• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did you find your Monkey useful?

Was your monkey useful

• Yes

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 68.6%

• Total voters

White_Arcanine

Lonely and annoying.
Years
I didn't really find it useful. 'Cause... Well.. It'd be helpful to HAVE IT right? XD I didn't get it until I was halfway through the game. I don't normally talk to people in the Pokemon games, unless I get lost or something. I, personally, didn't see the point in giving them out if it's the first gym and the Pokemon just have basic moves such as tackle and such. *Shrug* Guess that's just me, though.

Years
I actually did find Pansear useful for a while, but eventually I got a Houndoom from the Dream World, and that all but replaced it on my team (it is on my post-game team, though, but it's definitely my weakest).

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
They're pretty useful for the first badge as a good support, but I didn't think they really helped a whole lot.

I always just stored them after the first battle.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Looks like most people had Panpour as their monkey pokemon. I, as well had Panpour and used it pretty much throughout the game, I just found it easier to keep it along with my team to find and train up other pokemon, it was also useful for certain HM's so that always came in handy. Believe it or not, that pokemon won me some pretty tough battles later on. Though, honestly, it's not the best Pokemon out there.

Years
I ditched mine once I got it.. I hate pokemons with monkey desing, there's just too much of them! and they had very low stats compare to other pokes of the same type so I didn't bother train mine =/

Years
I also found Simisear/Simipour(I restarted my game) useful for the first 2 gym battles because I hadn't been able to obtain a water type pokemon yet besides a tympole that didn't know any water type moves =_=;

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
First playthrough, i used it till castielia. Then i disliked its evolution, boxed it and boxed them ever afterwards.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Yeah, I trained my Pansear all the way up to Lv.50 until I got my Charmander traded to me & it was redundant D: had I not gotten a Charmander early on, I would've kept it as my main Fire-type, though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Used panpour in 2/3 gyms then boxed him. I found a lot of cooler and stronger pokemon to put in the team.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2013
Nope, it was awful! I got a Pansear and I didn't even use it against Cilan. It's Incinerate, which is Super Effective against Grass, didn't even bring Pansage down to yellow HP. Boxed it immediately after I had my most humiliating lost against the first gym leader. My Zebstrika with Flame Charge was a better Fire-type than it.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I got Pansear... I didn't like him much, but then, I didn't find any fire types later that appealed to me, so I just kept him. So I suppose he was useful. I just didn't like him that much.

I didn't like any of the monkeys, to be honest.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I think I used a Pidove in the first gym... I boxed the monkey, I'm just not fond of simian character design.
One general comment I have on them is that Pansear is about the only non-starter Fire-type option; I can see it being the most useful of its ilk.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I just used my Lilipup, which single-handley defeated Crest. I've always thought about using a monkey but then I realize there are better Pokemon so I just box it. If you train your other Pokemon (Starter, Pidove, Lilipup, Purrlion, etc) it shouldn't be that hard to beat the first gym. Also, I felt like that made it a little too easy.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I didn't find my Pansear that useful, he helped out during the first gym because I didn't have a great choice of pokemon to use. However after that he was thrown into the box.

By the time I got to the second gym I had a Timburr and Lillipup along with my starter Oshawott (who was probably a Dewott around then) so I felt that was enough.

I'm not a huge fan of their evolved forms either. Plus it doesn't really feel right, it's so early it seems like you're getting a second starter pokemon.

MVPokeStory

Nom Nom Nom
Years
I only used it for the first gym just in case. I kept it in my party just for an hm pokemon after that until my team was full.

Pinta77

My journey in unova began when i rented white version. I used my panpour for most of the game (never evolved it because i didnt know how haha) But i eventually sent it back =\ now i just recently bought black version. I also started with snivy, only this time i got keldeo before the first gym via gamestop. So keldeo replaced the need for panpour. At least i evolved it this time.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
I found my monkey useful just to fill up the party. Just kidding xD
The monkey was quite useful for various gyms as it supports the element of my main Pokemon that I chose at the beginning, which was fire.

Back