The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Spiky-Eared Pichu Send a message via Skype™ to Spiky-Eared Pichu

Advertise here
Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter
by Spiky-Eared Pichu

Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter is my first hacking tool, created to make Gen IV mapping easier. It allows exporting and importing the different sections of a map file as separate files. Editing is planned for the future, but it won't support every section.

The file formats supported by this tool as of version 0.5 are:
  • Move Permissions files (*.per)
  • Buildings files (*.bld)
  • Nintendo DS Model files (*.nsbmd)
  • Terrain files (*.bdhc)
The tool has a built-in file checker when opening maps and importing sections. Make sure you're importing the right data. It autodetects the game origin as well, but it can be changed at any time (be careful, incorrect values will lead to map corruption).

Screenshots

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?0n3fze12zdm034p

Note: The latest .NET Framework is required to run the tool.

Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!

Beta 2 available!!

Last edited by Spiky-Eared Pichu; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Tan and Teal
DS ROM Hacker

Nature: Careful
We are getting closer to Ds Hacks (with map edits) than ever. Can't wait to try this!
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
This, is great Spiky-Eared-Pichu! this will really bring us closer to DS hacking!

Goodluck on this!
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:55 AM
pichu2000
Smoochum

Good idea, really! Maybe I can add support for your extension file (.per, .bld) in my tool (If you give me authorization)
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:59 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Oh, I forgot to mention is this compatible for all the 4th gen games, including HGSS?
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Spiky-Eared Pichu Send a message via Skype™ to Spiky-Eared Pichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu2000 View Post
Good idea, really! Maybe I can add support for your extension file (.per, .bld) in my tool (If you give me authorization)
Sure you can! These new file formats are just the extracted sections and contain the data, they shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention is this compatible for all the 4th gen games, including HGSS?
It works with Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver, yes. Just make sure you have selected the right game option when exporting or you'll get files with garbage.

EDIT: Version 0.4 has been released!
  • Added import button for all the sections
  • Fixed a size calculation bug when importing terrains
  • Added file type check
  • Added automatic game origin detection (but it can be forced)

Beta 2 available!!

Last edited by Spiky-Eared Pichu; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Hacker Bisharp
Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
Wow! This tool is awesome
Can't wait to try this!

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old August 16th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Tan and Teal
DS ROM Hacker

Holy cow! This is the result of switching the .nsbmd files around!

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4...py21425689.png

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4...py22425918.png

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/7...py23126136.png

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7...py24025774.png

I'll try other files next.
EDIT: http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8...copy201324.png
Canalave City

Last edited by Tan and Teal; August 16th, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:56 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Yesterday I got a buildings data viewer working! It shows all the data related to buildings, including coordinates and model indexes. In the future it'll be an editor, and adding/removing models will be possible as well. Here's a picture:

In case you want to stay updated on everything related to this tool or my hack, I've signed up on Twitter. Follow me at @Markitus95

EDIT: Version 0.5 is now available! Improvements are:

-Buildings data editor (supports add/edit/remove)
-Locked game origin switch (for your safety)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?0n3fze12zdm034p

Beta 2 available!!

Last edited by Spiky-Eared Pichu; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Pike15
Smoochum

How do i open a map in pokemon diamond??
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike15 View Post
How do i open a map in pokemon diamond??
You need to unpack the file that contains the maps. The included readme file explains which file has to be unpacked, but I'll tell you anyways. It's "/fielddata/land_data/land_data_release.narc"

Also, for those who downloaded version 0.5 before this post was written, please redownload it again, your HGSS maps are in danger (I fixed a corruption bug). Sorry!

Beta 2 available!!

Old August 24th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Pike15
Smoochum

Yes i did do that but i cant open land_data_realease.narc
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike15 View Post
Yes i did do that but i cant open land_data_realease.narc
You have to UNPACK it to a folder, and then open its files with the tool. NDS Editor is a good program to unpack .narc files.

EDIT: I've got a Move Permission Editor working, although it has saving disabled for now. Here's Route 202 in it:

The colours for each permission are stored in a text file and they can be changed to whatever you like the most. The Buildings Editor will have a map viewer similar to this one, but smaller

Beta 2 available!!

Last edited by Spiky-Eared Pichu; August 26th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Pike15
Smoochum

Awsome i gonna try if it workz right now thanks alot ;D
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Did you extract those movement permissions directly? If so, the "02" and "3B" permissions match up with the ones in gen three ("tall grass animation" and "Person jumps down over block," respectively.) Weird.

Anyway, I have an idea for a map editor. I think anything that isn't a 3D model is a 2D tile (as shown above with how movement permissions are handled), so therefore we just need an A-Map that works with a z-axis, in layers. I believe this might be sort of how Game Freak did it: 2D tiles on a 3D plane.

For this to work, this new A-Map-esque program could be made to change only what is on the axis you are on. For example, if you want to edit a water tile on "z, -1", selecting "-1" for the z axis will only show/allow editing of tiles on -1. If you want to change a flower on "z, 0", just select "0" for the z axis. If a mountain tile is on z axis 2, select "2", etc.

I know there's already a map viewer for 4th gen, so maybe that could be made to edit the tiles, too.
I'm not sure if any of this has been thought up already/can't be done with the current knowledge of 4th gen map loading/etc., so I might've just wasted everyone's time xD
Old August 28th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Spiky-Eared Pichu
NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Did you extract those movement permissions directly? If so, the "02" and "3B" permissions match up with the ones in gen three ("tall grass animation" and "Person jumps down over block," respectively.) Weird.

Anyway, I have an idea for a map editor. I think anything that isn't a 3D model is a 2D tile (as shown above with how movement permissions are handled), so therefore we just need an A-Map that works with a z-axis, in layers. I believe this might be sort of how Game Freak did it: 2D tiles on a 3D plane.

For this to work, this new A-Map-esque program could be made to change only what is on the axis you are on. For example, if you want to edit a water tile on "z, -1", selecting "-1" for the z axis will only show/allow editing of tiles on -1. If you want to change a flower on "z, 0", just select "0" for the z axis. If a mountain tile is on z axis 2, select "2", etc.

I know there's already a map viewer for 4th gen, so maybe that could be made to edit the tiles, too.
I'm not sure if any of this has been thought up already/can't be done with the current knowledge of 4th gen map loading/etc., so I might've just wasted everyone's time xD
The values shown in that picture are extracted directly from the game, so yes, they match many of the RSE ones.

As for real map editing, Gen IV maps (and the same goes for Gen V) aren't made up of 2D data in a 3D plane. Each map is a true 3D model, composed of vertices and triangles. That's why they are difficult to edit: because we need a full 3D modeller.

However, this tool already supports importing/exporting of models in the native Nintendo DS models. There's a way to create them from 3ds studio max, but it involves official Nintendo plugins, and I can't post links to them (it's like posting a rom). But I will make a tutorial on them soon.

Also, I've started working on another tool. I can't say anything about it because I want it to be a surprise, but I'll only say one thing: it's gonna be HUGE :D

Beta 2 available!!

Old August 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
You have to UNPACK it to a folder, and then open its files with the tool. NDS Editor is a good program to unpack .narc files.

EDIT: I've got a Move Permission Editor working, although it has saving disabled for now. Here's Route 202 in it:

The colours for each permission are stored in a text file and they can be changed to whatever you like the most. The Buildings Editor will have a map viewer similar to this one, but smaller
Why do I install NET Framework V4.0 or not to open the fourth generation of the Pokemon converter tools?
(Note: Double-click reaction)
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:33 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
The values shown in that picture are extracted directly from the game, so yes, they match many of the RSE ones.

As for real map editing, Gen IV maps (and the same goes for Gen V) aren't made up of 2D data in a 3D plane. Each map is a true 3D model, composed of vertices and triangles. That's why they are difficult to edit: because we need a full 3D modeller.

However, this tool already supports importing/exporting of models in the native Nintendo DS models. There's a way to create them from 3ds studio max, but it involves official Nintendo plugins, and I can't post links to them (it's like posting a rom). But I will make a tutorial on them soon.

Also, I've started working on another tool. I can't say anything about it because I want it to be a surprise, but I'll only say one thing: it's gonna be HUGE :D
Really? Then WHY DID THEY DESIGN IT TO LOOK LIKE TILES? -_- Game Freak, pls.

I know of a tool called BrawlBox which allows viewing/editing of 3D models in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (it's designed almost exactly like A-Map too), so it's not at all impossible to do it for Pokemon. Your program is great to even be able to edit models so easily, but if you could do something like BBox, I think that would really get people into 4th gen hacking.
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Tan and Teal
DS ROM Hacker

Quote:

DS map editing may be hard, but we've come so far already. There are so many tools for the ds (not as many as for Game Boy+GBA), including this one and the one you are working on. Can't wait for it BTW.
ps I may or may not be working on one myself.

And you can even create 3d models too!? That's awesome!
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Pike15
Smoochum

How long have you came with the next version??

a little hacking and finally i created a mart in twinleaf town. And i messed up all other buildings too lolz

Last edited by Pike15; September 1st, 2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
JackHack96
Little Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Woah! That's very nice! This tool is very useful, especially if you use it together with pichu2000's NPRE! Finally I haven't to use Crystal Tile!
Thank very much! =D

Visit my website, Hack Rom Tools, here you can find useful tools for ROM hacking.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Alex
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I don't think it's a good idea to use four or five-letter extensions, to be honest. It might pose compatibility issues with dual-OS programs. No, I don't mean OSX or *NIX, but things like SNESedit with DOS — even though Hex workshop exists, few ROM hackers want to throw money at something that has functional free alternatives.

Then again, it may just be my personal opinion that three-letter extensions are best, but it might be wise to stick with them just in case.

Also, two very popular games occupy the .per file extension, which are Age of Empires/Rise of Rome, and Age of Empires II (Age of Kings)/The Conquerors. These games use .per files as personality files to tag with artificial intelligence files (.ai) that they use. So, I wouldn't advise using it.

Again, these things are just what I think. You're welcome to keep or change them—its ultimately up to you of course. :D
Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Link_971
French Rom-Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Link_971
Good idea, i will maybe rewrite my tool with a full support of these extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to use four or five-letter extensions, to be honest. It might pose compatibility issues with dual-OS programs. No, I don't mean OSX or *NIX, but things like SNESedit with DOS — even though Hex workshop exists, few ROM hackers want to throw money at something that has functional free alternatives.

Then again, it may just be my personal opinion that three-letter extensions are best, but it might be wise to stick with them just in case.

Also, two very popular games occupy the .per file extension, which are Age of Empires/Rise of Rome, and Age of Empires II (Age of Kings)/The Conquerors. These games use .per files as personality files to tag with artificial intelligence files (.ai) that they use. So, I wouldn't advise using it.

Again, these things are just what I think. You're welcome to keep or change them—its ultimately up to you of course. :D

Yes, that's why i suggest more search for the two first extensions

Old December 13th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Pike15
Smoochum

only get invalid map when i try to open the fielddata narc thing

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Pike15, please don't bump threads that haven't been posted in for over a month.

Spiky-Eared Pichu, if you would like this thread to be reopened then just message either myself or giradialkia.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here