The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 27th, 2012 (06:49 PM). Edited August 27th, 2012 by Cilerba.
Conan Edogawa's Avatar
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Nature: Relaxed

Pokemon Slate

Introduction


I started my 'career' with Pokemon modding and developing back four years now, when I first joined here. I was an aspiring hacker, who after two years of failed attempts, decided a change in medium may be best. I switched over to RMXP, and that's where we are today. This is my third attempt at a Pokemon game, but by far my best. I've grown and learned from my past failures, and as a result now know what it truly takes to make a game.

I started developing Slate about a month ago, and have made pretty decent progress. I want to make this game stand out, and make people intrigued by it. To accomplish this, I took the route of custom where I felt I could handle by myself. So far the overworld base is custom made by me, as well as the majority of the indoor tiles. If I get help I plan on making all the tiles custom to completely make this game separate. But to do that I'll need help, which I'll get to later. For now, enjoy the thread.


Story


Cesro; a docile, peacful landmass in the northern hemisphere of the world. Here, humans and Pokemon live together harmoniously alongside each other, at times even coming to the others side for assistance. Pokemon battles are held for fun, but they're nothing serious. Because of this the trained Pokemon are not as strong as they would be in other regions with organized tournaments. This balance worked fine until one day, when a man tried to gain power over the land by trying to overthrow the Region's five leaders. He succeeded, but was quickly defeated by Legendary, who keeps watch over Cesro. Furious over his loss, the man retreats to an unknown place, and everything seems to be fine. A few days after the events unfolded, a small child is born in a small town in Cesro.

Sixteen years have passed since the stir up that brought Legendary to Cesro to calm it down. No other problems have been reported, except the Pokemon do seem more tense than usual. The young child is now sixteen and ready to begin their studies in Pokemon behavior. As is customary to entering this field, you(The child) go to the local institution to receive your first Pokemon. You are escorted outside to the terrarium select your first Pokemon, but are interrupted by a disturbance. A group of men in dark clothing have broken onto the institution and are ransacking the place, using Pokemon as accomplices! Rather than have you be subjected to these uncharacteristically violent events the lead supervisor of the building tells you to take cover in your house. A few hours later, he comes in and explains that the men made off with a lot of valuable research. You turn the T.V. on, only to see it broadcasting a man dressed similarly to the assailants, talking about a resurrection of destiny. Understanding the severity of the situation, you set off to find out more about these people and what their destiny is. But something is strange as you begin to venture; Pokemon are unusually aggressive and begin attacking you! Enraged, you go to find your father, a lead scientist in the field of Pokemon behavior, to find out why the normally quiet beings are so vicious. He theorizes that they understand that Cesro is in turmoil, and that until it is settled they won't stop acting as they are now. With that being said, you officially take it upon yourself to thwart their plans, whatever they may be.


Before setting off for good, a large shadow quickly flies over town, leaving everyone in a state of panic, fearing another attack. Looking up, you catch a glance of a Pokemon, but not enough to identify it. The supervisor mentions something about past, and then goes in to grab anything that remains in the rubble. Is it the Pokemon of legend, the protector of Cesro? No one knows for sure, but if it is, then that can only mean one thing. Something catastrophic is on the verge of happening, And you need to help prevent it. History is said to repeat itself when people fail to learn from previous errors, it's time to see if Cesro learned anything from the events that unfolded sixteen years ago.


Features


-A lush region full of life
-No dull redundant Gym battles- instead there's a new alternative
-Vivid involved storyline that will keep you coming back to play
-Unique starters
Speaking of which

The Starters




These are the official starters for Pokemon Slate. Why you may ask? I like both Pokemon, and these sprites are special(and scratch sprited by me). I'll reveal why in the next update, so for now you can look at them and try to speculate what's different and why.

Screenshots




The Team


Currently I'm the only one. If you're interested in helping, send me a private message with what you can do and proof of your work.

Credits


Poccil
Maruno
Spaceemotion
LTSeraa
AshinxsLaw
Help-14
Kid1513
Kymotonian
ChocoSrawloid
milomilotic11
Pokegirl4ever
cSc-A7X.
Warpas


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old August 27th, 2012 (09:14 PM).
KidNova's Avatar
KidNova
AlphaMale
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Johto
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
I'm really liking the story. Keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old August 28th, 2012 (01:13 PM).
Fire Flyy's Avatar
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: below the heavens
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Cool game, Steve, love the starter resprites. Wooper B)
Not a huge fan of the trees, really, but each to his own I guess, they're nice trees but I feel like they don't go all that well with the overworlds. The lab looks a bit spaced out and empty, as well, I feel like you could maybe fix it up a bit by changing the amount of space between the two walls or adding a rug. Other than that, everything looks good, nice overworlds!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old August 28th, 2012 (03:35 PM).
blackevil165's Avatar
blackevil165
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Sprites look nice man. I can't wait to watch as this develops. I have never worked on a project in a game development, but I have been doing freelance design for 3 years, so if you need help in that department, I would be happy to oblige.
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old August 29th, 2012 (12:21 AM).
Saving Raven's Avatar
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: everywhere
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
I'm really liking this! I want to see this develop and become something big! this is a great start though
__________________

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old August 29th, 2012 (01:01 AM).
Rayquaza.'s Avatar
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
I like this. Looks very good. Is there a reason for not having a grass starter though? Apart from that, looks good. Nice background btw.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old August 29th, 2012 (04:29 PM).
P0kemonMast
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Male
Will try it and leave some feed back
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old September 5th, 2012 (10:36 AM).
Conan Edogawa's Avatar
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidNova View Post
I'm really liking the story. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Flyy View Post
Cool game, Steve, love the starter resprites. Wooper B)
Not a huge fan of the trees, really, but each to his own I guess, they're nice trees but I feel like they don't go all that well with the overworlds. The lab looks a bit spaced out and empty, as well, I feel like you could maybe fix it up a bit by changing the amount of space between the two walls or adding a rug. Other than that, everything looks good, nice overworlds!
Thanks. I'll take all this into consideration, but I'm in the process of revamping so the tile issues won't be a problem afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
I'm really liking this! I want to see this develop and become something big! this is a great start though
Thanks! When you see the new graphics you should be able to see the full potential reached in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
I like this. Looks very good. Is there a reason for not having a grass starter though? Apart from that, looks good. Nice background btw.
I love Wooper, and I feel like Slugma doesn't get the attention it deserves. I didn't include a grass starter because I didn't find one that I felt fit in with these two, both stat wise and for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kemonMast View Post
Will try it and leave some feed back
Well I don't expect to have a demo anytime soon, but thank you for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackevil165 View Post
Sprites look nice man. I can't wait to watch as this develops. I have never worked on a project in a game development, but I have been doing freelance design for 3 years, so if you need help in that department, I would be happy to oblige.
Thanks man, I'll try to get on Skype tonight so we can talk.

I almost forgot to add this, but I won't have any new screenies for a bit while I revamp everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. But to keep you interested, I will be posting some new things to look forward to, such as the new size for battle sprites, as shown by one of my starters:

Instead of 64x64,80x80, or 96x96 I decided to go big. The new size restrictions are 120x120, so I have a lot more room to work with. And as always, if you want to help get in touch any way you can, I'd love to see what you can do!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old September 5th, 2012 (11:37 AM).
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Why not 160 x 160? It'll save you a ton of work ;)
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old September 5th, 2012 (12:34 PM).
Conan Edogawa's Avatar
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkward Squirtle View Post
Why not 160 x 160? It'll save you a ton of work
I appreciate the post, but I don't think that would work with my game for two reasons. One, is the screen size. Right now with the planned size 120x120 fits nicely, while some of the larger 160x160 sprites would make the screen cramped. Second, I think I can make sprites that fit the pokemon style better at this size, and reworking all the sprites I need would be a pain. It is a nice resource, and I thank you for looking out for me like that, I just don't think they're a good fit for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old September 5th, 2012 (01:10 PM).
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
I see. I guess changing the screen size is out of the question? I know I wouldn't pass up a resource like that ;)

Good luck anyway; it's looking good. First time I've seen someone properly demake 4th gen NPCs into 3rd gen style!
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old September 20th, 2012 (01:19 PM).
animegirl3000
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post

Pokemon Slate

Introduction


I started my 'career' with Pokemon modding and developing back four years now, when I first joined here. I was an aspiring hacker, who after two years of failed attempts, decided a change in medium may be best. I switched over to RMXP, and that's where we are today. This is my third attempt at a Pokemon game, but by far my best. I've grown and learned from my past failures, and as a result now know what it truly takes to make a game.

I started developing Slate about a month ago, and have made pretty decent progress. I want to make this game stand out, and make people intrigued by it. To accomplish this, I took the route of custom where I felt I could handle by myself. So far the overworld base is custom made by me, as well as the majority of the indoor tiles. If I get help I plan on making all the tiles custom to completely make this game separate. But to do that I'll need help, which I'll get to later. For now, enjoy the thread.


Story


Cesro; a docile, peacful landmass in the northern hemisphere of the world. Here, humans and Pokemon live together harmoniously alongside each other, at times even coming to the others side for assistance. Pokemon battles are held for fun, but they're nothing serious. Because of this the trained Pokemon are not as strong as they would be in other regions with organized tournaments. This balance worked fine until one day, when a man tried to gain power over the land by trying to overthrow the Region's five leaders. He succeeded, but was quickly defeated by Legendary, who keeps watch over Cesro. Furious over his loss, the man retreats to an unknown place, and everything seems to be fine. A few days after the events unfolded, a small child is born in a small town in Cesro.

Sixteen years have passed since the stir up that brought Legendary to Cesro to calm it down. No other problems have been reported, except the Pokemon do seem more tense than usual. The young child is now sixteen and ready to begin their studies in Pokemon behavior. As is customary to entering this field, you(The child) go to the local institution to receive your first Pokemon. You are escorted outside to the terrarium select your first Pokemon, but are interrupted by a disturbance. A group of men in dark clothing have broken onto the institution and are ransacking the place, using Pokemon as accomplices! Rather than have you be subjected to these uncharacteristically violent events the lead supervisor of the building tells you to take cover in your house. A few hours later, he comes in and explains that the men made off with a lot of valuable research. You turn the T.V. on, only to see it broadcasting a man dressed similarly to the assailants, talking about a resurrection of destiny. Understanding the severity of the situation, you set off to find out more about these people and what their destiny is. But something is strange as you begin to venture; Pokemon are unusually aggressive and begin attacking you! Enraged, you go to find your father, a lead scientist in the field of Pokemon behavior, to find out why the normally quiet beings are so vicious. He theorizes that they understand that Cesro is in turmoil, and that until it is settled they won't stop acting as they are now. With that being said, you officially take it upon yourself to thwart their plans, whatever they may be.


Before setting off for good, a large shadow quickly flies over town, leaving everyone in a state of panic, fearing another attack. Looking up, you catch a glance of a Pokemon, but not enough to identify it. The supervisor mentions something about past, and then goes in to grab anything that remains in the rubble. Is it the Pokemon of legend, the protector of Cesro? No one knows for sure, but if it is, then that can only mean one thing. Something catastrophic is on the verge of happening, And you need to help prevent it. History is said to repeat itself when people fail to learn from previous errors, it's time to see if Cesro learned anything from the events that unfolded sixteen years ago.


Features


-A lush region full of life
-No dull redundant Gym battles- instead there's a new alternative
-Vivid involved storyline that will keep you coming back to play
-Unique starters
Speaking of which

The Starters




These are the official starters for Pokemon Slate. Why you may ask? I like both Pokemon, and these sprites are special(and scratch sprited by me). I'll reveal why in the next update, so for now you can look at them and try to speculate what's different and why.

Screenshots




The Team


Currently I'm the only one. If you're interested in helping, send me a private message with what you can do and proof of your work.

Credits


Poccil
Maruno
Spaceemotion
LTSeraa
AshinxsLaw
Help-14
Kid1513
Kymotonian
ChocoSrawloid
milomilotic11
Pokegirl4ever
cSc-A7X.
Warpas


hi my name is animegirl3000 i have never made a hack but im good with ideas for you to make an perfect hack
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.