The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:59 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakow View Post

The point in trolling is to have a laugh. Like pranks, it is usually at the expense of someone else. When I go to troll someone I do it because I want to get a laugh out of it.
So in that sense, Socrates was a major troll.

I think the only acceptable form of trolling is when a philosophical question is involved. Trolling just to make people mad is unnecessary, but with a question not only do you get to have fun, you're helping them become a better person too.

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
I'd just like to point out that this years April Fools prank on PC was essentially trolling every user who is registered on the forum. A lot of people got upset that day and genuinely thought the forum might go under. I didn't, because I'm always skeptical of that kind of stuff around April Fools. But still, a lot of people were very angry and frustrated.

And that was set up by the staff of this forum.

Just sayin'.......
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
shenanigans
ALL NEON LIKE
Staff Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto_Johto View Post
I'd just like to point out that this years April Fools prank on PC was essentially trolling every user who is registered on the forum. A lot of people got upset that day and genuinely thought the forum might go under. I didn't, because I'm always skeptical of that kind of stuff around April Fools. But still, a lot of people were very angry and frustrated.

And that was set up by the staff of this forum.

Just sayin'.......
I was in a conversation with some other staff about this earlier! In general it seems the opinion was that we miiiiight have gone a little bit far there lol, although mostly it was taken fairly well and people who were really pissed off by it got over it fairly fast - I think I remember one or two who didn't? Even though that is one or two too many, but still, it wasn't all that bad in the end. But even still yeah I think we went a bit far towards the end.

Although the point of April Fools everywhere, not just on PC, is essentially to troll people.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
If your goal isn't to piss off or upset the other person, then it's not trolling. It's as simple as that. That's the definition of trolling: attempting to get someone angry because it's amusing to you. If it's a laugh for the other person, then it's not a troll.

'Hoy, small fry!
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I don't approve at having a laugh at someone's expense which is why I don't approve of trolling in general. It was so bad on some places I've been that's it's caused me to quit those places. I think if it's going to cause people to leave that's not fun, it's crossing the line.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
I agree that if the trolling genuinely upsets or hurts someone, then it isn't right.

For example, trolling people into doing things that can seriously hurt them (physically or psychologically) is outright disgusting and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
I was in a conversation with some other staff about this earlier! In general it seems the opinion was that we miiiiight have gone a little bit far there lol, although mostly it was taken fairly well and people who were really pissed off by it got over it fairly fast - I think I remember one or two who didn't? Even though that is one or two too many, but still, it wasn't all that bad in the end. But even still yeah I think we went a bit far towards the end.

Although the point of April Fools everywhere, not just on PC, is essentially to troll people.
It didn't get to me that much, since like I said, I was skeptical as soon as I saw it all.

And yeah, it may have been April Fools, but at the end of the day, trolling is trolling. As soon as it was all revealed to be false, the first thing I thought to myself was "since when does Pokecommunity promote trolling?", since I thought PC as very anti-trolling (and rightfully so).

Not that it bothered me. I actually found some of the threads in the "staff lounge" pretty funny (since I assumed it was a massive wind up anyways).

Last edited by Kanto_Johto; September 7th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
If your goal isn't to piss off or upset the other person, then it's not trolling. It's as simple as that. That's the definition of trolling: attempting to get someone angry because it's amusing to you. If it's a laugh for the other person, then it's not a troll.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I'd consider everything else with good intentions pranking someone or joking around, not trolling.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old September 7th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post

That's not trolling, hun. That's called payback.
It can be called that, but I like to think of it as "counter-trolling." Even if I don't succeed in pissing said troll off, I succeed in making them look stupid. To put it bluntly, there's nothing I hate more than a bad troll, but it doesn't make me angry. It makes me a bit happy because I see one person I could potentially **** with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
I don't approve at having a laugh at someone's expense which is why I don't approve of trolling in general. It was so bad on some places I've been that's it's caused me to quit those places. I think if it's going to cause people to leave that's not fun, it's crossing the line.
Depends on who the "targets" are... If it's people that deserve it, then I'm perfectly fine, and it's hilarious when about 5 people gang up on that one person attempting to troll (this happens a lot on Gearbox Forums, but I don't take part in it as much as before, it's still funny to read). Think of it as a bully on the playground getting his ass handed to him in front of the entire school. Yeah. You know, that one bully that thinks he's the best. Except there are people better and more experienced than him.

If it's just "troll everyone and anyone" then I don't approve... That's just being an *******. For no reason. Nothing more. I can go on a forum and I might get some friendly remarks, and I might get a bunch of people who have clearly woken up on the wrong side of the bed trying to piss me off.

Last edited by Ice Car; September 7th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I just don't think anyone really deserves trolling.
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
No, not really. Trolling shouldn't ever happen yet it does, strangely.
So, anybody here like tennis? I've been crazed about the US Open for the past little while, and I want to know if theres anyone else out there who actually cares at all about tennis. >.<
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Trolling has always existed unfortunately. Long before the term was coined... The internet just made it easier to do because of the anonymity it provides... Now you can be an ******* to people and chances are you'll never have to worry about it coming back to bite you in the ass in real life (as in getting your ass kicked, which realistically would happen if done IRL)
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Trolling is just idiotic, and in my opinion, it shows the person is an immature moron who has nothing better to do. Get an effing hobby.

Sorry, really mad right now. This is why. Partially.
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
So, anybody here like tennis? I've been crazed about the US Open for the past little while, and I want to know if theres anyone else out there who actually cares at all about tennis. >.<
I like the junior women's champion! :3

'Hoy, small fry!
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:43 PM
littlebrother

Nature: Serious
I mess with people occasionally, especially on Youtube where horrible jokes are overused and people are about as interesting as a bag of ripe onions (this means they're not interesting). The only reason I'd mess with someone is if they annoy or bore me. It's probably nicer just to tell the person that they're annoying or boring you, but it's a really weird thing to say to them, and could be taken as disrespectful by some people too. So I just mess with them instead.

Uh, tennis. It's been a while since I've actually focused on it. lol It's an intense sport and would be a lot of fun to watch, but I haven't kept up with it for the past 4 or so years.

Everyone knows that the internet is managed by millions of tiny gnomes and
goblins working in sweatshops in Africa and Eastern Europe. Do you really
want to encourage that by staying on here all day?

Why not stay up all night to get lucky instead?
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
I have mixed feelings when it comes to trolling; most of the time I find something to read that gives me a good laugh, but other times people tend to cross the line and I think, "Well, way to be a douche..." Eh, it's just one of those things that you just have to live with - unless you quit the internet, or something.

As for tennis, I prefer Wii Sports tennis. c: I mean, real tennis is fun sometimes, but I just like playing it on the Wii more. XD

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Abba
A Whiz With a Cricket Bat

Nature: Adamant
This is the internet. Not the nicest of places. Trolls exist on just about every website that it is possible to have them on. If trolling upsets you in any meaningful way, you shouldn't internet.
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadon View Post
This is the internet. Not the nicest of places. Trolls exist on just about every website that it is possible to have them on. If trolling upsets you in any meaningful way, you shouldn't internet.
But then the troll 'wins'.

Usually just get in touch with a site admin or something if someone is harassing you and they'll probably deal with the problem. If not, then you should probably just leave the site - but you don't have to leave the internet entirely lol.

For example there was this one time where I threw a comment jokingly at Toujours but she took it the wrong way and then contacted Captain Fabio - a super moderator - who then contacted me and explained things out and then I sent an apology to her and now as per her request, I keep away from her. Problem solved.
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Abba
A Whiz With a Cricket Bat

Yeah, I guess your way works too. Fair enough.
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Trolls are an issue because we feed them. In other words, we let them get to us. If we just ignore them, we'll be a okay. Obviously this is if you're on a site like Youtube. On a forum, the troll gets an infraction. :3 (Post wise)
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

You're using that term wrong!

It's like... A-O-K!

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper

It took me a couple of seconds to figure out what the hell you were talking about Andy LOL.

Never did understand why there were two variations of the word okay. OK seems dumb. It's like someone messed up writing "What a KO!" and wrote "What a OK!" Then he looked at the paper and went "OK, that was stupid. HAH PUN" And from there on, the word OK was born.
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
Sorry, really mad right now. This is why. Partially.
Are you mad because students were cheating, or that students are being suspended?

deviantart blog pair
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
I was never good at destroying planets, all I wanted was to make wooden reindeer.

Spoiler:

One piece at a time.
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Are you mad because students were cheating, or that students are being suspended?
Crap, I blogged my response by accident

Neither actually. I'm mad because of how this incident caused some radical changes in the school, my school.

Example: Before, students were allowed to use laptops and tablets within the classroom and in the halls. Not anymore, they can be confiscated when seen. But the rules doesn't exist cause it's effective in reducing cheating, but because it makes it seem as if the school's actually doing something.

Not sure if that last bit made sense.
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
Crap, I blogged my response by accident

Neither actually. I'm mad because of how this incident caused some radical changes in the school, my school.

Example: Before, students were allowed to use laptops and tablets within the classroom and in the halls. Not anymore, they can be confiscated when seen. But the rules doesn't exist cause it's effective in reducing cheating, but because it makes it seem as if the school's actually doing something.

Not sure if that last bit made sense.
So... they're not letting you use computers and stuff because it makes them look like they're being tough on cheating?

I can understand that during tests or the middle of lectures, but like, on your own time? That'd be... ridiculous.

deviantart blog pair
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here