The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Setsuna Light
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
My starters are always in my team. I can't ditch them D:
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:37 PM
BiGoDeViN28
Psalm 141:3

Nature: Adamant
No, I have never ditched my starter. I always put my Starter in my team. I don't think I could ditch him. I feel like it's almost apart of the story to have him. I get too attached to them to ditch them.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

White - Devin - 5458-6886-1446
Heart Gold - Gold - 3998-4088-8997
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Nature: Quiet
Unless I'm playing through a new game for the very first time, I tend to ditch my starter by about the 3rd or 4th gym. Getting a starter is always a certainty in the Pokemon games, so that's why I usually switch it up by boxing it, and building my team from scratch as I go along.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:55 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Not the first time I get to use them, but after that, sure. I might trade over all and merely evolve them to fill the pokedex, but its waaaay to restrictive to always have one of those types in your team.
I mean there is 15 other types!
I find it boring to see people use their starter and then add pokemon of the other starter types...like its not even that diverse, especially having both a Grass and Water pokemon... why not a Bug, Ghost, Fighting, Ground, Dark, Normal, Rock, Psy..you get the idea.
Probably because the most quality 3 stage designs are starters and a few others.
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerpow7 View Post
To be honest, in every Pokemon game, I never ditch my starters at all. I mean, I use the all the time and usually, it's my highest level Pokemon... So, I never ditch my starters...
^That! Exactly!

Never ditches my starter and it's usually my highest leveled one...with the other being one under it. It just doesn't feel right replacing it...plus they're not exactly weak once reaching their final stages.
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
pokeskate
Lerroux says "bye-bye!

Nature: Serious
I actually just released my lv 70 blastoise cuz I needed space in my white boxs. I actually released all 150 poke from the unova region too....
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Ryliam
Unhatched Egg

I usually don't ditch my starter until after i beat the game cause that's when i switch to competitive battling.

Serebii:

Pokemon Plus:

Click Here To Join Pokemon Plus
Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
Apricots
Cream Puff

Nature: Gentle
I get too attached to my starter (or any of my team for that matter) to ever think about ditching them.
They were with me from the start, so I would feel absolutely terrible.

tumblr | deviantart | pixiv | twitter
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
JessieFan92
Unhatched Egg

I never did that. Your starter is the stongest pokemon that you have.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:05 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Gen I, whenever I didn't start with Charizard, I always dropped my starter for another critter. Gen II, I think I kept Typhlosion all the way up to the end, but dropped Feraligatr as soon as I could. Gen III... I honestly can't remember, but Blaziken always looked weird and had a not-great moveset, so I probably ditched it when I could. Gen IV has the best starters out of any game, and I've kept Infernape so far through all of my Platinum playthrough. Mainly 'cause there are a dearth of Fire critters, but it's still the best Fire/Fighting type there is. Gen V: OMG THEY'RE ALL SO BAD! I got rid of Samurott as soon as I could it was that awful. Not Feraligatr awful, but reeeeeeeeally bad.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:41 AM
giradialkia

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
I've never.. not used my starter. :P I't always been central to any team I've had, unless I was doing a monotype challenge that didn't include my starter's type. Admittedly, it would be easy to play through White without my starter, since I don't really like them all that much. Tepig is.. fine, but in general they're all quite poor (especially Serperior, oh lord how I dislike Serperior).

For White 2, I won't be using my starter, though. There are already Pokémon I want who would make it so I had two of the same type in my team, which is a no-no for me. It should be interesting!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Lorenzo The Comic
Pokégen User

Nature: Docile
When I played White 2, I went on GTS Negotiations and gave up my Dewott for a Riolu, even after the grinding I did. But eventually I was able to get all three Unova starters.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
TheFallenUmbreon
Dreams shall never fall...

Nature: Lonely
I ditched my Sceptile in Emerald once and replaced it with Regirock...
In Pearl, I ditched my Blaziken and replaced it with a Flareon that I received by trading

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
Scyther

Nature: Jolly
I usually do now - I don't with Treecko and I didn't with Snivy on Black but I probably will when I get White 2.
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:32 AM
何贤豪

I have yet to put my starters down to a box and forget it in favor of a stronger Pokemon. I always use my starters to the fullest because they're always great.
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Olli

Except for my time on the Pokemon MMORPG, I've never ditched my starter in any time during the story, and it has always stayed on my party. Even if there are Pokemon that would be much better for my team, it's just that special connection you get to a starter from using it all the way through, though of course that wouldn't be there if it was boxed as soon as you could catch a new Pokemon. Either way, starters always have a reserved spot in my party, and I can't recall anytime except the one I already mentioned where I'd ditch my starter.
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

I usually do it for HG/SS. When I beat the league. I usually send in a nearly level 100 Pokemon to finish the game. The starter still remains in my party, but I don't use it as much until I beat Red.

Challenges:
Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
White_Arcanine
Lonely and annoying.

Nature: Lonely
I never ditched my starters. My party is usually two Pokemon (Come at me bro) that I train throughout the game. Except for in White, where I couldn't find a second Pokemon to match my Snivy, so I wound up having a full team. XD
Old September 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!

Nature: Quirky
It depends what I feel like at the time tbh. Usually I do end up using them the whole way through, but that's because they're generally pretty cool & useful Pokémon. But after having used them a few times I tend to start abandoning them and catch other things instead since it gets tedious constantly training the same things. :p
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries

Nature: Naive
Surprisingly, no, I haven't ever ditched my starter. I think that's because it's like a loyal companion to me; it's the first Pokemon I get, so naturally I'll have the closest bond with it. My starter and I are sort of like an unbeatable duo.
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
F U C K PC! WAY TOO STRICT!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
I never ditched my starter either. I'm one of those crazy people that will EV train the stats before I go on. I catch a couple Pokemon in the beginning but don't EV train them unless I want them.
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Wheaties

Send a message via AIM to Wheaties
I almost always keep my starter pokémon. Maybe I'm just one of those players that gets sentimentally connected with my pokémon after I've spent a lot of time training them.. But when I played pearl, I didn't really care for any of the starters, and actually traded in one of the original starter pokémon from one of my other games
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:16 PM
SamuJake
I beat Red when I was 8' bro.

Nature: Modest
From the day I get my starter till the day I finish the league, I would always have my starter in my team. Always. After that it would have to depend what I want to do with the rest of the game, GENERALLY, my starter will still stay with me. But sometimes I either trade him/her to a friend so they can make the most of that Pokemon for their team. Or I would put my pokemon in daycare and catch a new Pokemon for my team and start a little adventure to level it up.
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Echidna
Something Interesting

Nature: Brave
I accidentally ditched one once. I released it and didn't notice it till after I saved and tried to find it. I immediately restarted my game.

So, obviously, no I haven't, on purpose at least. It feels wrong and such, and I always try to train my starter as much I can because it's usually the power-house of my team until I get some super strong companion late in the game xD

Old September 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Welcome to York County, SC!

Only in Yellow because the starter in that game proved too weak to be usable for me. Other than that I keep my starter throughout the entire game.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari: