The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
Fortunado
Prof. Hemlock is busy now...

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
UNLZ isn't helpful in checking if you inserted a trainer into free space, as it doesn't show these new images. One way is to perhaps go to the offset you used for the sprite using a very similar tool called NLZ (NOT UNLZ), and see if the sprite is there correctly, or script (or copy a script of) a trainer event that uses that sprite to the start map and see if it works.
To test it, I simply took the trainer sprite used for your rival and replaced it with my test sprite. It failed miserably. It was a giant gray square with the sprite inside. =.=
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunado View Post
To test it, I simply took the trainer sprite used for your rival and replaced it with my test sprite. It failed miserably. It was a giant gray square with the sprite inside. =.=
That means you indexed it, but the background wasn't selected as the background colour. Which is just an indexing error - using Irfanview and saving it as a gif after indexing, and checking the box when asked what to save it as that says "select transparent color" and picking the background when asked should make the background see through when you reinsert it.

OR find your pallette in APE, move the colour that is transparent with the one that is the background, reinsert the sprite exactly, replacing the offset you used for the last sprite, but without inserting the pallette.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Fortunado
Prof. Hemlock is busy now...

Nature: Lax
Quote:
That means you indexed it, but the background wasn't selected as the background colour. Which is just an indexing error - using Irfanview and saving it as a gif after indexing, and checking the box when asked what to save it as that says "select transparent color" and picking the background when asked should make the background see through when you reinsert it.

OR find your pallette in APE, move the colour that is transparent with the one that is the background, reinsert the sprite exactly, replacing the offset you used for the last sprite, but without inserting the pallette.
Can't you only insert .png files?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:36 AM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunado View Post
Can't you only insert .png files?
I think you can also insert .gifs, as long as they are indexed. When Importing a File, make sure the search is for All Files, not just pngs.

EDIT: No, I'm wrong. But you can pick a transparent colour with Irfanview if you select to save as a png.

EDIT2: Actually, I was right. But yeah, you can do it with a png too.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Last edited by Banjora Marxvile; August 2nd, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hackmon
Complete Yognaut

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Did you use the Decrease Colour Depth option to make it only use 16 colours, like you are meant to? If you did, did you open it with Paint afterwards, as that sometimes unindexes the sprite.
yes I did open it with paint afterwards but what am I supposed to do to get a sprite looking normal?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackmon View Post
yes I did open it with paint afterwards but what am I supposed to do to get a sprite looking normal?
Do all the necessary edits, then index it (without the dithering option), and it should be fairly normal. Or, use a program like GIMP to edit and index it at the same time.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:40 AM
psyxe
Cubone Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maco View Post
There are guides for using IrfanView, and I linked to them in case people didn't have Photoshop. But if you're serious about pixel art and mapping you should probably have a copy anyway.
how.. exactly does pixel art = Photoshop?
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evilade

Well, this is indeed very helpful to me, especially for indexing. But, I am experiencing some trouble, in the way that when I attempt to import I am told the sprite is unindexed.

(EDIT: Do disregard everything below, I did some reading and porkiewpyne had the exact same problem as me, but he found the solution)

I believe I have correctly followed your Irfan tutorial, and I was able to lower the pallet to 16 and then rearrange the two necessary colours, resulting in a similar and somewhat broken image. It seems that when I paste the unindexed image over the indexed one in Paint (Windows 7) it also carries over properties such as... well, not being indexed. Actually I think I can test this theory...

Okay, I tried again. I lowered to 16 and went about that colour swapping business, and then I closed and reopened in Irfan. The box for 2 (black and white) is now ticked, as apposed to what I ticked (16). I can only assume this is normal behaviour.
Then, I pasted my unindexed sprite over it (in Paint), and checked again in Irfan - now the box for 256 is ticked. This seems to be my problem.

I imagine there is some thing I am doing wrong, something easily fixable to be quite honest XD I do have a habit of buggering up the simplest of things.

Some information that may also be of relevance and use is that I am trying to replace Lickitung with a Mew sprite that has been edited intentionally badly to be wearing a top hat, amongst other accessories (The hat is drawn in a colour that is actually used by the original sprite, I am definitely under 16 colours). In Ruby version. I dislike Lickitung. Intensely. Top hats are cool and so is Mew.

I understand that is a lot to read, and that most of it is unnecessary drivel. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Evilade; September 1st, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old August 31st, 2011, 02:04 PM
jvpski3
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Relaxed
Yeah, it's pretty good. Thank you, I need ALOT of help with tile editing/graphics. Thank you. D-trough was nice ENOUGH to be dead, so no more for him I AM SO ****ING SAD!!!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
jojo1250
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quiet
whenever i try to point my new image to a new offset if it is too big, the pallete changes but the image doesnt. what should i do? or what did i do wrong?
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM
StaryuManiac
Beginning Trainer

...I'm using firered.
I followed all methods shown...

I tried to replace Gary Oak (1607 in unlzgba for me) with a sprite of Neru Akita I made. 16 colors, everything's good.

All I see is Gary with Neru's pallette when I come back. I don't know how to fix it.

Also my version of Unlzgba is different than yours, I have the check box "auto abort if new data is bigger"
Is mine older? it came with elitemap.

Do you need images?
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:15 PM
razorbl
Beginning Trainer

Sorry to revive\make yet ANOTHER question, but I would greatly appreciate if somebody could help me:

The tutorial helps a lot, and I managed to actually insert some sprites in my Pokemon Ruby (U) Rom, Treecko and it's evolutions to be precise. However, a weird "glitch" happens:

The "Front" sprite and the "Back" sprite seems to mess with each other!

Basically, when I go to Treecko Front Sprite and swap it (965 and palette 770), I can see the swapped front sprite (The one used in summary) in-game perfectly but the "back" sprite (The one used in battle) is completely "messed up" (Wrong colors).

And guess what? When I try to swap the "Back" sprite on unLZ in an attempt to fix the problem, the "front" sprite become "messed up".
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
ZpAnish
Ex-Con

Nature: Quirky
I have been enlightened. Greatly detailed tutorial, thanks man :D

Old March 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM
someone from tk 6D
Beginning Trainer

Regarding how to edit the charizard, search for dawnryders tut in the tutorials section.

Visit gamemakers:www.gamemakers.longluntan.net!
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Cheshcrew
Beginning Trainer

Hey i know this is alot to ask for but unlz will NOT work for me. I was wondering if i could send you my hack and the pic i want in the game, and you do it for me?
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
sk8rboy
Beginning Trainer

Ok well im relatively new to this but when I import my sprite everything goes fine but, when It appears in a battle my emulator freezes and it has these lines on it. And I've done everything right. its 64x64 and it has enough space. I've tried many times and looked up tutorials but I still cant fix it please help.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Tangrowthjelly
Beginning Trainer

Same problem here, but only with my backsprites. I know that you're supposed to use the shiny palette for the backsprite, but is there anything else you do differently?
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM
sk8rboy
Beginning Trainer

ive tried many times to replace a sprite and no matter what i do i cant get it to work. I always have the same random lines and dots error. and im not doing anything in the TUT wrong. please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangrowthjelly View Post
Same problem here, but only with my backsprites. I know that you're supposed to use the shiny palette for the backsprite, but is there anything else you do differently?
No do you have any advice for the forward sprite? I just cat get it right.

Last edited by sk8rboy; June 14th, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
xXDisturbed
Medicham :3

Nature: Calm
I have tried many times to ge this right but it doesnt work properly. First, the colors were off a lot when i saw them in game. Then, this happens when i started over (look at attached file)

Do you know what might have happened? or what i did wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: png Gallade Fail.png‎ (87.9 KB, 11 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:39 AM
UltraNerdtendo64
Retro Reviver!

I'm trying to import the Blue sprite from FRLG into my Ruby Rom. It keeps saying that the image is not indexed and I DID 100% use only 16 colours! I even tried with an Emerald Rom! Same result!
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:09 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNerdtendo64 View Post
I'm trying to import the Blue sprite from FRLG into my Ruby Rom. It keeps saying that the image is not indexed and I DID 100% use only 16 colours! I even tried with an Emerald Rom! Same result!
if you meant Blue as Gary then I think you have not indexed it properly...

Ok here's the FRLG Sprites of Gary 100% Indexed you can just insert them if you want...

Also you can use Wichu's Sprite Editor it auto Indexes the sprite and accepts it even it's colors are higher than 16...
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:20 PM
UltraNerdtendo64
Retro Reviver!

It doesn't work. I'm using Pokemon Emerald Version as my base ROM.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:25 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNerdtendo64 View Post
It doesn't work. I'm using Pokemon Emerald Version as my base ROM.
Are you in Windows 7 for some Reason it doesn't allow you to do the Paint technique to Index the sprite, And if it still doesn't work just rip off the sprites from a FireRed/LeafGreen Rom...
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Zwölf
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Hardy
I've done everything in this tutorial and others but whenever I try to replace the red sprite with the pokemaniac trainer sprite nothing works. The only thing that happens is that the red sprite palate mess up to match the pokemaniac's palate. I've tried everything but it end up with the same results. Please someone email me an answer to why this happens and how to fix it!

the pokemaniac sprite is indexed. I haven't edited it since taking it out of the rom with "save as"

btw I run on windows 7

Unzl.gba makes me sad
Old September 10th, 2012, 04:04 AM
UltraNerdtendo64
Retro Reviver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros View Post

if you meant Blue as Gary then I think you have not indexed it properly...

Ok here's the FRLG Sprites of Gary 100% Indexed you can just insert them if you want...

Also you can use Wichu's Sprite Editor it auto Indexes the sprite and accepts it even it's colors are higher than 16...
Thanks Tajaros.
Where can I download Wichu's Sprite Editor? I've been googling for one hour and haven't found anything at all.
Thanks again.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, it atleast has 2 of the tools I was looking for in there. Too bad I can't use it for trainers though. :/
I hate unLZ-GBA. My friend heard me having a swearing fit at it. lol.

Last edited by UltraNerdtendo64; September 10th, 2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: I found it, suprisingly
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here