The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Advertise here
I'm trying this right now! Playing some Youth Lagoon in the background while I'm trying to go to sleep. So far, it's not working. Have any of you guys ever tried to use music to help you fall asleep? What did you listen to and how did you listen to it (i.e. headphones or speakers)? Did it even work?

Go!

Old September 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Music keeps me up. I can't sleep with any sounds going on around me other than the sound of a fan and natural sounds coming from outside, like rain and thunder.
Old September 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM
White_Arcanine
Lonely and annoying.

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Music keeps me up. I can't sleep with any sounds going on around me other than the sound of a fan and natural sounds coming from outside, like rain and thunder.
This. I always need my mind clear when I'm trying to sleep. ...And music doesn't really help me with that.
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
I used to have a playlist for sleep time and I'd let it go on and on while I tried to sleep and I'd try to remember the last song I heard when I woke up. And then I would go check last.fm to see how quick I fell asleep going by the last song I heard prior to falling asleep. It never really made me fall asleep, cause I'd listen and reflect depending on the song and how it made me feel, especially when I do a lot of thinking at night in my bed. But usually I was already really tired and I don't like the room being silent when I go to bed. It freaks me out.

I don't do that anymore though. I do however use ProtonJonSA's Superman 64 LP to fall asleep though. The music in that game is so bland that it luls me and then I laugh at the commentary so I can go to sleep happy.
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:57 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
400th post, woot!

Yes, I've tried falling asleep to music. As nice as the music sounded, the headphones were too bulky and in the way, and the music was...distracting. Perhaps that's because it was Disney I was listening to. :/
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:59 PM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I usually listen to music before going to bed , but not sure if that counts as using it to help me sleep. I sometimes put on quiet peaceful ambient or classical music (like Adam Young of Owl City's ambient project, Port Blue) to me sleep and it works alright. It calms me enough to want to go to sleep. I use to have sleep timer playlist on my iPod with soft music just for sleeping. I worked alright until my iPod broke.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I can never sleep with music... I'm too fixated on listening so I forget to sleep :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:49 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

Nature: Relaxed
The only album I've successfully fallen asleep/slept to is Hliðskjálf by Burzum. It's dark ambient, so it's very easy to relax to.
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:11 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I can't actually fall asleep without music. I hate going to sleep when nothing is playing, I just hate the silence. I can't fall asleep if a DVD or something is playing in the background, either, it makes me want to stay awake and watch. Music is my only option, I just put my earphones in and drift off. I usually wake up lying on my iPod or my earphones wrapped around my arm or something but idc. The music I actually fall asleep to is usually glee. idec what people say it helps me sleep so....
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:32 AM
Rambagos
Mime Jr.

Nature: Modest
Yeah, sometimes classical music can make me drowsing. I listen the music with headphones, browsing with my Android and lie down to the bed. That will make me sleeping in about 30-80 minutes. Its all because the melody of music. They made my eyes heavy for still awake :D
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Esper

Only rarely do I listen to music to fall asleep. It usually doesn't help. For me, it's got to be music I know really well. It helps if it's also vocals-light (or has no vocals at all) and is low-energy.

I would use headphones because that helps drown out any other sounds that might be keeping me from sleeping.

This is some of what I'd listen to.

Spoiler:

deviantart blog pair
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Mochi

Used to do it when I was 12-13, never been able to do it since then.

But I sleep easily if the TV is on, just can't do music. Iunno.
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Steller the Raichu
Mutant

Nature: Jolly
I made some hypnosis tunes and they made me fall asleep.

Pokemon4Ever!

Call me Steller

I take Custom Pokemon Card Requests Here: http://pikachu25sci95vt.deviantart.com/
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I actually can't fall asleep to music. Even if it is some sort of lullaby thing or very soft. It actually wakes me up more than anything :cc I am a very light sleeper.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:44 AM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
Community Supporter

I'm not sure whether music actually helps me or not to be true. I tend to find headphones too much of a distraction when I'm tossing and turning, but don't really have a stereo to use or anything. Things I have listened to in the past though would be Damien Rice and Ludovico Einaudi, so east-listening really. I wouldn't listen to anything overly full of energy.

Most commonly I listen to audio-books to help me to sleep. I find those are the most soothing. However, then I find myself not remembering some of what was said when I fell asleep so it's a win-lose situation.

the internet is full of people who refuse to be nice to others
because they feel that this makes them superior
that's lame
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
I've slept to heavy metal on several occasions. Usually on lengthy car trips I put the earphones in and doze off. I've played metal through the stereo a few nights and I did fall asleep to it but I think the earphones are more effective for me.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Nature: Quiet
For the past couple weeks, I have been listening to music as I fall asleep almost every night. It doesn't seem to matter what type of music it is as long as I enjoy it. The only downside is my earphones get all tangled up in my sleep and I had to replace a pair before because one of the earbuds died and listening to music out of one ear is not very enjoyable.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
During car rides I would have music in and be getting some rest unless I'm driving. Then I use music to keep myself awake. When I'm in bed though sometimes I can fall asleep to music, but it's usually a light sleep and wake up several times. Only when I'm extremely tired do I fall asleep to music then.

Other than that, more than not music wakes me up. When my sister puts on her music while doing her morning things before school it typically wakes me up and I lay around half-sleep until she's off to school.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM
Rodriguezjames55
No Jokes #MegaCharizard

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
at night im in my bed iphone in my hand with headphones in my ears listening to linkin park
i can fall asleep without it but it takes 5 times as long to fall asleep i'd recommend trying it
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Just like Patchisou Yutohru mentioned, I can't sleep with sounds on except for the fan or the sounds of nature, but for me it must be a bit on the colder side, I need to be in a comfy position on the bed. Otherwise I will just be lying in bed turning from one side to another.

Once in a while I will fall a sleep watching a TV show or movie that is on but after I had a big meal.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: X - Location: Coumarine City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 1/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 4
Old October 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Antemortem
it's the end of all things

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Absolutely! I just jam a pair of 'buds in, crank up my regular playlist of favorites and close my eyes. It's a little difficult to resist singing along to the tracks, but I end up muscling through and falling asleep everytime. I often can't fall asleep otherwise so it's all good in the 'hood.
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
NO

I can usually "relax" with music on, but if I want to go out like sleeeeeeep I need to put it away. The earbuds-on-pillowcase sound is so annoying, and I hate the pressure.

But it usually keeps me up :P

Old October 4th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
With me, I'll just say that I rarely can get to sleep without music. So I always have music playing when I go to bed. Now, sometimes the music keeps me awake and sometimes it helps me drift to sleep, but I know that I can't fall asleep in total silence.

I do try to listen to softer music at night and that seems to help relax me... unless I simply can't get to sleep.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Plumpyfoof

Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
I struggle falling asleep all together, it usually takes my body around 2 hours of rolling in bed to realise "Oh wait it's sleepy time!" and then I get drowsy.
Music helps me get to this stage faster other than watching the clock tick over.

Also I HATE fans, they're so annoying when I'm trying to sleep which is why I hate sleeping in the Summer. The sound it's just so ridiculous.
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
This only works for me if its like, classical music or something. xD And I have to be tired in the first place for that to work, so no, music does not help me sleep.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here