The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 10th, 2012 (03:20 PM).
KingofPokemon234

Looking forward to this hack!

Trainer Name: Jake (Preferably an Ace/Gym Trainer)
Before Battle: (GYM LEADER) is my role model, think you can beat me?
Defeat: You're good!
After Battle: I've never had such a good battle before.
Old September 11th, 2012 (05:01 AM).
Alignment
Revered with the stars

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRisingGirl View Post
It's great to see someone come back after so long and finish a hack. Goodluck on this!
Thanks, I just took a long break for no apparent reason :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRoller View Post
I probably wasn't around when you showcased this before, but it looks brill! Big fan of a lot of the features of this... tiles and the like ;)

Also:

Is that an Everybody hates Chris reference? The guy called Jerome always used to say lemme hold a dollar! :D
No, unless that' an alt account you weren't around. As for the screenshot, I'm not sure, long ago...in a time where I once hacked all day everyday... someone posted that trainer script idea in this thread and I just used it blindly :)
Thanks for the compliments, I'll try to keep up everyone's expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
@Ali: Well sry about that =D But it is true anyways =D
You wanna make me cry too, don't you :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofPokemon234 View Post
Looking forward to this hack!

Trainer Name: Jake (Preferably an Ace/Gym Trainer)
Before Battle: (GYM LEADER) is my role model, think you can beat me?
Defeat: You're good!
After Battle: I've never had such a good battle before.
I can't believe someone filled that out, been a long while since I requested that :P
Well at any rate I'll find some room to fit yours in somewhere, thanks for filling it out.

Sprite Updates:

Absolutely nothing. Oh wait, look at progress updates! I made an overworld for the gym leader :D

Progress Updates:

I'm hiding. Find me. I will try to make new gym tiles for this place.

After the market event.

Took the shot a little late, but I'll let you decide what he said before. Struggle...struggle trying to figure out what he said!

Oak woods! Named after the famous Professor Oak.

That's all this update folks. I assume everyone can see the screenshots now, no one complained about it :)

I have enough content to release something. It's about 4 hours of playtime right now if you know where to go who to talk to and stuff. The problem is that now I have to get someone to test it and all that stuff. In the past I got my brother to do that, but he's all 'grown up' now and would rather play MMO than my Pokemon hack :(

Volunteers? Please VM me or post here. You must be able to take screenshots and show me what's wrong. There shouldn't be anything major, I did play through it a couple times.
Old September 11th, 2012 (05:14 AM).
Dimebag

Nature: Gentle
Cool ! new update ! I would like to be a beta tester () but school started today and i won't have a lot of time but i can find time in weekends
Also it would be better if you had more than one tester( 3-4 would be good i think ) so as to have more runs by more users and find out more bugs than one tester would... but the choice is for you to make.
Old September 11th, 2012 (07:05 AM).
blazerj13
Impossibly Possible~

Nature: Adamant
wow, an old hack revived! i read the intro, and this hack really deserves to be finished. good luck~
Old September 13th, 2012 (09:16 AM). Edited September 16th, 2012 by Alignment.
Alignment
Revered with the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam3r! View Post
Cool ! new update ! I would like to be a beta tester () but school started today and i won't have a lot of time but i can find time in weekends
Also it would be better if you had more than one tester( 3-4 would be good i think ) so as to have more runs by more users and find out more bugs than one tester would... but the choice is for you to make.
I would appreciate it if you were able to test, just shoot me a PM with how I can get the ROM to you. I will credit you once you beta test

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj13 View Post
wow, an old hack revived! i read the intro, and this hack really deserves to be finished. good luck~
Thanks for the compliments.

Progress Updates:

I started to map out oak woods. Currently it's just a map I will be adding scripts shortly. There are trainers already, but by scripts I mean events and important stuff, you know.

Oak woods scenery.

Oak woods scenery.

Oak woods scenery.

That's all this update. I will do another major update on Friday (once I complete Oak woods). I will get more screenshots once that happens. On the side note, 4 tile trees take up so many blocks when mapping it's ridiculous.

For the last part of my post I would appreciate it if more people would volunteer to beta test. I only got one and Fuji. But I think it's just Fuji being Fuji so it's really only one tester so far. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have it out for them and possibly by Wednesday it will be made public.

Finally (even though I said last part of my post before, but this time it's really finally), I'd appreciated it if I got some criticism. Ever since I got back to hacking this thing, all I've got is mindless praise (though I love mindless praise), it's not really addressing features and issues that I need to be addressed. Right now I've redone the adopt a Pokemon script because it got pretty much unusable from my experimenting. Now I have the option to choose which 3 Pokemon you can adopt. Before there was a little bit of game imbalance because if you adopted Staryu you would just roll the gym and leader so hard (where as if you chose Machop or Grimer it would be a steeper hill). Basically what I'm saying is, give me suggestions of who to allow for adoption. Right now I thought of Sandshrew, Paras and Doduo.
Old September 13th, 2012 (12:00 PM). Edited September 13th, 2012 by Cabe.
Cabe

Nature: Jolly
Alignment: This is amazing! The story is spectacular and i love the whole Emon concept (most of all, because they're fakemon and not just overpowered pokemon). Also, the Oak Woods almost made my cry (lol), it's a perfect match between nostalgia and innovation. It's also great that you decided to redo the maps, it gives a reallistic touch that changes the whole game experience a lot.

On the adopting & meeting people on the same mission: fascinated about both.

On the day/night thing... i believe it could be really interesting if you use this in a different way like making night last longer (under the excuse of Tyes casting its shadow over the land or something) and give it some sort of effect (for instance: status problems may heal while walking during the night because of some spore that a tyes/tyesnian/don'tknowhowtosayit plants throw when it's dark). I don't know a thing about scripting, so maybe i'm asking too much I got really into the story and i just want to share my ideas.

On the "father" thing... i agree that if you get to meet him, it should be something significant. Maybe everyone thought he was dead but instead he had been gone to a desolate and incomunicated part of Kanto to learn about/battle against some particular Emon (plural). Maybe every person that knew where he was was dead and therefore everyone just asumed he was too. Maybe the fact that certain people were killed made him unable to come back. Maybe you get to rescue him near the end and he holds the key to "put an end to the crisis". Maybe maybe maybe...

I haven't read every post, so i can't say much more. For example, i'd like to try the beta before making any adopting suggestions. Still, if you need a beta tester, count on me. Maybe after beta testing i'll be able to say much more, since i'd really like to give some ideas if needed.

Cabe

Oh! here's my trainer:
Trainer Name: (Cameraman) Anton
Before Battle: Let's shoot an epic battle!
Defeat: Well... we did.
After Battle: I shoot everything. It is necesary with everything that is happening.

(english is not my first language, correct if necesary and forgive my mistakes).
Old September 13th, 2012 (12:37 PM).
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
The trees in Oak woods are really nice , though it doesnt really match the grass.

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old September 14th, 2012 (09:13 AM).
Alignment
Revered with the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe View Post
Alignment: This is amazing! The story is spectacular and i love the whole Emon concept (most of all, because they're fakemon and not just overpowered pokemon). Also, the Oak Woods almost made my cry (lol), it's a perfect match between nostalgia and innovation. It's also great that you decided to redo the maps, it gives a reallistic touch that changes the whole game experience a lot.

On the adopting & meeting people on the same mission: fascinated about both.

On the day/night thing... i believe it could be really interesting if you use this in a different way like making night last longer (under the excuse of Tyes casting its shadow over the land or something) and give it some sort of effect (for instance: status problems may heal while walking during the night because of some spore that a tyes/tyesnian/don'tknowhowtosayit plants throw when it's dark). I don't know a thing about scripting, so maybe i'm asking too much I got really into the story and i just want to share my ideas.

On the "father" thing... i agree that if you get to meet him, it should be something significant. Maybe everyone thought he was dead but instead he had been gone to a desolate and incomunicated part of Kanto to learn about/battle against some particular Emon (plural). Maybe every person that knew where he was was dead and therefore everyone just asumed he was too. Maybe the fact that certain people were killed made him unable to come back. Maybe you get to rescue him near the end and he holds the key to "put an end to the crisis". Maybe maybe maybe... :)

I haven't read every post, so i can't say much more. For example, i'd like to try the beta before making any adopting suggestions. Still, if you need a beta tester, count on me. Maybe after beta testing i'll be able to say much more, since i'd really like to give some ideas if needed.

Cabe

Oh! here's my trainer:
Trainer Name: (Cameraman) Anton
Before Battle: Let's shoot an epic battle!
Defeat: Well... we did.
After Battle: I shoot everything. It is necesary with everything that is happening.

(english is not my first language, correct if necesary and forgive my mistakes).
Cabe, I love your post. Not because it's a combination of mindless praise and critic, but because of how detailed it is. I'm glad you like the story, and hopefully as you see more it'll get better and better.

The day and night idea you had, making the night last longer, Pokemon having handicaps as the game progress, and even the mutant plants thing sound like pretty good ideas. However, there is a problem. With my current skill level, I'm unable to implement such a feature which interacts with the already esiting ASM routine. This is because I don't have a complete understanding of the ASM routine that was created for the day/night feature. I'll try look into some more ASM things in the very near future.

As for the father meeting event/idea thing, it's not as easy as it sounds. In fact it would be a very delicate thing in the game, because if executed incorrectly it could ruin the game completely. I've already revealed that I was planning such an event in the features section which is partly why this will be hard. Creating such an event while avoiding the cliche and predictions by the player base requires a very unique and well planned out idea. I do indeed already have a plan set, however it's yet to be implemented. Once I'm sure that there will be synergism with the story and gameplay I will look into adding it.

Your trainer script is actually pretty good. It's something that I would expect to see in one of GameFreak's games. I'll be sure to throw in some room for it too.

Once again, thank you very much for the detailed post. It very well articulated your opinions and ideas about the hack and for that I'm thankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
The trees in Oak woods are really nice :), though it doesnt really match the grass.
What grass are you talking about? The long grass? The ground? Is it the palette or the tile? Both?
These are questions that come to my mind when I read your post. I assume you mean the palette. I'd agree the big tree palettes are not very in sync with everything else. I will look into that.

Progress Updates:

In this update I cover the finished version of Oak woods, 2 routes and New Zelph. These 3 areas are completed and will be included in the beta.

Oak woods

Route 8

New Zelph

Route 9

Sprite Updates (kinda):

I recently tried spriting the trainer for Loyd. Then it hit me! Why don't I just use the one I made for bonds! (For those wondering bonds is my old hack which I started after Celestium, never finished because I corrupted the ROM like a complete noob.)

That's him, overworlds and trainer sprite.

My plan:
  1. Insert all sprites from updates into ROM hack
  2. Make up names for them (maybe you can help :D)
  3. Replay hack to ensure no serious bugs
  4. Get hack to beta testers. (Currently that's Cabe. Two others have asked, but have yet to contact me.)
  5. Fix bugs from tests
  6. Release public beta! Yay!

OH ALMOST FORGOT, THE BEST MOMENT EVER

I was happy. I love Charizard ;D
Old September 14th, 2012 (12:16 PM).
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

no, i meant the palette of the grass in oak woods doesnt match the trees. but the main trees fit very well with the grass

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old September 28th, 2012 (03:11 PM).
Alignment
Revered with the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
no, i meant the palette of the grass in oak woods doesnt match the trees. but the main trees fit very well with the grass
I'll work on that, actually I'm currently inserting some new stuff to deal with that very problem!

Progress Updates:

I made a lot of progress the past couple weeks, even though I was a little tight on time. The testers who did test ended up getting back to me on Wednesday last week, and it took me some time to go on and fix the bugs. There are however some changes made to the game and some oddities that remain (I'll fix them for next time).

The first little picture is the ladder, you can walk along the top of the ladder and it looks weird.

The second is the old man's script doesn't work. It's a simple talking script, I have no idea why it' not working...for now just be aware of it (I didn't remove him because he's still cool).

The third is that even if you smash the rock you can't get past the ledge (you gotta go around) that was intentional but some testers thought it was weird so there it is.

The fourth screen shot is that the pallete of the cut tree doesn't fit in, that's because the weather is rainy.

Fifth screen is that the mountains are a little blocky/not natural - I'm spriting new ones for the edges, currently on my to do list.

Sixth screen is that most of the newly inserted doors don't have animations, also on my to do list.

Lastly, the Scyther is purple...yeah working on that too.

I know some of these bugs are not really bugs, but detail matters a great deal so they are getting worked on anyways.
Bigger changes include the adoption system. Now you will be able to adopt one of the following: Goldeen, Abra and Doduo. All three of them are also obtainable starting at level 16 (up from 10). In respect to the upgrade, I've also made a couple of harder curves in the game where you won't be able to heal/buy items for a long time. The last change is that I boosted Delibird's base special attack (because he is quite useless and stupid, admit it).

Another thing is that I purposely added certain mini-events that require you to talk to someone. For example, there is someone who gives out TM Rest, but will not unless you've talked to a little boy. There's more but that's for you to figure out :D

Finally the last change is to the waterfall in Lava Mountain. Previously it used to just push the player back. Now it will push the player back when he/she is near it and will display a message and surprise reaction.

Sprite Updates:

I tried making a Fakemon but it started to look cliche, so I'm not going to use it anymore. Feel free to use it for your own reasons.

Credits:

Thank you to Pinkish Purple, Pokemonmasters and Cabe for beta testing.
Special thanks to Cabe for taking the effort to make PDFs of bugs and ideas for Celestium. For the testers that didn't have time/couldn't do it - Don't worry about it, if you do decide to play please re-download the one in the thread or you'll have a buggy time.

Beta linked at end of post. Approximate duration is 3.5 hours. Feel free to make a walkthrough anyone (thought it's not really hard to figure out what you need to do). BE SURE TO SAVE INSIDE A HOUSE AND REPORT ANY BUGS!

For next beta:

- Working Titlescreen
- Door animations
- New tiles for the mountain edges
- Fix Ladders
- Berry System (already done, but not in current beta)
- New sprites for re-used ones (Player, Nasher and Loyd)
- More Content! (obviously lol)

Beta one: http://www.mediafire.com/?ks1b9rxmdzhc1av
This is a .aps file. You will need HackMew's A-patch to patch it!
Old September 28th, 2012 (11:04 PM).
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
The fakemon looks good! Why do you use APS?
Old September 29th, 2012 (12:07 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

That Fakemon looks like Fire/Dragon fusion of Charizard and Dragonite =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 30th, 2012 (08:50 AM).
Alignment
Revered with the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkish Purple View Post
The fakemon looks good! Why do you use APS?
APS is the new way to go!
No, it's because I extended the ROM when I applied Jpan's engine. LIPS can't handle extended ROMs I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
That Fakemon looks like Fire/Dragon fusion of Charizard and Dragonite =D
Come on, it doesn't look like Charizard. You're just saying that because it's orange and has wings. It's actually hard to make it not look like dragonite, dragonite's just like the basic/general look of a dragon :/

I'm thinking of making one on all four legs to prevent that (mention Salamence..I dare you...).

Did anyone actually download and play it? Says 33 downloads on mediafire (one of them is me). Everyone else enjoying it? Things you like/don't like? Please feel free to tell me, feed back would be nice.
Old September 30th, 2012 (08:55 AM).
godlesplay

can you tell how far is beta 1 ?
Old September 30th, 2012 (09:18 AM).
Cabe

Nature: Jolly
This took me by surprise but i have already downloaded it and played it Luckily, this time I could go past route 8 and got to the end.

The hack is amazing and it's nice to see all the things you polished since last time. Obviously, I got my goldeen and enjoyed kicking asses lol. And that fall's script was just delicious!
Old September 30th, 2012 (10:30 AM). Edited September 30th, 2012 by miksy91.
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
I played it for 5-10 minutes and can say that this hack seems interesting...
I didn't expect any less from you though so it wasn't surprising to see how it started out. Anyway, I'll continue and see if there is something more worthy of posting. This far, looking good!

Oh and by the way, there were a couple of bugs in the beginning of the hack. Some sentences were missing dots and when the backyard of the lab is entered, Morris says something to you but you won't be able to read the text because you're "warped" out of the room right away.

Edit:
Looks like you didn't test it throughly before releasing beta 1 did you? Anyway there are also some other minor oddities which could be easily fixed but other than that, you've done good job on it.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old September 30th, 2012 (11:39 AM).
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

I will download today! Quick question: how far does it go?

"By force of will!"
Old September 30th, 2012 (11:57 AM).
Alignment
Revered with the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by godlesplay View Post
can you tell how far is beta 1 ?
Umm, I can't tell you based on gyms because you don't really do all of the ones your encounter. I'd say 3.5 hours with speed button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe View Post
This took me by surprise but i have already downloaded it and played it Luckily, this time I could go past route 8 and got to the end.

The hack is amazing and it's nice to see all the things you polished since last time. Obviously, I got my goldeen and enjoyed kicking asses lol. And that fall's script was just delicious!
All thanks to your testing <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
I played it for 5-10 minutes and can say that this hack seems interesting...
I didn't expect any less from you though so it wasn't surprising to see how it started out. Anyway, I'll continue and see if there is something more worthy of posting. This far, looking good!

Oh and by the way, there were a couple of bugs in the beginning of the hack. Some sentences were missing dots and when the backyard of the lab is entered, Morris says something to you but you won't be able to read the text because you're "warped" out of the room right away.

Edit:
Looks like you didn't test it throughly before releasing beta 1 did you? Anyway there are also some other minor oddities which could be easily fixed but other than that, you've done good job on it.
The only oddities I was aware of were mentioned
Spoiler:

When you enter the backyard area he says:
Elder: So are you\nimpressed?\pThis place was built to simulate\neverything that would be present\lin the natural world,\lapart from trainers and\lwild Pok\emon of course.\pShall we press on?

Before leaving he says:
Elder: Our business\nhere is done,\llets go back to the lab.

None of which are cut off in-game

Anyways, thanks for the compliments. Maybe a screenshot will show what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicentfan1 View Post
I will download today! Quick question: how far does it go?
3.5 hours of gameplay with speed button is what I'd say it is.
If you find any bugs or oddities please let me know!
Old September 30th, 2012 (08:31 PM).
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
If you're aware of all the scripts working correctly, it might be a problem with the rom I used although it's supposed to be the "mostly-used" one (which you likely did the patch for). Anyway, one thing I "didn't like" was the fact that every single traveler is supposed to travel through the region/world starting from the town you started (by the looks of signs).

For example, there was that cavern in the beginning of which entrance-signposts said: "...Cavern Entrance" and "...Cavern Exit" or something like that. It would make more sense if they said "...Cavern - Route 1 Exit" and "...Cavern - Route 2 Exit" instead and same goes for every other area entrance signpost so far. But yeah, it's nothing major but just something game makers wouldn't do if this was an official game which it really feels like when you play it. So far, I've enjoyed it!

Spoiler:
One more thing, there was nothing buggy about it but it just felt weird you could see the cutscene of the rival threatening the child from "miles away" the first time. And what might prove my patched rom really doesn't work right, is the fact that most trainers have wrong trainer class names. For example that "Bird Keeper" (which I believe you would have wanted to call him) was a "Ruin Maniac" instead.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old September 30th, 2012 (09:38 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alignment View Post
Come on, it doesn't look like Charizard. You're just saying that because it's orange and has wings. It's actually hard to make it not look like dragonite, dragonite's just like the basic/general look of a dragon :/
I did not say it looks like Charizard, I said it looks like Charizard fused with Dragonite =D So it's left with Charizard's wings and tail and the body of Dragonite :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 11th, 2012 (02:59 AM).
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影
Community Supporter

Hey Alignment! How's the hack coming? I haven't heard about it for a long time... any updates?
Old October 11th, 2012 (11:59 AM).
blazerj13
Impossibly Possible~

Nature: Adamant
hey Alignment, check this out, i made a fakemon that you can use if you so please. its got a name alredy, its called cloudreak.
Attached Images
File Type: png Cloudraek.png‎ (1,023 Bytes, 118 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old October 16th, 2012 (07:01 AM).
digimonqueen
Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend

Nature: Gentle
Where do i get the Pokedex??? i can't find it ANYWHERE!

Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.”

"Harry--you're a great wizard, you know."
"I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let him go.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things--friendship and bravery and--oh Harry--be careful!"
Old October 16th, 2012 (10:04 AM).
DaleH771
I know who you are.

Your mapping looks ace, really like it, some screens look brilliant.

I swear your description says this is based in Kanto though? Doesn't appear to be! (I only skimmed the reading.)

Demo coming soon!
Old November 22nd, 2012 (04:36 AM).
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影
Community Supporter

DrFuji, please make an exception for me to revive this thead It's so awesome....

Sponsored Links