The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM
pleb
Booted out - don't be like me!

Advertise here
Only at the risk of a mad kid stealing it.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Typhizard

Nature: Quirky
It depends how well mannered and behaved, oh and mature, the teacher is. So, it's a yes and no.
Pokemon White 2 (trying to finish the Join Avenue)
Pokemon HeartGold (trying to catch all legendaries)
Pokemon Black 2 (Nuzlocke)

Friend Code for 3DS:
TBA
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleb View Post
Only at the risk of a mad kid stealing it.
Obviously there would be training & safeguards put it place to ensure that the weapon wouldn't fall into the wrong hands.
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
KyokuseiXRyusei
DenCabe! :3

Nature: Sassy
Either way there is risk. I think teachers (any administration in education, including university professors, for that matter) could be required to attain a license to carry a concealed weapon for protection purposes, but even people in a position of trust can snap and go bonkers. I'm in Colorado, so I've seen and know people in tragedies such as the Columbine High School shooting 13 years ago and the Aurora Movie Theater massacre 2 months ago and keep in mind that though the police are usually efficient and reliable, they can't be everywhere at once. So, in these situations it may benefit to conceal a weapon, though it may be more efficient to enhance security and assign more police officers (as opposed to just one resource officer) per school.
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
As has been said before, not everyone in this world feels comfortable with a gun. I absolutely abhor them, and would walk away from a job that required me to have one on my person at all times.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Candaceaboo
Misty Lover

Nature: Sassy
No. Absolutely, postively, absodoutedly, NOT.
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
This will do either three things ;-
1. Children may be safe in case of emergency. Shootings or Hostage situations.
2. Children will be scared of teachers and pay attention.
3. Teacher will one day go crazy of a certain student and snap! ... The end.
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Twilight Sky
» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪

Send a message via AIM to Twilight Sky Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight Sky
I'm on the same boat as Razor Leaf here. Not only is it quite a hassle as far as the teachers possibly misusing it(I mean, have you guys heard of police brutality before? Even trained people can still snap and all hell breaks loose from there), I wouldn't feel particularly safe in a classroom setting knowing that there's a gun either hidden somewhere within the teacher's desk or within the classroom itself, to be quite honest.

It's one thing to be afraid of a classmate snapping and shooting someone, it's an entirely different thing when a teacher--a role model--starts doing that exact same thing, and it kinda shatters(if not, has a significant impact) on the trust that both teacher and student are supposed to have.
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:21 AM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post

Obviously there would be training & safeguards put it place to ensure that the weapon wouldn't fall into the wrong hands.
But what sorts of safeguards can be used to stop kids from taking the gun, even if it has to be by force? Other than like, body armour or something, which would definitely not be a great idea.

Old September 16th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Haha, issue teachers Dragon Skin vests (they are real) and riot shields. Maybe stun guns, tazers and batons too. Guns are too lethal, and too easy to kill someone with.

The problem with guns is that not a single person in this world is trustworthy, even teachers have feelings, and that includes anger/rage. It isn't a judge of character deciding who gets a gun imo, it is a judge of how much restraint they have. (It is not easy to test restraint with any accuracy)

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:13 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Problem 1: No teacher should ever carry a gun (IMO). People are people, anyone can be pushed too far especially in a stressful environment where you're guaranteed to find certain people (students and co-workers) very irritable.

Problem 2: Even beyond that few people could have a positive learning experience knowing that it is likely their teacher is carrying a gun. Scared people don't learn well, fear is not going to be conducive to creating an employable person or a good role model for the next generation.

I can't say much on law aspect since I'm not American but here I think it would classify as an infringement on a teachers "Duty of Care".

As it has been said before I think it would be far more beneficial to employ security guards... actually most of what I said has been said already but I had to give my opinion XD.
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Inferna
hello stranger, i'm a disaster

Nature: Quiet
I live in the UK so I probably have a completely different view on guns compared to most of you, seeing as the UK's gun laws are among the strictest in the world.
I honestly don't think that they should have guns, some teachers would abuse their power of authority. A teacher could pretty easily gun down the class and say that they were provoked when they weren't at all - a little extreme I guess.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
KonohaSkye
Gamer 4 Life

Nature: Calm
No they would abuse the power

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think you all are over-estimating the factor of fear on the side of the students though. There are plenty of children that grew up knowing a gun was in their house without having fear every time they stepped into their house. I doubt this would inspire much fear in students in general, if it settled in as a law. Within a few years the kids going into school would know to expect it and not be afraid of the idea.
PM
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Twilight Sky
» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪

Send a message via AIM to Twilight Sky Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I think you all are over-estimating the factor of fear on the side of the students though. There are plenty of children that grew up knowing a gun was in their house without having fear every time they stepped into their house. I doubt this would inspire much fear in students in general, if it settled in as a law. Within a few years the kids going into school would know to expect it and not be afraid of the idea.
But I think you're generalizing here quite a bit. Sure, there's always the exception, or those group of kids that grew up within the vicinity of guns, but one thing to take into consideration is whether or not that, even in their own home, whether some kids would ultimately feel comfortable with the idea that there's a firearm in there somewhere, and all it would take is for someone to have a really bad day for something really bad to happen.

While that is a separate topic, I wanted to get more in-depth on how long-term exposure doesn't always mean emotional tolerance towards something. Just because you've been around something for a long period of time, doesn't mean it still doesn't have some sort of negative impact on you whenever you're exposed to it. I'd imagine that the same would apply towards weapons in class.

Sorry if what I'm saying doesn't make much sense. @___@;
Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Nature: Adamant
If teachers had guns, I am pretty sure 99% of kids would be homeschooled.
Then again, police in my country (England) very rarely carry guns so our gun laws are very strict, but really.. teachers carrying guns? I'd be scared as ****.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:48 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
I didn't bother reading that wall of text/large amount of paragraphs. My answer is no. Maybe this is only in Hawaii, but I've scarcely seen or considered students to be inclined to violence towards each other, let alone teachers no matter how much they hate each other. If things in that particular school get out of hand then that'd justifiable, but all schools, not really. I can see something like this becoming more of a problem than a solution to one in my honest opinion.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here