seen legendaries as these "uber-powerful" beasts that were almost literally gods in terms of power, when in reality they're simply "Uber-Rare" pokemon that the universe may depend...uh, wait, let me rephrase that. In reality they're simply "Uber-Rare" pokemon that may have incredibly important abilities, but regardless of that importance they may not actually have something other than a stat boost. In other words, they're simply pokemon, incredibly small in species, that are just a little bit more special. Zekrom and Reshiram proved that legendaries aren't actually that powerful by comparison...and that realization really takes away from how I feel about the series. The games, anyway, I still have Pokemon Special and that's all that matters.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (08:27 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by dcjboi.
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezius View Post
@dcjboi - Your first question is the topic at hand currently.. As for your second

Was answered already on the last page
Thanks, When I logged back in you brought it to my attention that I skipped an entire page. Sorry about that.

Also It is disappointing how a creature that created most of the oceans/land in the world can get defeated so easily. They are made to look like titans and then compared to what they truly are and the feats/stories of them, they seem to be like shadows of their former selves or something. If legendary were made into NPCs, they shouldn't be common to battle or accessible by someone who is weak/alone depending on what is needed to reach the legendary and they also should be relatively strong. Yellow seems to be a well-seasoned RPer so I'm not worried about the outcome of this.

Old August 23rd, 2012 (10:00 PM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Community Supporter

...In conclusion legendaries are a bad idea. Seriously, we need to be over the notion that legendaries are some kind of gods before I can even consider that. Because, no offense, but I try to give you guys quality lore, and that notion slaps lore in the face in favor of a huuuge cliche. Arceus is the only Pokemon I can even remotely treat that way without feeling like I'm breaking canon. So...--

Regardless, I assure you I'll be throwing NPC challenges of very strong non-legendary pokemon with interesting quirks. Lucy and anyone that accompanies her will witness a pretty dark NPC on their way to Mt. Coronet.
Old August 24th, 2012 (01:28 AM). Edited August 24th, 2012 by Lopnis.
Lopnis

Okay, I get legendaries as pokespirits as a bad idea but what about fighting the Big 3 (Palkia, Dialgia,Giratina). You know finding a way into their realm and fighting them. Also I'm still looking for someone to interact with.
Old August 24th, 2012 (04:12 AM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopnis View Post
Okay, I get legendaries as pokespirits as a bad idea but what about fighting the Big 3 (Palkia, Dialgia,Giratina). You know finding a way into their realm and fighting them. Also I'm still looking for someone to interact with.
Because they kinda control time, space, and the borders of the fabric of reality. If one of them went down then the universe would be screwed.
Old August 24th, 2012 (05:37 PM).
Hovde

Nature: Quiet
I agree with machomuu, we would be pretty screwed

Old August 25th, 2012 (09:50 PM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Community Supporter

@Hereto: Alright. About your app. Sorry about the wait.

You understand that Pokespirits are separate entities and not something you 'turn into', right? Rather, you fuse with them. You also do not take the form of a Pokemon. I say this because both of these things are actually against the rules even if you wanted your character to be different in those ways, as they violate the RP's canon in a rather extreme way.

(When you fuse, you are gain some Pokemon features, such as a tail, or special ears, perhaps a second set of arms. You are still clearly recognizable as human however.)

As a rule of thumb, at absolute most your character's face must still be recognizable as human when fused.

I bring this up because the way you phrased things in your app concerns me. (Similarly, while Hearthrome is in an extreme state of disrepair where I'd estimate at least 50% of it's buildings have suffered major structual damage of some sort, I wouldn't ever use the term ruins to describe it.)

Lastly, do you think you could explain who this group of adults he murdered are and what significance they hold to him? (Did he know them? Were they somehow related to the murder of Mike? If not, why exactly did he choose them and not others?) While I'm at it, is there any particular reason your character's parents decided they hated kids?

These details would make your history longer and improve your SU. c:
Old August 25th, 2012 (11:57 PM).
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Hey Yellow Is it okay that I add on to my SU?

Old August 26th, 2012 (04:37 AM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Community Supporter

@dcjboi: You can, but you'll need to get my permission again after you're done.
Old August 26th, 2012 (06:01 PM).
<Challenger>
Stay Dandy, baby.

The waits no problem. I'll get to it right away. Expect the results around 6 or 7 PM Eastern time zone.
Old August 27th, 2012 (05:31 PM).
<Challenger>
Stay Dandy, baby.

Name: Boston Jargis

Nickname (Optional):Boss or Jarg

Age (10-13): 13

Sex (Male or Female): Male

Appearance: Boston is 5'5, about 120 pounds, and has long green hair that reaches his shoulders. He has muscular arms, and is a quite fast. He always wears a long sleeved navy blue shirt with a Cascade Badge displayed on the front. He keeps his sleeves rolled up and wears dark blue jeans and a navy beanie. He also has a blue backpack that Mike gave him before he died. He fought a gang once by himself, and was cut across the chest deeply by a knife. He also has deep, navy colored eyes with red flecks in them. He always wears blue trainers with neon blue shoe laces and black outlines.

Personality (How does your character act and react to others? Their mental state? Flaws and/or personal weaknesses?): He's very defensive of himself and people who have earned his respect. He used to be a trouble maker, and still is if it involves adults. He tends to be a bit arrogant, but is really sweet if you take the time to know him. He used to be quite a jerk, but has taken the road to becoming nicer. The only reason he survived the wilderness was by searching for whatever berries and bark he could find. He wants to destroy every adult that would even dream of attaking kids, and will stop at nothing to do so. He has a war cry, "Viva la children!!"

History: Boston grew up in Eterna City where some adults hate children and some don't. His parents abandoned him due to the fact that he was a child. The only reason they did so is because he had an older brother who participated in the war, and he killed his aunt and uncle, who fought with the adults. As he got older, he tended to pick fights with the ones that didn't, which led to him getting in trouble quite a bit. His parents moved to Jubilife at a young age, for they hated children. He was alone until one kind teenager named Mike Wizowski found him and took him under his wing. They stayed together through thick and thin, but eventually agents from Jubilife kidnapped and killed Mike. They were part of a gang of adults who despised adults who talked to, fraternized with, or helped children. Boston discovered about his Pokespirit then and there. He sprouted cannons from his shoulders, and grew a shell on his back. He waltzed into Jubilife City, slaughtering adults with his mighty Hydro Pump Hyper Beam combo. In a fit of anger, he fled to Hearthome City in hopes of joining the kid resistance.

Pokéspirit (No legendaries. Alternate color schemes are allowed.)
Species: Blastoise

Nickname (Optional): Polo

Personality (Can be as short or long as you want): He's excactly like Boston in terms of personality.

Moves (Maximum of 6. TM and egg moves are allowed. These are the moves your character gets when they fuse): Hydro Pump,Focus Blast,Iron Defense,Rapid Spin,Mirror Coat,Hyper Beam

Other (Optional): Only uses one cannon for Hydro Pump and Focus Blast, and when he's in deep trouble, uses one for Hydro Pump and one for Hyper Beam. His shell is a metallic silver.

Opening Post: Boston stumbled out of the forest, and gaped at the ruins of Hearthome City. It's not what I thought it would be, but it's free of adults, and that's good enough for me. He started to walk towards it. It had been mere days since they had killed Mike, and his heart was pumping with hatred. I know that fellow wielders would help me get revenge. They have too! Mike, I won't let you down buddy. I WILL avenge you! Believe it! He clenched his fist with determination and continued walking. These guys hate adults just as much as me, I'm sure of it! He dug around in his pack for one of the many interesting things he found during his journeys: a piece of wood that mysteriously like a wave. It always calms him to look at it. I'm sorry Mike...I couldn't get there in time. It's all my fault...

He ate the last of the Oran Berries he had gathered hours ago as he entered the city gate. He had been living off of whatever berries and edible bark he could find, which in all honesty wasn't that much. He had managed to put off weight, which was bad at the current times. He couldn't fuse due to the fact that he would merely rage and destroy anything. Where could I find the leader here? He wondered around spotting handfuls of kids here or there, but no one seemed to notice the lost, hungry kid with a scar. "Hello? Where is the leader?" he called out hoping for a response.

How's this?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links