The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:38 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia

Advertise here
First Map of the Quarter - 2012

Introduction:

As was pointed out in the introduction of the Hack of the Quarter thread, the unfortunate discontinuation of Hack of the Month left the Emulation section with very few - Well, virtually no events to bring about community participation. This is the second in a series of new events being introduced: Welcome to the first official Map of the Quarter!

Much like Map of the Month back in the depths of 2009, this competition gives people the opportunity to post maps they have made to show off their skills. To keep things interesting, there will be a theme each quarter to base your map on. Aside from adhering to the theme, your map can be set anywhere and be composed of anything. The winner will recieve an emblem to signify their great mapping abilities, because... That's about all that can be offered other than pride and bragging rights.

The submission window will remain open for 21 days, at which point this thread will be closed and three maps will be chosen by DrFuji and myself. These maps will be posted in a judging thread where there will be a poll to vote for your favourite map.

Next month will be the debut of the 'irregular' competition which will allow you to compete in a variety of competitions that differ from quarter to quarter - If you have any interesting ideas to help fill this slot then don't hesitate to contact us. Check out what this month's theme is and get mapping!

This Quarter's Theme:

Create a map where a waterfall is a central feature.

Rules:
  • You may only submit one map per competition.
  • When submitting a map, please do so in spoiler tags, or in the form of a link. This is to prevent the possibility of unintended screen stretching due to particularly large maps.
  • Give credits to the makers of any tiles or tools used.
  • No complaining if your map wasn't chosen as one of the final few.
  • This thread is for map submissions and contest related questions only - Any posts not containing either will be deleted.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.

Last edited by giradialkia; September 1st, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM
PokeBunny
Pokemon Game Maker

Nature: Serious
cool i can do hgss pokemon burning gold map from falls. can I? or is it not mine?
dont infract me! i was only looking for pokemon infinity (cause of graphics)

The Pokemon Game Developer
If you are wondering why I'm taking long to make Pokemon Hot Red and Cold Blue... It's because I barely get computer time. Be patient (I'm not!.

My SoundCloud!!!!!!!!!
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeBunny View Post
cool i can do hgss pokemon burning gold map from falls. can I? or is it not mine?
dont infract me! i was only looking for pokemon infinity (cause of graphics)
I don't really understand what you're saying, but are you asking if you can enter a map from somebody else's game? If this is the case then the answer is no.

The map that you enter into this contest must be completely original and any instances of intentional theft may result in a warning or infraction as per the Hacks Showcase Rules.
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

In fact, it seems that he's asking about using a map from HG/SS. I guess I'll ask a related question. If someone has a ROMhack of an original game (let's use Liquid Crystal as an example) and a completed map of an area meant to mimic the original, would that still count as someone else's original map since the inspiration and original layout came from that game? Or does it in fact count as your own map if you redid it in your hack with new graphics, new changes to the layout, etc.?

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old September 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

It's fine to submit a map that's a revamp/version of an existing Nintendo map. Of course it's not really okay to take a map from someone else's hack and remap it with different tiles, since that'd be the same as copying someone's essay and changing the wording a bit. So it's all right to revamp Nintendo maps, but not those made by other hackers.

To be honest, complete originality is preferred, but you can remap Nintendo maps if you want.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
I feel like this should be stickied in ROM Hacking, not in Hacks Showcase. Since, you know, the Map Rating thread is there.
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I think the idea is that the maps that will get voted on are mostly in these hacks, but I also see your point. Perhaps an announcement in ROM hacking linking here?

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old September 8th, 2012, 03:10 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
I feel like this should be stickied in ROM Hacking, not in Hacks Showcase. Since, you know, the Map Rating thread is there.
We chose to sticky the thread here because it was more consistent with previous threads than for any other reason. Map of the Month threads were posted in the Showcase and keeping every monthly thread in the same forum is preferable to changing around the location. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have MotQ in ROM Hacking, but moving it because Rating/ Review is there isn't as appealing as keeping a nice consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I think the idea is that the maps that will get voted on are mostly in these hacks, but I also see your point. Perhaps an announcement in ROM hacking linking here?

Cyclone
In previous mapping competitions (MotM, Get Togethers etc) the majority of maps entered were made specifically for the contest rather than entering maps from already established games. An announcement wouldn't really be necessary considering the closeness of the forums and how hacking members aren't known for exclusively belonging to specific sub-forums within Emulation.

Thanks for your suggestions Darth and Cyclone :)
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:01 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

No, really, this should be in ROM Hacking. Hacks Showcase should only be for... hacks being showcased. Contests should have never been held here in the first place. ROM Hacking is best because it is the only forum general enough to allow a contest, and I think it'll recieve the most attention there.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Okay, well I guess I'm the only person so far. I actually think this contest could be fun. My map is sorta based off the route to Zora's Domain in Zelda OoT.

Credits: WesleyFG/Game Freak for tiles and palettes.

It's an attachment so you can enlarge it more.
Attached Images
File Type: png ContestMap1.png‎ (182.7 KB, 130 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Is that one single area, or two? That's huge!

Cyclone

Old September 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Alignment
Revered with the stars

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Okay, well I guess I'm the only person so far. I actually think this contest could be fun. My map is sorta based off the route to Zora's Domain in Zelda OoT.

Credits: WesleyFG/Game Freak for tiles and palettes.

It's an attachment so you can enlarge it more.

Hey that actually seems pretty thought out!

Assuming the player doesn't have surf the first time around, it would suck the wrong way initially (unless they both lead to the same place ;o ). I can imagine having to go back all the way up then around back down. Cool map concept nonetheless. Often people don't design their maps for more than one trip.

I am allowed to give my comments on maps that are posted I assume :D?
Doesn't matter about the map, he'll probably win by default anyways.
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:09 AM
PokemonGiratinaX
Will be always PGX

Nature: Modest
This is my first Mini-Map, so you can critics and comment this map.
The map is in the attachment.

Credit:
- WeaslyFG - His tiles and Pallete
Attached Images
File Type: png Map.png‎ (40.0 KB, 93 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:53 PM
skylarmt

Here's mine. I made it in Advance Map, with a Ruby tileset.
I was not going for a playable map, more of an art project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterfallzone.jpg‎ (42.4 KB, 74 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Ach7AC
Mime Jr.

Syracuse Falls, not my best work, but here it is.
Credit to Kyledove for the tiles.
Do I need to spoiler it, even if my map doesn't stretch the page?
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Another nice and huge area! I'm surprised we don't have crashing with areas this big; what's the biggest area in an official game? Route 47 in SoulSilver comes to mind and that was also a nice waterfall map. Wish we could climb the waterfall and head downstream from there in 48.

Cyclone

Old September 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Just to bump this up and let you guys know that there's about 12 hours left before the submission window closes, so be sure to get your maps in on time! :)

EDIT: Well, there we go. Instead of 12 hours, about 21 hours actually passed, so.. yeah, the submission window is now closed. Expect the voting thread to come shortly! :)

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

Last edited by giradialkia; September 21st, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM
RedFan
Master Trainer

Well here's my map too.

Credits: Gamefreak - Fire Red Rom
Neti - Tiles from his rombase.

Spoiler:

Sponsored Links

Advertise here