• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's talk rap.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Yes we are going to talk rap. It's one of the genres that, on here and elsewhere, I've seen having realllllly mixed receptions and I guess I'd like to explore that a bit. What do you think of rap? Please post an example to back up your opinions! And just talk about the genre in general if you want to idk.

Years
I've been thinking about when this topic would make a return. I've became much more interested in rap since the last thread on this.

Obviously, I think it's pretty good since I'm interested, but I understand how the general tone is offensive to some.

I'll reccomend this to anyone deeply invested in hip hop as a genre, but it might not be to a lot of people's tastes, XV - Popular Culture. It's a mixtape so it's free and well worth a listen for how integrates pop culture into the music on this one, plus there's a few really good tracks on here anyway.

I'll await other posts to contribute any serious opinions.

Nihilego

Years
Duuuuude. Listening to Breaking Bad from that link just now and this is great oh my God. The guy's voice reminds me sorta of Childish Gambino, if you've heard of him?

Strong language, blah, etc. This is actually one of his much cleaner tracks haha.

Nuke said:
Obviously, I think it's pretty good since I'm interested, but I understand how the general tone is offensive to some.

Tbh the tone, or more specifically the lyrics in general, are one of the main reasons that I for people disliking the genre. While I get that they tend to be... strongly worded, I guess, I honestly never saw it as too much of a problem myself. It's just bad words in the end and looking past them they generally tend to mean something more than "YEAH I GET SO MANY *****ES" unless you're just unlucky with what you're listening to.

Years
I've heard of CG, I have the entire Camp album in my iTunes. Even though it's obviously the intended mainstream song, Heartbeat is still my favourite track on it.

I think the only lyrics people can moan about are misogynistic ones because they seem to crop up far too often in the genre.

Nihilego

Years
Wait, you think Backpackers was the mainstream song? I'd have said it was Heartbeat or something along those lines. Also I just found this. An... interesting read, definitely.

Nuke said:
I think the only lyrics people can moan about are misogynistic ones because they seem to crop up far too often in the genre.

Yeah I'll... agree that they bother me quite a lot sometimes because they're some of the only things that are actually common in the genre. Kinda a shame I guess.

Years
I understand some points of the review, CG's hashtag rapping has to be one of the most annoying things ever, it's almost only acceptable for Drake to do it now. Overall it's still a good album though and I wouldn't say it takes much from Kanye at all.

I think I used a comma in the wrong place, I meant to say I like Heartbeat the most despite it being an attempt at mainstream.

Nihilego

Years
Eh, it's a bit annoying, but it's just... him. He's got a ton of character and I quite appreciate that I guess. And nah I'm pretty sure I misread you actually haha, ignore the Backpackers comment. I quite like Heartbeat but the chorus is... eh. Waters down everything else for me.

Regarding Kanye, have you heard Gambino's version of AOTL?

droomph

weeb
Years
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I'll give my opinion...

It's actually not that bad, musically and morally.

Musically, the lack of complicated bass lines and whatnot is made up for by the sheer excellence of the rappers.

Morally, beyond the bad words, I feel most of it's pretty akin to the book of the Bible Lamentations, so in that sense it's actually a pretty holy form of music. But beyond my bible-thumping tendencies it's just words after all, and beyond that it's just people bringing attention to social problems inside and outside for black people in general.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
^ Da hell are you talking about lol

Mm... I like older and sometimes Eminem. The majority of rap I listen to is Eminem, but I enjoy embarrassingly old school and 'cleaner' rap. Of all the music I listen to, rap is probably in last place though.

Nihilego

Years
Musically, the lack of complicated bass lines and whatnot is made up for by the sheer excellence of the rappers.

If you're bothered by the lack of those sorts of things anyway. Imo one of the staples in any decent rap is a solid beat, which isn't necessarily asking to be complicated at all.

Mm... I like older and sometimes Eminem. The majority of rap I listen to is Eminem, but I enjoy embarrassingly old school and 'cleaner' rap. Of all the music I listen to, rap is probably in last place though.

Heh, Eminem was big for me getting into rap. The Eminem Show was one of the first rap albums I was into, closely followed by The Marshall Mathers LP. Nothing wrong with that. Although I don't know if I'd say Eminem is 'old school' unless you go riiiiiiiight back to his start. Or did you mean something else?

Years
In general I'm not a huge fan of rap but some artists I do quite like.

Eminem is a rapping prodigy his lyrics and flow are incredible. His songs are about his experiences which helps. (Not Afraid, Haleys Song, Mockingbird, 'Till I collapse)

Kanye West has some very emotional songs and in general is quite good. (Jesus Walks, Big Brother)

A little of Jay-Z's stuff is at least tolerable. (Renegade, Empire State of Mind)

For the most part though as far as rap is concerned I like the less popular stuff and rap rock. I like Mike Shinodas rapping and I'm a fan of Hollywood Undead and as much flack as I'll cop for this I enjoy ICPs rapping they are born entertainers.

Years
  • Age 31
  • IL
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I really enjoy rap/hip hop. Here are some of the artists I listen to;

-Death Grips
-Killer Mike
-MF Doom
-Billy Woods
-A Tribe Called Quest
-Aesop Rock
-Blackalicious
-SpaceGhostPurrp

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I can enjoy rap. I do not enjoy bs about how so and so gets all the money/*****es/weed though. I can enjoy rap with a good beat or with lyrics that I find to be good. And I wouldn't necessarily say "good" as in everything makes sense and such or is clean. Not that good. More like...if I like the rhymes. Rap isn't my forte, so I'm not making much sense here, lol. I will just leave this for you instead, if this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1B_r9nC9k

WHICH I KNEW BEFORE YOU RAZOR LEAF /hipster

Honest

Hi!
Years
For the most part, I hate it. I'm sorry, but listening to a guy just talk really fast and sound stupid (imo) is not music. Doesn't even sound good to me.

Only rapper I have any respect for is Eminem, and even then, I don't like it much.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm just gonna go ahead and talk about rap and not worry about whether I like it or not. Mainstream, IMO blows, most rappers today can't even flow. Rappers today, all the talk about is how they got money stacked to the roof, smoking dro, cars, sex, and hoes. Now, there are some rappers that are still true to the game. For example; Ice Cube (imo best gangsa/west coast rapper now), Hopsin (don't know who he is? Check him out. He's not afraid to confront all the bs rappers you hear today and say how wack they are, and he raps about stuff that matters), Tech N9ne, Immortal Technique (actually pretty much any underground artists has more skills than mainstream and Hollywood rappers), Yelawolf (hes gettin there, Eminem put him under his wing) and that's pretty much it. So from what I've seen todays rap BLOWS!

Now everyone knows that old school rap is where its at. Anyone remember The Wu Tang Clan, NWA, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony? Best rap groups that ever lived. Now what about solo rappers; 2Pac, Eazy-E, Notorious Big, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Nas, Old Eminem, Busta Rhymes, DMX. Rap now doesn't have 5% the skill these rappers possessed not to mention that these rappers could flow, and they were true to the game. Has everyone forgot about Dr. Dre? Best rap producer to ever get into the rap game.

I'm tired of hearing wack rappers like Lil Wayne, Waka Flocka, Soulja Boy. None of them can rap, they got no flow and in rap you gotta have FLOW! It seems rap music died when 2Pac and Eazy-E died. I like rap and all but I just can't stand the mainstream. What happened to good punchlines, good flow, good themes, and not to mention the rhyming skills?

Years
You guys might like some of Drapht, Hilltop Hoods or 360's stuff. They are kinda "mainstream" but a lot of their music has some good messages and stuff (Hilltop ftw) and since they're Aussie Hip-Hop artists their style is different to most of the wannabe "gangsta" rappers you get now (Whiz I'm talking to you).

Years
The reason for the current state of mainstream hip-hop is easy to understand; the only thing that people not particularly interested in the genre want from rap is a good hook, good beat and to be able to grasp the lyrics straight away. This is why the YMCMB hashtag rapping crap gets in the charts repeatedly, although it certainly doesn't hurt them to mix it up with R&B quite often. I think Drake is the only one to retain any sort of credibility from this, mainly because he invented the style and he can actually sing.

When it comes to UK rappers, the mainstream ones are far better than less popular ones for reasons I can't particularly understand myself.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Rap probably isn't my favourite genre but I do listen to a bit. Mos Def, A Tribe Called Quest, pre autotune Kanye, Jay Z, pre dance music Example, Talib Kweli and Matisyahu.

It's a sub genre of hiphop but I'd probably put Jazz-Hop as my current favourite genre.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years
Rap/Hip Hop is probably my favorite genre of this date.
I listen to stuff that interest me, I'm not a fan of Lil Wayne, Drake, nor Nicki Minaj.
I listen to Eminem, Hopsin, Dr.Dre, D12, Slaughterhouse, Bad Meets Evil, Proof, A Tribe Called Quest, Royce Da 5'9", Tupac, Biggie, B.o.B. Tech N9ne, Sean Forbes, Yelawolf and Logic, I like a lot of other stuff too. The majority of what I like is Shady Records.

Back