• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you take stuff too literally?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Do you find it hard to detect sarcasm, humour, or a general lack of seriousness when someone is talking to you? Comment on this in terms of both online and offline interaction.

KyokuseiXRyusei

DenCabe! :3
Years
This is definitely me! I've been brought up to be serious, so jokes seem to just fly right over my head. It's just extremely difficult for me to sense it, especially online. Don't forget to use emoticons so I get it. XD

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
If I wasn't a staunch believer that life is a funny joke and everyone around me is 'jk' I'd probably be an alcoholic. I don't detect jokes, I assume they're all around me.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
Y-Yes. I tend to take jokes very seriously and, especially on the internet, find it hard to pick up on sarcasm and the like ><; I've been trying to become better at getting jokes and the like, but it's still pretty hard ^^;

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Do you take stuff too literally? - personally 80% of the time I do, I always have trouble with certain jokes, or the way how some young people speak - the 'so called' rap style talk. Its on the reasons I don't have too many real life friends.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
No. In fact, I often answer English tests for reading comprehension incorrectly because I read too much into things and think very metaphorically.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
Hahaha no online and offline I never take anything seriously until I know the full extent of the situation. I rarely miss out on a humour point but most of the time I tend to pick it up

Ice Car

Banned
Years

OT: I usually detect sarcasm easily. In fact I too often consider things sarcasm, or worry that maybe something someone said was sarcastic and that I misunderstood, way too often.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Eh. Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda, depending on what it is, but it's highly unlikely. XD If I know the person well enough, then I find the sarcasm and humour obvious as well.

Years
I don't take anything literally whatsoever haha. I'm very mellow so nothing would bother me at all since I just.. don't feel a thing most of the time XD; This goes for both online and offline.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I can usually detect sarcasm well...I use it a lot haha. Seriousness though, not really. I can never tell when people are being legitimately serious, on and offline. Humor I can get sometimes, if I know the terms. Sometimes I laugh and pretend I get it though, tbh lol. Sometimes I misinterpret things though and think they're funny even though they aren't meant to be.

As for taking things literally, I sort of do, but sorta don't? I think in pictures so when I hear something or read something like "his head is in the clouds" I actually see some guy just hanging out with clouds around his head lmao. Then I have to kind of remind myself "that's not what they meant" but sometimes I don't realize those things and think that it's serious. idk if that made sense and y'all probably think I'm dumb lmao. Like if you walked up and said "these *****es was rainin down" I'll think of hookers falling from the sky and laugh.........

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I've been told I take jokes too seriously all the time. Especially on the internet where it's hard to detect sarcasm.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
It depends. A lot of times sarcasm is obvious, but if they say it in such a way that I cant tell I will sometimes take things too literally. Its a bit embarrasing for me when this happens.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
People have told me that I "take things to the head" very easily. Sarcasm does not go over well with me some times.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm amazing at picking up sarcasm so it's rare that I'll take anything too literally. But there are some people where it's really hard to read their sarcasm because they way they talk just does not change whatsoever. Hiroshi Sotomura from this forum is a good example of this! :P

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
Years
I'm usually pretty good at picking up sarcasm and humour offline and online. I've got a pretty dry and sarcastic sense of humour anyways.
If I'm in a bad mood though I take stuff too seriously irl.

Back