The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: What should I call the game?
Apicem Version 2 100.00%
Peak Version 0 0%
Other (Give Ideas In Comments) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:48 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Nature: Modest

Welcome To Pokemon Apex

Introduction

Hello Pokemon Fans! This, as you can tell, is Pokemon Apex! This fan made game built in RPG Maker XP has been in development for close to 2 years. The Main Developer(Dillon) started this as a side project, and later recruited me to help. Since I jumped on the Dev Team, we have made better progress. I hope for you guys to stick around till the end! ~Harvey

Story

Journey to the all new region Apicem! Located near Hoenn, You will see all the Classic Generations of Pokemon with Revamped Graphics. Now, you start out as an adventurous 16 year old on your birthday. You Notice a present on your table, which includes a brand new Pokedex! after talking to your mother, who give you Running Shoes and your PokéAura, you go to Visit Professor Linden who is going to give you a Pokemon. But the machine is broke! How will you get your Pokemon?

Updates

Latest | 0.72a | 31/03/14: Got someone working on a soundtrack

Previous | 0.72a | 11/02/14: I'll have the latest version up for download as soon as possible guys :D Stay Tuned.

And here it is! Still very broken but its progress! Download

0.68a | 09/02/14: REBOOT - I'm back to working on Apex. How much I don't know. But hopefully enough to actually release something to you guys.

In other news, I have a functioning install wizard that should be automatic and also allow you to install a new version which will just overwrite the old one.

But yeah, progress is being made again.

Older Updates:
Spoiler:
0.56a | 30/07/13: So, as you know, the game's development has been frozen for a while. Fortunately, we are still working on it and want to release the demo due 5 months ago. I apologise for the delay. Harvey was unable to access a computer and let's just say procrastination is my best friend. Features and updates set to be included in the upcoming demo include:
  • Maps completely retextured with custom tiles sprited by Harvey
  • Custom player sprites made by Harvey
  • New widescreen resolution (640x400)
  • Completed maps all the way to Magnas City
  • All important events complete all the way to Magnas
  • Final Pokédex in the game without uneccessary later generations
I promise we will update the game soon, and when we do, it will be so much better than it was last update.

0.56a | 14/02/13: BREAKING NEWS! DESTRUCTION OF EARTH IMMINENT! That's what I WOULD say if the end of the world was near. But now that I have your attention, I would like to announce that the release of the first proper update IS FINALLY GONNA HAPPEN!(Wooo, party!)

It should be released within the next couple of weeks and you should expect lots of changes including the full, playable game up until the first gym or maybe further. After this, we expect to release updates more frequently, providing that we can find a more convenient way to distribute the game.

Happy Valentine's Day, and stay tuned for more news!

0.56a | 28/01/13: First Video Upload! I have completely remade the Professor scene at the start of the game. A video of this has been uploaded on my personal YouTube and you can watch it here. The new version of the game will not be uploaded here yet as it is very buggy at the moment but you should check back every so often for news on a new release.

Also, I would like to ask that you please pass on news of this game as it isn't doing well in terms of publicity. Thanks in advance.

0.56a | 18/11/12: NEW MAPS! Harvey has been working hard on the game and the result so far is the big collection of new maps seen in the Maps section about half-way down the post" Go check them out!

0.56a | 11/11/12: Just a quick word to say that Harvey_Create has replaced kirby as my mapper. He has a lot of knowledge of the program and its features so the game should be moving slowly towards an official release soon. Thank you for your patience. The game hasn't been updated yet but you can, as always, download the pre-alpha here.

0.56a | 10/11/12: An apology: Sooo... I haven't been here in a while, but I'm back and I have good news and bad news. Well the good news is, the project isn't dead. In fact, it's very much alive... Sort of. This leads me to the bad news which comes in three parts. The first thing is that the files are currently on an External Hard Drive, waiting to be transferred over to my unfinished gaming computer. I was hoping to have the comp by now but since a few of the parts were DOA, I have had quite a bit of an unanticipated delay. The second part is that my mapper has disappeared, and by disappeared I mean he hasn't been online in over a month which means the mapper post is once again, available for the taking - not like anyone wanted to do it anyway. Finally, the third piece of bad news is that Call of Duty: Black Ops II comes out on Tuesday and... well you catch my drift. I will try to work on it as much as possible when - or if - I get my computer up and running.

That's it for this update and I would like to remind you the latest build is still available for testing below. Thank You.

0.56a | 11/10/12: Big Update! Well, here it is, the highly anticipated next update! Changelist:
  • Fixed some badly tiled areas.
  • Changed the player's room slightly.
  • Finished the main events from the Patria Town.
  • Fixed A LOT of bugs.
  • Fixed some tiles which were passable.
  • Inserted the first battle.
The game can be downloaded here.

0.56a | 02/10/12: Sorry I haven't been working on the game. I have a newly found serious addiction to a certain game and its been holding me back from work. I will try to get more work done soon. Version 0.31a can still be downloaded here.
P.S. - I uploaded this YouTube video on the 21st September and it nearly has 800 views already! Help me reach 1,000!

0.31a | 18/09/12: Fixed bugs that came with the 0.28a update. Also fixed the error about not being able to find RGSS104E.dll. The game can be downloaded from the same link as before.

0.28a | 18/09/12: I've updated the game to version 0.28a.

Quick explanation of version number:
  • The "0" means its in Pre-Alpha.
  • The ".28" is increased with every small change.
  • The "a" stands for alpha.
  • When the game is in beta the letter will change. (Example: 1.32b)

0.28a Changelist:
  • Fixed the 'Invisible Oak' bug.
  • Fixed getting stuck on the roof when exiting the Lab.
  • Fixed the transfer events, making it possible to travel to Magnas City.
  • Added Pokémon Center in Magnas City.
  • Fixed some incorrect tiles.
  • Fixed other small bugs.
You can download the game here.

0.23a | 17/09/12: The installer is ready, but the game is not. During the past two days, I have been working so much on a way to distribute the alpha. Because of this, I haven't made any progress on the game and we're still looking at about another 1 or 2 weeks before the actual alpha release. If you REALLY want to try the current version, PM me and you can become some of the first beta testers. You will be able to get hold of each release before anyone else, but you will need to write a bug report for every release. So PM me and I will explain your tasks and give you a download link.

15/09/12: I think I have figured a way to make a standalone release (or at least what looks like a standalone). I have created a way to do it via Batch (.bat) I need to take it into further testing for security and fail-proof reasons but I think I'm on to something. I'll update again once I have tested this fully.

14/09/12: Alpha Release Announcement! Yep. You heard it. I have decided that I will release an alpha demo which will let you play up to the first gym. I have the basic maps ready so all I need to do is tweak the maps and put in the events. NOTICE: I will need someone to tell me how or if I can release the game as a standalone. If you can't do that, can someone tell me the best way to go about releasing it. Thanks in advance.

10/09/12: More maps! I've updated the screenshots section to include more maps made by my new mapper, kirby9412. So any comments regarding map design should be directed at him. Thank you.

04/09/12: So, I mentioned the other day that me and gimmepie have been working very hard together on each others games. As a result, it was quite inevitable that the games would somehow end up connected. I can now reveal that both the games will be connected some way or another. The most obvious references will come through character appearances and pieces of the story-line. So look out for Pokémon Opal Version. You can visit the thread by clicking his banner in my signature.

Also, I need to know the best way to export and distribute the game and/or betas. The sooner someone tells me, the sooner I can release a very, very early alpha to prove the game IS being developed.

Oldest: Since me and gimmepie have been working closely on my game recently, we decided it would be nice to have certain 'references' to each others games in our own. So you can look out for them when we come to release.

World Map

Thank you Niknaks for making our world map!

Introducing the Heroes!

Maps, Screenshots, and Videos

Spoiler:
Screenshot Selection

Patria Town:

Magnas City Mockup:

Route 51:

Pokémon Center:

Possible new look for Apicem:

Credits

Testers

Support Banner

If you guys could help spread the word a bit that would also be great. Thanks.

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7298335#post7298335"][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2yoy6ie.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7298335#post7298335"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ExcxBKC.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited by UltimateDillon; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:07 PM. Reason: Updates
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

hi can someone remove the poll completely off the page (if thats possible) and change the name to

"[RMXP] Pokémon Apex Version" instead of "[RMXP] Pokémon Apicem Version"?

I just decided on that name just now so if someone could do that, it would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by UltimateDillon; August 13th, 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Change of plan
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people

Nature: Quiet
Enjoy your new thread name! :D
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Thank you very much. That will help to keep people from getting confused.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

UPDATE: (For anyone who is actually looking at the thread)
  • The Pokégear is now replaced by the 'Aurora Gear' (or another good name if anyone can help me think)
  • The game is now called Pokémon Apex Version
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDillon View Post
UPDATE: (For anyone who is actually looking at the thread)
  • The Pokégear is now replaced by the 'Aurora Gear' (or another good name if anyone can help me think)
  • The game is now called Pokémon Apex Version
What bout Sticking with the Poké[NAME] theme?
  • PokéBoy (refering GameBoy's?)
  • PokéBuddy (Every Trainer's Helping buddy)
  • PokéAurora? (sticking with your Aurora?)
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:53 AM
TheMrQuit
Egg: It's going to hatch soon!

Nature: Lax
I would like to help you giving some advices, even if i'm only a new user here. You asked why people are not interested in your project and i think it's because you have just uploaded yours. Also you should really think about a storyline and something that makes your game different and unique, because there are a ton of fangames (all in development, just one or two completed) about pokemon, so unless you have a good idea AND your game is far enough in development, you won't get much interest. I mean, look at the first games in the showcase: either they are completed or they looks graphically stunning or have unique concepts.

But don't give up! This can be a good way for you to start and you'll get better and better. "Practise makes perfect." They say.

So, good luck with your game!
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
What bout Sticking with the Poké[NAME] theme?
  • PokéBoy (refering GameBoy's?)
  • PokéBuddy (Every Trainer's Helping buddy)
  • PokéAurora? (sticking with your Aurora?)
These are actually quite good. I don't want to do PokéBuddy because it's a bit too far for my liking. :D

PokéBoy sounds good but it could end up seeming out of place if I decide to change the game to a different style. (e.g. from Emerald tilesets to HG/SS tilesets)

PokéAurora is good though. that could work. I might make it something else shorter like PokéAura or something similar.

As for the tiles, do you think I should go double screen and do HG/SS or D/P style? I think if I went with one of these, I would have a bigger choice of tiles and features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrQuit View Post
I would like to help you giving some advices, even if i'm only a new user here. You asked why people are not interested in your project and i think it's because you have just uploaded yours. Also you should really think about a storyline and something that makes your game different and unique, because there are a ton of fangames (all in development, just one or two completed) about pokemon, so unless you have a good idea AND your game is far enough in development, you won't get much interest. I mean, look at the first games in the showcase: either they are completed or they looks graphically stunning or have unique concepts.

But don't give up! This can be a good way for you to start and you'll get better and better. "Practise makes perfect." They say.

So, good luck with your game!
Thanks for the support. I would just like to say that the reason it isn't graphically stunning or detailed is because I need people to help me. I'm sure Nintendo didn't hire one guy to sit at a desk and develop Black and White. So all i'm asking is for a few people who can maybe help me get this a little further. If you know anyone who can help, please tell them about this. Thanks.

UPDATE: I'm changing to HGSS style so I will reupload the screenshots in the new style soon. I will also redraw the map or get NikNaks to do it in a HGSS style.

Last edited by UltimateDillon; August 14th, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:58 AM
TheMrQuit

Unfortunately i don't know someone who can really help you. :(
Changing sprites to HGSS is really a good idea: it will give the game a more professional look. I think you may want to discard the idea of fakemons unless you are (or you find) a really good spriter. Custom tilesets and pokemons are good only if they are well made, because thay have to fit with the Nintendo's ones, which is not an easy task, really! I'm sorry i can't be of better help, but i'm not good at anything because i haven't tried anything. Maybe i could be a mapper, but i'm not sure... :knockedou

P.S.:The banner of your game looks good an the title screen is good too!

Old August 16th, 2012, 05:02 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
Unfortunately i don't know someone who can really help you.
Changing sprites to HGSS is really a good idea: it will give the game a more professional look. I think you may want to discard the idea of fakemons unless you are (or you find) a really good spriter. Custom tilesets and pokemons are good only if they are well made, because thay have to fit with the Nintendo's ones, which is not an easy task, really! I'm sorry i can't be of better help, but i'm not good at anything because i haven't tried anything. Maybe i could be a mapper, but i'm not sure...
I think you may be right. I should just use the Hoenn Pokémon for this since this region is supposed to be close to Hoenn.

Quote:
P.S.:The banner of your game looks good an the title screen is good too!
Thanks! I have been slowly practising Photoshop for the past few months and I think I'm getting okay at it.

Last edited by UltimateDillon; August 20th, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:03 AM
TheMrQuit

I found this really useful site which is the wikia for Pokemon essentials and there is a tutorial about a dual/touch screen here (Cannot post link because i haven't made enough post: just search pokemon essentials wikia and inside the site search for dual screen).

Anyway i think i can come with some decent ideas for a storyline, i'll tell you if i will.

Also, you are in my signature! Congrats! :D

Old August 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
I found this really useful site which is the wikia for Pokemon essentials and there is a tutorial about a dual/touch screen here
Thanks. I think I saw that page at some point but I wasn't planning on using it then. I guess I'll have a look at it again. Also, yeah if you do have any ideas for some story events, PM me and we will talk.

Quote:
Also, you are in my signature! Congrats!
Thanks! That will really help me.

Last edited by UltimateDillon; August 20th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

UPDATE: The screenshots are now updated to use the HGSS tiles. I've also included a screenshot of (what will probably be) the first town.
Old August 25th, 2012, 06:22 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy lately. I will try to get a preview of the PokéAura out soon. I'm also thinking about scrapping the Dual Screen idea. It's much harder than I expected and the ways I have tried that were slightly successful make the game look a bit crappy. Thoughts on this?
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDillon View Post
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy lately. I will try to get a preview of the PokéAura out soon. I'm also thinking about scrapping the Dual Screen idea. It's much harder than I expected and the ways I have tried that were slightly successful make the game look a bit crappy. Thoughts on this?
um, I never personally liked the whole dual screen thing, its probably just me, as you can use it for various things, but to me, this is on a computer, so I honestly see no reason for a dual screen xDD
but anyway, good luck!

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Finally, someone on here gets it.
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:13 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
um, I never personally liked the whole dual screen thing, its probably just me, as you can use it for various things, but to me, this is on a computer, so I honestly see no reason for a dual screen xDD
but anyway, good luck!
i think you're probably right. i don't see the need. its just because i was thinking about the battle GUI. anyway, i've tried dual screen but its way too hard to script.
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
A dual screen is pointless for a computer.

I like that you have used a unique idea for the beginning of the players journey.
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:16 AM
voyager123456789
Beginning Trainer

Why not start it differently? why not make it so the character wakes up in forest some place, with a Pokédex? at that point you could choose the name and gender. Then you find you are not alone, and that there is a pokémon beside you. (then you could choose that too) and your story should be to find out who u really are find that pokemon? or something.. i dunno i dont really play the games or know much about the new pokémon. lol just an idea
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:10 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager123456789 View Post
Why not start it differently? why not make it so the character wakes up in forest some place, with a Pokédex? at that point you could choose the name and gender. Then you find you are not alone, and that there is a pokémon beside you. (then you could choose that too) and your story should be to find out who u really are find that pokemon? or something.. i dunno i dont really play the games or know much about the new pokémon. lol just an idea
Hey, voyager xD. Yeah that sounds quite good, although I think I have gotten far enough in my game to be at a loss if I changed the story-line. But if I ever make another game after Apex, this sounds like a good idea to use.
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:52 PM
PokemonSnakewood
PokeNoob

Nature: Lonely
I like the way this seems to be coming along, hope this is completed !

Also, what format will this game be released inÉ
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonSnakewood View Post
I like the way this seems to be coming along, hope this is completed !

Also, what format will this game be released inÉ
Thanks for the kind words! At the minute, I'm not sure in which format it will be released as I don't know whether RMXP games can be exported as a standalone program. If anyone could help me with this, or give me some info, that would be great.

Updates!
I mention the other day that me and gimmepie have been working together on each others games. As a result, it was quite inevitable that the games would somehow end up connected. I can now reveal that both the games will be connected some way or another. The most obvious references will come through character appearances and pieces of the story-line. You can visit his thread by clicking the banner in my signature.

More updates will be explained tomorrow.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Rick1234
Hidden in the shadows, for now

Nature: Quiet
O_o I don't oftenley view the game development area but I noticed our names are almost the same XD I never seen this thread either.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1234 View Post
O_o I don't oftenley view the game development area but I noticed our names are almost the same XD I never seen this thread either.
I've never seen your thread either so, if its a copy thing your getting at I have 3 things to say.
  • This is complete coincidence. I would never steal a name/idea.
  • You can't copyright a name. You have to get a trademark for that, which costs around $300. You can only copyright materials/ideas.
  • Google it. I'm sure many will back up what I'm saying.

I apologize if I'm getting you wrong.

More Updates! (Check the "Latest" section in the post)

Last edited by UltimateDillon; September 4th, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:13 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
I never really commented on it before but I'm loving the screenshots :D

A note though you should update the one containing the old regional map ASAP (imo).

Edit: I'm going to try and get that artwork to you very soon but I'm yet to have it myself.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM
UltimateDillon
Veteran Gamer (Sort Of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
I never really commented on it before but I'm loving the screenshots :D

A note though you should update the one containing the old regional map ASAP (imo).
Hey, thanks! Yeah thanks for reminding me about that. I would update now but theres a problem with the size of the map and its not filling the PokéGear screen like it should. I'll need to look into that before I update things.

And you can take your time with your game and stuff too. I dont expect you to be super fast with working on stuff for me

Last edited by UltimateDillon; September 5th, 2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links