Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Reload this Page HGSS Did you think HGSS lived up to the reputations of GSC?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old July 13th, 2012 (08:16 AM).

I actually hated HG/SS. I ended up quitting them because I got frustrated. Right now I'm playing Silver and I can't help but thinking it's so much better than the remakes.
Old July 18th, 2012 (08:15 AM).
Likes Hacks and Official Games

They should of sorted out the level curve in HG/SS by blocking off that route to M town until after you beat the Olivine leader

Get some Sims 3 stuff now

Old July 18th, 2012 (08:48 AM).
Legendary Trainer

Nature: Calm
I love the remake, right now I´m just about to fight elite four.
but one thing that I don´t like is that they changed the game place in golden rood before there were funny mini games where you could get good prices not it´s ****, anything else, is done REALLY good and I actually like the remake much more, and they did a GREAT job at keeping the nostalgic feeling
5/5
Old July 28th, 2012 (06:57 PM).
turn up the engine
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to s0nido
I've always said that HG/SS are the best Pokemon games made to date, and for good reason. They took (arguably) the best Pokemon games and remastered them amazingly, then added something more to these games to give them a fresh, new appeal. Some of the changes were annoying, such what appeared to be a last-minute inclusion of the Ho-oh/Lugia battles. Otherwise, I really loved playing HG/SS and I'd even say that these games not only lived up to the reputations of GSC, but far exceeded them. They are better games in almost every way. Sure, they can never match the nostalgia factor that GSC retains, but in every other aspect, HG/SS is the best Pokemon RPG to date.
Old August 5th, 2012 (05:23 AM).
-

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Patchy
If I'm honest I never actually liked GSC...if I ever felt the need to play an older game around the time of RSE I just went with Red usually. I did play GSC all the way through when I got them, and I did get all 3, but it was only later I sort of looked at them and something about them really didn't appeal to me - it didn't seem like a Pokemon game, I dunno...but HGSS were amazing! I think my favourite part was the Pokemon following you around, I wish they wouldn't remove that haha.

I also loved the new sprites - one that always stands out is Mew, I loved its Gen III sprite but hated its DPPt one. They made a nice one in HGSS and went backwards in Black. :(
Old August 8th, 2012 (04:00 PM).
Forever Raichu

Nature: Quiet
Yes, they remastered them magnificently. Easily the greatest pokemon games of all time.

Grunge is dead
"It's better to burn out than to fade away..."
Old August 11th, 2012 (05:40 PM).
Woah

Nature: Relaxed
[SIZE="a"]It is like one of the best
Pokeathlete
I loved that[/SIZE]
Old August 11th, 2012 (10:30 PM).
What's wrong? Too spooky?

Nature: Modest
HG/SS is easily the best Pokemon game I've ever played. I liked G/S/C but they completely made this game 10000 times better. This is also the only game where I've completed the entire Pokedex and my trainer card has 4 stars. (Battle Frontier just isn't my thing)

|Have a read|Please notify me if (and which) one of the .GIFs is too large so I can remove it.|
Old August 12th, 2012 (03:58 AM). Edited August 12th, 2012 by Perico.
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
Personally I think HG and SS have been developed gladly, they really strove to make it. I mean they were not like "Oh! Another Pokémon game, let's make it and sell it." They made it thinking about the past successful versions G/S/C so they knew if they tried, they would probably succeed as they did previously with G/S/C.
You just have to check how many new and cool feautures (besides the well-done remake of the games) they added: Pokéwalker, Pokémon following you or the possibility of listening to the old theme music.
So, in my opinion, this is a great remake and a great game, which I can't compare to any previous game (not even to B/W) of the franchise. They have everything we liked from G/S/C plus the new features.

Allez, hop!
Old August 18th, 2012 (09:50 PM).

Nature: Serious
HGSS lived up to GSC's reputations. They polished a lot of the game and made it a thousand times cooler. It's easily one of my all time favourite games.
Old August 26th, 2012 (05:14 AM).
Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Eeveelution Co-ordinator
I loved HGSS but not GSC, just better graphics and it has pokeathlon

White 2:
Old September 1st, 2012 (03:34 AM).

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Fangking Omega:
This is an odd one for me.

I imported Gold and Silver from the States as soon as they were out, essentially 6 months before they were out in the UK (seems ridiculous doesn't it). Anyway, I came home from school on the Friday to be presented them by my Mummy and had the whole weekend to experience the first NEW generation which in a lot of ways to a kid like me was more exciting than Gen I itself. I was going to a new region to discover new Pokémon... DAY AND NIGHT PASSED LIKE IN REAL LIFE! And I could breed my Pokémon. And I could finally get Togepi and Marill in a game! New gyms! 16 gyms! I pulled my first ever all-nighter playing Gold. My mum would probably still kill me today if she realised!

So the nostalgia factor was pretty huge when I heard HGSS were coming. And yup, they looked great in the pre-release screenshots. I was finally going back to Johto!

I got there and I realised it just wasn't as interesting as it had been back then. I clocked up hundreds of hours on both Gold and Silver, and then even more on Crystal when it came out. Playing SoulSilver, I realised Johto was a bit small... and the story wasn't so great. And going back to Kanto?? Meh. It was over in a flash - the gyms really needed some sort of level scaling up. Plus I'd already had my fill of the Gen IV mechanics through playing Pearl and Platinum fiercely. And Sinnoh actually stands up as a more interesting region to me.

Still, there was a lot of nostalgia to be gleaned from playing, and the post game features were exceptional. But it never quite matched the feeling of playing the original Gold and Silver as that 10 year old. So in some ways the flaws of Johto and Kanto soiled that for me.

HGSS fell short of expectations in many ways, but it was still a treat to relive those countless hours I invested in catching 250 Pokémon (never got Celebi!) back in the day, the visuals were nice, the post game experience was brilliant and the games fit very well into Gen IV.
I think this is an excellent depiction for just how much nostalgia really means, when it comes to games, tv programmes, films and so on.

I was relatively late in proclaiming my love for Pokemon, I never actually played any of the first two generations when they came out at all. At the time, I probably didn't even know they existed. I was more of a passive fan to the anime and TCG, really. My first ever Pokemon game was LeafGreen, although I had briefly watched my friend playing Sapphire and thinking that it was everything I looked for in a game. I, almost literally, worshipped those games. I had clocked over 400 hours since the last time I've played, and I had done everything there was to do several times. I never grew bored and I was just as excited at the 300th hour mark as I was when I chose Charmander as my starter. Compare this to HeartGold, in which my time stands at fifty hours or so and with a large number of Pokemon to catch and trainers to beat. This was my first time playing through the Johto region, and I even got to go to the Kanto region, although in truth, they could've done a lot more with Kanto. Everything was new and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it didn't have the effect on me that my first Pokemon game did. Nostalgia is a truly powerful feeling, particularly as our childhood can be the happiest and most care free of times.

Anyway, that's enough from me. The things I liked about the remakes were the culture of the region. It had a distinctly more 'oriental' feel to it. The Johto region really was like Japan to me, with the soundtrack and locations in the game. This really appealed to me. I also have to complement the looks of the game, definitely a contender for the most beautiful Pokemon game. The story was enjoyable, and was certainly more like a realistic criminal organisation. Although, I probably prefer the far fetched criminal ideals.

But, despite all those great things I never enjoyed these games as much as some of the others. I can't really name many things in particular I didn't like, but the other games just gripped me more I guess. Maybe it's because I didn't have the nostalgia factor when playing through this game. I certainly think a remake of the Hoenn games would have me as giddy as a schoolgirl!
Old September 1st, 2012 (05:31 AM). Edited September 1st, 2012 by Pokemon_Trainer_Danny.
Slateport resident

Nature: Calm
I was sceptic towards the remakes. I'm sceptic towards most remakes, because of my bad experience with them. Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories (entirely different game, but stay with me) was horrible, imo. It took most of the magic from the original GBA version away for me. I can't quite explain it, but it did.

Most remakes sort of spoil the original games for me...

HeartGold and SoulSilver though... congrats, Game Freak. They managed to re-make the Gold/Silver/Crystal games I loved most in the Pokémon series, but combined it with something new. I approve of the remake, but just this once. I stand by my opinion though, I despise remakes of timeless classics.
Old September 3rd, 2012 (12:21 PM).
Nothing shredded, nothing gained.
ModeratorCS

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
I was very happy with how Fire Red/Leaf Green turned out (aside from there not being much to do post-game), so I had high expectations of HeartGold/SoulSilver going in, and they didn't disappoint. Things like the new Safari Zone, the inclusion of the Battle Frontier and the Pokeathlon just gave us that much more to do on top of what there already was from the originals.

The only small thing that I believe was a downgrade was having Voltorb Flip instead of the original Game Corners. I understand the reasoning behind it, but now we couldn't even buy coins if we wanted any of the prizes, which was annoying (but I loved the remix to the Game Corner music, so it made playing it much more tolerable).
Old September 3rd, 2012 (04:23 PM).
A trainer that is a musician

I would say that the HG/SS series are my favorite series up to date being so close/similar/more updated of the original. I'd say they did a good job putting this one together. It's nice, smooth, and it has a lot of replay value.

http://djknitex.com - Arkansas Rapper & DJ
Old September 3rd, 2012 (06:46 PM).

They are a very solid remake in the spirit of the series, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing them. It felt as if someone had blown the dust off of the old manuscript that were the GBC versions and presented the story in a more clear and refined tone.

That being said, nothing can quite beat nostalgia - I still prefer the old ones for whatever reason. They're almost like two entirely different experiences, actually... the old ones are jumping into the world of my youth, but the new ones are like having that world refreshed for a new age... Then again, it's impossible for me as an adult to become so immersed as I once did.
Old September 5th, 2012 (09:45 AM).
The Hard Addiction

Ohmygodohmygod!!! XD

Heart-Gold and Soul-Silver? BEST POKEMON GAMES EVER. Pokeathlon, improved Red Team, an AWESOME umbreon, AND a awesome Game Corner AND more! Who WOULDN'T say it isn't the best? I say it's the best.
Old September 13th, 2012 (01:29 AM).
Back from a break.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjagon
Easily one of the best game ever in my opnion. I mean... Pokemon that follow you! *mychonny voice* HOW COOL IS THAT?! I loved Pokeathlon, i'm pretty good at it too. I think my best for relay run is 21 laps, pretty hectic. Red was different, but no TOO different, so the nostalgic feeling from GSC was still there. There so much to love about HGSS. ESPECIALLY the sprites. Some of the sprites in HGSS are even better than the one's that move in BW. One example is Charizard. HGSS? BEAST! BW? Three year old's work- animated. Another is Tyranitar. HE LOOKS COMPLETELY RETARDED IN BW. In HGSS he looks pretty cool. But yeah that's just some of the stuff I could think of. There's just an endless amount of content. SO MUCH FUN!

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
Old September 15th, 2012 (06:39 PM).
Psalm 141:3

Nature: Adamant
Unlike the rest of you, my nostalgia lies deep within RSE. But I still enjoyed HG/SS a lot. I never really got to enjoy GSC. I was too young and my siblings had dropped pokemon, so I followed. But the remakes gave me a chance to relive what I never got to. Like memories I never had. I liked it, and I can only hope that RSE remakes will have the same distinguished feel.
Old September 15th, 2012 (06:45 PM).
You Crystal Clods!
Crystal Tier

HG/SS definitely lived up to G/S/C's reputation. They did a great job handling the new features and promised to keep all the nostalgia factor in for those who played G/S/C.

I never played G/S/C, but I liked HG/SS due to the improved 4th Gen graphics and the Pokeathlon was kinda fun.
Old September 17th, 2012 (06:04 PM).

Yeah. FireRed/LeafGreen was just Red/Green/Blue/ with GBA graphics and the option to play as a female character. It had a post-game side quest, but it was boring compared to the the other games(and I disliked how I couldn't get Mewtwo until after I unlocked the national dex and explored the Sevii Islands). I also hated how it didn't include something to do outside of battles like Contests. Don't get me wrong, I still love this game.

HG/SS atcually took orginal story of G/S/C and expanded on it in a way that FR/LG failed to. It even added more fun side quests when it didn't need to(really, how many games can you travel through 2 regions in. There's a reason G/S/C spent a decade being considered the best series by many people).

Real gamers play for fun.
Old September 21st, 2012 (04:12 PM).
Momentai :D
Crystal Tier

I think it lived up to them and far exceeded them; the HGSS games were utter brilliance. I always saw GSC as being games that brought in lots of new intricate ideas and concepts to work with, really improving the franchise on the whole, which I believe HGSS did excellently. The following Pokémon, the Pokéathlon, the new Safari Zone, the Battle Frontier, and just everything about the games was so new and amazing and it felt like playing a really special game whilst playing HG. It certainly did live up to the reputations set by Gen II <3
Old September 23rd, 2012 (12:08 AM).
now known as aslan
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
HG/SS... wonderful remakes Gamefreak, good job :3! They definitely improved the classic GBC games. The graphics were stunning and all the new features were great! For example, the follow me feature :D, how awesome it was to have my Pokemon follow me around.

Soundtracks became more epic and gameplay really was enjoyable. The only thing I would probably dislike was the change of Kris. Her design in HG/SS, wasn't what I really expected and liked.

Old September 23rd, 2012 (03:57 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
When I was younger, the first Pokemon game for me to play through was Gold. The first one I actually played was Blue, and the first I actually owned was Yellow, but Gold was the first for me to catch a Pokemon in, to go on an adventure. And I loved it. For years and years and years, I played through it again and again, and it never got old. It's still not old for me, to this day.

In my opinion, HeartGold/SoulSilver were perfect remakes. They just.. knew exactly what they were doing, took all the good aspects from the originals, and mixed them with the great aspects of newer Pokemon games, such as the way the Running Shoes were given, the way the battle with Lance was actually a double battle, and so on. The way they brought a Legendary storyline into play was also very nice- back in GSC, they made it totally optional to capture the Legendary Pokemon, whereas in HGSS, while they take that option away, it was still.. better, somehow.

The increased level curve in Kanto, the addition of older Legendaries, the GB Player, the Battle Frontier.. it not only had a brilliant nostalgia factor, but it had massive playability. I mean I've yet to win properly at the Battle Frontier, so technically I've NOT finished HeartGold yet. It's just.. awesome. Awesome awesome. :D

This one's called 'Blue', and it's very Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)