The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Article

Important points:
  • "The firm said it was 18% thinner and 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S"
  • "The screen measures 4in (10.2cm) which is still smaller than rival devices from Samsung, Nokia, Motorola and HTC"
  • Works on Everything Everywhere 4G LTE network in the UK
  • Screen now has the same ratio as a widescreen TV
  • "The handset also features a new Apple-designed chip, called the A6. Mr Schiller suggested this made it twice as powerful as the earlier model"
  • 8 MP camera, same as the 4S
  • Expected charger socket change - old products will need an adapter to work with the new phone
  • "It will be sold with either 16 gigabytes, 32GB or 64GB of storage, with prices ranging from $199 to $399 (£123 to £248) in the US with a two-year contract."

Thoughts? Any 4S users going to spring for the new phone when it comes out on September 21st? Better or worse than the newest Android phones on the market?
PM
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
I don't even have a 4S. I'm going to stay cool with my 3GS. -flips hair and walks out with nose in the air-
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Claire*
Here's to the crazy ones.

Nature: Sassy
I have a 4S, I'm thinking about buying the Nokia Lumia 920 however. I love that yellow color. <3

I like the minimalism of Windows phone, the skeuomorphism of iOS is wearing thin on me...
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
I had to look up what skeuomorphism meant. :x

I'm one of those lame Apple fanboys who buys everything the company releases, haha. I have an old iPhone 4 and plan on upgrading to the 5 when it's available. 8)

4G alone would've been enough to make me buy it, but I like the dimensions of the new screen and the new design is sexy. It's a definite buy for me.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I don't even have a phone, but the iPhone 5 kinda appeals to me... but then the price dashes my hopes.

Edit: Found this on my Facebook feed. Relevant photo is relevant.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world

Last edited by Team Fail; September 12th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Candaceaboo
Misty Lover

Nature: Sassy
Definite first day buy for me :3
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
...Ew...okay now that I see what it looks like, I don't like it lol. My 3GS is already a nice size and the 4 and 4S are nice sizes too, but 5 looks too big. Then again, I have this reaction to almost every technology upgrade. I am just resisting change as usual. Give me time and I'll adjust. Hated GBA SPs and DSes when they were released as well!! I have problems. :) I get to get my mom's 4S when she upgrades to a 5...yay? v_v
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Forever
let it go

Oh, same camera? Yeah no, not upgrading from my 4S. Only reason I'd want to upgrade is for the camera lmao. :( I'll just wait for iPhone 5S with a best camera in existence. n___n Plus I can manage in low light IT'S CALLED A TORCH.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thomas
HAIL HYDRA!
Community Supporter

I'm legitimately excited for this, but I don't know if I'll be getting it. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon and they've already stated that anyone that upgrades to a 4G device (that includes the iPhone 5) will lose their unlimited data plans. I use a lot of data monthly and I don't want to have to start paying more than $30 a month for data. If I would to switch plans and keep using data like I do, I would definitely be paying some overage charges.

I'll probably end up getting it anyway. XD

Edit: @Requility: The camera is 25% smaller and 40% faster.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Edit: @Requility: The camera is 25% smaller and 40% faster.
Yeah I don't care about speed or anything, this works perfectly fine as it is. What I'd have liked is an improved front (when taking pics of yourself) of the camera, as well as higher quality when zooming. ;( And that would've swayed me to get it but otherwise nope.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thomas
HAIL HYDRA!
Community Supporter

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/33...isight-smaller

This give a really good rundown on how the camera is different from the 4S. Looks like enough of a jump for me.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/33...isight-smaller

This give a really good rundown on how the camera is different from the 4S. Looks like enough of a jump for me.
Yeah not really selling it for me tbh. In fact the only thing that appealed to me was the ability to take photos during recordings but I can always screenshot if I really need to.

But really, my mindset is like, why not just wait a year (or so) for the 5S which'll probably improve whatever I wanted anyways? :( Plus my 4S is still under warranty so I might as well abuse that lool.
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
I'm thinking of upgrading my phone to an iPhone soon and honestly I am not too impressed with the 5. Some of these features (though "faster") you can also get with the 4S, so...to be honest I don't see a point in getting a 5 while I can just get the 4S at a cheaper price. Yeah, I won't get "faster" features, but it's still an iPhone with "amazing" features xD
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requility View Post
Oh, same camera? Yeah no, not upgrading from my 4S. Only reason I'd want to upgrade is for the camera lmao. :( I'll just wait for iPhone 5S with a best camera in existence. n___n Plus I can manage in low light IT'S CALLED A TORCH.

...a torch?

I dunno, Syd, it isn't THAT big. It's still smaller than the average smartphone out there nowadays. The Galaxy S III is enoooormous. o_<
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I'll be replacing my Windows Phone 7 with an iPhone 5. Plus my contract ends this year as well, so I might as well go for a change.

I just hope the iPhone 5 here in Australia will have 4G, I'm a bit concerned since the new iPad couldn't work on Telstra's 4G network, but even without it, I think it's worth getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
...Ew...okay now that I see what it looks like, I don't like it lol. My 3GS is already a nice size and the 4 and 4S are nice sizes too, but 5 looks too big. Then again, I have this reaction to almost every technology upgrade. I am just resisting change as usual. Give me time and I'll adjust. Hated GBA SPs and DSes when they were released as well!! I have problems. :) I get to get my mom's 4S when she upgrades to a 5...yay? v_v
If you think the iPhone 5 is big, you should see the Galaxy S3(it's freaking huge).

Last edited by Zet; September 12th, 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
I'll be replacing my Windows Phone 7 with an iPhone 5. Plus my contract ends this year as well, so I might as well go for a change.

I just hope the iPhone 5 here in Australia will have 4G, I'm a bit concerned since the new iPad couldn't work on Telstra's 4G network, but even without it, I think it's worth getting.
They said it's good for Telstra's, Optus' and Virgin's LTE/4G Networks. I'm more concerned that later in its life those 4G networks will be overpopulated, but probably still better than 3G or even NextG.

I'll grab one when my plan ticks over at the start of 2013, provided Telstra's not charging too much for the 32GB variant.

I don't understand why everyone's complaining about being underwhelmed. It's faster, lighter, slimmer, has a bigger screen, etc, etc. In terms of design, I prefer the audio jack on the bottom and like the new metal backing. What do they want it to do? Tell jokes and fart bubbles?
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:

If you think the iPhone 5 is big, you should see the Galaxy S3(it's freaking huge).
The new iPhone should hopefully have support for most LTE networks around the world in the hardware. No worries, if much there!

Though, I've been wondering: why are you switching from WP? I've noticed that the iPhone 5 literally pales in a lot of aspects, aside from apps in comparison to the 920... Thinking of apps?

Either way, it's a fine upgrade, unless your current phone already has a larger screen than the iPhone 5's 4".
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
The new iPhone should hopefully have support for most LTE networks around the world in the hardware. No worries, if much there!

Though, I've been wondering: why are you switching from WP? I've noticed that the iPhone 5 literally pales in a lot of aspects, aside from apps in comparison to the 920... Thinking of apps?

Either way, it's a fine upgrade, unless your current phone already has a larger screen than the iPhone 5's 4".
Mainly to iMessage with friends overseas(since texting can cost a fortune D:) and better app support since WP hardly gets any love :(

(my current WP is a Mozart 7, one of the first WP devices and it's starting showing it's age).
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Mainly to iMessage with friends overseas(since texting can cost a fortune D and better app support since WP hardly gets any love

(my current WP is a Mozart 7, one of the first WP devices and it's starting showing it's age).
*looks at his Nokia* I suppose you sometimes have to pick a good vendor, as my phone is still getting features left and right despite the OS heading to a dead end. And exclusives. Hmm...

All your friends use iMessage, huh? Sometimes it's a better idea to just switch to an iPhone and use iMessage, but you might want to tell your iMessage-using friends about other messaging apps that are cross-platform. These work on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, for example, Viber, and a couple of stuff I've forgot.

Also, seems like even Oreo is... making fun? Strange...
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I'm one of those crazy Apple addicted people, but don't have a smartphone yet. Im considering getting one. Ive been due for an upgrade for a while as well. It might be a christmas gift for me, idk.
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
I don't like the elitist attitude of Apple (ironic considering how elitist I seem to be at times, haha, ONLY I CAN BE ELITIST AND BIGOTED) so I opted for the Galaxy S3 instead. I am going to be annoyed if the S3 cannot hook up to the new 4G network >_<
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

Nah, I got my Galaxy S III a couple weeks ago, and it's blown me away. Judging from the specs, I wouldn't have much reason to want to switch to Apple anyways.
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
I've had an iPhone since they first came out, and I've only stuck with them because they're familiar, but seeing how there really isn't much of an improvement from 4s to 5 I think I'll be moving on (not that I really have any issues with the Iphone~~). The new droid phones monstrous battery life is extremely appealing to me and the only thing that stands out among the crowd, other than that all of the phones look relatively the same.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I only have a 3G at the moment, so even if the 5 was simply the 4S but in a pink bow, I'd still probably be snapping it up as soon as possible. It's kinda disappointing that there isn't a 'one more thing' like there have been with most of the previous iterations in the franchise, but that definitely won't stop me from getting it nearly as soon as it comes out! :D
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Gerri Shin
  

Nature: Modest
I've got a 4S and I can't see any real reason to get the 5 for me. LTE isn't really a must have thing, and I still have until next July before I can upgrade again anyway. Besides, by getting in on the 'S' Routine, It'll allow for me to get the better device every 2 years since their scheme has been redesign one year and refine it the next. (here's hoping the T-Mo USA gets in on the next round, so I could buy on subsidy from them if I wanted. Big Red's getting ridiculous with their plan pricing)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here