The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 13th, 2012 (12:15 AM).
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Brave

Johto or Sinnoh?

Quite a simple question, which region between Johto or Sinnoh do you prefer? Did Johto's nostalgic charm encapsulate you? Or did the breath of fresh air Sinnoh gave us, reel you in? Travel wise, which is more frustrating? (Other than flying) Did the routes in Johto have you in fits of frustration? Did Sinnoh's forests prove easy to navigate? What routes intriguied you the most about this region? How about the graphics? Did the scenery look far surperior in Sinnoh than Johto? Vice versa?

Both for me, I found to be really interesting regions, Johto's routes were spectacular, they were vivid, lively and colourful. While Sinnoh's did pertain some of these qualities too, it didn't have the same vibrance compared to that of Johto's. If i had to choose between the to though, ultimately I'd opt for Johto. Sinnoh's routes were great, yes but some proved particularly tedious and at certain points in my journey, I'd often quit half way through a route, because I had found another boulder puzzle, or encountered yet another wild Golbat.
Old September 13th, 2012 (12:59 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I guess Johto for me... Maybe it's because of nostalgia and because I played in Johto more times than in Sinnoh.

But if I were to take it from anime perspective, I liked Sinnoh saga more.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 13th, 2012 (03:29 AM).
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I have to say I prefer Sinnoh. I didn't have the nostalgia as HG/SS was my first time playing in the Johto region so it too was new to me. I just found Sinnoh a far more interesting and varied place. It had many frustrating qualities sure but the mix of terrain and the well designed routes and cities were incredible imo.
Old September 13th, 2012 (10:22 AM).
xxReshiramxx

Nature: Gentle
I'd have to say that I like Sinnohmore then Johto. Sinnoh had a lot of cooler looking Pokemon in myeyes and more Legendary's to soft-resist for to get them shiny.
Old September 13th, 2012 (10:25 AM).
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
Johto for nostalgic reasons... and cuz HG/SS had better graphics than Platinum, i suppose graphics wise Johto was better as well. If I had to choose tho, id be indecisive. Sinnoh was awesome, and although I finished the game about 2-3 years ago, I still remember parts and the routes were amazing.
Old September 13th, 2012 (01:01 PM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Sinnoh, Johto has it's time but since Sinnoh came along there's something that I really warmed to about that region.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old September 13th, 2012 (01:48 PM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Sinnoh for me, cos it has some of my fave Pokemon and has a more interesting scenery.
Old September 14th, 2012 (03:20 AM).
Apricots
Cream Puff

I prefer Sinnoh aesthetically. The area is generally more interesting and diverse to me. Johto still holds a special place in my heart, though, just like they all do, especially for nostalgia.

tumblr | deviantart | pixiv | twitter
Old September 14th, 2012 (09:59 AM).
Umbr30n
Laggity Laggity Flash Crash!

Who wouldn't love Johto better?

Johto has everything. The Pokemon (Especially Umbreon). The Game Corner. Pokeathlon. EVERYTHING IS FLAWLESS.

As for Sinnoh, it's EXTREMELY tedious, boring music, introduced some of the worst Pokemon known today (Although Unova was worse) and is just a waste of time.

So, it's Johto hands down.

Old September 14th, 2012 (10:17 AM).
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Johto hands down. I don't care much for the Sinnoh Pokemon but Johto has the game corner (even though I hate the game corner in HG/SS, as for they ruined it). It's also got Kanto in it which is a bonus imo. Don't get me wrong the Sinnoh region games are fun, its just that the Johto ones are 100x better.

Old September 14th, 2012 (03:35 PM).
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Sinnoh, a new region is much greater you know? xD

I also like for having the Battle Frontier again! And the 4th gen Pokemon of course...
Old September 14th, 2012 (03:47 PM).
Brendino
Oh good grief.

For me, Sinnoh seemed to have a very Hoenn vibe to it. From the region being a large island, to having a city in the North which is secluded from the rest of them, to the Pokemon League located on an island to the East of the mainland. Sinnoh was also a lot larger than Johto, but I don't neccessarily think that it made it better.

Also growing up on Gold, I think that Johto holds a special place in my heart, which made me love it even more in the remakes.

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old September 17th, 2012 (05:53 PM).
Pokemon_Geek
Togepi

While both regions had strong mythologies, I felt Johto actually kept it along with the present while Sinnoh only has bits and pieces that you just happen to stumble across.

Real gamers play for fun.
Old September 18th, 2012 (11:50 AM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

To me, Johto felt like a unified nation, whose geographical changes felt organic and whose landscape felt kind of natural. Sinnoh - though still a fine region in comparison to Unova/Hoenn - felt a bit more like a mishmash of ideas clumped together with little-to-no thought as to how they'd look together.
Old September 18th, 2012 (11:56 AM).
Thomas
HAIL HYDRA!
Community Supporter

^Exactly what Mr Cat Dog said.

I always felt like I was looking for the right way to go. I was back tracking a lot, not sure if it was the right thing to do or not. Johto felt really natural and with the exception of the two pathways at Ecruteak...it was straightforward and you always knew where you were going and what you had to do to progress further into the game.
Old September 18th, 2012 (12:00 PM).
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

I prefer Johto for too many reasons to count but one particular feature that stuck out for me was the lore of the legendary Pokemon that inhabited the region such as the legendary gerbils being petrified in the Burnt Tower and how they came to be that way.

Gotta love the high life.
Old September 18th, 2012 (12:16 PM).
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Johto for me. For nostalgic reasons, and I just never really got into Sinnoh.

Old September 18th, 2012 (12:48 PM).
Rodriguezjames55
No Jokes #MegaCharizard

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
johto is with out a doubt better aesthetic wise and plain design pokemon wise you got sneasle houndoom typholision all sinnoh got is rotom
Old September 18th, 2012 (03:01 PM).
WillPowerPedro
https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson

Nature: Jolly
SINNOH. Most definitely Sinnoh. I hate Johto so much. I thought the pokemon in Johto were just wierd and the pokedex was screwed up with half the pokemon being evolutions of Kanto (I honestly don't remember... :P ). I liked the Sinnoh because I enjoyed the gameplay, loved the pokemon, and most of all, loved the characters and how the story progressed.

sorry i am like never active on here anymore but you should hmu on my soundcloud or sumthin, fam
Old September 19th, 2012 (06:57 AM).
Mentalii
Back

Johto *v* My favourite region ever ! Amazing towns, awesome Pokémon, each gym leader is interesting (while I don't really like Sinnoh gym leader...), and the "evil team plot" is great, the soundtrack is beautiful... I really liked 2nd gen games.
Sinnoh is, on the contrary, my least favourite region... I was disappointed by Sinnoh. I can't find a town that stay away from the others, there are even "useless" cities, if I can say, such as Floaroma or Solaceon, whereas in Johto we don't have towns like that... Then I'm not fond of the Pokémon from the 4G. And as I already said, the gym leaders are less interesting to my mind.

Old September 19th, 2012 (08:44 AM).
Pokemon_Geek
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
To me, Johto felt like a unified nation, whose geographical changes felt organic and whose landscape felt kind of natural. Sinnoh - though still a fine region in comparison to Unova/Hoenn - felt a bit more like a mishmash of ideas clumped together with little-to-no thought as to how they'd look together.
That was another thing about Sinnoh I disliked. Like you said, it didn't feel natural and lacked variety in most of their towns/cities. I was extremely disappointed that half the region wasn't covered in snow and that there should have been more ice pokemon to reflect that since one of Platinum's selling points was about about how much colder the region was. Being known as the "winter region" would have really helped it stand out on its own when compared to Kanto's "Basic region", Johto's "Modern-Fuedal region", Hoenn's "Summer-Tropical region", and Unova's "Futuristic region".

I also hated having to back track so much(this was the only region where I really need Fly). I also forgot to mention how that other than Cyrus and Cynthia's battle music and the Legendary battle music; Sinnoh has the worst music. I had to play on mute 90% of the time.

Real gamers play for fun.
Old September 19th, 2012 (09:09 AM).
Rambagos
Mime Jr.

Nature: Modest
Wel, what were exactly question we talking about in this thread? Is it the route, location, Map, or its Pokèmon? I love Johto because it maps and location was so natural. But for its Pokèmon..... as you can see, Johto's Pokèmon are get inspired from pre-evolved Kanto's Pokèmon like Pikachu, Clefairy and Jigglpuff. Meanwhile, for Sinnoh.... I will say this Pokèmon's region are amazingly strong and cool. No wonder Me and others member have their favorite Pokèmon mostly in generation IV :3
Old September 19th, 2012 (01:15 PM).
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
But Sinnoh had more evolutions/pre-evolutions of past Pokémon than Johto surely... I count 16 introduced in Generation II (excluding the two Eeveelutions, since there are also two of those from Gen. IV) and 27 introduced in Generation IV. Granted some of those are for the same Pokémon (Magmar, Electabuzz etc.), but still.

Old September 19th, 2012 (01:50 PM).
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Geek View Post
That was another thing about Sinnoh I disliked. Like you said, it didn't feel natural and lacked variety in most of their towns/cities. I was extremely disappointed that half the region wasn't covered in snow and that there should have been more ice pokemon to reflect that since one of Platinum's selling points was about about how much colder the region was. Being known as the "winter region" would have really helped it stand out on its own when compared to Kanto's "Basic region", Johto's "Modern-Fuedal region", Hoenn's "Summer-Tropical region", and Unova's "Futuristic region".

I also hated having to back track so much(this was the only region where I really need Fly). I also forgot to mention how that other than Cyrus and Cynthia's battle music and the Legendary battle music; Sinnoh has the worst music. I had to play on mute 90% of the time.
I can see the pattern now, and now that you mention it, it really would have been nice if Sinnoh was a bit more colder to follow your predicted theme. And if I can recall directly the protagonists do in fact have gear/clothes suitable for chilly climates. So perhaps Sinnoh was based around having a cold climate, but maybe it just wasn't incorporated enough throughout the regions design to exemplify this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambagos View Post
Wel, what were exactly question we talking about in this thread? Is it the route, location, Map, or its Pokèmon? I love Johto because it maps and location was so natural. But for its Pokèmon..... as you can see, Johto's Pokèmon are get inspired from pre-evolved Kanto's Pokèmon like Pikachu, Clefairy and Jigglpuff. Meanwhile, for Sinnoh.... I will say this Pokèmon's region are amazingly strong and cool. No wonder Me and others member have their favorite Pokèmon mostly in generation IV :3
The discussions around comparing the two regions generally. All up which did you prefer? Why?, etc.
Old September 19th, 2012 (06:23 PM).
BiGoDeViN28
Psalm 141:3

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Geek View Post
I also forgot to mention how that other than Cyrus and Cynthia's battle music and the Legendary battle music; Sinnoh has the worst music. I had to play on mute 90% of the time.
WAT?!?!1one!1???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2DSdeFZ69M

Sinnoh had AMAZING music! :(

Seriously, though, Sinnoh had good music. I, personally, don't hate any Gen's/Region's music but Sinnoh had really good music. 3rd or 2nd best, IMO.
Johto's music was good, but Sinnoh had fresh music. It had this french overtone to it. It was calm and relaxing. I really enjoyed it.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

White - Devin - 5458-6886-1446
Heart Gold - Gold - 3998-4088-8997
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links