• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Would You Improve the Lesser-Used Pokemon?

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
With the advent of Black and White (and its sequels) we were introduced to Hidden Abilities and new attacks that made a lot of the older Pokemon, which were otherwise forgotten in Generation IV, more useful. Through BW, we got a Ninetales with the Drought ability, a Venomoth with Quiver Dance, a Cloyster with Shell Smash, a Sharpedo with the Speed Boost ability, an Espeon with the Magic Bounce ability, and much more.

This has given the competitive field way more Pokemon to choose from when building their teams, which is fantastic for the game in general, because this means that way more Pokemon have a shot in matches against tougher players. Of course, there are still fully-evolved Pokemon that are underpowered in relation to the higher tiers. Now, I'm all for the idea of every fully-evolved Pokemon having an equal shot at victory in competitive matches without being relegated to their own low-tier section of competition. I would love nothing more than to see a Banette or a Pinsir holding its own in the big leagues. What I'm proposing is that we should devise new ways in which these lesser used Pokemon can improve so that they could have a better shot in higher tiers of competition.

So, I've compiled this list of all the Pokemon considered low-tier or "never used" by the competitive community Smogon, who uses these tiers to keep the game balanced in its current state. Here are the "never used" Pokemon*:

Absol, Alomomola, Altaria, Ampharos, Arbok, Ariados, Armaldo, Articuno, Audino, Banette, Basculin, Bastiodon, Beartic, Beautifly, Beedrill, Beeheeyem, Bellossom, Braviary, Butterfree, Cacturne, Camerupt, Carnivine, Castform, Chatot, Cherrim, Chimecho, Cinccino, Corsola, Cradily, Delcatty, Delibird, Dewgong, Dodrio, Drifblim, Dunsparce, Dustox, Eelektross, Electrode, Emboar, Emolga, Exeggutor, Exploud, Farfetch'd, Fearow, Flareon, Floatzel, Furret, Garbodor, Gardevoir, Gigalith, Girafarig, Glaceon, Glalie, Golduck, Golem, Granbull, Grumpig, Heatmor, Hypno, Illumise, Kangaskhan, Kecleon, Kingler, Kricketune, Lapras, Leafeon, Leavanny, Ledian, Lickilicky, Liepard, Linoone, Lopunny, Lumineon, Lunatone, Luvdisc, Magcargo, Mantine, Maractus, Marowak, Masquerain, Mawile, Meganium, Mightyena, Miltank, Minun, Mothim, Mr. Mime, Muk, Musharna, Noctowl, Octillery, Pachirisu, Pelipper, Persian, Phione, Pidgeot, Pikachu, Pinsir, Plusle, Probopass, Purugly, Raichu, Rampardos, Rapidash, Raticate, Regice, Regigigas, Regirock, Relicanth, Samurott, Sawk, Seaking, Seismitoad, Serperior, Seviper, Shuckle, Simipour, Simisage, Simisear, Skuntank, Slaking, Solrock, Spinda, Stantler, Stunfisk, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Swalot, Swanna, Swellow, Swoobat, Tauros, Torkoal, Torterra, Tropius, Unfezant, Unown, Ursaring, Vanilluxe, Vespiquen, Vileplume, Wailord, Walrein, Watchog, Weezing, Whiscash, Wigglytuff, Wormadam, Zangoose

*I skipped Pokemon that are not fully evolved and Pokemon that can still be used in the "overused" or "uber" tier. Pikachu and Raichu are separate due to Light Ball. Pokemon with the Moody ability were also skipped due to the fact that the ability is broken enough to make the Pokemon more than usable (which is exactly why the ability was banned).

That's over a hundred Pokemon that aren't yet good enough to fight in the higher tiers. Now, I'm aware that much of these Pokemon haven't been revised yet due to BW2 changes still being tested, so for the Pokemon you think are going to eventually be of overused quality thanks to BW2, just ignore them and focus on Pokemon you believe are in need of an upgrade.

So, here's what you can do:

1) You can propose new moves for Pokemon. You can choose from moves that already exist, but if you think that a Pokemon could benefit from a unique signature move, go ahead and post the move and tell us what it does.

2) You can give a Pokemon a new ability, even if it already has two abilities and a hidden ability. They can either be ones that already exist or ones you make up. However, please try to choose/create an ability that fits the Pokemon's physical attributes (i.e. Don't just say "Leavanny should have Flash Fire because it's 4x weak to Fire attacks", because Leavanny has no fire-based characteristics that would validate such an ability).

3) You can create a new evolution for a Pokemon if you choose. However, the evolution must fall under these traditional rules:

-3a) You cannot give an evolution to a Pokemon who has reached the third stage of development (i.e. Pidgeot and Beautifly cannot evolve again). The reasoning behind the 3-stage evolution rule is because of how it closely mimics the natural stages of metamorphosis: the larval/infant stage, the transitional/pupa stage, and the adult stage.

-3b) You cannot give an evolution to a Pokemon who has already evolved by stone (i.e. Flareon and Musharna cannot evolve again). Traditionally, when a Pokemon evolves by stone, that is its final form.

If there is anything else you think could be changed or added to improve a lesser-used Pokemon, go ahead and give it a post. Basically, think of ways in which a Pokemon could be more of a threat in competition. Are there any moves you feel the Pokemon is missing? Also, think about ways in which you could make certain Pokemon unique from others like it. For instance, what could you change about Noctowl or Pidgeot to make it stand out from other bird Pokemon?

Also, you can suggest changes to something in the battle system if you feel it's holding these Pokemon back (i.e. Type X should not be weak to Type Y, poison effects should work in this way, I think this ability is useless because... etc.). The only thing I don't advise doing is directly changing a Pokemon's stats (that is, without applying the effect of an alternate forme, ability, or hold item); I just don't think Game Freak would ever do something like that (the only time it's happened has been with the Special stat being split in two).

So, with that out of the way, I'll get things rolling. I think Castform is in desperate need of a Rock-type Sand Forme so that it can be more useful in teams based around Sandstorm. After all, a sandstorm is a type of meteorological phenomenon. Given the new Rock-type forme to work with, Castform should be able to learn Rock- and Ground-based attacks to take advantage of this. I would give it the ability to learn Magnitude, Earthquake, Sand Tomb, and Rock Slide, as those are attacks that have something to do with earth-based natural disasters. I think it should also be able to learn Heat Wave and Hurricane to take further advantage of sunny and rainy conditions. Castform is a Pokemon built to react to weather conditions in order to become stronger in battle, yet its mediocre stats are not good enough for it to be considered a strong choice in weather teams. Since Castform is a rather special Pokemon built around weather, I think it would be a great idea to give it its own special item. Here it is:

Cloud Charm
A glass amulet with a cloud inside. Raises two of Castform's stats by 1.5x depending on the weather, as well as changing its ability while maintaining its type.
If it's sunny, it raises Special Attack and Speed, ability is Flame Body
If it's raining, it raises Defense and Special Defense, ability is Rain Dish
If it's hailing, it raises Special Attack and Special Defense, ability is Snow Cloak
If a sandstorm is raging, it raises Attack and Defense, ability is Solid Rock

I think these two changes would make Castform much more usable on weather teams, amongst Pokemon that are more often preferred for their better stats and abilities.

Now it's your turn! Try to come up with ways on how a specific Pokemon could be better in battle. Also, feel free to discuss why any of the changes suggested here would be good or bad (or maybe even too good), and help out by contributing what you think would make the Pokemon more competitively balanced; constructive criticism is always welcome! :)

Last edited:

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
My brother used to have Tropius, Lunatone and Vespiquen in his usual party.

I always tried to use Castform but I'd get too frustrated with it.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Just came up with another idea. This time, I chose to give some fixes to Noctowl.

Calm Mind: Noctowl has good Sp.Atk and Sp.Def but has no way to capitalize on it, so I'm surprised it doesn't have Calm Mind. It even works well with Noctowl, since the Pokedex states that it rotates its head when it needs to think, sharpening its intellectual power.
Miracle Eye: Considering how many Psychic attacks Noctowl has access to despite its typing, and how its specialized eyes can see even with minimal light, I think it should also gain access to Miracle Eye; this would allow it to hit Dark-types with its plethora of Psychic attacks.
Shadow Sneak: This will give Noctowl its own priority attack and another way to super-effectively hit Ghosts. Of course, given its low 50 Attack stat, the attack isn't nearly as powerful as Shadow Ball, but if you need a quick strike for some reason, this would be Noctowl's only option. It fits due to Noctowl's ability to silently hunt prey.
Grass Knot: Noctowl needs a reliable way to stop Rock-types from walling it completely. Since Xatu can already learn this move due to its psychic nature, it would make sense that Noctowl, with its control over psychic power, could use it too. And when you consider it's a hunter that might wait patiently in trees for its prey, creating traps out of grass and leaves would seem like the kind of thing it would do.

By adding these four moves, this could emphasize Noctowl's niche as a Normal-Flying type with strengths in special attack-based combat and wide range of Psychic-type moves, while covering one of its biggest threats and gaining a support move for its Psychic attacks.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
If they were to improve Jumpluff they should have given it good special attack and introduced a new ability called Growth which would have raised its speed and special attack in sun (probably a better version of chlorophyl)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If they were to improve Jumpluff they should have given it good special attack and introduced a new ability called Growth which would have raised its speed and special attack in sun (probably a better version of chlorophyl)

Growth is already the name of a Pokemon attack, but what that ability does seems kind of cool, even though it's overpowered compared to both Chlorophyll and Solar Power.

Anyway:
-I'd make Superpower one of Spinda's egg moves and move tutors. The Contrary Spinda from the DW has the move, but it still can't learn Superpower via tutoring or breeding
-I'd also make Superpower a move tutor for Serperior so that it has another way to hit Steels and, more importantly, abuse Contrary (if it's ever released)
-Let's not forget the obligatory "Flareon should get Flare Blitz"; Flareon is in desperate need of a stronger physical Fire STAB

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'd love another evolution for a bunch of the Pokemon listed in the OP. Especially ones for Absol, Girafarig, Mr. Mime, Pinsir, Sudowoodo and Tropius, as I think they have a lot of potential that isn't being used in their current forms. Improved movesets for these new critters would also go a long way. Finally, as shallow as it may seem, better designs can hit people on a subconscious level, and more 'unpopular' Pokemon might get more use if they look better after another evolution.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
I have other ideas for changes to encourage more Pokemon competitively.

Much like how Magnemite and Magneton were given the steel typing in generation two (albeit because the type didn't exist in generation 1), many of the listed Pokemon could benefit from a secondary type or type change.

Vespiquen- Drop the Flying type and give it a Dark type
Beartic- Pair that Ice type with either Water or Fighting
Noctowl- I could see the bird with a Psychic/Flying type instead
Golduck- Give that duck some mind powers! It's pre-evolution has "psy" in its name!
Kingler- Crustle is a bug-type hermit crab, so why not Kingler?
Eelektross- I'm surprised that this one is on the list- it doesn't have any weaknesses due to levitate. I hate that, so get rid of that ability and give it a poison type.
Emboar- Make it aesthetically pleasant and a quadruped. And get rid of that ridiculous fire/fighting typing and give it fire/dark instead. Please.
Samurott- Make it stand up and give it water/fighting.
Lopunny, Kangaskhan, Ursaring, Granbull- Perhaps a fighting type? Or a dark type for Granbull?

Most Pokemon you listed could use an evolution or an increase to their base stats. And some of them are just hopeless.

Back