Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
At what percentage of your built-in hard drive do you start to get the "what will I do when the space runs out" blues?

For me, I just hit the limit, which for me is about 40%. I hit the 80 GB free mark a couple weeks ago, and I've been compulsively backing things up to a hard drive and deleting them from my computer.

What about you?
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old September 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
yaywalter
Unhatched Egg

I'm gettin' those blues now that I'm down to 300 GB on my 9 TB external RAID array.

:p
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I'm way passed it, I despertaely need a new hard drive. I'm down to 9GB of 1TB external drive, and my two flash drives (one 8gb and another 16 gb are full - mostly filled with Pokemon and Sim City 4 stuff) - I was just looking online for some external drives.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - sorry for no updates, been reorganizing my room
Random Challenge - Badges: 6/8 - game: X - Location: Route 15
Random Challenge - Badges: 2/8 - game: Y - Location: Geosenge Town
50/50 Challenge - Badges 4/8 - Game Y - Location: Lumiose City
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I've gone down into the megabytes several times with my terabyte HD. I use my other, older computer to store my movies and shows now, which is a pain in terms of accessibility (having to have both computers on, the older one being rather loud due to the RAM we took out), but it does the trick.
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I move stuff to my secondary 1TB harddrive and remove the copied stuff from my primary drive.
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
75% is when I start cleaning up. My 120GB SSD isn't very big, so that happens fairly often during the Steam Sales, but otherwise, everything else goes onto my 1TB Data Drive, or 2TB Program/Games array.

Same for my laptop. Programs, documents, music go on the 120GB SSD, videos and other downloads go on the 640GB HDD (500GB Data Partition) and time machine backs up the SSD to a 140GB Backup Partition on that HDD.

I hate trying to work with limited space and having to manage different drives, but SSDs are worth it.
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

I start to look into cleaning mine up when it gets to the 75%-80% mark. I don't tend to do it until I physically can't fit anything onto the hard drive or, if I'm on windows, get that annoying little message saying that I have x amount of space left.
When I actually do need to clean up my drive/s though I tend to just look at all the movies I've crap I've downloaded and used/watched once or twice and will probably never watch again. Most of the time that clears up a couple of gigabytes, but if it's still not enough I'll either move things along to external storage or go on a mass clean up and remove anything I don't need/want.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old September 17th, 2012, 03:19 AM
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter

I usually let my internal hard drive fill up to about 90% then delete everything Ive downloaded after moving it to my external. Thats getting rather full atm as well though so I will probably just have to buy a new one soon.
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
When I hit below 4 GB on my puny SSD.

Thank goodness I've obliterated the OSX install on my SSD that was being as crashy as possible on a MacBook Air and went Windows only, reclaiming 44 GB of space. (!)
Hey, it's Twiggy here. Or Twiggy, if you prefer. I like Servine and Noivern a lot. I'm paired with Kip. I like Katy Perry. I want a Chespin plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
Links
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I have about 400 GBs on my hard drive.
I keep all of my music in iTunes Match, so that frees up 101.39 GBs of space that would otherwise be on my computer.
I delete TV shows and movies after I finish watching them if I've downloaded them from the internet, legally or otherwise.
I have a Dropbox Pro account with 100 GBs available.

I don't worry about running out of room.
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:52 AM
何贤豪

For my computer, I rarely do some deleting, because the only things that come and go in there would be updates of applications + my graphics driver, pictures and music. And that's not that often. It's pretty rare. So it's rare for me to be severely pushed to clean up.
·Friend Code·My Claims·
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Usually around 20 gigs or so I like to clear some space up..
I'm at around 39 now out of 300gb so I am okay for a bit :3
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
I have like 55GB left on my 320GB hard drive, and I'm personally fine with it. If that goddamn winsxs folder didn't get so damn big, I'd have another 20GB to spare. I try to keep to a minimum what I put on here, and sometimes prune some things just to save space. I have plenty of backups though!
Old October 13th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
1 TB hdd, when I get under 50 gb then I start putting stuff on disc and deleting it from the computer.

It's sitting at 102 gb now, but thats because I burned about 20 discs worth of stuff the last couple of days. (I've got another 30 discs worth of stuff to still burn too. I don't burn the discs to capacity, unless its a general backup, I usually burn a certian number of files per disc (10/15) or only a single series (Most of my dled anime run ~70-100 mb compressed mkv's, instead of the uncompressed 200-300 mb avi's.)
Follower of Carlinism since 2008.

Come play Runescape
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM
The Corrupt Plague
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
I'm a bit of a miser when it comes to space. 588gb free of 682 gb. Of course, it also helps that I can't download full movies to begin with due to slow internet.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Right now, I'm hovering at just below 60GB free on a 220GB hard drive that was claimed to be a 250GB. Besides wondering why they're overstating their HD capacity, I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously considering buying myself a 1TB external drive (since getting a new computer with that much memory is out of the question financially).

Once I get it and copy all my files as backup, I might go ahead and clear out those anime series that I don't watch too often, as those videos are what's taking up the lion's share of my disk space. I don't want to delete them till I have them stored elsewhere, though. After all, I might still watch them from time to time.

I might also clear out some of my accumulated fanart once I get it onto a backup drive... those high-resolution pics of Leaf, Pretty Cure, and other anime cuties also take up a good amount of space.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP