The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM
MaryJohn
Unhatched Egg

Hi everyone,
I think Opera is not up to the standard when we consider to other browsers, its bit slow and not user friendly as well. Sometimes it comes up with minor error messages. So according to your opinion which is the worst browser?
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
Internet Explorer. It's so slow, when you click on a link it makes a new browser instead of tab and doesn't respond sometimes.

Old September 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I don't consider it browser as its only use is downloading Chrome/FF/Opera/whatever after you get new PC/laptop but the worst is of course Internet Explorer.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:53 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Internnet Explorer, mainly because it's so slow. I can't handle a slow browser, so Firefox and really any other browser for that matter, trumps IE.
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

IE is the obvious answer but I'll go for my least favorite of the browsers I use.

I'm not a huge fan of Firefox. My chrome has always been faster, even with more tabs and more windows, and seemed sleeker. The only reason I keep Firefox as a browser I use is because I'm using all the bookmark spots on my toolbar on Chrome for websites, so I put my RSS feeds on Firefox.
PM
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
IE9 and 10 are actually good browsers, but anything under 9 was terrible. As for me my vote goes towards Opera, it has always been slow for me and takes ages to load a web page.
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hikamaru
a.k.a. nichole
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Internet Explorer, cos it's so slow and you can't even copy picture URLs!
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Tsutarja
Burning hot!

Internet Explorer by far. Their rendering engine is not up to par like Mozilla and Chrome.

Gym Leader Flannery wants to battle!
Slugma (Lv. 26) - Magma Armor - (Flame Thrower, Sunny Day)
Torkoal (Lv. 28) - White Smoke - (Overheat, Attract)
November 21st / Staff Collab 2014
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:49 AM
Rambagos
Mime Jr.

Nature: Modest
All I know, I think Internet explorer is the worst. Not only slow, but this browser theme or appearence aren't pretty good on my eyes.
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:26 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
IE9 and 10 are actually good browsers, but anything under 9 was terrible. As for me my vote goes towards Opera, it has always been slow for me and takes ages to load a web page.
This. It's clunky and slow. They insist on trying out gimmicky features rather than focusing on usability.

The other one I don't like is Mozilla FatFox. Like Opera, its interface has adapted rather poorly to current standards. People complain about IE9 because it looks different, but for all intents and purposes, it's better and uses the space more efficiently.

Krome4Lyf!!1!!1!
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:39 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

If you going to say IE, please provide a legitimate reason. Saying it's slow and clunky, and doesn't have a good rendering engine is complete ********. Learn to use IE9/10, and then come back and provide an answer... and that answer would be that it's great.
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:01 AM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

IE really isnt THAT bad guys. I mean it does suck, but if I were stuck with it I could get stuff done. As for the worst? I dont really know, I have firefox and love it and never tried Chrome.

Team Alpha
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I'm gonna be different and say that Safari for Windows is horrible because it's coded terribly and the windows have constant graphical errors, and that Chrome is very laggy in the video rendering realm, making it a distant second (and it seems to have had a fair few issues regarding Flash Player in the past couple of months). Opera's mouse gestures aren't even explained... they're just enabled by default, and that can be a pain at times, so that's third, simply because of user-friendliness. IE9 is easy to use, but because it's IE, it's horribly targeted by malware and the like, making it not terribly secure. Firefox isn't really any better than the rest, though. It's horribly sluggish because of its memory leaks and the like.

For perspective, I have to use a pool of browsers to get the things I do done because of each browser's disadvantages making it difficult to do certain things on each one.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
I'm gonna be different and say that Safari for Windows is horrible because it's coded terribly and the windows have constant graphical errors, and that Chrome is very laggy in the video rendering realm, making it a distant second (and it seems to have had a fair few issues regarding Flash Player in the past couple of months). Opera's mouse gestures aren't even explained... they're just enabled by default, and that can be a pain at times, so that's third, simply because of user-friendliness. IE9 is easy to use, but because it's IE, it's horribly targeted by malware and the like, making it not terribly secure. Firefox isn't really any better than the rest, though. It's horribly sluggish because of its memory leaks and the like.

For perspective, I have to use a pool of browsers to get the things I do done because of each browser's disadvantages making it difficult to do certain things on each one.
Actually IE9 blocks 96.6% of malware, while firefox and chrome block under 5% of malware.

http://www.neowin.net/news/study-ie9...r-web-browsers
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Isn't it a given it should be IE? Safari for windows sucks, I agree, but on a mac it is amazinnngg :3
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM
Axeliira
the wants what it wants

Nature: Brave
IE was an okay browser...until today. I despise it and I hate the fact that I have to use it to access the internet at the college computers. They think "it's very stable" but honestly, I can't even do my damn assignments when I'm using them over there. So yes, my vote goes to IE for worst internet browser.
11/21/2014 / Staff Collab 2014
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I'm going to be different and say Safari for Mac. I know that it's super-quick and amazing and whatnot but... I have this intense dislike for it that probably says more about me than it does about the browser itself. For one, I really dislike its design. I find it uglier than pretty much any IE variant, and that's saying a lot. Also, every time I go into an Apple Store and am forced to use it, it just seems the most unintuitive browser to use. IE may have its legions of faults, but at least you know what you get. With Safari, it advertises complete intuitiveness, but to this day I find it ridiculously hard to use.
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
linkinpark187
Computer Tech

There was a time when FireFox was good, but at this point I think it's one of the worse.

As a side not, I'm not sure why everyone is having the problems with Opera that they are. I use a combination of both Opera and IE and have had no problems thus far.

Many thanks to Shadow_Ball for the sig pic!

I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mochaccino
Unhatched Egg

IE & Safari for Windows. They're very slow, they crash A LOT, they aren't responsive at a lot of times.

My favorite for a long time has been Firefox, However I don't exactly remember why I had to download Chrome and it blew me away! it was a lot faster and it has an absolute ease of use, they only put what the user actually needs, you don't see a billion bar on the top of the page like explorer does and it is faster than Firefox. Therefore it became my official favorite.
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
Safari sucked for me due to the flash player restarting every 5 minutes or so, basically ruining any chance I had at fully enjoying the music I would be listening to.

Gotta love the high life.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Quote:
If you going to say IE, please provide a legitimate reason. Saying it's slow and clunky, and doesn't have a good rendering engine is complete ********. Learn to use IE9/10, and then come back and provide an answer... and that answer would be that it's great.
Using the same adjectives, I'll assume you we're referring to my post. I was agreeing with you and referring to Opera. IE9 is fine. The rest of the post should clarify that.

I will add that, while I love Chrome for other platforms, it's rather poor for iOS. Apart from being slow (and having a fat address bar in view CONSTANTLY) it tends to have poor memory management, especially on the iPad, where I can only assume the pages take up more memory due to the massive resolution. This means that if you have more than a few tabs open, they will reload if you switch away from them because it can't hold all of the tabs simultaneously. The same goes for Incognito mode - it reloads the tabs when you switch modes. Safari doesn't suffer from this.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
All the browsers are pretty much the same in my opinion, but the one that I've had the worst experience with is Google Chrome on my MacBook tbh.

...it's freaking 3 GB guys

Old October 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Using the same adjectives, I'll assume you we're referring to my post. I was agreeing with you and referring to Opera. IE9 is fine. The rest of the post should clarify that.

I will add that, while I love Chrome for other platforms, it's rather poor for iOS. Apart from being slow (and having a fat address bar in view CONSTANTLY) it tends to have poor memory management, especially on the iPad, where I can only assume the pages take up more memory due to the massive resolution. This means that if you have more than a few tabs open, they will reload if you switch away from them because it can't hold all of the tabs simultaneously. The same goes for Incognito mode - it reloads the tabs when you switch modes. Safari doesn't suffer from this.
I was talking to everyone hating on it just because it's "IE". I was actually happy to see someone agree that IE9 is fine. :D
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:42 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Actually IE9 blocks 96.6% of malware, while firefox and chrome block under 5% of malware.

That's in a controlled environment with known malware, as far as I could tell from the article. I'm still wary of it because it does still have a huge advantage over the rest in terms of market share, and that alone makes it more likely to be targeted than any other browser.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

Well it'd depend on certain variables, like what operating system you're using and what version of whatever browser. For example like donj said safari is pretty badly coded on windows, and I'm not sure if this is still applicable but I know that chrome used to cause kernel panics on macs for whatever reason.
It's also pretty well known now that the older versions of IE are pretty atrocious, the newer versions aren't that bad but they still have a few bugs/features that get on my nerves. Like the fact that each tab shows as a new window on the windows 7 task bar.

Quote:

To be honest, even if that is true it's probably because the majority of people who write these malware and other malicious software will probably target IE. Not because it's a bad browser, but because it's the default so the majority of people who don't know much about a computer or how to spot when you have some malicious software will be using it.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links