The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 26th, 2012, 03:08 AM
zephyr6257
Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)

Whenever I play Pokémon Black, I always feel like I'm six years old all over again jamming my thumbs on a GameBoy Advance playing Pokémon FireRed, or watching the original Pokémon series with Misty and all. Doesn't it feel so nostalgic? Share your experiences.
Old August 26th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Blues-Music
Pokemon researcher

Nature: Calm
Yes.Not only is it like i'm playing my childhood all over again I play it with groundbreaking graphics , and new pokemon , but what really increased the nostalgia feature was adding old pokemon.
Old August 26th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
I can't get a nostalgia feeling off something that just came out.
Old August 26th, 2012, 05:32 AM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I agree, it gives me a nostalgic feel. It was the first pokemon game I got when it came out, and there's just something about opening the present containing the starters and walking down route 1 with Cheren and Bianca that kind of gives me the chills. :D
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
If any of games in the last few years has not gave me nostalgia it would be these games. With Gen IV at least they evos and pre evos on previous gen pokemon. In BW though it was unto itself and there was no connect. The remakes are the things that give me the nostalgia because I am reliving the games with updated graphics and other settle changes.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old August 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Passenger
Retired
Community Supporter

I seriously didn't even have that feeling. I started to lost motivation for Pokemon. I only had nostalgia while playing Fire Red.
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
No, how can you get that feeling for a game that just came out and has no real connections to previous games? Now, replace "nostalgia" with "headaches" and I'd totally agree.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Blues-Music
Pokemon researcher

No connections?It had tons of old pokemon , and it was the same style , but with better graphics.Also I doubt it can cause headaches unless its because of staring at the bright screen for too long.
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Exitosus

Nature: Serious
nostalgia of 13 years ago the memories...lol.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I felt a little nostalgia wave come over me as I played B/W; it almost felt as if I was playing Red/Blue for the first time due to the lack of older Pokemon early-game.

Old August 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Sodapop
Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Adamant
I loved B/W, it kept me going for hours on end, and whenever I lost
(Mostly Elesa and Drayken), it gave me so much thrill that I kept trying
over and over until I'd win.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nostalgia from BW...? Not for me.
I only get nostalgia feelings from something I've already played before or from remakes.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:43 AM
phonastik
Strange Quark

Nature: Quiet
I think nostalgia is the wrong word, but I know what you mean. Something felt... familiar about it. Starting up Red with my friend, exploring a new world, finding all these new creatures. I felt like I was 6 again, but I knew what I was doing haha.

Forever alone since '99.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:54 AM
pokemontrainer_samuel
Smoochum

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via ICQ to pokemontrainer_samuel Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pokemontrainer_samuel Send a message via Yahoo to pokemontrainer_samuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonastik View Post
I think nostalgia is the wrong word, but I know what you mean. Something felt... familiar about it. Starting up Red with my friend, exploring a new world, finding all these new creatures. I felt like I was 6 again, but I knew what I was doing haha.
True. Nostalgia is not the word to describe this feeling. BW has often kept me thinking something like "what am I suppose to do next?" and "what does this do?" and "what level will my pokemon evolve?". Of course, it's been more than a decade since I first touched pokemon games, and I've learnt many basic things which wouldn't trouble me anymore in BW (like how to walk out of the door. When I first played Yellow, I was wondering why I couldn't exit the house and kept stepping on and off the front door carpet, and like how to catch a pokemon, because in my first game of pokemon blue I kept throwing pokeballs at full hp pokemon just like how the tutorial showed).

But still, it gave me a sense of mystery, and the urge to play the game even more because there is so many stuff that was unknown to me.
Charizard the level 50 Charizard!

This chibi Articuno was adopted at Lugia.co.uk!
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Forever
let it go

B/W at first definitely gave me nostalgia of... something. It didn't quite remind me of playing Pokemon at the start but it gave me more of a familiar feel than any other games have done up til this point. I remember my first steps onto Route 1! They were exciting!!! n_n And even now, when I play B/W it makes me feel more nostalgic now than I feel about any other game even though it's only been a bit over a year. :3
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
BW didn't give me nostalgia of memories (because I had been playing for most of my life and on every generation (duh!)), but it certainly did give me some form of nostalgia. I remember when the first ever images of B/W came out, and the first one I saw was of Castelia City, and because of that, I thought that every area in Unova was going to look like that. However, that gave me a sense of nostalgia because of the advance in graphics from the previous generation (in the nostalgic example, Generation II jumping to Generation III).
Fairy
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
Not really... HG/SS made me Nostalgia BADLY, but B/W? Nah. I just think "Awesome, another Pokemon game!" Kind of hard to feel nostalgic in an entirely new region with absolutely zero familiar pokemon around to catch.
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Fluffyunicornz
Unhatched Egg

Maybe in 10 years when they make a B/W remake on the new Nintendo 3DS Holographic or some crap i will see it as nostalgic.
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyunicornz View Post
Maybe in 10 years when they make a B/W remake on the new Nintendo 3DS Holographic or some crap i will see it as nostalgic.
That would be the Nintendo XLTrio Handheld.

Of course, I made that up. But you're right on one thing; the remake of B/W will provide the nostalgia.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Black & White gave me some sort of nostalgia, particularly the time I first heard about the games.

Gameplay-wise, it does bring back memories of Kanto cos of you know, new region with no familiar Pokemon. But again, Game Freak were putting in a lot of call backs to Red, Blue and Yellow.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:37 AM
soopaord
Togepi

It felt like a "fresh start", not nostalgia. (Nostalgia to me would be Gen I - III)
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
No nostalgia for me. Or, nostalgia in the sense that almost each time I play BW I remember how better the former games were to my mind Otherwise, I don't feel nostalgia for a so recent game yet.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Nostalgia is the feeling I get when I play one of the early generation games, like Yellow or Crystal. It does give me a sense of being a kid again, but nostalgia isn't what I'm experiencing.
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:31 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
I can't get a nostalgia feeling off something that just came out.
Pretty much this. Even if it's a year+ old.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:19 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I don't get the nostalgic feeling that I do when I play the first two generation games, the games just haven't been out nearly long enough for that to happen.

Sponsored Links