Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Do you think Gamefreak will start making Pokemon Games for 3DS instead of NDS?
Yes 29 82.86%
No 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 13th, 2012 (11:05 PM).
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
Since we all know that a new Pokemon game is coming for 3ds, do you think that the Pokemon Games will now be for 3ds? or will they still be for ds?

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old September 13th, 2012 (11:44 PM).
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
Perhaps, they'd make a DS game or two. Then move onto the 3DS, like how all the previous games moved on to better consoles.
But also, they might not. They'll probably think, kids won't buy a 3DS just to play a single game.
. :p
Old September 14th, 2012 (08:46 AM).
Xander Olivieri

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Most people are switching to 3DS's now that the stores have more limited quantities of the DS series models. Its not hard to make them shift and pay an extra $20 for a 3DS.

That and the list for the rest of 2012's DS games is like 5 or 6 games and there so far is no confirmed 2013 games on the list last time I went to gamestop.

Nintendo has all but released a "The DS series is being discontinued" statement, but that's just a matter of time.

So, yes I believe that Pokemon is now switching to the 3DS.
Old September 14th, 2012 (09:03 AM).
Alli
kong

Nature: Timid
No, they're going to stay on the DS. Forever. Sorry. Anyway, yeah, they're gradually making the switch with the spin off games. I think it's fair to say, for spin offs anyway, that Conquest will be the last on the DS. Or that typing game, since I think that's supposed to get localized some time soon. But yeah, the change seems to be slow right now, since Conquest was on the DS and then the next main games are on the DS, but you have spin offs like Rumble Blast and the new PMD on 3DS. I'd say we're in a transition period, but soon enough, the DS will be out of the light and the 3DS can finally really shine.
paired to diddy

Old September 14th, 2012 (09:09 AM).
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Nature: Relaxed
If I was GameFreak I would do this. Since lots of people have moved up to the 3DS they should make it for them; but lots of people as myself don't have the funds to afford a 3DS so they got a DS Lite or DSi or hell even the old school DS. So they should make future Pokemon games for them as well. They could easily make it for both handheld devices, I mean look at what PS2 and PS3 did. A lot of games when PS3 came out were still gettin made on the PS2 but over the period of about 3 years they quit making them except for a couple games. So I think GameFreak might do the same thing. Gives people time to get the 3DS or the future DS cuz there's probably one coming.

Old September 14th, 2012 (09:14 AM).
Blue
c'est la vie
Community Supporter

Yeah, now that Mystery Dungeon is for the 3DS and that's a spin off, I doubt they would revert back to DS for another mainstream.
Old September 14th, 2012 (09:40 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I think Nintendo will stick to the regular DS platform for making their main games because not everyone may have a 3DS on them to play those games. IMO, only the spin-off games could be done on the 3DS to further update the graphics of past titles (Rumble Blast and the new Mystery Dungeon game are examples of this).

Old September 14th, 2012 (10:54 AM).
Xander Olivieri

Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Nintendo is trying to force all their smaller companies to push 3DS titles.......Gamefreak may not want to, but soon Nintendo will force them to cause they are pushing their focus onto the Wii U and the 3DS.
Old September 14th, 2012 (11:12 AM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
Eventually, yes. The DS is still hot right now but the 3DS is starting to finally pick up, so once it does it should (hopefully) replace the DS games.
Old September 14th, 2012 (12:28 PM).
HyperXhydra

I'm not really sure, but most probably 3DS, If not I won't mind, as long as they make an awesome remake with great graphics.
Old September 14th, 2012 (12:36 PM).
Raging Man
Ace Trainer

Nature: Naughty
They probably will, and i hope they will. I already own a 3DS (and love it), imagine playing a complete Handheld RPG with those pokemon in 3 Dimensions, i already love how they look on Pokedex 3D.

Old September 14th, 2012 (01:14 PM).
Blue
c'est la vie
Community Supporter

If they put the mainstreams on the 3DS then I can only assume that would urge fans to go out and buy a 3DS, that's how Nintendo usually play things out.
Old September 14th, 2012 (01:59 PM).
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
How is that even a valid question?

100%.
Old September 14th, 2012 (04:26 PM).
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Absolutely, and I can't wait. I have a DSi and a 3DS, and frankly I play all my games on the former, because the older games, even BW and most likely BW2, arent made to fit on the 3DS's screen. The 3DS looks great with 3DS games, but not so much with DS games
Old September 14th, 2012 (04:52 PM).
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.

Nature: Quiet
In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if Black and White 2 were the last main series games for the regular DS (even though I won't be neccessarily happy about it). Just like when you look at the historical transition of many consoles (PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3, XBox -> 360, GB -> GBC -> GBA -> DS), there will always be some games that continue to be made for the old system, but eventually they realize that there is more money to be made on the newer platform.

While I don't think that the 3DS has quite surpassed it's predecessor yet, by the time a new main Pokemon game comes out I think it will have, so there's no reason why it wouldn't be on the 3DS.

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old September 15th, 2012 (02:49 PM). Edited September 15th, 2012 by crystalzapdos.
crystalzapdos

Quote originally posted by PokemonMasters:
Since we all know that a new Pokemon game is coming for 3ds, do you think that the Pokemon Games will now be for 3ds? or will they still be for ds?
I guess people seem to forget that we went from GB to GBC to GBA to DS.

Quote originally posted by Rainbow Arcanine:
But also, they might not. They'll probably think, kids won't buy a 3DS just to play a single game.
Not true at all. I bought a Gamecube just for Wind Waker, a DS just for Pokemon Diamond, a Wii just for SSBB, and a Xbox360 just for for Gears of War. There's lots of people who buy a console for just on big-name title. This will be no different.

Pokemon is a console seller. People may say they won't buy a certain console, but when Pokemon comes out on it they'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Quote originally posted by ShinyUmbreon189:
. Gives people time to get the 3DS or the future DS cuz there's probably one coming.
I'm going to guess that your just really misinformed, but theres not a single gameslated for release on the DS for 2013. There's some set for this year, but most of them are just shovelware except B2/W2. Why in the world woud they make a new model for the DS?

Quote originally posted by PlatinumDude:
I think Nintendo will stick to the regular DS platform for making their main games because not everyone may have a 3DS on them to play those games.
Did "not everyone having one" stop Microsoft from producing games on the 360? Did it stop Nintendo from producing games on the Wii? Why would the case be any different here?

Quote originally posted by PlatinumDude:
IMO, only the spin-off games could be done on the 3DS to further update the graphics of past titles (Rumble Blast and the new Mystery Dungeon game are examples of this).
Why can't the same be done with main series games?

Quote originally posted by MiTjA:
How is that even a valid question?
Because on the internet its considered okay to make pointless threads to ask pointless questions.

Quote originally posted by Brendino:
While I don't think that the 3DS has quite surpassed it's predecessor yet,
Ummm, are you also extremely misinformed that there's only one big name title coming out on the DS this year while the 3DS has like, a dozen.
Old September 15th, 2012 (05:48 PM).
nuzamaki90
Knight of The Volt

The fact that MD, which I consider to be one of the best spinoff series (PkMn Ranger and Colosseum/XD being the others ) being 3d is the one and only reason why I'm expecting the next mainstream Pokemon games to be 3D.

If we get our Hoenn remakes, that will either be the beginning of Mainstream 3DS Pokemon games or the very last DS mainstream title.

However, if GameFreak stays with 2D + 3Dstuff titles on the DS, I'll be cool with it. As long as they look like BW/BW2 or even better.
Old September 15th, 2012 (06:01 PM).
william.alsup
Unhatched Egg

Releasing a 3DS version would drive 3DS sales, no doubt. I bought a 3DS for OoT. I would undoubtedly buy a 3DS for a Pokemon game if I had to.
Old September 15th, 2012 (06:06 PM).
Hikamaru
and a day ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Releasing a 3DS game might drive 3DS sales, but I guess they might still make main series on the DS until 6th Gen or something so they can appeal to those who don't have a 3DS yet.
Old September 16th, 2012 (02:38 AM).
TheLeetCasualGamer
Hi, I'm strange :3

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheLeetCasualGamer Send a message via Skype™ to TheLeetCasualGamer

They're making the next Mystery Dungeon on the 3ds platform

Video game related top tens anyone?
Old September 16th, 2012 (02:50 AM).
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

Mystery Dungeon 3DS looks amazing. I suppose I'll have to start saving my pennies to get a 3DS!
Old September 16th, 2012 (09:46 AM).
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I think it might be awkward to have a 3D game because Pokemon tends to stick with overworld tile movements (though Ranger would be cool in 3D) so it looks awkward and clunky at some times (referring to the new PMD trailer) but I guess it'll still be new and different.

Old September 16th, 2012 (10:06 AM).
sad boy
Just bein me
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
For one thing the Pokemon dungeon 3D made a drastic change to the mystery dungeon graphics so theres one example.
For the main pokemon games. Pokemon already made a little 3D action go on during when you go on the bridge to that big city. I can imagine that every game they make that aspect will get better and better.

The most uninteresting person here

Old September 16th, 2012 (10:07 AM).
voicerocker
Psyduck

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
Releasing a 3DS game might drive 3DS sales, but I guess they might still make main series on the DS until 6th Gen or something so they can appeal to those who don't have a 3DS yet.
They won't do this. That's actually sort of telling people "You don't have to buy our new product" which is the opposite of what they want. They're trying to get people to realize that the 3DS is not just another DS upgrade, but a whole new system. And I'm not sure if it was stated officially or not, but I do believe B2W2 will be the final "big games" for the DS. The fact that this new Mystery Dungeon is for the 3DS just shows they're finally moving on.

Why do some people think the DS won't be retired? I'm sorry, but ever since I got my 3DS, I haven't used my old DS. Even tiny extras like Find Mii make it much better than the DS. (plus I just got my last Pokemon today for the original Pokedex 3D) I still have many of Nintendo's older system's like the Super Nintendo and N64. I still love playing older games on them, but that didn't stop Nintendo from moving on to the GameCube or the Wii, and now the WiiU.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old September 16th, 2012 (12:12 PM).
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Lapras*:
I think it might be awkward to have a 3D game because Pokemon tends to stick with overworld tile movements (though Ranger would be cool in 3D) so it looks awkward and clunky at some times (referring to the new PMD trailer) but I guess it'll still be new and different.
From the little bits of the main town you see, it seems that allows for more free movement. I think it's a good move to keep dungeons with the 'tile' movement because they are more turn-based anyway. The game looks nice overall, have been waiting on a new Mystery Dungeon for too long now!

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.com/art/Hoenn-BW-styled-map-251951922
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links