Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page
DCC
EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2012 (07:21 AM).
Shining Raichu
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I have this one friend, lets call her Hester (because that is her actual name). I've seen a few movies with her, and she just picks every possible inconsistency apart until it's absolutely impossible to enjoy the movie. Every tiny little plothole, every wayward camera angle, every slightly illogical decision made by a character... I can't watch movies that way, they're meant to be enjoyed not torn apart. If you do that to decent movies, then when truly terrible ones like Wrath of the Titans or The Hottie and the Nottie come along, it makes them less special!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old August 27th, 2012 (12:29 PM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
I have this one friend, lets call her Hester (because that is her actual name). I've seen a few movies with her, and she just picks every possible inconsistency apart until it's absolutely impossible to enjoy the movie. Every tiny little plothole, every wayward camera angle, every slightly illogical decision made by a character... I can't watch movies that way, they're meant to be enjoyed not torn apart. If you do that to decent movies, then when truly terrible ones like Wrath of the Titans or The Hottie and the Nottie come along, it makes them less special!
You're just like a friend of mine. Let's call him Andy, because that'll be extra confusing. Andy doesn't like my nitpicking of movies and it makes him annoyed if I do even a little. But the thing is, I love to nitpick. Even the things I love I can nitpick at. I'm like the little kid to takes a toy apart to see how it works. It's one of the ways I get involved with a movie.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 27th, 2012 (01:47 PM).
Harley Quinn
Community Supporter

I have this friend. Let's call her, say, Harley, as that is her real name. She doesn't mind when people pick apart movies, as quite often Harley is one of those people, providing its a serious film. However, Harley finds it annoying when she has to put up with someone picking apart movies that are quite obviously a) absolutely terrible b) uncaring about the intricacies of the plot or the technicalities of the camera angles or whatever. That's when Harley goes a little bit crazy.
Old August 27th, 2012 (02:30 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
I don't have any friends in this situation, but I like to judge all films to a reasonable standard. If that means being slightly harsher on certain films with plot inconsistencies and poor characterisation, that doesn't mean that I hate films. But I don't do it out loud in either the cinema or at home. I like to keep those things to myself. :D
Old August 27th, 2012 (04:12 PM).
Cassino
The Old Gang

Nature: Serious
I don't have this one friend because I prefer to watch movies alone. Problem solved!
I have to wonder though, why would you see a movie with a friend? Like... there's no affirmative reason to do so unless you were going to pick it apart with them, or going to do other things before/afterward too.
Old August 27th, 2012 (06:24 PM).
Shining Raichu
Community Supporter

Seeing a movie with a friend is a social thing! I find I don't enjoy movies quite as much when I go and see them alone because if there's something funny, then you're just sitting there, laughing by yourself. I'd much prefer to have somebody to share the whole experience with.

That said, if I see a movie that I think will make me emotional (which has only happened like twice, the latter of which was last week when I went to see Bully) then I make sure I go alone because I don't like being emotional or crying around other people.

Old August 28th, 2012 (09:59 AM).
Esper

I like being with friends so I see movies with friends because it saves time. If we both saw a movie separately that'd be a few hours we wouldn't have together. Plus I'd miss all the good jokes my friends make, which are always better when they're spontaneous.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 29th, 2012 (08:12 PM).
Shining Raichu
Community Supporter

Everybody's gonna start hating me for bringing Joss Whedon up so much, but I am so retardedly excited I don't know what to do with myself.

Old August 29th, 2012 (10:10 PM).
awolfsquared
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I'm not hating cause I had no idea who Joss Whedon was until I read that article.

I have yet to see The Avengers, but S.H.I.E.L.D sounds interesting.
Old August 30th, 2012 (10:40 AM).
Esper

Everybody's gonna start hating me for bringing Joss Whedon up so much, but I am so retardedly excited I don't know what to do with myself.
Okay, couple questions come to mind.

1. Will Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, etc. be in this anywhere, or would their characters be recast, if they show up at all? BECAUSE THEY SHOULD TOTALLY BE IN IT

2. Will Avengers 2 get pushed back because he's writing/directing/etc. this new series?

deviantart blog pair
Old August 30th, 2012 (07:08 PM).
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
Awesome. That'll be a sweet series.

Right now, I'm listen to Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks.
Old August 31st, 2012 (04:38 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

That series sounds like a good idea, it might get boring eventually though because there's only so much you can do with superheroes.

I also doubt the stars of the film are going to be as interested in a television series.
Old August 31st, 2012 (07:33 AM).
Shining Raichu
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
Okay, couple questions come to mind.

1. Will Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, etc. be in this anywhere, or would their characters be recast, if they show up at all? BECAUSE THEY SHOULD TOTALLY BE IN IT

2. Will Avengers 2 get pushed back because he's writing/directing/etc. this new series?

1. No, I shouldn't think so, not as regular cast members. As Nuke said, they're all big-time film stars, not TV stars. S.H.I.E.L.D (God, that's a tiring word to type) would be a huge organisation, so you could probably do a show without even needing to mention the name Nick Fury. Though I'm very excited because I see lots of potential for guest appearances by Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner and especially Cobie Smulders!

They couldn't recast them either, because I'm thinking it'd have to try and keep some semblance of continuity with the movie franchise.

2. No, the release date for The Avengers 2 has already been set at May 1st, 2015. As Joss put it himself in this interview:

Quote originally posted by The Greatest Man Alive:
What’s great is that the deal with Marvel is nonspecific, so I will give all I can, but the moment I can’t, I just walk away. The moment I say, “You know, I’d like to help more on this project, but I need this time for The Avengers,” there’s no obligation. It’s not like, “You must spend this amount of time on this movie.” It’s as much as it needs to be.

Old August 31st, 2012 (10:53 AM).
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
Hm, this show could be really interesting. I could see it being REALLY bad if it's not well made, but I mean it is Joss Whedon so...
Old August 31st, 2012 (12:45 PM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by Nuke:
That series sounds like a good idea, it might get boring eventually though because there's only so much you can do with superheroes.

I also doubt the stars of the film are going to be as interested in a television series.
I think this could work because SHIELD is just a group of... soldiers and agents and other 'normal' people and you wouldn't necessarily have superheroes showing up much, right? It could be more of an action/spy/police/political type of show.

And I wouldn't think the movie stars would be regulars, but could maybe do guest appearances as their characters since everything would (conceivably) be contained in one universe.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 31st, 2012 (06:12 PM).
Harley Quinn
Community Supporter

I don't think Samuel Jackson would appear very often in the series, if at all. Maybe a cameo in the pilot or just a couple of pre-recorded scenes every now and then, but I'd imagine it would be about a whole different group of people within S.H.I.E.L.D? Though, Cobie Smulders might have a strong role in the show! It would be hard to lure her away from How I Met Your Mother but still, she'd be good to have around.
Old September 1st, 2012 (05:11 AM).
shenanigans
majora

So I've rediscovered Hot Chip with their newest album, In Our Heads, and I'm loving it. Anyone know something similar to this kinda stuff?

Look At Where We Are is pretty damn tacky and stuff but I like it and Motion Sickness is just awesome imo. There's probably better on the album but I've not actually gone through all of it yet.

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
Old September 2nd, 2012 (04:51 AM).
Shining Raichu
Community Supporter

I'm actually getting more and more excited for the prospect of Cobie Smulders by the minute. Realistically, How I Met Your Mother is getting a little long in the tooth. Jason Segel has already said that the eighth season (which they are currently moving into) will be his last, so I'm not sure that they'd even continue on without him and if they did it wouldn't be for long. So if HIMYM finishes this season, she could move straight into S.H.I.E.L.D for next Season if she so desires.

And even if there is some overlap, she could start out as a guest star and become a series regular later!

Old September 2nd, 2012 (09:28 AM).
Esper

Man, everyone is talking about this Smoothers Smulders person like she's famous and I had no idea who she was and had to look her up.

And, not at all related, but I finally figured out who Jimmy Stewart is. All those old movie stars I know the names of get mixed in my head pretty easily and if you mention "Grace Kelly" or "Humphrey Bogart" all that comes up in my head is a blurry black-and-white image with the subtitle "old movie star" and nothing else, but now I know that Stewart is the one with the funny voice. But, boy does it still amaze me that people can differentiate old actors when they all had to act similarly and dress similarly and there was just less variety of roles in Hollywood movies.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 2nd, 2012 (12:20 PM).
Thomas
HAIL HYDRA!
Community Supporter

I think that if they wrap up HIMYM this season (unlikely) then she has a chance to really be a main character in the show. I think that if they need Nick Fury to be a main part of the show, they will have to recast him or they will have to set in a universe other than the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Truthfully, I'm not so sure about this show at all. I'd rather Joss create another original...but I guess if one of his show is back on TV...SHIELD will be good enough for me.
Old September 2nd, 2012 (02:56 PM).
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
Well it's your opinion... I'll try it and tell you what I thought of it. Opinions about SAO are very divided, so I wonder if I will be among the people that loved it or didn't

Anyway. The most recent animé I've watched was Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou. A funny anime. I'm not used to this kind of animé, where you don't have an awesome scenario and else. The jokes are sometimes stupid, but how effective... I was ashamed, laughing rolf alone in front of the computer. Ah, that's an anime that put you in a good mood. If you want to smile and don't want to get worked up with complicated scenarios and else, go for it.

Old September 2nd, 2012 (05:07 PM).
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
I'm looking for something that sounds like Cascada. Anyone got recommendations?

I'm also looking for some recommendations for good music in general. Anything except for Rap/Hip-hop or dubstep.
Old September 2nd, 2012 (07:05 PM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Yes! Nichibros was great. Comedy style was very reminiscent of Gintama in places, considering Gintama is mega fun times that's certainly not a bad thing.
Old September 2nd, 2012 (09:47 PM).
Shining Raichu
Community Supporter

Man, everyone is talking about this Smoothers Smulders person like she's famous and I had no idea who she was and had to look her up.
Yeah, 'Cobie Smulders' isn't exactly a name you expect to see up in lights lol. Even when we left our first screening of The Avengers, I was talking about Maria Hill and my friend asked me who the hell I was talking about and I replied "the one played by Robin Scherbatsky".

Quote originally posted by Thomas:
Truthfully, I'm not so sure about this show at all. I'd rather Joss create another original...but I guess if one of his show is back on TV...SHIELD will be good enough for me.
It will be original though, won't it? I mean, it'll feature characters that Joss didn't create, but there has never actually been a show or a comic or movie or anything like that which is actually about S.H.I.E.L.D, has there? They were just sort of always in the background of the super hero stores, as far as I understand it. It's certainly original enough for me!

He makes characters original anyway, even if they weren't originally his - as evidenced by the transformation of Black Widow from the two-dimensional killbot she was in Iron Man 2 to the fully-fledged character she became in The Avengers.

But, boy does it still amaze me that people can differentiate old actors when they all had to act similarly and dress similarly and there was just less variety of roles in Hollywood movies.
I honestly for the life of me cannot figure out why they call that the 'golden age of Hollywood'. Not one of those actors (Hepburn included, sorry Harlequin) would survive a day in the modern world of real acting through which Meryl Streep glides with relative ease.

Old September 3rd, 2012 (06:54 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

I think this could work because SHIELD is just a group of... soldiers and agents and other 'normal' people and you wouldn't necessarily have superheroes showing up much, right? It could be more of an action/spy/police/political type of show.

And I wouldn't think the movie stars would be regulars, but could maybe do guest appearances as their characters since everything would (conceivably) be contained in one universe.
I didn't think of it like that, but yeah that makes it sound like a much better idea. As long as it wouldn't conflict with HIMYM, it would be great to have 'Robin' in it.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links