• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

What do you expect out of other hacks?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Hey guys, I've been hacking my ROM for a few months now, and it's been going pretty well, but lately I've been looking at some videos of other hacks that have been around for a while, and compared to mine, they just seem so much better, but then I thought it might just be a matter of opinion.
So I wanted to know what you guys expect to be in a well done hack. I don't really have much of an opinion myself, just because I haven't been doing this for too long just yet, but I have enjoyed the custom tilesets, and when there are several scripted events that force you to stay in a city until you complete them.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
I don't really "expect" anything but creativity and imagination. I like unique. I can understand how you feel, but remember, everybody does things differently, and also, it's natural to feel a bit...shall we say, selfconscious...of your hack. Everyone does. Just do what you want, and don't worry about what the community is going to think. They'll (for the most part) give you constructive criticism on how to improve, but they'll never be against unique ideas. You can't compare hacks, it just doesn't work, they're all so different.
If you like several scripting events that force you to stay in a city, then go for it. If you like custom tiles, go for it. Make your hack however you want, it's yours, you have complete control over it.

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
Years
You probably know it, but DEFINITELY 100% QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. Any hack is fine in terms of storyline and tiles etc, but if it is rushed (has terrible scripts and mapping), then it's not going to cut it in my opinion.

Also, spelling/grammar errors make bubbles form in the corner of my mouth, they take all attention away from the hack itself and make me think: "Is this going to be fixed?" and kind of ruin gameplay for me. Simple things like: "it's" used when it should be "its" are fine, and understandable :P

Finally, commitment. Wesley's Light Platinum and Manipulation's Sienna must have taken a good couple of years to make. If people work on a hack for several months and cancel it for reasons like: "cant be bothered anymore" it disappoints me because most of the time they were so good!

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Just add Fakemon, new tiles, and sprites to Ruby or FireRed and you'll be good.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Out of other hacks, I expect to see either slight improvements, levels changed, different effects or perhaps new music in the game. As long as it's not something that is considered laziness, then that's fine.

I might consider adding Assembly effects too, but it's not really essential. :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I don't really "expect" anything but creativity and imagination. I like unique. I can understand how you feel, but remember, everybody does things differently, and also, it's natural to feel a bit...shall we say, selfconscious...of your hack. Everyone does. Just do what you want, and don't worry about what the community is going to think. They'll (for the most part) give you constructive criticism on how to improve, but they'll never be against unique ideas. You can't compare hacks, it just doesn't work, they're all so different.
If you like several scripting events that force you to stay in a city, then go for it. If you like custom tiles, go for it. Make your hack however you want, it's yours, you have complete control over it.

Well, thank you, I'm glad to know there are certain ways to feel about it! For mine, I was changing the maps, somewhat, and giving myself a complete storyline, but after seeing a few demos, I do want to try and make my own tilesets, like just different colors of green for grass, and those see through water tiles make things look so much better. Also, I've thought about making my game a bit more "crowded", because the seems a bit nicer when you're just surrounded by all kinds of different things. My maps have been a bit too clean.

You probably know it, but DEFINITELY 100% QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. Any hack is fine in terms of storyline and tiles etc, but if it is rushed (has terrible scripts and mapping), then it's not going to cut it in my opinion.

Also, spelling/grammar errors make bubbles form in the corner of my mouth, they take all attention away from the hack itself and make me think: "Is this going to be fixed?" and kind of ruin gameplay for me. Simple things like: "it's" used when it should be "its" are fine, and understandable :P

Finally, commitment. Wesley's Light Platinum and Manipulation's Sienna must have taken a good couple of years to make. If people work on a hack for several months and cancel it for reasons like: "cant be bothered anymore" it disappoints me because most of the time they were so good!

Yeah, I try to make sure there aren't any spelling mistakes in my game, because it drives me crazy too, haha.
See, I made a demo for my game in about a month, after actually learning how to use everything, and I feel like I'm rushing, but I'm actually getting done what I planned, so it's not rushed, but what that is making me realize is that since I am getting it done so fast, there may not be enough in it to keep the player interested, because in my game, the REAL story doesn't start until after the Pokemon League, so I have to keep the player interested by using mini stories until then.
I'm afraid I'll give up on it, which is why I work on it every day, because this is something I've wanted to be able to do since I was a little kid (not hack, but make my own Pokemon game, same difference) so I'm excited to see it completed!

Last edited:

The_Show

Banned
Years
I expect decent gameplay. By that, I mean that I shouldn't have to GRIND my pokemon 10 levels before moving on. However, it shouldn't be too easy either. Plus I like to see new sprites for people, which gives it originality.

Now, if someone is trying to make a game that everyone will fall in love with, I strongly suggest new tiles, a new world map, and a good storyline. Music could also be added for extra effect :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I expect decent gameplay. By that, I mean that I shouldn't have to GRIND my pokemon 10 levels before moving on. However, it shouldn't be too easy either. Plus I like to see new sprites for people, which gives it originality.

Now, if someone is trying to make a game that everyone will fall in love with, I strongly suggest new tiles, a new world map, and a good storyline. Music could also be added for extra effect :)

For me, I always make sure the wild pkmn are weaker than you, the trainers are just as strong, and the leaders are always stronger. But if I ever have a time in the game where the player has to grind intensely, I've decided to give them an opportunity to train, like some kind of extra mission where they get something, so it doesn't seem like they're just grinding.

That's the part that leaves me a bit stuck, because my game is a continuation, taking place in the future kanto region, so I'm somewhat limited as far as new maps and region, but I am adding a lot of new features as far as places to go. I am planning another hack of ruby after I finish this FR one, where it'll be completely my own region. ^^

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Just add Fakemon, new tiles, and sprites to Ruby or FireRed and you'll be good.
This is a good example of what you should avoid with your own hack; relying on aesthetics only.

But honestly, I don't know what to expect of a good hack. Maybe that's because a well-made hack is one that will surprise me.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
This is a good example of what you should avoid with your own hack; relying on aesthetics only.

But honestly, I don't know what to expect of a good hack. Maybe that's because a well-made hack is one that will surprise me.
Yeah, I think there's nothing wrong with having those things, but someone can't simply add those to the game and make it good. I have all of that in my game,, well, other than the tiles for now...but I'm also trying very hard to give my story a very nice, surprise ending. Although, people always tend to be smarter than I planned, and can see through any surprises I may have coming, so hopefully this is the one time I do it right, haha.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I like simple hacks, like the ones in Sideshow Showcase. Mostly because I'm not too fond of new regions ^^' It's strange, but I'm like that.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
I've come to the conclusion that the things I make aren't as bad as I think they are, I'm really just expecting more out of the hack I'm making than I could possibly do.

Pinta77

If an impressive story isnt there, then I excpect fakemon, nice tiles, nice sprites, mew music, or something to get my attention.

.parado✗

paranormal user
Years
I think that all games need a Story.
You can be the best Spriter, best Scriper, best Mapper..
Without a good Story I dont enjoy hacks :)

VoltraK

Not Beginning Trainer
Years
I don't care if there's different tiles or music.

All it needs is a good map, good grammar, an at least an ok story.

As for story, I don't mind if you use the Dark Team/Foil The Plot story, that's fine.

I think 4th/5th gen pokemon in a 3rd gen hack is a great addition, 8ut I think that's only optional.

Fakemon are only accepta8le if they don't look cheesy

Back