Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Advertise here
Discuss what Pokemon that you think GameFreak got their typings wrong. What could they should and would be if you decided their typings.

I'll start by discussing the Gen 5 starters.
Oshawott line: SHOULD HAVE been Water/Fighting. Come on man. GF you could have done better. The starter line that are SAMURAIS are not fighting type?
Snivy Line: I have no prob. with this line being pure Grass, but I hate it when some starters are dual typed and some are not. Could have been part dragon, but not a whole lot to work with here.
Tepig Line: I could rant for days on end about this line. They look alright. Tepig is really cute, but GF really really screwed us on the typings here. We are all SICK of Fire/Fight. Blaziken was AWESOME, Infernape was great too, but three in a row was tragic for me. They are pigs. Why were they not Fire/Ground? Beats me.

That is my thoughts. You discuss.

"By force of will!"
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Demon.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Psyduck and Golduck/ Hoothoot and Noctowl. Water/Psychic and Flying/Psychic respectively. No idea how that didnt happen.
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon. View Post
Psyduck and Golduck/ Hoothoot and Noctowl. Water/Psychic and Flying/Psychic respectively. No idea how that didnt happen.

Totally agree. And while on the subject of the ducks they also should have had their names switched.

"By force of will!"
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Demon.

lol wow. i never noticed that. Psyduck is gold lol.

The monkeys kind of seem like they could have a secondary type. Simisage looks like a fighter.
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
Psyduck should of been named Dumbduck if you ask me lol.

Barbouch, yea I'm ground type but I can't breathe unless I'm in the water. So Barbouch being ground type lol.

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post

Barbouch, yea I'm ground type but I can't breathe unless I'm in the water. So Barbouch being ground type lol.

While I see your point you have to include a lot of others like Corsola and a few of the fossils if you want to make that argument with them being part rock and all.

"By force of will!"
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Demon.

Flygon annoys me. I like its type, but i feel like it should have been part flying. It has wings and it is floating every time i see it. Even if it didnt have levitate, it still has effing wings.
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Quote:
Flygon annoys me. I like its type, but i feel like it should have been part flying. It has wings and it is floating every time i see it. Even if it didnt have levitate, it still has effing wings.

I kinda agree kinda don't. It is nice to have a dragon immune to electric types, but makes it neutral to water types as well.

"By force of will!"
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post

Barboach and Whiscash are Water/Ground because the loach (the fish Barboach is based on) has a tendency to bury itself in the mud, while Namazu (the catfish-like mythological creature Whiscash is based on) caused earthquakes. Regarding why Corsola is a Water/Rock Pokemon: real coral has rock-like elements to it.

Anyway, I think that Vibrava and Flygon should've been Bug/Dragon because they're the only Dragon Pokemon who belong to the Bug egg group.

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Are there Oceans in Space?
abc.

Nature: Quirky
I'm sure there's an explanation for it, but I still don't understand why Lucario is Steel. Oh and Gyarados being Flying is kinda stupid.
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Anyway, I think that Vibrava and Flygon should've been Bug/Dragon because they're the only Dragon Pokemon who belong to the Bug egg group.

Wow! Never thought of that. Really good idea. They all really look like bugs.

"By force of will!"
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Mr Popo
Unhatched Egg

Yep, the two that annoy me the most Gyarados and Golduck have already been said.
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
I've kind of been debating on Beedrill. Being a bee, well it is an insect and then belongs to the bug type which it already is. But poison as a secondary type? I know that when some people get stung by bees they receive huge golf ball size lumps but I honestly thought it should be Bug/Flying like Butterfree.

Hmm and I'd have to say Carracosta. I see why it's water type being a turtle but don't understand how its rock. I'm guessing it lives on a rock or something ? I think it should just be pure water but that's me.
I'm not using this account anymore! I'm now
known as Narnia. Any VMs or PMs on this account
will likely go unanswered
. :p
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Demon.

^Arcanine should be a pure water type!
If you play the pokemon trading card game, or if you're just a collector, check out tradecardsonline.com, and be sure to put my name, demonshade, in the referral box if you decide to make an account.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACDCRocks780
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Arcanine View Post
I've kind of been debating on Beedrill. Being a bee, well it is an insect and then belongs to the bug type which it already is. But poison as a secondary type? I know that when some people get stung by bees they receive huge golf ball size lumps but I honestly thought it should be Bug/Flying like Butterfree.

Hmm and I'd have to say Carracosta. I see why it's water type being a turtle but don't understand how its rock. I'm guessing it lives on a rock or something :P? I think it should just be pure water but that's me.
It's because it was made from a fossil. That creates interesting typings, like Aerodactyl's Rock/Flying typing.
Theme
Pair
VM
PM
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I would have made Mawile a Dark-type, since it only learns ONE Steel attack and most of its moveset consists of Dark moves.

Also, I'd give Flare Blitz to Flareon cos he needs a better physical Fire attack.
Old September 28th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
I would have made Mawile a Dark-type, since it only learns ONE Steel attack and most of its moveset consists of Dark moves.

Also, I'd give Flare Blitz to Flareon cos he needs a better physical Fire attack.
I totally agree with you. Mawile should be Dark Type.
Gyarados should be Water/Dragon. I think that they didn't make Gyarados Water/Dragon because the only Dragon move in Gen 1 was Dragon Rage which deals a set amount of damage meaning Gyarados would have no weakness and players would overuse Gyarados.
Also Snivy Family should be part dragon.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old September 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Demon.

I had this thought today in geometry whilst battling a solrock. I think that solrock and lunatone should have some kind of fusion evolution.
If you play the pokemon trading card game, or if you're just a collector, check out tradecardsonline.com, and be sure to put my name, demonshade, in the referral box if you decide to make an account.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACDCRocks780
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM
ScubaDouch3
Ice-Type Lover

Quote:
I had this thought today in geometry whilst battling a solrock. I think that solrock and lunatone should have some kind of fusion evolution.
Holy crap, an Eclipse Pokemon? That would be friggin awesome!

But back to the topic, I've always thought Pinsir should have been Bug/Fighting, just look at his movepool! He would have benefit greatly from that little boost in power from STAB, just like Heracross, who I've always thought was awesome by the way

Yellow: 8/8l Crystal: 4/16

Ultimate Fairy-Mono Challenge
Kalos: 6/8

Ultimate Mono-Challenges finished:

On Hold:
Dark - on Gen IV lll Flying - on Gen IV lll Ground - on Gen IV
Psychic - on Gen IV lll Steel - on Gen IV
Old October 19th, 2012, 01:03 AM
何贤豪

For me, I once thought Black Kyurem would be something like Electric/Ice and White Kyurem being Fire/Ice. (My memory serves of me thinking about so.) But that's false. Seemingly, it retained its usual lackluster (at least when it's in its original form...competitively) Dragon/Ice. Strange enough, because White/Black Kyurem is a fusion of Kyurem and Reshiram/Zekrom. Shouldn't White/Black Kyurem obtain at least one of Reshiram/Zekrom's types? It IS a fusion of it...
·Friend Code·My Claims·
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Cassino
no

Doduo/Dodrio should be pure Normal or at least unable to learn Fly.
DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thursday
Feeling better?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryan143 View Post
Gyarados should be Water/Dragon. I think that they didn't make Gyarados Water/Dragon because the only Dragon move in Gen 1 was Dragon Rage which deals a set amount of damage meaning Gyarados would have no weakness and players would overuse Gyarados.
Also Snivy Family should be part dragon.
I do agree with the Gyarados part because it was based off of a legend that has to do with carps that jump over Dragon Gate to become a dragon...

As for the Snivy part, I would disagree. It was based off a snake/lizard, and it pretty much retains the look most of the time. I would have agreed if it would have gained more dragon-like qualities (wings and claws).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino
Doduo/Dodrio should be pure Normal or at least unable to learn Fly.
So true. I thought it was a glitch when I first read about it but apparantely it is still happening... I get why it is part Flying (it is based of a bird) but no fly please.

Username:
Thursday

Friend Safari:
Dark

Friend Code:
1006-0591-1577

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Vicktor Black
Blaziken

I think the gothita line should have been dark types considering how they look!

Always keep an open mind!
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
Kind of a stretch, but I think Electivire and Magmortar could've passed as partly fighting type.

Also Crawdaunt being dark makes no sense to me.
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

The reason Gyarados isn't a Dragon type, for what I've heard, was because Gamefreak originally thought it'd be too much of an overpowered Pokemon if it got a Dragon type added onto it, so they replaced it with a Flying type for whatever reason.

As for the Pokemon I think should've had another typing, definitely Lugia. In the movies it had the title "Guardian of the Sea", it was found in the games inside of an underwater cave, over a waterfall, ontop of water, so why in the world wasn't it a Water type. I understand it'd probably be hard to choose between typings, but Psychic is definitely the less noticeable, so why not Water instead of that, when it's basically being seen like it's a Water type. This is why triple typings would be awesome.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here