The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:41 AM
darkpokeball
Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Square-Enix loves its ports but it doesn't glorify them. I really find it difficult to believe they'd hype something like this so much. Square-Enix doesn't indulge in countdowns and the like very often and with something like TWEWY where, especially in the West, it's very much loved... they wouldn't use this kind of hype-building technique for something as basic as a port that doesn't even seem viable on the surface.

I also don't believe they'd come out with a remix album just to celebrate a game being ported to mobile format and I believe that's what the leak came from? The e-store listing for the remix album?

Maybe I'm in denial but it just doesn't fit their usual announcement tactics so I don't think the iOS port is the news.
^This. I knew about the countdown since it began(I saw it on a Youtube comment while listening to TWEWY music xD)and the possibility of it just being an iOS port is very VERY small. However, there is one small li'l concern: the soundtrack. People that think the soundtrack is being developed FOR the iOS port can be wrong...what if the iOS port is just to show off the soundtrack itself. I still hope for a sequel though.
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
How would they even manage an iOS port anyway with the controls? I can think of either them using multi-touch + two sides of the screen, or an on-screen D-pad, but both seem clunky and hard to use.
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:01 PM
darkpokeball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFEkmq0z6k
^Above. See how they display the dual-screen in there? Perhaps like that on iOS. They might incorporate things like "Shake" or "Tilt" iPod for a few pins o.o Or maybe it's you just play as one character, with the other set to auto permanently
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpokeball View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFEkmq0z6k
^Above. See how they display the dual-screen in there? Perhaps like that on iOS. They might incorporate things like "Shake" or "Tilt" iPod for a few pins o.o Or maybe it's you just play as one character, with the other set to auto permanently
Neither of those options really seem very fun. While I can see how the dual-screen will work, it seems like control would be quite cumbersome.
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:15 AM
darkpokeball

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaras.../en/index.html
NOOO...it really is just an iOS port, and nothing else
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Spinosaurus
Your favorite Pokemon sucks.

Quote:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaras.../en/index.html
NOOO...it really is just an iOS port, and nothing else :(
Well, pack it up folks.

It'd be funny if the big announcement in MGS' 25th anniversary in 4 days is an iOS port too.
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:30 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Just checked out the "What's New" page, and I've gotta say, I'm a little disappointed that this isn't getting a release on a gaming console. There's a lot of new stuff and it would really work well on a single screen console; it'd be perfect for the Vita or Wii U. Heck, they could have pulled an "Overclocked" and released it on the 3DS...oh well. It's pretty darn disappointing that it turns out to be the iOS that gets this.
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

I

am disappointed. :( Ugh I don't even want to play this on iOS. WHY SQUARE ENIX
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went

Well, here is someone who is NOT going to buy it :D
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.

I've just woken up... so it was really just an iOS port? I'm sure the fires caused by this will rival the flames caused by the FFXIII Xbox port's announcement. Time to check GameFAQs!

Note: I've just seen the trailer, and it seems like they've violated canon themselves. There can be two players on the same screen in the iOS port.
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Not only that, but... Shiki is now a pin. Are you serious???

And I'm wondering about the wonderful battles against Sho and the Iron Maiden and Uzuki and Kariya- they were designed for double screens and would make no sense otherwise. $quare-€nix did it again.
Old August 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
This is going to bite them pretty badly, pretty sure. Lots of people got pissed by this (they had to take down a youtube video due to the mass dislikes and disabled the like system on other ones so I heard), and it's frankly pretty disappointing.

Gameplay's going to be wrecked by the merge and doubt it's really going to make the move without losing more stuff too on the way.

OH WELL

EDIT: Actually you can still see the count on the site's video. 280 likes... to 2,779 dislikes. I think that says it all.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific

Last edited by bobandbill; August 26th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old August 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Probably the worst part of this is the shameless breaking of canon. They made perfectly clear the reason as to why the two couldn't exist in the same plane during battles, as well as the reason that humans could not be turned into pins. Sure, it's fine as a gameplay design that you just accept, but the beauty of TWEWY is that you completely control the Neku. You are Neku. The music you hear is the music playing in his headphones, the options you pick are given canonical explanations, and gameplay is entirely canonical and story based; I guess they could justify it somehow, but it'd have to be pretty brilliant and undoubtedly convoluted, I don't see it as being very possible.
Old August 26th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/sp.html

Okay... seems like another countdown is up. Along with the sheer amount of contradicting information we've gotten from SE, this is starting to get even more mind-screwing than TWEWY itself.
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:22 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach7AC View Post

Okay... seems like another countdown is up. Along with the sheer amount of contradicting information we've gotten from SE, this is starting to get even more mind-screwing than TWEWY itself.
Somehow I knew they'd do something like this. It could be anything, so I'll just wait before making any conclusions.
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM
darkpokeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach7AC View Post

*_* Wow. Just...wow. I might forgive Square Enix if the second countdown is the sequel. *flashback*
TWEWY TRANSLATOR: 'twewy iOS is more of a drip than a leak'
Those weren't his exact words but...now I'm curious as a monkey named George.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
There's a 50/50 chance of this port being good or being bad. But from the looks of it, it will still be the same game but with a few more features and new controls.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

The other countdown is a bunch of broken images for me. :(
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:05 AM
darkpokeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
The other countdown is a bunch of broken images for me.
Same. Once it hit zero, it just broke. By the way, I can't even think about getting the port. It's for ONLY 4th gen iPHONES and iPADS. Somehow, Square Enix forgot about those of us who have an iPod Touch.(and even then I probably still couldn't get it, because my iTouch is 3rd gen.)
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

If that's true, I don't know why they didn't release the info simultaneously. Even if it was just a 30-second teaser or some artwork. It would have stopped 90% of the backlash from all the people who are disappointed about all the hype turning out to be nothing in the end.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

The canon break of the iOS version does lead to doubt that there might be a sequel, mainly because there are no other games to reject or confirm either canon (though they explain it in game, I'm not sure if they changed or added anything to the iOS' main story mode as I don't have it), so they can basically do what they want with canon, even if one rejects the other.

Having said that, that's not to say there won't be a sequel. TWEWY was released in 2007 in Japan, the DS was released in 2004 in Japan, there's almost a 3 year difference between their releases. It's only been a year, and barely more than that, since the 3DS was released; there's still time.
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM
darkpokeball

Oh gosh...solo remix, right? What if this is just a way to help adjust to a one-screen mechanic, meaning *gulp* PSVita. If there was a sequel, I'd rather it on the 3ds, however I can see it easily coming to Vita...(WiiU maybe)
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:47 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:
Oh gosh...solo remix, right? What if this is just a way to help adjust to a one-screen mechanic, meaning *gulp* PSVita. If there was a sequel, I'd rather it on the 3ds, however I can see it easily coming to Vita...(WiiU maybe)
It's possible, after all, it's not uncommon for Tetsuya Nomura to give his games Remixes and then sequels and spin offs, There are three Remix titles in the Kingdom Hearts series. However, I doubt that he would do that to get people used to one-screen mechanics, especially since the Vita and Wii U have buttons, and thus they could be played just like the DS title.
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Quote:
I find it very hard to imagine them releasing the sequel for a *not really that popular* game in a different console- specially when said console is doing so horribly bad as the Vita, which has sold 10 times less than the 3DS (2 millions VS 20 in July).

In fact, as unlikely as it is, I'd see a PSP version before a PSV one (since it currently sells better than the Vita, and already has a 60-million userbase). Unless Sony starts pouring millions on SE-Jupiter, I don't think that's very likely to happen. And, if they were to do so, I'd actually think about giving that money to Capcom in exchange for a Monster Hunter instead...
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Magazine leaks! Dunno how accurate. Nabbed the link off someone I follow on Twitter who is pretty quick with Square-Enix news.

http://toro.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ha...1346011898/398

The first image is a quick quote from the director of TWEWY (just the iOS version maybe? idk). The sentence with the read highlight reads as follows:
Quote:
Because we are in the midst of preparing a lot of [content], please play the SoloRemix [while you are waiting*]
* this part is cut off so I'm guessing. Also the rest of the paragraph is generic "please play this port it is good we promise :)".

So that's exciting. And certainly a better deal than just a port whether it's a new addition to the IP instead or additional content for the iOS version. I'm kind of content either way since there's no way I'm buying the iOS version unless they add something. Hoping it implies the iOS game is just to tide us over for something better, though. Pleeease.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Last edited by Cherrim; August 28th, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: clarifying something, fixing like 12 typos lmao
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links