• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking/Editing the Fire Red Title Screen [NO GLITCHY TILES]

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Hey Guys, this is a tutorial on how to change the Fire Red title screen background. You know, where the flames are. Many tutorials, both on forums and videos show an almost perfect method, with the exception of the infamous glitchy tiles in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. It makes any game hack look tacky and unprofessional. Any words in bold will have a definition at the bottom. If you prefer video explanations rather than text and (a few) images check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUrTkfH59pE (made by me :P) It's 40 minutes long, but it's light hearted and stuff :) So without further a due, let's start :D

Stuff you'll need:
MS Paint/Image editing software
IrfanView/Something that can Index the image
NTME (Nameless TileMap Editor)
unLZ-GBA (No idea :P)
APE (Advanced Palette Editor)
FSF (Free Space Finder)
VBA (Visual Boy Advance)

Choosing a background

Spoiler:

Indexing an image

Spoiler:

Oh no! My first colour is different on IrfanView even though I changed the first pixels colour!

Spoiler:

Turning a TileMap into a TileSet

Spoiler:

Putting it on the ROM

Spoiler:

Putting in the correct Palette

Spoiler:

Last step is to check your work on VBA :)

Definition List
Bold: Thicker text :P
TileSet: An image that contains a set of tiles needed to create a TileMap, most definitely no two tiles will be the same which is what differentiates this from a TileMap
TileMap: Made using the tiles from a TileSet to create the actual image that will be shown
Index[ed][ing]: From what I know it's changing the image so that it's locked on using 16 colours
Palette: A set of colours used in an image
Offset: A code that the ROM used to determine what it's using where.

Credit to TheTheTheThe and DawnRyder on Pokecommunity, after reading their tutorials and kinda getting to grips with the programs I worked it out.

If there is anyway to make this clearer or if I've written anything rong wrong feel free to tell me!

Hope this has helped everyone :)
Good luck and Happy Hacking!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
Hi Bilaterus.Thanks for the tutorial.It is awesome.I understood it easily.I am going to try it.

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Hi Bilaterus.Thanks for the tutorial.It is awesome.I understood it easily.I am going to try it.

Great! Let me know if (more like when) it works or if there are any parts that need better explaining.

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
FireRed & Pokemon + Flames

Great Tutorial!

Just one thing.

i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l507/Under241/Problem.png

Add http to that. Pokecommunity doesn't allow me to post links.

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Great Tutorial!

Just one thing.

i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l507/Under241/Problem.png

Add http to that. Pokecommunity doesn't allow me to post links.

Ok let's start with the flames in the background.
What you have forgotten to do is set a transparent colour, or to be more accurate a helpful transparent colour. You need to change the first pixel on the image (the top left hand corner) to a colour you won't use on your background. (So for example for you you could use a pink/red). You would probably need to do this before indexing the image. Make sure you make a tile that can replace the transparent colour pixel bit when you put it on NTME. And on NTME just don't use that block. To check which colour is your transparent one, go on IrfanView and go on Image>palette>edit Pallette and the first colour there will become the transparent one.

To remove the *shudder* glitchy tiles, I can only assume your background is not fulfilling the three sacred rules.

Let me know what happens and I'll see if I can help more :)

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Ahhh!

Yeah.... I'm very sorry but I've just spent about 40 minutes trying to do the above tutorial. I finally worked it out... so very tired (Head wise) I'm really not in the mood to try this again to no avail. I'll try this tomorrow and tell you how it goes.

Thank you very much

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Just... tried again.

Didn't work :( Again.

Still got flames and glitchy tiles.

* Sigh *

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Just... tried again.

Didn't work :( Again.

Still got flames and glitchy tiles.

* Sigh *

If you don't mind posting the link of your background image (with or without the http :P) then can I have a go at sorting it out?

Last edited:

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Thank you very much,

fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/158/c/7/Ilex_Forest_by_Delthero.jpg

I'm just using someones picture to test it out. Does that breach copyright.... I hope not.

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
I'm sure you'll be glad to see this image after your hours of toil,

Spoiler:

Let me explain here what I did and what you need to do, and then I guess I'll put it in the first post too;

Firstly make sure the image in .PNG, when I first downloaded it it was .JPEG.
Also make sure before starting these steps that the image is already sized (less than 256px and both dimensions divisible by 8).

Next open the image with IrfanView and decrease the colours to 256.
Go to Image>Pallette>Edit Pallette and change the first colour (usually a dark colour) to a colour not obviously present in the background (like red in this case).

Spoiler:

Now take that image onto Paint, and use the colour pick tool (pipette) and left click the alt colour (red or whatever, I'm not going to keep saying it), and using the colour pick tool again right click on a colour that is similar to the dark colour (the one we changed with alt colour at the beginning).
Now select the rubber tool and paint over the red by holding down right click and going over the entire alt colour areas. If done correctly only the alt colour will be changed. Do this to the whole image and then put an alt colour square in the top left hand corner or anywhere where you can replace it on NTME.

Spoiler:

Take this newly coloured in image onto IrfanView and decrease the colours to 16.
If you go onto Image>Pallette>Edit Pallette you'll notice the alt colour has skipped down the line again.
This time note down the RGB (Red Green Blue) values of the alt colour and first colour. Then switch them.

Spoiler:

Go onto Paint and using the rubber and colour pick tool trick replace the colours again. (Now that I'm writing this I'm sure this method can be refined…)

Spoiler:

There you go! Your image now should work if you follow the tutorial from the 'Putting it on to the ROM' section.

Hope this helps! Of course me being nosey as usual let me know if it works and if this explanation is clear enough!

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Yeah....

So, what happened?

When it goes to the title screen.. it doesn't. Black Screen and this sound as if it's trying to load the title screen (Very buggy sound) and it goes on loop until I close the rom.

* Sigh *

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
I'm not sure what's wrong, maybe you just used a dodgey ROM? Did you replace the background or try it out on a fresh ROM? If you want you can skip most of the steps and just save the tileset image I did and try inserting it.

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Could you send me the raw and pal files?

I'll see if it's a dodgy rom.

Thanks for your help again :) It's really helpful to a beginner like me :)

Thanks

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
I will but not at the moment, I'm using my phone to reply and I was just about to go sleep :( I'll try put them up first thing tomorrow.

There's no need to thank me :) every person should be this helpful to everyone!

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Thank you very much :) I'll probably have another try at it with a completely clean Rom.

I'll edit this to tell you how successfully it went :) If.

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Dear god... it's beautiful :)

Okay, so a log of everything I've done.

I should mention first you might want to change your link to my picture to http:// from http, it's not displaying :(

Okay, Log:

I used the bugged ROM and it didn't work. With tears in my eyes I deleted it.
I keep backups with names now, so I had no hardness when I recovered the backup.
I used the backup, however it still insisted on displaying the buggy tiles and fireworks.
So, with tears in my eyes again I said, f**k it, let's just go back to the first ROM. I've not even done anything neccessary with it anyway.
So I went back to the first ROM and I did everything correctly. Getting this!
Worked.png

So with tears of joy in my eyes I cried for the best!

I now am pretty much fluent with this entire method :) Lol, one thing that comes out of it well.
I am going in a linear direction so I now am going to change the introduction if you want to know :)
I'm hoping to get a few results by the end of the month (October)

Thank you very much for all your help :)

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Yeah! I'm so glad it worked! Sorry about that link though :P and I'm sorry you had to delete some of your ROMs.

I'm happy it worked out for the best, just remember this feeling of acheivementn next time your stuck on a script or anything!

By the looks and sounds of your ROM and your persistence I better be the first one to test it ForYouu! (See what I did there? ;)

If you need any more help feel free to ask me, but I'm sure these forums pretty much cover everything you need to know :)

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
Yeah! I'm so glad it worked! Sorry about that link though :P and I'm sorry you had to delete some of your ROMs.

I'm happy it worked out for the best, just remember this feeling of acheivementn next time your stuck on a script or anything!

By the looks and sounds of your ROM and your persistence I better be the first one to test it ForYouu! (See what I did there? ;)

If you need any more help feel free to ask me, but I'm sure these forums pretty much cover everything you need to know :)

Haha :)

I sure will,

Ooh, guess what just happened. Training in Victory Road prior to Elite Four (Heart Gold) and I just got a shiny Golbat :P

Lol,

Actually, I do have something to ask, two things actually.

1. Do you know how to change the "Pokemon Fire Red" to something of my choosing?

&

2. You know the credits at the very start of the game, not the Game Freak Logo but the 1996-20xx, do you know how to change that to whatever I want?

Thanks for your time :) It's much appreciated again.

Also, like my sig?

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Haha! Looks like everything is going your way today :D

Well I found this link to change that other thingy (the copyright stuff and logo) so you can check that out.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=286786&highlight=Change+fire+red+logo

Other than that all I know is that the unLZ-GBA offset for the Pokemon symbol is 2011...
What you said :P

I'm a bit busy atm but I might mess around with it and see if someone's does a tutorial or if I could just do it :O

Oh and your sig is really clever :P

Last edited:
Back