The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, hens return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Which mode would you choose?
Assist Mode 2 5.26%
Normal Mode 6 15.79%
Challenge Mode 30 78.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cat

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
So with B2W2 comes two new modes Assist Mode and Challenge Mode, the titles are kind of self explanatory; Assist mode decreases the difficulty of the game and Challenge Mode increases the difficulty.

Unfortunately, you can't access these modes until you have completed and defeated the Champion on either Black 2 or White 2 (Assist Mode for White 2 & Challenge Mode for Black 2) Unless you have a friend locally who have unlocked either of these modes.

If you had the option however, which mode would you play in for your first play through?

I would definitely choose Challenge Mode since from the start, I've never played Pokemon in a setting where everything is slightly harder and I love a challenge.

Old September 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Jeremy
Sweetie

Nature: Quirky
Definitely challenge mode, sweetie. I love a challenge.

Infact, I'm buying both versions so I can give myself challenge mode in White 2. I'm not waiting for my friends to beat the game to give me that mode. XD

Facebook Twitter

Old September 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Definitely the latter. Who wants it easier? It's already easy as pie
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Any trainer that has played at least a couple generations should be doing challenge mode. Not sure why theres an assist mode since you have to play it thru normal.
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:27 PM
o Pikachu o
Pikachu

Challenge Mode. Pokémon games are way too easy in my opinion and challenge mode might add a bit of challenge for me.
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Why they invented assist mode is above me. It seems pretty hard to make it easier then it already is. I will take the high level of pokemon as opposed to puny stuff you would get from assist mode. This also seemed to cater a bit for people who do Challenges as it gives them more to work for.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
squirrelfeet
Red Leader

Challenge mode. Bonus Exp. points for my Pokemon and easier training.
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:49 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
If I had a choice between Assist and Challenge modes pre-National Dex, I'd probably do Challenge mode; I've played the Pokemon games for quite some time, so Normal Mode still might be too easy for me.

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The Sly Fox

Challenge mode, just because I want to see how challenging they actually can make it.

Old September 25th, 2012, 04:12 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
If I can go for all three, then definitely all of them.

If not, challenge mode it is!

could you ····ing not
·
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Zupplu
Hey Listen! ~Navi

Send a message via Skype™ to Zupplu
Challenge mode, but I won't be buying both so I won't be able to do it.
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Rodriguezjames55
No Jokes #MegaCharizard

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
challenge with out a doubt
i hate that you have to start a new game for it tho
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Why would anyone want the game any easier? As it is, I think I've lost 2 battles to the AI in my life, and that was just from poor preparation by being horribly underleveled. Challenge mode would give me extra incentive to grind early on.

Only downside is that I was planning on getting White 2, but I might have to re-evaluate my decision now.

Old September 25th, 2012, 10:18 PM
curiousnathan
I will find you

I was planning to purchase Black 2, as I purchased White previously. With that I'm looking forward ot playing the challenge mode - I think it'll be a little motivation booster fro myself to re-play the game. I have no idea why they woudl create an an assist mode, especially since every main series Pokemon Game has been relatively easy to conquer.

moderator |
lovely pair | PC live
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Mochaccino
Unhatched Egg

I would go for Assist mode in one game (as maybe I'll get to level up faster? that'll help me get to WiFi battles faster), and then Get on Challenge mode out of curiosity

I'm not very found of this idea though...

Last edited by Mochaccino; September 26th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Krazzikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin5 View Post
Why they invented assist mode is above me. It seems pretty hard to make it easier then it already is. I will take the high level of pokemon as opposed to puny stuff you would get from assist mode. This also seemed to cater a bit for people who do Challenges as it gives them more to work for.
I second this. I like to do challenges too from time to time, so that will be interesting, doing a challenge in challenge mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelfeet View Post
Challenge mode. Bonus Exp. points for my Pokemon and easier training.
I also second this. Because the game is already too easy, so challenge mode can't bee TOO hard, and you get more xp to train your pokes!

Overall Assist mode sounds stupid and an insult to us. Advanced, on the contrary. Advanced mode seems like a good idea, as long as they don't screw up the game and make it un-balanced or some joke like that.
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cassino
Møderator

Having an easy, normal and hard mode makes as much sense in Pokemon as it does in any game. I know when I was six and playing Red, it was very difficult for me and I may have appreciated an assist mode at the time. Being now a veteran of the series I would of course pick challenge mode, as would most of us here; but bear in mind that nobody is born a gamer, assist mode has its place.
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
Normal Mode for me, cos I like to play fair and square.

Also, Challenge Mode is a bit overrated for me and Assist Mode is too easy.
And not forget where you’ve come from

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old September 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
ThisOrTheApocalypse
Bananas

I'll probably try out both. However, when it comes down to choosing one for a re run of the game, I'll probably tough it out in Challenge Mode.
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
giradialkia

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
I kinda wish the modes were available at the start, but of course that would sorta set Black 2 and White 2 completely apart from past Pokemon games (which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it'd be a bit too big a change).

Anyway, I guess I'd just do Challenge Mode once I unlock it. I don't see the point in Assist Mode and... Well, I'd already have played through Normal Mode so it'll be interesting to see how much of a heart attack I have when I face the League in Challenge Mode :P

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Demon.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

So if someone with Black 2 beats the game and unlocks challenge mode, will someone with White 2 be able to get challenge mode off of their friends Black 2?

Or is Challenge mode exclusively for black 2?
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Zerrah.
Mauling with Ursaring

I feel like I am so left behind...CHALLENGE MODE?!?! I have been waiting for something like this! I am kinda confused though. Correct me if I'm wrong: Black and White 2 both offer an extra mode, with Black's being the Challenge, and White's being the Assist? And you must play through first on Normal? So there is no way for Black to have Assist, or White to have Challenge?

Friend Safari and DW Pokemon - A Gen VI Trade Thread

3DS Friend Code:
3754 7177 6489
Brittany
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Couriway
leaping through the woods

Nature: Jolly
Challenge mode. Everyone likes a challenge, don't they?
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon. View Post
So if someone with Black 2 beats the game and unlocks challenge mode, will someone with White 2 be able to get challenge mode off of their friends Black 2?

Or is Challenge mode exclusively for black 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerrah. View Post
I feel like I am so left behind...CHALLENGE MODE?!?! I have been waiting for something like this! I am kinda confused though. Correct me if I'm wrong: Black and White 2 both offer an extra mode, with Black's being the Challenge, and White's being the Assist? And you must play through first on Normal? So there is no way for Black to have Assist, or White to have Challenge?
You can transfer the modes to other games using Unova Link. Its one of three options that Unova Link provides.

As for reason to Assist Mode, not everyone can play in normal mode. There are a bunch of younger kids that play this game that don't know what grinding is, or how to train their Pokemon. So when they made a mode to make the game more fun for those that have played the games for a while, they also made a mode for those just starting.

I remember when I first started I couldn't beat Giovanni in Silph Co. Took a bunch of tries but a friend ended up telling me its cause my levels were too low and I was still using Pokemon from the beginning of the game. For those that were like I was 14 years ago, this is a good thing.
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
I had to look up the changes from normal to challenge mode. The only differences are an increase in level (5 at most) and an additional Pokemon on Gym Leaders and Elite Four. More grinding =! more difficult, as such I'd probably do it once and then stick to assist or normal for farming events/legendaries to rng and get through the game faster.

I would be all over this if the puzzles and such were more difficult, though.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links