The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > PC Events > PCX - PokéCommunity 10th Anniversary Get-Together

Notices

PCX - PokéCommunity 10th Anniversary Get-Together Welcome to the PokéCommunity's 10th Anniversary celebrations, the 10th Anniversary Get-Together! Join in the fun and festivities right now!
The Get-Together ends at 11:59 PM (EDT) on September 30! This forum will be closed off on the October 7.

Advertise here

Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:26 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice

Advertise here

PokéCommunity 10th Anniversary Get-Together
Sprite to eXcite

Spriting Rules!

As this is a spriting event, there are a few rules which apply to all images submitted as to ensure that they can be classified as 'pixel art' along with being in a state that can be adequetely judged:

Spoiler:

1. Entries must not be saved as JPG files.

JPG images are what's known as a 'lossy' format, which sacrifice some detail in the image to lower the file size. This is barely noticable on large images like photos, however the compression techniques don't know what to do when they find pixel art, and cause the destructive effect you can see above. Any submissions that appear to have been saved in JPG and affected by the compression will not be considered valid.

2. Entries must not show signs of automatic resizing (enlargment or shrinking)

Using a drawing program to automatically enlarge or shrink an image causes the pixels to be distorted, either blurring them or casuing the size of each pixel to be irregular and 'jumpy'. Both of these effects make it harder to accurately dicipher pixel art and as such, any entries that show signs of pixels that have been resized and therefore distored by computer will be deemed invalid.

It is preferred that entries are submitted in their original size. If you need to make an image larger, people can use the zoom function in their web browsers, or copy it into a program such as Paint and use the zoom tool from there, without modifying the original image.

3. Entries must be drawn in pixels only

Most drawing software allows the user to draw with both simple pixels and smoother brushes, what are known as 'anti-aliasing' - as seen on the second part of the image.

This is an event for pixel art, as a result submissions must only be drawn in pixels, not using the smooth anti-aliased tools seen above. You can use whatever program or tools to draw with, like lines or shapes as long as they don't cause this effect.

4. You may complete the below competitions in any order you'd like. You may choose to do 1, you may choose to do all 3 of them. You are only eligible to win the overall trophy if you complete all of them.

5. Submission Form:
Must submit a form for each entry:

Username:
Competition:
Artwork:
Description:

6. Deadline:
Date: Sunday, September 30th, 2012
Time: 8:00 P.M. Eastern Time

Competition #1 - Repose

Spoiler:

Predict the Future

Before & After 10 Years

Pokemon sure do change a lot in 10 years! What do you think Pokemon will like in the future?
In this competition, you must use any Official Pokemon, and put a futuristic spin on it.

Maximum Canvas Size: 96x96 (B/W Restrictions)

Maximum Colour Count: 24 Colors (Background Color/Transparency not counted as a color)

Animation: Optional

Theme: Futuristic

Description: Optional. You may briefly explain the concept behind your artwork in 1-2 sentences.

Original works only. You may use one existing official sprite as a base for this competition, but you may not cut and paste any other official or unofficial art work to alter the original sprite. For example, if you want to add a flame to a Pokemon, you must sprite the flame yourself, not copy and paste from a Rapidash sprite.

No previously-made work. If you created a sprite for a project, you may not use or alter it for the competition.

Example Entry:
Spoiler:
Username:-ty-
Contest: #1 - Repose
Artwork:

Description:
Jynx has shed herself of her gauche
stage presence, and has found the
courage to pursue her acting and
singing career in the future.

Competition #2 - Item

Spoiler:
Race Against Time

For all of us, we have a 24-hour day, and a 7-day week. During the week of Pokecommunity Get-Together 10, you will have to spend not only your time wisely, but your pixels as well. In this competition, you may only use 24x24 pixels for the image and 7 colors to shade with. Also, you must use the scant amount of resources to convey the theme of "time" in your item sprite.

Maximum Canvas Size: 24x24

Maximum Colour Count: 7 colors (background color/ transparency not counted as a color)

Animation: None

Theme: Time

Description: Optional. You may briefly explain the concept behind your artwork in 1-2 sentences.

Original works only. No editing or cutting together existing sprites will be allowed, nor will be using other artists' sprite work in any way.

No previously-made work.
If you created a sprite for a project, you may not use or alter it for the competition.

Example Entry:
Spoiler:

Username:-ty
Contest: #2- Item
Artwork:

Description:
This is a Held Item that doubles
the effectiveness of sun and moon
based moves including Synthesis,
Morning Sun, Sunny Day and Moonlight.
The Choker is worn around a pokemon's
neck, and contains the shapes of
a sun and crescent moons.

Competition #3 - Accessories

Spoiler:

Steal the Limelight

Some elements that have brought success to the PC over the last 10 years are friendship, creativity, competition, discussion, and above all, a shared interest in Pokemon. The 10th element on the periodic table, Neon, is a symbol of the vibrancy that has placed the PC into the limelight, shining brighter than any other Pokemon Forum . In this competition, you must make 3 accessories for a Pokemon of your choice using neon colors in order to steal the show .

Maximum Canvas Size: 96x96

Maximum Colour Count: 10 colors (only counts the colors used for accessories)

Animation: None

Theme: Limelight - Make your Pokemon standout among the rest.

Accessories: You must create 3 accessories (no more. no less.)

Original works only. You must select only one official Pokemon sprite as a base. No editing or cutting together from any other existing sprites will be allowed, nor will be using other artists' sprite work in any way.

No previously-made work.
If you created a sprite for a project, you may not use or alter it for the competition.

Palette Requirement: You must include these two neon colors in accessories
Lime Green & Hot Pink

Example Entry:
Spoiler:

Username: -ty-
Contest: #3 - Accessories
Artwork:

Description:
I created a ball of golden yarn,
a jeweled pendant, and a luxurious
crown. With a bit of Glitz and Glam,
my Skitty is ready to steal the show.

Judging

Spoiler:

Concept:
Concept-design: 25 points
Concept-creativity: 25 points
Execution:
Line-work: 25 points
Shading: 25 points

Competition Total: 100 Points

Competition #1: 100 Points
Competition #2: 100 Points
Competition #3: 100 Points
Average Scores: Divide by 3

Overall Score: 100 points

Myself, -ty-, and Spherical Ice, will score your sprites.

Prizes

Spoiler:

1) Platinum Portrait - This emblem is awarded to the spriter with the best overall score in PCX - Sprite to eXcite.(1 awarded)

2) Gold Portrait - This emblem is awarded to a spriter with the best score in a single competition in PCX - Sprite to eXcite. (3 awarded)

3) Silver Portrait - This emblem is awarded to a spriter with the second Best score in a competition in PCX - Spriteto eXcite. (3 awarded)

4) Bronze Portrait - This emblem is awarded to a spriter with the third best score in a competition in PCX - Sprite to eXcite. (3 awarded)

5) Jade Portrait - This emblem is awarded to a spriter who participated in PCX - Sprite to eXcite. (unlimited awarded)

Coming Soon!

Last edited by Spherical Ice; September 23rd, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Limanya
Page of Breath

Nature: Docile
Username: Limanya
Competition: Item-Race against Time
Artwork:
Description: The Time Hourglass can be equipped by Celebi or Dialga, and when equippend they have a chance to attack twice in a turn.

Competition: Accesoires-Steal the Limelight
Artwork:
Description: Meloetta's cosplaying?! Indeed, she's wearing Feferi's skirt! Beads in hair and flower sold seperately.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
Liymanya

Spoiler:
Competition: Item-Race against Time
Artwork:
Description: The Time Hourglass can be equipped by Celebi or Dialga, and when equippend they have a chance to attack twice in a turn.

Thanks for that little change!
Approved

Spoiler:
Competition: Accesoires-Steal the Limelight
Artwork:
Description: Meloetta's cosplaying?! Indeed, she's wearing Feferi's skirt! Beads in hair and flower sold seperately.

Approved!

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Last edited by -ty-; September 25th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Punnagg
Advanced Spriter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Punnagg
Username: Punnagg
Competition: Eeveelutator
Artwork:
Description: Its a watch given to hold to eeveelutions to increase their stats by a little. It contains all eeveelutions colours i.e. the nos on watch are red for Flareon, hands are blue for Vaporeon, watch is yellow for Jolteon, outline is black for Umbreon, centre is purple for Espeon & the decorations in clock are for Leafeon & Glaceon.

Last edited by Punnagg; September 28th, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Limanya
Page of Breath

Nature: Docile
ASDFGHJKL i uploaded the wrong version

here's the new one

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Punnagg

Spoiler:
Username: Punnagg
Competition: Eeveelutator
Artwork:
Description: Its a gem given to hold to eeveelutions to increase their stats by a little.

You've saved this as a .JPG file, which destroys the pixel quality and increases the colours. Also, it appears to have no connection to time. Read the first post.
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Also, Punnagg, you could just tweak your description to incorporate time so your don't have to re-sprite it.
So, all you have to do is save the file as a PNG and alter the description a bit and you'll be approved

PM or VM either me or Spherical Ice if you have any more questions
Good Luck!

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
EonNeo
Unhatched Egg

Username: EonNeo
Description: The Brocken Clock prevents the opponent to attack when the Pokemon that is equipped with it enter the battle. It can be used once a battle.
Artwork:
Attached Images
File Type: png PCX Contest - Item.png‎ (415 Bytes, 182 views) (Save to Dropbox)

"Peace can not be kept by the war. It is obtained by understanding." Gundam 00
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Username:Retribution
Artwork:
Description: This held item is a futurist weapon that boosts the power of special-type moves by 10%.

Username: Retribution
Artwork:
Description:
Featuring a funky Blaziken with his hilariously posh outfit; sporting a spiffy top hat, a funky flashy cane and a "Oh, I say" monocle.
----
Wow, the pixel art competition is definitely different to last years. xD I have to admit, I did kinda struggle. xD I also originally had an idea for a weapon that allows every move to be a priority move (that kinda incorporates time xD) at the cost of always enduring recoil damage. XP I wonder if I've given anyone my idea...? xD Anyway, thanks -Ty- and Spherical Ice for hosting btw.

Pokémon Aureolin

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM
EonNeo
Unhatched Egg

Sorry to reply, but I had made a little error in my item.
Here's the right version.
Attached Images
File Type: png PCX Contest - Item.png‎ (416 Bytes, 173 views) (Save to Dropbox)

"Peace can not be kept by the war. It is obtained by understanding." Gundam 00
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

EonNeo

Spoiler:
Username: EonNeo
Description: The Brocken Clock prevents the opponent to attack when the Pokemon that is equipped with it enter the battle. It can be used once a battle.
Artwork:

Approved!

Retribution

Spoiler:
Artwork:
Description: This held item is a futurist weapon that boosts the power of special-type moves by 10%.

Approved!

Spoiler:
Username: Retribution
Artwork:

Description:
Featuring a funky Blaziken with his hilariously posh outfit; sporting a spiffy top hat, a funky flashy cane and a "Oh, I say" monocle.

Approved!

Thanks, we tried to give the competition a different direction; thanks for the great entries

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Username: AlexOzzyCake
Competition: #2
Artwork:
Description: This item uses the power of stored time to raise the holder's Defence and Special Defence by two stages each for the duration of any two-turn move, with the stat increases disappearing at the beginning of the turn after the move is fully completed. Includes moves such as Solar Beam, Skull Bash, Dig, Fly, Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, etc. Does not apply if these moves are shortened to one turn (eg sun speeding up Solar Beam) as no time is being stored.

I intend to enter the other two contests later but right now I'm completely stuck for ideas on them both haha. I spent ages adding accessories to Gardevoir but none of them really fitted the theme so yeah... I'll try those again later in the week :)
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

AlexOzzyCake

Spoiler:
Username: AlexOzzyCake
Competition: #2
Artwork:
Description: This item uses the power of stored time to raise the holder's Defence and Special Defence by two stages each for the duration of any two-turn move, with the stat increases disappearing at the beginning of the turn after the move is fully completed. Includes moves such as Solar Beam, Skull Bash, Dig, Fly, Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, etc. Does not apply if these moves are shortened to one turn (eg sun speeding up Solar Beam) as no time is being stored.

Approved!

Also, Gardevoir would be a nice choice for the third challenge; good luck on putting it all together

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Spoiler:
Username: vaporeon7
Artwork:

Description:
Snacking Nuts
"A bag of nuts from Mistralton City's Airline. Heals 90 HP over 3 turns."
I would have always loved to ride on one of the flights that leave Mistralton City in Unova. I thought that if you ever could, you should get a complementary bag of nuts every time you fly, and that is where my inspiration for this came from. Time comes into the picture with the snacking part. Because you're on a flight, I thought it'd be a gradual healing item because plane flights take a long time.
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

vaporeon7
Spoiler:
Username: vaporeon7
Artwork:

Description:
Snacking Nuts
"A bag of nuts from Mistralton City's Airline. Heals 90 HP over 3 turns."
I would have always loved to ride on one of the flights that leave Mistralton City in Unova. I thought that if you ever could, you should get a complementary bag of nuts every time you fly, and that is where my inspiration for this came from. Time comes into the picture with the snacking part. Because you're on a flight, I thought it'd be a gradual healing item because plane flights take a long time.

Approved!
It's hard to believe there isn't a dispensable healing item that regenerates over a several turns. Cool idea.

Also to everyone else, thanks for the entries.
Remember the themes are open to interpretation.
If you look at "futuristic" in a star-wars kind of way, spriting style change, or by the change in the Pokemon's attire/attitude it doesn't matter. As long as you give a bit of explanation you can really interpret the theme in numerous ways.

Remember to PM either myself or Spherical Ice if you have any questions.
Have Fun!

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
My last entry. :D

Username:Retriution
Artwork:
Description: Well, as you can see the proportions of Pokemon have certainly become more 'realistic'. So yeah, here's a dinosaur-like Charmander. I changed a lot of the proportions, the whole sprite is completely scratch, minus the palette from the B/W Charmander sprite and I made some changed (smaller eyes, larger nostrils, the fire on the tail comes up the tail more, sharper talons and nails on the toes to name just a few.)
Also, some people compare Agumon to Charmander. I did kinda make Charmander look A LOT like a Digmon, haha. xD

Pokémon Aureolin

Old September 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM
BZW Golem
Conspirator~
Community Supporter Tier 5

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BZW Golem
Please, don't kill me, I had this crazy idea and just HAD to make it..
I don't believe I can get a good score for this, but I couldn't stop myself for sharing this xD

Username: BZW Golem
Competition: 1
Artwork:
Spoiler:

Description: This is how all the Tepigs will end!

None at the moment, but Mac rules, just saying.
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Retribution

Spoiler:
Artwork:
Description: Well, as you can see the proportions of Pokemon have certainly become more 'realistic'. So yeah, here's a dinosaur-like Charmander. I changed a lot of the proportions, the whole sprite is completely scratch, minus the palette from the B/W Charmander sprite and I made some changed (smaller eyes, larger nostrils, the fire on the tail comes up the tail more, sharper talons and nails on the toes to name just a few.)
Also, some people compare Agumon to Charmander. I did kinda make Charmander look A LOT like a Digmon, haha. xD

Approved, nice take on style!

BZW Golem

Spoiler:
Please, don't kill me, I had this crazy idea and just HAD to make it..
I don't believe I can get a good score for this, but I couldn't stop myself for sharing this xD

Username: BZW Golem
Competition: 1
Artwork:
Spoiler:

Description: This is how all the Tepigs will end!

Approved...but you are mean bahaha!

Everyone, please enter more of your sprites; time is running out

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Last edited by -ty-; September 27th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Competition # 1 Repose

Username: Nintendork 15
Sprite:
A repose of bulbasaur, made to look more like the R/B sprite, but in the good ol' B/W Style and colours.
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:03 AM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Here is my submission for Competition #1: (All are scratched)

Username: MidnightShine
Competition: #1: Repose
Artwork:
Description: After living with Gastly's for numerous years, Rotom has decided to take a change & try how Gastly's live. After transformation, this is what Rotom came up with. It's damn proud of itself & currently living in this form.

I will submit my other works tom (UTC +8, currently 7:03 p.m.)

sword art online II
phantom bullet

• vm . pm - feel free to contact me
  • server - chat and battle
  • blog - random thoughts and stuff
  • #aerilate- mega pinsir team

Last edited by halcyonic; September 27th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:13 AM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

MidnightShine
Spoiler:
Here is my submission for Competition #1: (All are scratched)

Username: MidnightShine
Competition: #1: Repose
Artwork:
Description: After living with Gastly's for numerous years, Rotom has decided to take a change & try how Gastly's live. After transformation, this is what Rotom came up with. It's damn proud of itself & currently living in this form.

Approved

Nintendork15
Spoiler:
Competition # 1 Repose

Username: Nintendork 15
Sprite:
A repose of bulbasaur, made to look more like the R/B sprite, but in the good ol' B/W Style and colours.

Approved

Thanks for the great entries you two

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 27th, 2012, 09:39 AM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

My entries

Contest #1
Spoiler:
Username: PikakittenX
Contest: #1 Repose
Artwork

Description: In the future Eevee's DNA gets unstable causing him to look like this.
All done on my phone because my laptop died when PCX started but that won't stop me from participating! All custom except colors. Sorry if it's to much in the top left my phone can't move it close to the center.

Contest #2
Spoiler:
Contest: #2 Item
Artwork

Description: The Life Hourglass, it makes the Pokemon's attacks be critical for 4 turns then it faints.

Contest #3
Spoiler:
Contest: #3 Accessory
Artwork

Description: Welcoming the amazing shiny Prince Poochyena with his stylish Neon green cape , Ruby red crown and he's bringing back blue booties!

Thanks for such great times at PokeCommunity for the past couple of years here and the spectacular festivities I don't plan to win but I don't plan to lose either so bring it on PC!

Sincerely
~PikakittenX, devout member of the Pokecommunity

Last edited by pikakitten; September 27th, 2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

PikakittenX

Contest #1
Spoiler:
Contest: #1 Repose
Artwork

Description: In the future Eevee's DNA gets unstable causing him to look like this.
All done on my phone because my laptop died when PCX started but that won't stop me from participating! All custom except colors. Sorry if it's to much in the top left my phone can't move it close to the center.

Contest #2
Spoiler:
Contest: #2 Item
Artwork

Description: The Life Hourglass, it makes the Pokemon's attacks be critical for 4 turns then it faints.

Contest #3
Spoiler:
Contest: #3 Accessory
Artwork:

Description: Welcoming the amazing shiny Prince Poochyena with his stylish Neon green cape , Ruby red crown and he's bringing back blue booties!
Thanks for such great times at PokeCommunity for the past couple of years here and the spectacular festivities I don't plan to win but I don't plan to lose either so bring it on PC!

You got em' all done; Great!
Approved

Just a reminder, there are about three days left to enter! Keep these great sprites coming

Don't be a rotten apple!
!

Old September 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Esper

Username: Scarf
Competition: #2 Item
Artwork:

Description: A coo coo clock. When the clock chimes a Pokemon knows it's time to go. After three turns in battle the Pokemon will switch out.

I'll try the other competitions if I've got ~time~

deviantart blog pair
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Scarf
Spoiler:
Username: Scarf
Competition: #2 Item
Artwork:

Description: A coo coo clock. When the clock chimes a Pokemon knows it's time to go. After three turns in battle the Pokemon will switch out.
Approved! Nice concept and execution :D

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here