The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Hardest Kanto Gym Leader
Brock 6 4.51%
Misty 42 31.58%
Lt. Surge 6 4.51%
Erika 2 1.50%
Koga 28 21.05%
Sabrina 43 32.33%
Blaine 0 0%
Giovanni 6 4.51%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Which was the hardest Kanto gym leader for you. Give reasons also.
For me, it was Misty. When I first time played LeafGreen or first time played any pokemon game, I chose Charmander. Then, I did not know any basics of pokemon.My team was consisting of lvl 31 charmeleon and other pokemons in 10s. Misty keep Water Pulsing Charmeleon and he always die in 2 hits. It took 20 tries to get a lucky critical hit.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old September 8th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
Sabrina was the hardest. Particularly since Psychic-type was the best in RBY, and since my team's levels were too low compared to her.
However I don't remember I had a hard time with her in FR/LG...

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM
mysteryme
Togepi

I can only think of Koga right now.
Misty wasn't a problem for me since I always had a pikachu.
As a kid I just couldn't get past that Muk.. My nightmare ;0
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM
SayWhat
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Gentle
Misty was the because Starmie was just so strong
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Thomas

Usually I have trouble with Sabrina in RBYFRLG, but in GSCHGSS I have trouble with Jasmine.
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:56 AM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
For me, it's Misty. She's only easy if you choose Bulbasaur. Her Starmie is so freakin' strong O_o !

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Cat

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
Misty, at that point in the game to have a Starmie is so difficult regardless of your starter choice.

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
NuOmicronMu
Unhatched Egg

Koga; because when I played FRLG the first time, I didn't use items or switch out, so I would just get badly poisoned and lose all of my Pokemon.
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
o Pikachu o
Pikachu

Misty because I had Charmander as my starter and I didn't train anything.
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!

Nature: Quirky
Having just replayed Fire Red, I can honestly say none of them were hard :x I was very under levelled when fighting most of the gym leaders and yet they were all easy D: I guess hardest would be Koga with his Weezing and Muk combo since I tend to train Grass, Bug and Poison types, but even he wasn't really a challenge.
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Diddyk303
Unhatched Egg

I chose Misty because her Starmie is amazing and my favourite pokemon is a Charmander so i always choose it
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:48 PM
windy_leo
Unhatched Egg

Sabrina. My team has some trouble with psychic >''<
However, it's not too hard to surpass her.

Old September 16th, 2012, 10:51 PM
zephyr6257
Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)

I got stuck against Lt. Surge for a while, having no good rock Pokémon (I didn't bother training my geodudes) and my starter being Squirtle. Eventually, I was able to beat him with my wartortle. :3

Last edited by zephyr6257; September 16th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:50 PM
AresTheAwesome
The Awesome Trainer...

Nature: Adamant
none of them were too difficult, weepinbell easily defeated misty, sabrina was easy enough to defeat with bite or crunch (whichever I had at the time) Koga was easy if you get psychic at the game corner, I think I taught my starmie that.

I'd say misty was the most annoying because weepinbell was probably barely evolved at that point, and low leveled.

If we were talking about R/B/Y Erika would be the worst because of the constant status, and because of how over powered wrap was in the originals.

The flames in my heart have been re-lit, now I will resume catching them all.
Old September 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
F U C K PC! WAY TOO STRICT!

Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
For me none of them were actually a challenge because of the team I had but I'd say Koga was the hardest.
I had Mankey take out Brock because I picked Charmander.
I knew Misty uses Water so I did the smart thing and caught me an Oddish.
Surge wasn't really an issue because I caught a Sandshrew and taught it Dig.
Erika was super easy because I had a Charizard by then.
Koga was annoying because I had an Gloom, Charizard, Vaporeon, and Sandslash. Weezings damn Levitate ability made it so hard.
Sabrina wasn't that difficult cuz I used Charizard with its increddible Attack and took advantage of her Pokemons weak Defense.
Blaine was easy cuz of Vaporeon
Giovanni was easy too because of Vaporeon.

I didn't really have that many problems because I had an awesome team that I loved, in the end this is what I had. This is during Elite Four.

Charizard
Vaporeon
Sandslash
Vileplume
Electabuzz
Gengar
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Pokemon_Geek
Togepi

I struggled with Misty(Starmie is way too strong for a 2nd gym) and Sabrina(Alakazam+Calm Mind=Scary) which I am not surprised by at all because they were a pain in the originals too. In the end, I voted for Sabrina because at least Starmie doesn't learn Calm Mind or am I wrong? I may have been playing since 98, but I still don't know everything.

Real gamers play for fun.
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Olli

Sabrina has always been the one I've been having the most trouble with. Usually I don't train any Dark or Ghost Pokemon, or teach any of my Pokemon those moves, so I usually have to rely on normal damaging attacks, and with her Pokemon being as strong as they are, it's really a pain to beat her. Misty has always been a bit of a pain, with her Recover spamming Staryu and Starmie, who are also able to deal quite a bit of damage to my Pokemon, though that's only whenever I don't choose Bulbasaur :P
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

Nature: Timid
I don't find any of them to be hard, really. :/ I never had much trouble in FRLG, especially since they gave Charmander Metal Claw to handle Brock. I'll just pick ummmmm...yeah no I can't pick lol. None of them are that bad. :( Sorry!

Fouetté | Rygarde | Déesse | Parfum | Pamplemousse
pairs | super mod of challenges

george best: ugly white backgrounds
displease jak the fashion queen
alas, no-one listens
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM
Miss Fortune
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss Fortune
Yeah, I agree with Sydian. They were very easy gym leaders in FRLG. Back in the first gen Brock was hard if you started with Charmander but Metal Claw fixed that issue.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:47 AM
LLovro

although I had pikachu Misty was pain in the ass
for me Koga and Sabrina were really easy since I've kicked Koga's ass with my kadabra and pwned Sabrina with my Nidokings megahorn
Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
None of them were really hard. I guess when I chose Charmander, Misty can be a bit annoying, but I'm normally over-levelled by then anyway.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
TheLeetCasualGamer
Hi, I'm strange :3

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheLeetCasualGamer Send a message via Skype™ to TheLeetCasualGamer
Even though I chose Sabrina I have to go with what a number of people are saying and say that most of them are actually pretty easy. Sabrina in my opinion is just generally the toughest in a playthrough.

Brock, unless you chose Charmander, he's a wimp. If you did, train up a mankey
Misty, Surprised people actually have problems with her, once again unless you picked Charmander in which case Oddish, or Pikachu can fulfill the same role as Bulbasaur, Wartortle can bite Starmie with taking little damage from it's attacks, and the basic strategy and easiest is just to stun it then overwhelm it's recover all which Pikachu, Ivysaur, or Oddish can do.
LT surge, oh look how cute, a Diglett, wait, how the f*** did it take down my Raichu!? LT surge, I'm disapointed
4th (forget her name) NPCs don't have any clue how to utilize grass types, it's too easy any way you look at it
Koga, What broken team in FR/LG isn't complete without a psychic type Pokemon!? =D
Sabrina, ummmm, uhhhhh, the only easy way is to outrun her Pokemon with a high physical attack Pokemon (which doesn't help if you're underleveled for it) Or if you have Blastoise, it's still quite powerful with a bite, or Lapras can survive one attack from Alakazam, just perish song
Blain, one word, Lapras
Giovani, one word, Lapras

Sorry for spelling, I don't feel like proof reading xP

Video game related top tens anyone?
Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
i usually pick the fire starter so in fr/lg i had charmander and they gave it metal claw so i went through brock with no problems at all and my pikachu and pidgeotto pwned misty and my charizard had steel wing for giovanni so none were really hard for me lol.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Alex
Quicker than the darkness…~

Definitely Sabrina, at least in Yellow. In my old FireRed though I'd say it was Misty (even though I didn't vote for her).
The PokéCommunity Live! <~Sotomura> “It’s personal.” <Greninja> ignore twocows he smells like twice the manure <+wakachamo> Alex are you in a state prison rn <+twocows> my doujins are the best <+Alex> sometimes ecchi can be a kickstarter for an overworked motor <Greninja> lunatic is the only mode I play in <~Sotomura> I really don’t feel like watching Best Wishes <+Alex> the guy preventing me from being first on the voice list <+Alex> good holy christ its way better without minaj <Zeffy> yaoi is the sounds they make while doing the nasty <+twocows> i really want my pc to be more like a phone <+twocows> thanks, microsoft
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Antitryptic™
サトセレ

Koga, definitely. His strategy could be aptly described by one move: Minimize. It's extremely annoying when I can't damage his Pokémon, especially when he uses Toxic while doing his Minimize thing. You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to battle him in order to win. I didn't really have any Psychic or Ground types at that time, either...

My Role-Playing Twitter Accounts follow!
My Writer
Brock
Calem
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links